All member reviews for Dark Shadows

Mixed-up Depp/Burton vampire comedy has blood, innuendo.

Teen, 14 years old Written byjadeybug12 May 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

I saw the midnight primere of Dark Shadows, and I loved it. Some scenes were a bit intense, and there were a few sexual scenes as well (nothing TOO bad is shown) and many drug and drinking refrences, but all in all a good movie.
Parent Written byfemalefilmlover May 11, 2012

Not for kids

Definatley not for kids took my 10 year old daughter and she really does not need to know at 10 about BJ's or rampant sexual contact
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2012

Terrible! Terrible! Do NOT watch!

I am very disspointed on how people are rating movies these days. The movie bully (which kids SHOULD see) is rated R because of language and this is rated PG-13? This movie should be rated R! I watched this with my older sister who it was even too sexually strong for her. We ended up having to leave the theatre, my dad said it was funny but definitely for 13-15-or-16
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 May 11, 2012

Vampire comedy dragged, lacked laughs

This movie did not meet my expectations. I thought the ending was stupid and weird. It mixed too many fantasy elements all at once and was just weird. Mature kids, mainly teens, can see this. 11+ should be, but know your kid. I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a laugh.
Adult Written byteacher123 May 12, 2012

Barnabas, a sinner like us.

While there is a lot of drinking, drug use and sexual innuendo, the main character is searching for his true love. While he fumbles through the advances of other women and succumbs to their temptation, like many men do, he re-aligns himself and returns to seek out his new love. Since he is a vampire, there is no chance for resurrection into heaven and by all accounts, he admits that he is a sinner. Yet he tries to do the right thing after each transgression. As a blood thirsty vampire, it's hard not to kill your meal. This is not a movie to teach the beatitudes. It is however an interesting connundrum of worldly pleasure versus doing the right thing that he was taught as a boy. I think many men who have left home and attended college will appreciate the moral issues that Barnabas tries to deal with.
Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

This was very good, but sort of mature. There was tons of fake blood. There was one sex scene, a few implications, and a bunch of references. Some mild language, and people drank and smoked (legal and illegal things) often. Overall this was good, but sort-of iffy on content.
Parent Written byFamlee First May 11, 2012

A Depp Disappointment

I'm one of Johnny Depp's biggest fans but this movie was a disappointment from start to finish. Very slow and a hodgepodge of violence, sex, tired 70's spoofs, sexual innuendo, blood, drugs and more violence. Burton couldn't seem to decide whether to go for comedy or a Twilight Wannabe. I wanted to leave but kept hoping Depp would pull it together...but not this time! DON'T TAKE THE KIDS!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 13, 2012

Tim Burton's best movie in decades is full of gore, violence, innuendo and some seriously suggestive content

Tim Burton's latest film and team-up with Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows, is a heck of a lot better than it ought to be. Now, every year, or during every summer scene, rather, there is one movie out there that looks good, but you are never expecting much. So, this is the first big surprise of the year for me, and it is easily the first great movie of 2012 for me, as well. Nearly every movie that I have seen this year, thus far, has either been just good, okay or terrible. Even The Avengers, which is still collecting it's massive box office cume, wasn't really all that great. It was a good superhero movie, for sure, but even that film could have been so much better. But, here we have Dark Shadows, which is easily Tim Burton's most bizarre, creepy, weird, original, hilarious and fun movie since Beetlejuice. Now, Dark Shadows is based of the infamous cult classic British soap-opera television show of the 1960's and 1970's, and the film is set during 1972, and the whole retro look of the film really makes it feels like you just stepped into another time. Also, Tim Burton has his best set designs and special effects work here since Sleepy Hollow, with the Collins family mansion and town of Collinsport given it's own little Gothic look to it. But, with performances, they are all fantastic here. Honestly, there is not a single bad or even remotely unlikable character here, with the best of course being Johnny Depp as the 18th century vampire brought into the 20th century, vampire Barnabas Collins, Michelle Pfeiffer as the mother of the 20st century Collins Family, Jackie Earle Haley as Willie Loomis, the caretaker, and, of course, a rather vicious Eva Green as Barnabas Collins re-vamped (ha ha) ex-lover Angelique Bouchard. But, than again, everything here is works so well, that everyone is good. So, I really must say, job well done to Mr. Tim Burton, for delivering us his best movie in nearly two-and-a-half-decades. But, despite the fact that this movie is Rated PG-13, there is tons of very questionable content, and most parents will almost certainly have a problem with letting there younger children watch it, but here we go: The movie is filled with wall-to-wall crude and sexual humor, innuendo and even a very funny and very rough scene of our two main vampire leads having "supernatural sex" and pretty much wrecking the entire room that they are in, in the process, and we see the entire scene on screen for close to three minutes, but it's all fully clothed and very, very comical. Also, there are countless references to a 15 year old's secret sexual fantasies, including a masturbation joke and even a quick but graphic oral sex reference. Also, there is plenty of comic horror violence and gore, here, with lot's and lot's of blood pouring from peoples throats, eyes and even from paintings and walls inside the Collins family mansion. Also, there are some scenes which reveal the childhood traumas one one main female character, which involves her being sable to talk to ghosts at a extremely young age, and with her disturbed parents sending her off to a mental asylum, where she is struck in a rubber padded room and forced to wear a straight jacket, and even most disturbing, is a brief scene where she has electroshock treatment performed on her, completely on-screen, which will disturb many viewers in the audience. Also, there is some drug use, mostly of the pot-smoking kinds, plenty of smoking, drinking and drunkenness. And, finally, there is frequent but fairly average profanity, including several uses of sh-t, d-mn, h-ll, a--, a--h-le, b-tch and more. So, dark Shadows is easily the best movie of the year for me, so far, and it just might be the one movie that finally jump-starts the summer movie scene, as well!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 May 12, 2012

