All member reviews for Coraline

Kid, 7 years old January 19, 2015

PG??

It's only PG, I think it should be R because it has so much scary parts!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydkasal000 January 19, 2015

I liked it

I thought it was good and when I first saw it I was just about to turn 10 and I loved it yes it was creepy one part that you need to skip it=s where the old girl is dancing and is wearing nothing but panties and things that cover her tits or nipples. Is scary but a good scary story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byceceb221 December 22, 2014

kinda too scary for kids

I tried watching this movie when i was 9 and it was so scary, i couldn't finish it but i always wanted to know what happens. I stopped at the part where she chased coraline out of the web. Im 14 and I still screamed during that part with the door and the hand. lol maybe I'm just a wuss but it was creepy.
Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2014

SCARY

make sure kids can handle scary stuff
Teen, 13 years old Written byDeeBear31 November 29, 2014

Horrifying

I watched this when I was younger and then stopped partially through. it was advertised as a kids movie about a cute girl going on a adventure but it was much darker then that. not to mention the blue ray I got had 3D glasses this shouldn't be watched by children under 10 but it depends on the kid
Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2014

This movie is so fun.

I liked the transformations. In reality the other mother is a witch, with a spider like body with needles for hands. kids had buttons sewn into their eyeballs so they could stay in the other world forever but the witch ate them like a spider. Coraline escapes and apprecicates what she has. I give it a 7 out of 10! My least favorite part is how whiny she is and kinda how shes mean. also she's 11.
Teen, 14 years old Written byZelda64L November 20, 2014

Coraline is wonderfully animated movie with dark and/or disturbing themes and scary moments for young children.

Coraline has a movie is wonderfully animated and you'll be stunned at the quality it produces. Story wise, it revolves around scary and/or disturbing themes such as the idea of a fake world with 'perfect' fake people, of having buttons sewn into someone's eyes (though this is never actually shown in the film it is a major part of it), and includes moments of near-death experiences. There is, however, one specific scene that showcases *ahem* half naked old ladies (although from a distance) and even remarks on a lady's bodices during the song sung for this scene. Personally, I didn't even notice the naked ladies and that one line until I rewatched it recently, despite Coraline obviously saying "They're practically naked!" The fact I didn't notice this scene until I was 14 makes me believe that this part will go right over most children's heads (and it is a relatively short scene). Other then that, there are no 'inappropriate' scenes. It is a generally disturbing and dark, yet fantastic movie. It trys to give out the message that nothing is perfect and that imperfection isn't as bad as it seems should be embraced. Coraline (the main character) is upset by her 'boring' and imperfect life following her move to a new town in Oregon. She is sassy and disobedient to her parents because she feels the need to rebel against the move that she 'never wanted in the first place'. She soons discovers a 'perfect' world with 'perfect' parents who bow to her every whim. But, as we all know, you should also be careful what you wish for, and Coraline certainly wasn't. This 'perfect' world soon becomes a nightmare when the 'perfect' other mother wants to keep her trapped in the 'perfect' world by sewing buttons into Coralne's eyes to make her a little doll. She escapes, only to find that the other mother stole Coraline's parents. Coraline goes back into the nightmarish world to save her parents, as well as the 'eyes' of three ghost children who, it is assumed, were killed by the other mother. She makes a bet with the other mother, stating that if Coraline finds the ghost children's eyes and her parents, Coraline could go free. But if she fails... she would have to let the other mother sew buttons into Coraline's eyes. Coraline risks her life to save her parents, the very same parents who she 'hated' at the start of the film. Through her adventure, Coraline learns to not only accept, but to love the imperfect. It is truly a wonderful, dark movie. I rate this movie appropriate for children 9 and up (mostly because I saw this when I was 9 and was not affected negatively.)
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2014

This movie is awesome!

The movie was meant to be scary. If anyone thinks it's inappropriate for kids because of that, I understand, but you really shouldn't say that it's bad because it was doing what it was supposed to do: Scare kids. I personally didn't really notice the lady with the two stars on her exaggerated chest until I watched the movie a second time. Yep, that's right, I watched it a second time. Everybody has their own opinions, so just because your kid didn't like the movie, it doesn't mean every kid will have the same idea. Take me as an example. I first saw the movie when I was around 7, and I loved it. Of course I did think it was a bit creepy, but that's what made it interesting. The plot was very original. Overall, it was really awesome. And think about all the time and effort it took to animate all of that, since they used clay figures! Amazing.
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2014

Coraline: A Creepy Movie

When I was younger I saw this movie, I was freaked out for ages. I believe it is best that you either wait awhile or know your child. The movie is creepy and make scare young children. It is a very good film though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byit'sme101 October 18, 2014

Good movie but might scare some children.

