All teen and kid member reviews for Coraline

Teen, 14 years old Written byZelda64L November 20, 2014

Coraline is wonderfully animated movie with dark and/or disturbing themes and scary moments for young children.

Coraline has a movie is wonderfully animated and you'll be stunned at the quality it produces. Story wise, it revolves around scary and/or disturbing themes such as the idea of a fake world with 'perfect' fake people, of having buttons sewn into someone's eyes (though this is never actually shown in the film it is a major part of it), and includes moments of near-death experiences. There is, however, one specific scene that showcases *ahem* half naked old ladies (although from a distance) and even remarks on a lady's bodices during the song sung for this scene. Personally, I didn't even notice the naked ladies and that one line until I rewatched it recently, despite Coraline obviously saying "They're practically naked!" The fact I didn't notice this scene until I was 14 makes me believe that this part will go right over most children's heads (and it is a relatively short scene). Other then that, there are no 'inappropriate' scenes. It is a generally disturbing and dark, yet fantastic movie. It trys to give out the message that nothing is perfect and that imperfection isn't as bad as it seems should be embraced. Coraline (the main character) is upset by her 'boring' and imperfect life following her move to a new town in Oregon. She is sassy and disobedient to her parents because she feels the need to rebel against the move that she 'never wanted in the first place'. She soons discovers a 'perfect' world with 'perfect' parents who bow to her every whim. But, as we all know, you should also be careful what you wish for, and Coraline certainly wasn't. This 'perfect' world soon becomes a nightmare when the 'perfect' other mother wants to keep her trapped in the 'perfect' world by sewing buttons into Coralne's eyes to make her a little doll. She escapes, only to find that the other mother stole Coraline's parents. Coraline goes back into the nightmarish world to save her parents, as well as the 'eyes' of three ghost children who, it is assumed, were killed by the other mother. She makes a bet with the other mother, stating that if Coraline finds the ghost children's eyes and her parents, Coraline could go free. But if she fails... she would have to let the other mother sew buttons into Coraline's eyes. Coraline risks her life to save her parents, the very same parents who she 'hated' at the start of the film. Through her adventure, Coraline learns to not only accept, but to love the imperfect. It is truly a wonderful, dark movie. I rate this movie appropriate for children 9 and up (mostly because I saw this when I was 9 and was not affected negatively.)
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2014

This movie is awesome!

The movie was meant to be scary. If anyone thinks it's inappropriate for kids because of that, I understand, but you really shouldn't say that it's bad because it was doing what it was supposed to do: Scare kids. I personally didn't really notice the lady with the two stars on her exaggerated chest until I watched the movie a second time. Yep, that's right, I watched it a second time. Everybody has their own opinions, so just because your kid didn't like the movie, it doesn't mean every kid will have the same idea. Take me as an example. I first saw the movie when I was around 7, and I loved it. Of course I did think it was a bit creepy, but that's what made it interesting. The plot was very original. Overall, it was really awesome. And think about all the time and effort it took to animate all of that, since they used clay figures! Amazing.
Kid, 12 years old November 1, 2014

Coraline: A Creepy Movie

When I was younger I saw this movie, I was freaked out for ages. I believe it is best that you either wait awhile or know your child. The movie is creepy and make scare young children. It is a very good film though.
Teen, 13 years old Written byit'sme101 October 18, 2014

Good movie but might scare some children.

This movie has good messages such as be thankful for what you have. This show is not good sometimes for kids 9 or younger because there is definitely some scary or disturbing images in the movie. Even on the ratings on the back of the movie said some disturbing images may scare children. But if your children are comfortable watching kinda kooky movies Tim Burton productions are good movies to watch. It really just depends how mature your kids are.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGetInTheView October 3, 2014

Creepy

It gave me the creeps when I first saw it because the button eyed people. (Don't wanna spoil it)
Teen, 17 years old Written bySaglet October 1, 2014

Know Your Child

This movie is very creative and original, but it's also downright creepy! I saw it a couple years back, and though I'm an older teenager now, I still don't enjoy watching it! The themes are really very disturbing, and there are some very scantily-clad ladies in one scene. I wouldn't recommend it. However, this movie is kind of hard for me to rate because though I was frightened by it, my younger siblings were not. They still watch it! This may be because they didn't understand the full import of what was happening, or maybe I'm just sensitive. My only advice is to know your child before you expose them to Coraline! Are they sensitive? Do they scare easily? If so, you may want to choose a different film.
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2014

creepy

this is the only movie that has ever creeped me out. I was ten then and i guess that was the point of the movie and i do love that it teaches to love your family whatever happens but there are some iffy parts
Kid, 12 years old August 2, 2014

One of my personal favorites stop-motion films. Scary, terrifying and dark, this film excels.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy August 1, 2014

Not for real young kids

Coraline is fine for about 9+ if your elementary kids do not get scared that easily. For younger kids this movie could be a nightmare. It deals with mature themes and even though it ultimately teaches a good lesson, it still is a fairly scary movie for young kids. If you are going to let kids below 11 years old watch it, you should watch it with them and not at night. No cursing in this movie and no drinking although Coraline's mom does suggest that a neighbor is drunk. Sexual themes include two older women dressing very skimpily, and one woman showing a ton of skin. Not too violent, the other mother gets her button eyes pulled out and Coraline gets oak on her hand. Not for anyone under 9, and not for easily scared kids even if they are 9+.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythehomestuckrunner July 30, 2014

Not something for little kids to watch

I've seen the movie twice and I can safely say it's not for little kids. First off, the scene with the doll kind of creeped me out the first time. The scene with the old ladies scantily clad is not supposed to be sexual in nature. It's supposed to be comical and I think it sort of has something to do with body positivity. Even though they're just costumes, it shows that they were comfortable enough in them to do that. The message at the end of the movie is that you should always appreciate what you have while you still have it. The overall message is that you should be careful what you wish for because it could go wrong. Overall, I would say that the movie is creepy but it makes up for it at the end.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2014

Great but show it to not so sensitive kids!