yug

Out of order horror comedy is funny but very weird.
Parent Written bysusan whitestene May 12, 2012

DARK SHADOWS

i think it is ok i think if you can see twilight and you can see harry potter and the deathly hallows part one you can see this but there is some passinote kissing but i think it is fine for 11/12 and up but these reviews areon the top are not true because it just came out last night and they are just trusting the people who rated it and remember it is a comedy not a horror
Parent Written byLSU Mom May 13, 2012

Had I Only Known!

We went to see this last night; my husband, myself and our 13-year-old (he'll be fourteen in one month). Not having watched the original series in the 70s (I had only heard the name), maybe I should have further researched the series itself rather than just reading the Common Sense preliminary "scoop." I was not expecting a bordering-R rated soap opera with more than just campy sex scenes -- rather, scenes with subtle references to S & M and just-off camera depictions of oral sex. There are too-frequent-to-count references to the occult; multiple murders, arson, and drug use. I think this movie is being billed as moderate, benign fare when in fact it isn't suitable for any child. This is my first review on this site, and I am writing it in the spirit of truthfully informing parents.
Parent Written byMamaChicken May 14, 2012

SO regretted taking the kids.

Yak. I actually read your website Saturday morning after opening night - b/c I completely trust Jim Steyer and told everyone if CSM says it's ok, let's go. I think you guys seriously missed the sex boat on this one, and I turned my little son's head into me when the seemingly inevitable oral sex scene was coming - "innuendo" seems like such a soft word, let's find one that's not so vague.
Educator and Parent Written bytheatregirl510 May 14, 2012

Way too sexually focused

I have to say this was a very disappointing movie. I have been a Burton/Depp fan for many years and this just shocked me. It was way too raunchy for half the kids I saw coming into the movie and it had so much sexual connotation and sexual innuendo that it actually made me uncomfortable (which is saying a lot). I do not recommend taking a kid under the age of 13 or 14 to see this, way too much sex and drugs.
Adult Written byhattiebee May 14, 2012

way too adult for kids

Took my 11 year old son and it was way too sexual and violent: mass murder scene, people jumping off cliffs and smashing on rocks below, off camera bj's, and lots of men mounting women.
Kid, 9 years old May 12, 2012

sink your teeth into my review

there is a McDonalds sign an scooby doo is on tv and more stuth not for kids
Parent Written byImjustsaying May 16, 2012

too sexy for under 16

Too sexy for anyone under 16 at least.
Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2012

dark and scary

This is the first tim burton movie i have ever watched so i was expecting crazy plots,ecentric characters and good old supernatural scares.And this dos not disapoint.yes,it maybe was not as funny as it could be and some of the sex and volienceis pretty intense for a 12a(pg-13 in america).i watched this with my mom ,my brother and his freind.we all jumped at times.But despite a dissapointing script and decindengly tacky special effects,johnny depp and eva green deliver the best sex scence ever!and the OMG finalie is awsome!
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byTuesdayBear May 22, 2012

Interesting movie, not for everyone

As an adult, I think you have to go into this movie knowing that both Burton and Depp are big fans of the original Dark Shadows series. This movie stems from their love of the original. It really seems to be more of an homage to the television show than a serious movie. Prepare to suspend your disbelief on this one. The central love story really isn't well developed, which detracts from the plot. However, if you love the quirkiness that is the standard bill of fare for Burton/Depp collaborations, then you'll enjoy this movie. As far as children go, I disagree with the 13+ recommendation. During a scene between Barnabas and Angie, there is a shot of Barnabas climbing in between Angie's legs as seen from her perspective. I really felt that was too risque for anyone younger than older teens. The bottom line? See this movie if you love Burton, Depp, or Helena Bonham-Carter at their quirkiest. But leave the kids at home.
Educator and Parent of a 14 year old Written byProfessor Rebecca May 21, 2012

Too much for kids - better left to an older audience.

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are known for dark movies. This one is different, in a few ways. The sexual content is really overdone for young people. The sexually charged environment is not limited to the adults in the movie; the 15 year old daughter is entirely too sexual as well. Can you say 'bloody'? Yuck - of course, I suppose vampire movies are known for the blood, but it is too gross for kids. The drunk doctor is iffy at best - her worst quality is shown when she demonstrates to the vampire what 'client-patient privilege is'. Be warned - this movie is indeed "DARK" and better left to an older audience.
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 13, 2012

Entertaining Deep-Burton film seems unsure of what it wants to be.