This movie has good messages such as be thankful for what you have. This show is not good sometimes for kids 9 or younger because there is definitely some scary or disturbing images in the movie. Even on the ratings on the back of the movie said some disturbing images may scare children. But if your children are comfortable watching kinda kooky movies Tim Burton productions are good movies to watch. It really just depends how mature your kids are.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGetInTheView October 3, 2014

Creepy

It gave me the creeps when I first saw it because the button eyed people. (Don't wanna spoil it)
Teen, 17 years old Written bySaglet October 1, 2014

Know Your Child

This movie is very creative and original, but it's also downright creepy! I saw it a couple years back, and though I'm an older teenager now, I still don't enjoy watching it! The themes are really very disturbing, and there are some very scantily-clad ladies in one scene. I wouldn't recommend it. However, this movie is kind of hard for me to rate because though I was frightened by it, my younger siblings were not. They still watch it! This may be because they didn't understand the full import of what was happening, or maybe I'm just sensitive. My only advice is to know your child before you expose them to Coraline! Are they sensitive? Do they scare easily? If so, you may want to choose a different film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 25, 2014

So-so animated epic is too dark and violent for young kids

My Rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of creepy violence and action,animated sexuality,scary Images and thematic elements
Teen, 13 years old Written bymibblesPerson September 19, 2014

the reason saying this movie is okay for 9 year old's is ridiculous, is...

because the kind of story it is. what I'm saying is the movie is made to scare creative people, not normal people. sure it will disturb normal people, heck it may make them stay awake the night they watch it, but it will not scar them. I watched this movie when I was 7. BIG MISTAKE. I was terrified for a year and a half. this movie was every thing I feared most, and more. what you should know is that this movie will put ideas in your child's mind like, a pleasant world that resembles yours and every thing you wanted put in, Then the entire world trapping you and hunting you down to steal your eyes. a figure that looks just like your mother turning into a freakish monster and trying to trap you in a room for all entirety. Your parnets getting taken away way by powerful and evil force that no one knows about. dolls that watch you and keep track of what you do for a creature that wants to trap you and sow buttons were your eyes should be. ghosts of children living in a room for all entirety not being allowed to leave and go to heaven. A door in your house that leads to this horrid place, oh and there's one part were a lady is dancing with almost no clothes (she is also very ugly and old), and some blood comes out of some rats, but the blood is not to big of an issue considering I rated it for 13 .The creator of this story also said this "this story was made to scare the parents as much or more than the children." now this isn't exactly what he said, but it was to that effect. the reason Coraline keeps going to this place, and the reason no one stops her is because of her neglectful parents. will this scare a child? yes, but will it scar them? I don't know. you know your child better than me. is your child creative? if so, your child will love this movie, just make sure he (or she) is gotten to a point we they can tell real from the reality in there heads. the best thing is for you to watch the movie before them and decide if your kid can handle it or not.
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2014

creepy

this is the only movie that has ever creeped me out. I was ten then and i guess that was the point of the movie and i do love that it teaches to love your family whatever happens but there are some iffy parts
Teen, 14 years old Written byfellaZ August 16, 2014

Great movie but really creepy

My sister seen this movie when she was 8, and she was that scared that she does not want to see it even when she is 11. I actually watch it all time even if i am 14 now and i like it. You should watch it when you are 12.
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2014

One of my personal favorites stop-motion films. Scary, terrifying and dark, this film excels.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy August 1, 2014

Not for real young kids

Coraline is fine for about 9+ if your elementary kids do not get scared that easily. For younger kids this movie could be a nightmare. It deals with mature themes and even though it ultimately teaches a good lesson, it still is a fairly scary movie for young kids. If you are going to let kids below 11 years old watch it, you should watch it with them and not at night. No cursing in this movie and no drinking although Coraline's mom does suggest that a neighbor is drunk. Sexual themes include two older women dressing very skimpily, and one woman showing a ton of skin. Not too violent, the other mother gets her button eyes pulled out and Coraline gets oak on her hand. Not for anyone under 9, and not for easily scared kids even if they are 9+.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythehomestuckrunner July 30, 2014

Not something for little kids to watch

I've seen the movie twice and I can safely say it's not for little kids. First off, the scene with the doll kind of creeped me out the first time. The scene with the old ladies scantily clad is not supposed to be sexual in nature. It's supposed to be comical and I think it sort of has something to do with body positivity. Even though they're just costumes, it shows that they were comfortable enough in them to do that. The message at the end of the movie is that you should always appreciate what you have while you still have it. The overall message is that you should be careful what you wish for because it could go wrong. Overall, I would say that the movie is creepy but it makes up for it at the end.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2014

Great but show it to not so sensitive kids!

Coraline is perfect for 10 and up but it can be scary for older kiddos to. If you are an adult it is great to watch. My mom convinced me to watch it when I was seven and I still freak out. It is awesome when u are older. Some kids get confused between what's real or not. Some kids might get really worried/scared so it depends on who u are. Make sure you don't believe in zombies/ ghosts etc and you'll be fine. It really has a great message and is a thriller that made the bestest movie in my opinion. A few kids could think that their mom might turn evil so u just gotta be careful.