Coraline is perfect for 10 and up but it can be scary for older kiddos to. If you are an adult it is great to watch. My mom convinced me to watch it when I was seven and I still freak out. It is awesome when u are older. Some kids get confused between what's real or not. Some kids might get really worried/scared so it depends on who u are. Make sure you don't believe in zombies/ ghosts etc and you'll be fine. It really has a great message and is a thriller that made the bestest movie in my opinion. A few kids could think that their mom might turn evil so u just gotta be careful.
Kid, 9 years old May 28, 2014

Teen, 16 years old Written byemilewashere May 22, 2014

Good movie but frightening.

I am currently 16 years old and this movie still freaks me out. I wouldn't let your child watch this unless you know they can handle this type of genre or you have raised them to watch scarier movies. I, personally, grew up not watching too many scary movies so the ghost children kind of do it in for me. I think this movie is more PG-13 but if you watch it before hand and think it is a suitable movie, go ahead.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangeduck11 May 9, 2014

Not as scary as they say

I watched this when it came out and I really enjoyed it. It differs quite a lot from the book, but it isn't as scary as people make it out to be. The only thing to worry about are loud jump scares near the end. If you have a sensitive child, you might want to let them know to be ready for surprises.
Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2014

Really?

So many people commenting on the scary bits and the parts with the big breasts. When I was watching this my expression was blank. No terror at all. It didnt scare me and I only noticed the big breasts when they pointed that out. I suppose if your child is under 15 or 13 years you shouldn't take them to the cinema to watch this but if you have a DVD it's fine. Just go wild.
Kid, 10 years old April 15, 2014

Its fine for kids

When i saw the trailer for this movie i realy wanted to watch it but non of my family would let me, at the time i was 5. Last night i asked to watch it im 10 now and my parents agreed. I thought this movie was fine and was totaly crazy they wouldnt let me watch it i did not have any night mares but if you are a adult then u should watch it first to check if its appropriate. But you need to know there is to elderly actresses and on a show one of them wears sort of a bikini.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLolaD April 10, 2014

Man, this shit scared me as a kid.

I watched this when I was ten or eleven I think? And it absolutely terrified me! The whole story made me feel uncomfortable! As soon as I saw the people in the other world with buttons for eyes! It genuinely scared me. I mean all kids are different, I get that, and I'll admit I was a pretty wimpy kid that got scared easily... But the friends I watched it with agreed that it shouldn't have been a PG and should've been a 12, because it is really disturbing and is still disturbing until the very end. And even when it finished it was disturbing. Some of the messages were... Interesting. Be happy with what you have and you're lucky to have the family you have etc. but in my opinion Coraline's parents were absolutely appalling and I don't think kids should think that they have to put up with parents of the sort, because believe me, they do exist, and children deserve better. That being said, I really think that this movie can open up some parent's eyes and help them realise that! Then again, it might not. Either way I'd give this movie a try, but maybe don't show any kids that are too young. I'd say it wouldn't creep them out enough to psychologically damage them but phhhhh, then again, look at me! I'm completely messed up, and who knows? maybe that was coraline and the freaky buttons and other mother's doing ;) I don't know, just be warned!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolcolourofpink April 4, 2014

For my 10th birthday, I went to watch this with my friends at the cinema. It was rated pg, but it is is definitely NOT suitable for young children. It is such a chilling film, and at the cinema I can honestly say that I was scared out of mind. All of my friends had nightmares the night after we watched it. I would recommend it as it was a good film, but parents should be warned that it is scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMisterMarc March 17, 2014

What you should know about Coraline

Coraline is a great stop-motion movie. However the concept of the story is kind of frightening. It's about a girl who goes into an alternate reality where everything's happy at first, to find a different version of her mom who tricks her into thinking she's good but then Coraline learns she's planning to SEW BUTTONS INTO HER EYES AND STEAL HER SOUL. Fortunately for me, this movie doesn't scare me (for some reason). But you should know this movie contains some: gore (a rat that spits up "dust" after the black cat bites it; the black cat rips off the other mother's button eyes, no bloody holes, but just these hole thingies) frightening scenes (other mother hand thing tries to attack and strangle Coraline) creepy stuff (the opening scene has these needle hands disassembling one doll and carefully turning it into a Coraline doll.......that spies on her; just the sight of other mother's face is enough) Actually, this movie is based off a book of the exact same name.
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2014

AMAZING! COOL BUT CREEPY STORY

This is a really good film to watch with a family or just by your self. Most 8 year old should handle this story . This story shows children that they should listen to their mum and Dad and do not live in that house LOL