All member reviews for Coraline

Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2014

One of my personal favorites stop-motion films. Scary, terrifying and dark, this film excels.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy August 1, 2014

Not for real young kids

Coraline is fine for about 9+ if your elementary kids do not get scared that easily. For younger kids this movie could be a nightmare. It deals with mature themes and even though it ultimately teaches a good lesson, it still is a fairly scary movie for young kids. If you are going to let kids below 11 years old watch it, you should watch it with them and not at night. No cursing in this movie and no drinking although Coraline's mom does suggest that a neighbor is drunk. Sexual themes include two older women dressing very skimpily, and one woman showing a ton of skin. Not too violent, the other mother gets her button eyes pulled out and Coraline gets oak on her hand. Not for anyone under 9, and not for easily scared kids even if they are 9+.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythehomestuckrunner July 30, 2014

Not something for little kids to watch

I've seen the movie twice and I can safely say it's not for little kids. First off, the scene with the doll kind of creeped me out the first time. The scene with the old ladies scantily clad is not supposed to be sexual in nature. It's supposed to be comical and I think it sort of has something to do with body positivity. Even though they're just costumes, it shows that they were comfortable enough in them to do that. The message at the end of the movie is that you should always appreciate what you have while you still have it. The overall message is that you should be careful what you wish for because it could go wrong. Overall, I would say that the movie is creepy but it makes up for it at the end.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2014

Great but show it to not so sensitive kids!

Coraline is perfect for 10 and up but it can be scary for older kiddos to. If you are an adult it is great to watch. My mom convinced me to watch it when I was seven and I still freak out. It is awesome when u are older. Some kids get confused between what's real or not. Some kids might get really worried/scared so it depends on who u are. Make sure you don't believe in zombies/ ghosts etc and you'll be fine. It really has a great message and is a thriller that made the bestest movie in my opinion. A few kids could think that their mom might turn evil so u just gotta be careful.
Kid, 9 years old May 28, 2014

Teen, 16 years old Written byemilewashere May 22, 2014

Good movie but frightening.

I am currently 16 years old and this movie still freaks me out. I wouldn't let your child watch this unless you know they can handle this type of genre or you have raised them to watch scarier movies. I, personally, grew up not watching too many scary movies so the ghost children kind of do it in for me. I think this movie is more PG-13 but if you watch it before hand and think it is a suitable movie, go ahead.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangeduck11 May 9, 2014

Not as scary as they say

I watched this when it came out and I really enjoyed it. It differs quite a lot from the book, but it isn't as scary as people make it out to be. The only thing to worry about are loud jump scares near the end. If you have a sensitive child, you might want to let them know to be ready for surprises.
Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2014

Really?

So many people commenting on the scary bits and the parts with the big breasts. When I was watching this my expression was blank. No terror at all. It didnt scare me and I only noticed the big breasts when they pointed that out. I suppose if your child is under 15 or 13 years you shouldn't take them to the cinema to watch this but if you have a DVD it's fine. Just go wild.
Kid, 10 years old April 15, 2014

Its fine for kids

When i saw the trailer for this movie i realy wanted to watch it but non of my family would let me, at the time i was 5. Last night i asked to watch it im 10 now and my parents agreed. I thought this movie was fine and was totaly crazy they wouldnt let me watch it i did not have any night mares but if you are a adult then u should watch it first to check if its appropriate. But you need to know there is to elderly actresses and on a show one of them wears sort of a bikini.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLolaD April 10, 2014

Man, this shit scared me as a kid.

I watched this when I was ten or eleven I think? And it absolutely terrified me! The whole story made me feel uncomfortable! As soon as I saw the people in the other world with buttons for eyes! It genuinely scared me. I mean all kids are different, I get that, and I'll admit I was a pretty wimpy kid that got scared easily... But the friends I watched it with agreed that it shouldn't have been a PG and should've been a 12, because it is really disturbing and is still disturbing until the very end. And even when it finished it was disturbing. Some of the messages were... Interesting. Be happy with what you have and you're lucky to have the family you have etc. but in my opinion Coraline's parents were absolutely appalling and I don't think kids should think that they have to put up with parents of the sort, because believe me, they do exist, and children deserve better. That being said, I really think that this movie can open up some parent's eyes and help them realise that! Then again, it might not. Either way I'd give this movie a try, but maybe don't show any kids that are too young. I'd say it wouldn't creep them out enough to psychologically damage them but phhhhh, then again, look at me! I'm completely messed up, and who knows? maybe that was coraline and the freaky buttons and other mother's doing ;) I don't know, just be warned!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolcolourofpink April 4, 2014

For my 10th birthday, I went to watch this with my friends at the cinema. It was rated pg, but it is is definitely NOT suitable for young children. It is such a chilling film, and at the cinema I can honestly say that I was scared out of mind. All of my friends had nightmares the night after we watched it. I would recommend it as it was a good film, but parents should be warned that it is scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMisterMarc March 17, 2014

