All member reviews for Confessions of a Shopaholic

Labels and products galore in frothy book-based romcom.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKatie-Kakes October 29, 2009

Loved it

this is a brilliant movie for the whole family to enjoy. lots of shopping, shoes and bags but a great moive
Kid, 10 years old April 18, 2011

shop shopSHOP!. not bad lanuage but edgy . best movie ever
Kid, -1 years old August 8, 2010

watch it

Why is this movie even rated 12+?????? There's nothing that inappropriate! If you wanna watch it alone i think you should be about 8, if you wanna watch it with your parents about 6 but if you're 5 I don't recommend it
Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written byFunMommy October 11, 2009

teaches a tough life lesson in a funny and positive way

Good for older children because you can discuss the effects of overspending on not only your wallet but also your life. Ends on a positive note of changing yourself.
Parent of a 13 and 15 year old Written byswtpeaami July 25, 2009

Cute movie. Deals with reality and how "it all comes out on wash day" - --- The lead actress is in debt over her head and is giving advice on how to save money. -- She gets caught and the story unravels. She sells all of her goods and pays off her debts. (but how she does it, is adorable) Loved it! Grab your daughters and friends and have a girls night in with Confessions! It's a great chick flick!
Teen, 13 years old Written byskyblue524 August 18, 2014

Thoroughly Enjoyed

I really enjoyed this film! It was very funny but also poses some serious questions about debt and material possessions that can kick start interesting conversations. But underneath it all it is a true love story and worth watching!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 4, 2014

Fun, Funny, and Less Expensive than Prada

Rebecca Bloomwood loves--er, lives--to shop. When she was little, her mom insisted on buying her practical, but ugly, stuff rather than the flimsy, but sparkly things other girls her age got and were considered popular for. As a result, Rebecca now has twelve credit cards, which she has maxed out. Worse than that, the magazine she works for has folded, necessitating that she find a job. As in, now. But the only job immediately available is at Successful Saving. You might as well hire a germophobe to write for a gardening magazine. Until, that is, Becky settles into her columnist role and finds herself falling for editor Luke Brandon. Now if she could just keep him from discovering her dirty little debt-infused secret... Positive lessons abound here. Becky learns plenty about being fiscally responsible, including the difference between what she needs and what she wants. She also acknowledges that her shopping is an addiction, something she uses to make herself feel good but that never succeeds for long. This helps her renew, and improve upon, a close friendship the addiction nearly costs her. For their part, the characters around Becky learn about forgiveness, friendship, and solidarity. Some caveats exist that make this an unsuitable film for children. Becky and other characters swear, drink, and discuss sex. Becky frequently lies to cover her addiction or goes to great lengths for must-have items, such as smashing the block of ice in which she froze a credit card. She also repeatedly puts off an overzealous debt collector with outrageous excuses as to why she can't pay. The collector doesn't play the bigger person, either. Instead, he confronts Becky in the most public and humiliating manner possible and shows no remorse. For these reasons, keep the kids out of the boutique, but for others, come along for the shopping trip. Just leave the purse at home.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKatnissArrow5 March 15, 2014

ACCOMPANY UR KIDS!!

Its a good movie for (older) teens and adults!! REALLY GOOD THOUGH
Written byAnonymous February 28, 2014

Typical Chick Flick

I love chick flicks, but I found this one dull. I like the love interest, but I found the female lead character annoying. The end was also kind of inconclusive.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvballglam August 2, 2013

hysterrically funny!!!!

Seriously one of the funniest movies I have ever seen!!!! I do not have any complaints about it!!! my little brother even watched it with me and was laughing and rom coms aren't really his thing!!! totally recommend!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byLittle Cupcake July 14, 2013

Hilarious Film Teaches a Good Lesson

This film is just pure joy. There's nothing to dislike. Rebecca Bloomwood is so funny and likeable, and Luke Brandon is just adorable. The film has a great message that's very relevant in today's economic crisis: that you shouldn't let your material desires take advantage of you and your budget. Watch it! I don't know how CommonSense gave it just two stars... that's harsh! It was so funny and was one of my favorite films. Go watch it now! :)
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2013

Positive message sets a good example of life.

This movie is brilliant!! Sex and language and drinking is minimal and not even worth mentioning. Has nothing for parents to worry about. Definitely sends out a positive message to children. Learn how to handle money and credit cards are NOT FREE MONEY! so spend wisely. overall a fab movie based on a shopaholics life style.
Parent Written byMomTime March 3, 2013

Excellent Tween Movie

How hard is it to find a good tween movie for your girls? Very hard! This movie has characters that are engaging, a harmless story plot, lots of fashion and fun color & high entertainment value. My 9 & 11 yr old loved it and I was relieved to find a fun Friday night movie that wasn't too young, but stays away from teen topics that are increasingly too adult. I give it a 2 thumbs up from a Mom's perspective to go ahead and show. Language alert: CSM should have put one mark for language. two bad words in movie (see c.s.m. under language), it's said so fast we almost missed it, I still thought the movie was the rare find for the tween set.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybb13 February 12, 2013

vhgvbjhg

Love! She did the right thing!
Teen, 14 years old Written bystylemusings December 29, 2011

What's the message?

As a girl, I think all of these stereotypical female characters are simultaneously annoying and disappointing. I am a fashion blogger, but I'd rather not be in debt. All of these romantic comedies tell women that they need a guy, and all of the couples are generic! Like...really generic. Anyway, I think if parents are going to watch this with their kid they should have a talk with them afterwards about not wasting all of your money on clothes and accessories...and moms and dads should also tell their daughters that you don't NEED a guy to be a successful woman. So...personally...I wouldn't bother watching this movie. If you like romantic comedy type films that center around materialistic women...watch Mean Girls, Clueless, or Legally Blonde. At least those movies have positive messages. This movie doesn't even have a message.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 September 13, 2011

Terrible. Skip it.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for some language and brief alcohol use.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymida22 July 31, 2011

mida22

i agree with what theflickchick said...there's a lot of stuff about bussiness and bills and stuff like that, but it's still a pretty good movie. Nothing too inappropriate, so ages 11+ BYE ;)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymumtaz July 12, 2011

original review

superb..! really enjoyed it....and hilarious too....
Kid, 12 years old May 2, 2011

Hilarious! Ok for young tweens

Very funny! some language includes 2 uses of a**, and 1 b****. One scene where Rabecca and her friend get drunk.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2011

Great movie

I barely remember this Movie but I do remember I loved it!