Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Kid, 9 years old December 27, 2017

Best movie of the year!!!!!!!!!!

So good but it is for 8 and over because you have to understand plot twists and murder. So good for older kids I am 9 and I loved it.

Kid, 9 years old December 12, 2017

NOT THAT NICE!!!!!!!

It was a nice movie ,but I think it could be much better.So ,their were some nice movements but I think that the movie could be more long. I think that in this movie there are a lot of relatoins so you need to understand a lot.Any way I think that they tried their best.But i am not satisffied. It could be much better.Ok so enjoy the movie. bye!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKierson March 9, 2018

Okay

The kid's acting, I would give a 2 or 3 of 5 just because I can see myself being stiff watching this movie. I think the kid should have more charisma into going into this.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHgfbmuigmi March 7, 2018

Quite disappointing, gets too much credit from viewers in my opinion.

Okay, first off, let's talk about the Frozen short that everybody is complaining about: Olaf's Frozen Adventure. Olaf's Frozen Adventure is something I enjoyed, to be honest. It didn't take away from my excitement for the film itself and it was very sweet in my opinion, even though it did drag on for more than it had to. I would watch it again, paying the same price I paid to see Coco. The music was great, as expected. I was humming it when I walked out of the theater. Okay, the main event. Coco. Just to be clear, I'm not a hyper-sensitive kid. But there were times when I found the movie a little too dark. Also, no, I didn't like the movie, but that doesn't mean I walked in thinking I was going to hate it. I'm a BIG Disney fan. I had been waiting for this film for MONTHS. I was very excited to see it, and thought for sure it would be a good movie. So let's talk about the good. This movie, like most Disney movies, sets the mood very quickly. If Frozen got you in the winter-y mood, that wouldn't affect this. In the first few seconds, the film definitely feels Mexican. It also has a very nice plot that was almost perfectly structured. And the music, as always, was amazing, same as the animation. About what you'd expect from Disney and Pixar. However, it's all about the execution, and here's what I didn't like about the film. First of all, Miguel's family is basically what you'll be seeing for the first few minutes of the movie, and they do not leave a good impression. They're shown to be very mean and possibly emotionally abusive. Not likable characters at all, and definitely went overboard. Second, Miguel isn't a perfect protagonist, which I greatly respect, but he does steal a guitar from a museum. This doesn't bother me too much, but somehow, playing said guitar makes him half-dead. Why? I don't remember the movie explaining it ONCE. I'm assuming it's just like how riding the surfboard got Mac and Brady into Wet Side Story in the Disney Channel Original Film, Teen Beach Movie. Not a very good element, but it worked for Teen Beach Movie, so I let it slide. After this, the movie is extremely drawn out. Warning: you WILL get bored after all the exposition has been covered. Just like the short before the movie, it definitely drags on. And yes, just like any Disney film, there's humor. Did I find it funny? No, no I did not. A lot of it was dark humor and just wasn't funny at all, or referenced something from the beginning of the film, which I didn't laugh at because I didn't notice it to begin with. What's scary about this film? Well, thinking about how I would have seen it as a child, almost nothing. But then you have the "big reveal" (spoilers). So, the character that was made out to be Miguel's great-great-grandfather all along actually wasn't (*sarcasm* shocker...) and actually poisoned the character who was made out to be the "tag-along-friend" for the whole movie when they were both living. At this point, I was just watching the movie, like, poison isn't uncommon in TV and movies, so I wasn't really surprised, but then they show a flashback. This flashback, I think, went a little too far for the PG rating. I think it deserves an Extreme-PG rating or something, because this will scare kids. In said flashback, this one character is poisoned (as mentioned previously) and the movie shows him collapsing onto the ground as the flashback fades out and transitions back into the movie. I think that if I saw this when I was a kid under the age of 10, I would have been scared. I'm almost certain of that, actually. The reason why is because I remember seeing a Sailor Moon Stars episode when I was 9 or 10 that had all the sailor guardians trapped in worlds where they would fight Nehelenia and be weakened to the point where they couldn't fight anymore and could be trapped in mirrors. I was fine until I had to watch each character collapse by twos. It genuinely scared me; it's too much for anyone that age. So the movie clearly goes a little too far here. After an epic battle to start the climax of the movie (I have nothing to say about this, it's very well done), Miguel returns to the living world and immediately grabs the guitar from the museum and runs towards his house. Here, I thought "oh, he's going to play 'Remember Me'! What a nice conclusion." And that's not what happened. He ran to his house and begged for his great-grandmother to remember her father instead of playing the song on the guitar that he just STOLE, which would have made her remember. This carries on for far too long, and by the time he actually plays the song, the scene loses its effect and just feels forced. Everything from here on out is perfectly done. The movie would have been much better if it had good pacing and knew when it was going too far. What I do admire about this film is that the message isn't "believe in yourself" or "follow your dreams" or anything like that. It starts out that way, but then, surprisingly, takes a turn and instead the message is "you should follow your dreams...but sometimes there are more important things", "more important things" meaning family and friends. I was really impressed with this. It's too bad the rest of the movie didn't impress me as well. I would also like to add that, in addition to all the amazing animation in this movie, every single one of the notes and chords played on any guitar is correct. This is the first movie to do this and it really impressed me.

Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2018

Awesome movie!!!

(spoiler alert) Really good movie! I loved it! It has some drinking/drugs/smoking, but it's not too much for a 7 year old or older. It doesn't have any sex or bad language, but it is violent. It isn't too violent for 7 year olds or older, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone younger. It's an exciting, fun movie with creative Dia de los Muertos decorations in the background. It doesn't have scary halloween skeletons that give you nightmares, but nice, Day of the Dead Mexican skeletons that just want to party. There is one part where one person poisons wine for another person on purpose, and another part where he tries to kill a little kid by throwing him off a balcony. But not much else. It does have good messages, though. I really loved it and would recommend it to kids and adults 7 and up.

Teen, 17 years old Written byAlexander Belaun. April 19, 2018

The best Disney/Pixar movie i've ever seen!!

The movie was very good, i think a lot of people LOVED the movie. I almost went out of the theather because of the Frozen clip, because i thought i got the wrong room!! It was great. I do not recomend to watch it with sensitive kids. It's really sad.

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2018

AMAZING

soo heartwarming

Teen, 14 years old Written byChloe.crowder March 3, 2018

Ok movie

Wasn’t my favorite may be of interest to the younger folks but very age appropriate movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoibird February 17, 2018

My rating: PG

Really fun movie, with great messages!

Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2018

Amazing movie!

Pixar truly never disappoints. Coco is such a wonderful film. It has a great storyline, great characters, excellent music, and beautiful animation! It also educates non-Mexican viewers about Mexican culture, and many Mexicans and Mexican-Americans have praised Coco for its accurate representation of their culture. In particular, I was impressed with the scene where the main character, Miguel, watches his favorite musician play the guitar attempts to learn every bit of the song he's playing on guitar. As a musician, I was very impressed with the care that the animators took to make sure the chords were exact. The voice acting in this movie is amazing, especially from newcomer Anthony Gonzalez, who has a bright future ahead of him. I didn't think this movie was scary at all, but it is pretty sad, so if your kid isn't fond of sad movies, then this movie isn't for them. The message is great, and not at all the generic "follow your dreams and don't let anything stop you!" message I was expecting. All in all, see this movie!

Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2018

Beautiful, Saddest Movie I've ever seen

Coco is a beautiful movie that has great characters, wonderful songs, and a story that made me cry. It teaches about the importance of family and about dia de los muertos (day of the dead)

Kid, 9 years old February 2, 2018

Amazing coco

It is great

Teen, 13 years old Written bysinnarg December 30, 2017

Must see of 2017

This movie is one of the most beautiful animated movies I have ever seen. Not only that but it has a great story with some incredible twists that will just blow your mind. There is part of the movie were there is a talk about a murder and stuff that some kids six and seven might find a little strange depending on there level of sensitivity but that would be the only reason for someone to be scared.Even if you don't have kids or grand kids to take you should still see this movie because it is one of the great animated movies of the past few years, definitely going to be a strong canidate for the oscars this year.

Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2018

The Best Pixar Movie Ever!

This is one of the favorite Pixar movies ever. I don't think the skeletons or the spirits are creepy at all, however, I think the great-grandma is kind of scary.
Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2018

Great movie

Some people think that it is a rip-off of the book of life, but it's not. It's complety different. Just beacuse Disney and Pixar made two movies about the same culture doesn't mean they copied the ideas! In one part, a guy drugs achocol so there is that.

Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2018
I like this a lot. It's a little embarrassing in some spots, though ("nude" skeleton etc) and it's kind of scary maybe for little kids. It also has some drinking. But it has a great message and made me want to remember my ancestors and stuff. And the music and plot are really good.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaxGirl13 March 22, 2018

Amazing!

This movie is fun for the whole family. My younger siblings and even my dad liked it a lot! It has beautiful animation and a great storyline, as well as teaching kids about the holidays in other cultures.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2018

great movie

okay kinda like frozen. but over all good. reminded me of a ninjago ep from s 5. good music. that remember me song was good. and yet a week later i went to target. and there the song was. stupid was like the focus word

Teen, 14 years old Written byNadia Cloud March 20, 2018

Really beautiful film but very scary for minors.

Coco was an amazing film. Had a great storyline, outstanding imagery, and compelling characters. I think that kids should not watch it because it is very dark and scary and a character dies from drinking alcohol. I definitely recommend this to people 17 and up.

Kid, 9 years old March 16, 2018

Wonderfully animated film may be scary for sensitive kids

I saw Coco with my sister and dad and all three of us loved it! Coco is about a boy named Miguel who loves music and playing instruments, but whose family isn’t supportive of his dream to become a musician. It has some elements that you’ll see in any typical Disney movie, but it goes deeper and has more depth than some other fairy-tale or Disney adaptations. The movie was amazingly animated, and some of the visual effects onscreen were out- of -this -world, just positively breathtaking. I am not usually a huge Disney fan unlike some other people I know, but I will admit that this is one of my favorite 2017 movies. Coco won the 2018 Oscar for best animated and I think this movie deserved that award, for both the plot and the animation. There are some bad reviews on this site about Coco, but any negative reviews are wrong! I respect the idea that everyone’s opinions should be respected, but I can’t come up with even one reason why someone wouldn’t like Coco. Parents should know that the mature content includes some drinking, about 3 out of 5, flashbacks to a murder (by poisoning), and the fact that the family in the movie is not supportive of their son’s dream might be upsetting to sensitive viewers or movie viewers under 7+. So if your kid is sensitive you might want to wait until a) they are older b)Coco comes out on DVD, c)the kid is more mature. But if your kid is interested in this film, I recommend that you let them see it if you think they can handle it. This movie is great for all ages, kids and adults. Some of the elements of fantasy, educational value, characters, plot elements, and animation may not appeal to adults at beginning, but once you learn more about Coco the appeal is so strong you’ll probably want to watch it over and over again. I am impressed by the voice actors and the animators who worked on this movie. The world would benefit from seeing movies like this more often. If anything, Coco is definitely a diverse film. Movies that highlight the Mexican culture in a kid-appropriate PG film that has some scares and suspense like Coco does, I definitely call diverse in a very good way. Coco is a stand-alone movie, and there really is no other movie like it. I enjoyed this film very much and I hope to see it over and over again. Now, for parents who are concerned: I agree that some content is mature, and may be more than your kids are used too, but you should know that the good content overwhelms the bad. This may seem a bit weird, but some of the inappropriate stuff in this film will be hard to understand for younger kids and they may not even realize it is inappropriate for them. Coco provokes many discussions and is something everyone should see.