What you should know about Coraline

Coraline is a great stop-motion movie. However the concept of the story is kind of frightening. It's about a girl who goes into an alternate reality where everything's happy at first, to find a different version of her mom who tricks her into thinking she's good but then Coraline learns she's planning to SEW BUTTONS INTO HER EYES AND STEAL HER SOUL. Fortunately for me, this movie doesn't scare me (for some reason). But you should know this movie contains some: gore (a rat that spits up "dust" after the black cat bites it; the black cat rips off the other mother's button eyes, no bloody holes, but just these hole thingies) frightening scenes (other mother hand thing tries to attack and strangle Coraline) creepy stuff (the opening scene has these needle hands disassembling one doll and carefully turning it into a Coraline doll.......that spies on her; just the sight of other mother's face is enough) Actually, this movie is based off a book of the exact same name.
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2014

AMAZING! COOL BUT CREEPY STORY

This is a really good film to watch with a family or just by your self. Most 8 year old should handle this story . This story shows children that they should listen to their mum and Dad and do not live in that house LOL
Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2014

A Nice Spooky Movie!

It's great! My siblings let me watch it, but they warned me about the nudity scenes. I thought it was hilarious though. Its a bit inappropriate for 7 year old. But my 8 year old friend, and 10 year old brother, thought it was a great movie. We learned to think about what you wish for. So I loved it :D
Kid, 6 years old January 14, 2014

Creepy But Cool

I Watched This And The First Time Freaked Out. The Second Time I Was Used To It.
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2014

A Creepy Film

It has good animation, its very creepy though. :3 Its a good and imaginative story line. Not really for young kids. When I first watched it, I got kinda creeped out. o.o A great movie for 11+ and if you have good imagination. :) The scene with the lady with the huge boobs was kinda disturbing. >.> And the 'Other Mother' was really scary! :0
Teen, 15 years old Written bystfranciswashere January 4, 2014

Beautiful and difficult, but not for children.

Coraline Jones is one of the best female role models in movies today. She's strong, independent, and lovably flawed. Following in the steps of the brilliant book by Neil Gaiman, this movie deals with really difficult subjects, such as the nature of the soul. Coraline is beautiful and tugs at your heart strings, but the visuals are still done by Tim Burton and they are not for children. This is not a children's movie. I would recommend it to all teens and adults, but it is absolutely not for children.
Kid, 11 years old December 22, 2013

I've been traumatized!

I saw this movie like 5 years ago, but I STILL have nightmares about it. I was scared of my parents for two hours after the movie, and had at least two nightmares a month about it for the rest of the year or so. Now they are more rare. I couldn't even go into the bathroom alone or sleep alone.... I was sooooo freaked out that the evil,child abducting, human eating half spider half human would jump out and eat me. I hate to admit but I'm still scared of that stupid movie. Plot in my eyes: if I remember correctly, this lonely loner girl moves into a creepy apartment and is neglected by her parents and finds a trapdoor and went in and found a creepily sweet version of her mom with scary button eyes and decides to live with her instead sometimes. Her other-parents are rude and kinda suspicious at the beginning of the movie, but later.... They turn EVIL!!! Basically Coraline makes new friends in the other wold and is spoiled by her new parents, but then they ask her to cut out her eyes and replace them with buttons. That's when I really started to get traumatized! They start being kinda mean and abusive, like for example, throwing the poor girl in a dungeon with the ghosts of children the other mother murdered. Apparently the witch had the poor children's souls so they couldn't get into heaven, poor things! And the fake dad turns out to be a really really creepy robot henchman. Eventually the other mother traps Coraline in the other world and traps her parents in a snow globe and tries to kill Coraline by fighting in a spider web that you can see the ghost children's wrapped up corpses in. Coraline saves her real parents and gets out, but the black widow spider lady's disembodied arm comes after her to abduct her so she can be eaten. Eventually some dude squishes the spider lady or whatever. Please don't show your little kids this, they won't trust you and they'll have nightmares forever.I also think I remember a naked lady and some not very nice words. Not cusses that I remember, but still... Violence: 10/10 people almost are murdered! Inappropriate stuff: 3/10 I think it shows most of a lady's chest... I mean less clothes than Ariel. Language: 2/10 it says jerk and stupid a lot and people are really rude sometimes.
Kid, 11 years old December 14, 2013

SEXY STUFF AND VIOLENCE

CORALINE IS A SICKO SICK GAME THAT IS DESCUSTING
Kid, 10 years old October 31, 2013

PG-13!? REALLY!?!?!?

COME ON PEOPLE! PG-13 is NOT a good rating for this movie! Sure, there is ONE bad part. JUST ONE! You can just cover your eyes on the two women!! And the other stuff is CREEPY, but it's not THE CONJURING creepy! Sure, there is one part where the Other Mother turns into creepy stuff, and yes, the people with buttons in their eyes are really creepy! I've been through it myself! 8 and up is a good rating. Parents, teens, kids.... I think, PG is a perfect rating for this movie. Nothing higher, NOTHING LOWER!