Mixed-up Depp/Burton vampire comedy has blood, innuendo.

Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2012

MUST SEE AT LEAST 9-UP

Yes, in ways, this movie was SOMEWHAT innapropriate, but, I am ten and when with another 10 year old and an 11 year old, and with know parents, where had a great time! We all agree that it was superb!! I loved Johnny Depps role, and he played it well!! I would give it at least a 9.9 of ten, and 5 out of 5 stars. Loved it. My new fav.
Parent Written byfemalefilmlover May 11, 2012

Not for kids

Definatley not for kids took my 10 year old daughter and she really does not need to know at 10 about BJ's or rampant sexual contact
Kid, 11 years old July 6, 2014

HILLARIOUS! BEST. MOVIE. EVER!! A "MUST SEE!!!!!!!!!"

"dark shadows" is BY FAR the BEST FILM EVER! Some scenes might be too intense, tho. Barnabas Collins is a vampire, so naturally there's going to be some blood. but surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of gore except in a few scenes, one of which he is scene grabbing people by the throat. in another scene, he bites somebody (it's not shown) and his face is covered in blood after. also, several women are seen posing, talking, and behaving in sexy ways, although there's no actual sex. so i'd say 8+, but it really depends on the 8-year-old.
Adult Written byhattiebee May 14, 2012

way too adult for kids

Took my 11 year old son and it was way too sexual and violent: mass murder scene, people jumping off cliffs and smashing on rocks below, off camera bj's, and lots of men mounting women.
Teen, 13 years old Written byathenaexarhos May 30, 2012

the best movie for kids

Parent Written bysusan whitestene May 12, 2012

DARK SHADOWS

i think it is ok i think if you can see twilight and you can see harry potter and the deathly hallows part one you can see this but there is some passinote kissing but i think it is fine for 11/12 and up but these reviews areon the top are not true because it just came out last night and they are just trusting the people who rated it and remember it is a comedy not a horror
Parent Written byFamlee First May 11, 2012

A Depp Disappointment

I'm one of Johnny Depp's biggest fans but this movie was a disappointment from start to finish. Very slow and a hodgepodge of violence, sex, tired 70's spoofs, sexual innuendo, blood, drugs and more violence. Burton couldn't seem to decide whether to go for comedy or a Twilight Wannabe. I wanted to leave but kept hoping Depp would pull it together...but not this time! DON'T TAKE THE KIDS!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews July 1, 2012

Dark Shadows

Dissapointing horror comedy had messy crap. Just messy movie
Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2012

Dark Shadows

This movie was very funny. There was not much violence but there was some killings with mild blood. The Language was pretty strong including B***h,S**t,B*****d,W***e,and D**n. The sexual content was pretty strong with one scene of sexuality involving Depp and Green and some pretty strong sexual references. This is not really a horror movie it is more a comedy but still pretty iffy for young kids.
Educator and Parent Written bytheatregirl510 May 14, 2012

Way too sexually focused

I have to say this was a very disappointing movie. I have been a Burton/Depp fan for many years and this just shocked me. It was way too raunchy for half the kids I saw coming into the movie and it had so much sexual connotation and sexual innuendo that it actually made me uncomfortable (which is saying a lot). I do not recommend taking a kid under the age of 13 or 14 to see this, way too much sex and drugs.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 May 11, 2012

Vampire comedy dragged, lacked laughs

This movie did not meet my expectations. I thought the ending was stupid and weird. It mixed too many fantasy elements all at once and was just weird. Mature kids, mainly teens, can see this. 11+ should be, but know your kid. I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a laugh.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjadeybug12 May 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

I saw the midnight primere of Dark Shadows, and I loved it. Some scenes were a bit intense, and there were a few sexual scenes as well (nothing TOO bad is shown) and many drug and drinking refrences, but all in all a good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byQwerty55 January 8, 2014

It's okay for early teens and late preteens.

I let my 12 year old watch Dark Shadows. There is a lot of sexual stuff and violence, but I think it's okay for children in early teens or late preteens.
Kid, 12 years old August 9, 2013

Definitely no younger than 12

Really good movie for teens.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShayiscool February 15, 2013

Dark Shadows (12)

Don't have it on if you have children under 12 and you are not in the room sometimes because they might get sceared it aslo says s*** at sometime as well if theres a aduit in the room and theres a 11year old there then thats fine i think it should be 9 with a aduit or 12 on you're own. (This is for Johney Depp's Version.) By the way it may seem a bit wired!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEgold123 October 14, 2012

Sexualy gross

I really love Johny Depp so I was very dissaopinted in this movie. The sexual parts of the movie were very disgusting and I personly do not sugest you see it. It kind of ruined my love for Johny Depp. :(
Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert August 3, 2012

Good Movie Remake of the 1960's-1970's Soap Opera

-Violence: There are flashbacks of a girl being tortured for seeing ghosts. Barnabas is sometimes seen with blood on his mouth. One character's skin is like glass and breaks. -Sex: A lot of implied sex. One scene shows a woman descend down to the man's pelvic area. Barnabas hooks up with many characters. Some kissing. -Language: S--t, h--l, a--, b--ch, etc. -Drugs: In one scene, a circle of teenagers are smoking a joint. There is some alcohol This movie has some suggestive content in it, but it is enjoyable. Fans of the series may be impressed
Teen, 14 years old Written byjujuluvsdance July 15, 2012

Straange

The movie was to my surprise not a "kids" Movie. It had some sexy sences that were uncomfortable for the little ones. I only laughed about once or twice and the only funny parts were actually in the Trailer. There is a lot of killing (Only because of the Vampire aspect of it) it was a little evil. The features were laughable fake. Overall it is a pretty good movie
Parent Written bybisully July 9, 2012

Dark and disturbing.

This was a dark, disturbing movie. Not funny at all. Graphic depictions of murder and sex, though the main act may have happened just off screen. Don't take the kids. And don't go yourself either. I wish that I would have researched more before seeing this movie. I deeply regret seeing it.
Parent Written byIamfine June 10, 2012

Dark Shadows - rating not age appropriate

Parents whose children are Johnny Depp fans should give it a miss. I took my two aged 9 and 12 as they are big fans and there were some pretty uncomfortable moments. One was the suggested sex scene after Eva Green pulled her dress off and asked if JD still wanted her, some of the language and the 'patient confidentiality' moment. In places it was quite good, but really not worth the effort unless you are a die hard fan. Sorry, I wanted to like it as Tim Burton, Johnny Depp and Helena BC are normally good together.