All member reviews for Contagion

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy September 9, 2011

Good for 14+, Disturbing Content may scare younger viewers

(Suggested MPAA Rating:) Rated PG-13 for Disturbing Content and Some Language Parents should know two things: This movie has a lot of disturbing content; a deadly virus spreads quickly, unexpectedly attacking the human race and quickly killing people, putting the whole world, and everyone else, as quarantine and highly dangerous. It spreads quickly and easily kills lots of people. The concept that this could very well happen brings a scary, apocalyptic reality into the plot of the movie. Note there is also a mildly gorey autopsy. There is also some language, as indicated by the MPAA's suggested rating. Many uses of sh-t, and lots of uses of -ss, h-ll, d-mn, and one use of f--k. Side Note: there is some violence and crime as citizens rob eachother of supplis in order to keep safe and stay alive. This is present as the virus smashes civilizations worldwide. Also, there are many brave people who put other's lives before theirs and sacrifice themselves/put themselves at risk so others could survive the virus and have enough time to find a cure. Good for ages 14+
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2011

NOT GOOD IF YOU'RE NOT A TEEN!!!!!!!

Not violence. However, I'm 12 and I was pretty darn scared, but not scared enough to leave the movie, almost, but not quite. My little 9 year old sister went, too and I was VERY surprised she lasted through the whole thing. I couldn't watch the otopsy. Incase you don't know what that is, this girl died from the disease and they needed to see if it had something to do with her skin and see how she died, so they literally cut into her brain and peeled her face skin off. It was disgusting and very graphic!! Watch out for lots of the parts in this movie!! It is for mature 11 year olds at the least! Be responsible, parents and think about if your kid would want to see this movie! Just because you may wanna see it, the kids are younger than you and may not understand the point and get scared and who would wanna scare their own kid?? This really is a movie I would reccomend seeing before your kid unless you're at least 13, but hey, I'm not a parent and don't wanna be for a while! ;-) Anyway, hope this helped and good luck!!
Kid, 12 years old February 5, 2012

A lot of Gory Stuff...

I loved this movie. (I have seen one other very gory scary movie, The Crazies, that I DO NOT recommend under ANY circumstances for kids under 14 so in comparison Contagion is good) The scariest parts are when, in the beginning, Gwenyth Paltrow's character has a seizure and dies (this is the picture of her with the big eyes on the cover of the movie), there are pictures of the dead/dying people that are a little scary (especially Matt Damon's son), and when Gwenyth Paltrow's character has an autopsy. In this scene, there is a close-up of her face that is a bit creepy (tell your kids to turn away from the movie now) and the doctors peel her skin back a little so the inside of her head is over her eyes!! I was grossed out! (may I remind you this is in comparison to the first pitchfork scene and the first morgue scene in The Crazies- look it up) And then they look at what is implied as her brain and a bit of fake blood squirts on to the doctor's mask. The worst language part is when someone is waiting in line for medicine and someone coughs behind her. She says "could you mind not coughing?" and he responds with a barely-there "f--k off, lady." There are other mentions of swears, but most kids my age know them and not to use them. I thought this movie would make me wash my hands more, but it has not made a huge difference. But if you are a germaphobe, I would not see it. Though, kids under 12 may not understand some legal/government parts of it, and you may have to explain it to them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMillyMolly November 1, 2011

weird movie

Saw this movie with a bunch of friends, and we were all grossed out by one part with Gwinith Paltrow. It had a very good plot, and kept it interesting. Though was a drama some parts made me giggle.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAlejandro12345 October 15, 2011

Yay germs!

This movie is thrilling, a little bit frightening for younger viewers, but very exciting. If you are a germ-a-phob then you will not enjoy it. Contagion is a must see movie! I suggest you see this film!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn October 1, 2011

Very scary and very effective in it's need to scare you silly, but not for germophobes (obviously)

Fear is real, as Contagion tells us, which actually does manage to scare most of it's audiences into submission of finally being against germs and bacteria, which was a task that took long enough too do, that of course would never be accomplished by a bunch of squeamish commercials. Still, this is a very well made and very effective thriller that will probably be intense for most younger teens, with many, many images of the sick, dying, dead and a very graphic autopsy scene. Also, there is infrequent but strong profanity, so most younger teens should certainly stay home for this one.
Kid, 10 years old September 23, 2011

im ten

there is alot im only ten
Kid, 9 years old September 13, 2011

PG-13

PG-13
Kid, 12 years old September 9, 2011

Dont Know Yet

saw the commercial at the imax theater seemed really dramatic gross and cool!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMackenzie Logan October 5, 2013

Very interesting

I found this movie really interesting. In some ways it could be said as a little bit confronting, and in other ways was a bit of a wake up call. When i say that the movie was a little bit confronting it is because people have seizures, adults and children die, a characters brain is examined for scientific purposes (you don't see anything in her brain, but you see the skin on her skalp pulled over her forehead with what looks like mini bits of brain) ect. This movie makes you realise how much stuff that you actually touch and how illnesses/viruses can be transferred so easily and how fast it could spread across the country. Gwyneth Paltrow is a main character in this movie, she is the first to get the virus and they were trying to figure out where she got it from. Personally I love Gwyneth, and I think that I like this movie a little less than I would have if Gwyneth wasn't in it, because at the very start she has a seizer, dies and is examined. I wouldn't recommend this movie for somebody under the age of 13.
Teen, 17 years old Written byrobostorm February 8, 2013

Deeply Disturbing.

This movie is highly disturbing. This is of course expected when it is about a world wide epidemic. However I, at age 16 (when I first saw it on BluRay), found some parts so disturbing that I was forced to break up watching it over multiple days and skip certain parts of it (namely the autopsy scene). Of course there are the 'visual' disturbing moments such as watching people undergo seizures, foam spewing from their mouths or seeing dead pallid people (including children) with grey foam gluing their mouths shut and a frightened look in their eyes (that was not intended to sound poetic, I simply have no idea how else to say it). The most distrubing being watching Gwyneth Paltrow having her head cut open as they perform an autopsy and not only seeing the bloodied skin (granted they did keep blood to a minimal, as in less than primetime Grey's Anatomy) being pulled away from the skull with her eyes wide open but also listening to the saw off screen. There is also the emotional disturbing moments. The parts that are inhumane. A man lying that he had the virus to make 4.5million dollars. People fighting and reverting to a more animalistic frame of mind as they fight for their own survival when they believe that they have found the cure. The people who have the cure giving poor villagers placebo instead. And then there are the long lasting disturbing things. How upon watching the movie I went to a mall in Toronto and found myself subconciously reluctant to touch stairway rails. To touch books at Chapters. To move used Newspapers off of tables or to even get into an elevator with a person who was coughing. I became paranoid of things that previously had never bothered me. Granted that was short term but I still think in that "you never know" mindset. I should note the similarity between this film's disease and ebola, the monkey killing disease, a very real fear that spread very quickly in many different countries in Africa and in Russia. The main differene between the two is that in this movie people died i a relatively 'clean' way and there is a cure. So you can say that the lessons learned in this film are good to know. The choices made were well done, enough disturbing to make people pay attention but not enough to border it being a horror movie. That said, do I think that this is fit for children to see? No. I do not. I think that it is a very serious film with very intense moments and events that impact your life beyond watching it. I know that they show this in schools in some grade 11 classes (or at least the do in Ontario) and that is the only reason why I set the age at 15. Personally I think that this should be a 16 and over movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrrateddrama September 4, 2012

Contagion (2011)

Great fictional, but no less realistic, picture of what could happen with desieses, and makes you overly conscious about hygiene. Violence: some intense looting, a forced arrest, brief robbery scene where people are shot, off camera, referance to rape (did he touch you?!, No, i promise, he did'nt touch me.) Sex: teen lays ontop of girlfriend. Language: f--k off!, bulls--t, s--t, d--n, god-d--n, h--l.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 24, 2012

Intense thriller

The content is mild and teens will be fine, but the theme may be a bit too much for the age the content is suitable for. A 10 or 11 year old could watch it, but the theme would be to much. Teens are fine
Teen, 13 years old Written byanna1999 July 21, 2012

pointless movie

Disturbing movie of an highly contagious disease that scared us all. The theory was that a disease was spreading throughout the world when people just touch each other or brush past each other. Horrid images of dead people and a surgical scene where a woman has the skin on her face peeled back in hospital after she died so the doctors can see what killed her. I closed my eyes but my 5 year old cousin watched it and looked a little surprised. Put me off becoming a doctor for the rest of my life!
Teen, 17 years old Written byNH258 July 14, 2012

Very calm and not scary.

Ok, my first impressions were like yours, typically - oh this movie must be quite a thriller and quite scary. However after watching it myself, I can say that it is not scary at all - the concept of an epidemic virus rapidly spreading is more scary itself, the movie however is actually quite calm and slow. The "scary moments" people mention like the autopsy is definately not what i was expecting - I was expecting some bloody, gory and disgusting scene - instead it was like some fake skin with some hair, no gore and nearly no blood. You didnt even see the part they cut or the contents of the head at all. Not scary. I dont recommend this movie, cause i found it boring, it's slow paced, and doesnt really have a climax to the movie at all. I don't understand why people found it scary, well I think it is due to the age, and maturity, if you let your imagination grasp the concept of the epidemic - then your mind will manipulate it and you'll over think it, but really, if you just watch the movie - it's not scary.. but rather calm and slow.
Teen, 14 years old Written byteen_n_happy June 13, 2012

It's the bomb!

Very, very good movie. I love it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 March 25, 2012

contagion is a weird movie

this is a very weird scary movie nothing else to say
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 23, 2012

cough cough!

not as disturbing as the trailer and reviews say. most graphic scene is the first death, where a woman has a seizure and froths at the mouth. she later dies and is used as an autopsy. lots of images of empty areas and discussion of "48% of the world has been wiped out."
Teen, 14 years old Written byLilLill March 10, 2012

watch with caution

I was dragged to this movie by my friend, and I was actually surprised. It was really good, except a bit disturbing. The autopsy scene was pretty traumatizing, along with when the victims of the disease were shown dead. This movie is not for young children because the message is not something they would understand, plus it is disturbing. One great thing about this movie is that it really reminds me on why I should ALWAYS wash my hands.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

Fine for tweens and teens--even my parents agree!

This is a great movie for older tweens to adults. I saw it (I'm 11) and it didn't seem scary at all. It is probably better for more mature kids, seeing as the plot is somewhat difficult to follow at times, but if you see it with your kid, you can most likely fill in those plot holes. Also, if you're a kid who's reading this, please note: it's not at all awkward to watch with parents. There's nothing in it that would make them never let you watch PG-13 again. There's very little "profanity" of any kind (language or *cough* otherwise, if you know what I mean.) and the most gorey thing was an autopsy. Some more squeamish people might find it alarming, but you should know that it lasted probably 90 seconds and younger kids wouldn't even know what they were looking at. Last, I will say this: the movie is WAY sad. Don't see it if you're not into crying, or at least welling up. In any case, this is a great movie that most teens and many tweens will be able to handle--just think about it if the kid in question is 10 or younger.