All member reviews for Dark Shadows

Teen, 14 years old Written byjadeybug12 May 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

I saw the midnight primere of Dark Shadows, and I loved it. Some scenes were a bit intense, and there were a few sexual scenes as well (nothing TOO bad is shown) and many drug and drinking refrences, but all in all a good movie.
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2012

Terrible! Terrible! Do NOT watch!

I am very disspointed on how people are rating movies these days. The movie bully (which kids SHOULD see) is rated R because of language and this is rated PG-13? This movie should be rated R! I watched this with my older sister who it was even too sexually strong for her. We ended up having to leave the theatre, my dad said it was funny but definitely for 13-15-or-16
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 May 11, 2012

Vampire comedy dragged, lacked laughs

This movie did not meet my expectations. I thought the ending was stupid and weird. It mixed too many fantasy elements all at once and was just weird. Mature kids, mainly teens, can see this. 11+ should be, but know your kid. I would not recommend this to anyone looking for a laugh.
Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2012

Dark Shadows

This was very good, but sort of mature. There was tons of fake blood. There was one sex scene, a few implications, and a bunch of references. Some mild language, and people drank and smoked (legal and illegal things) often. Overall this was good, but sort-of iffy on content.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn May 13, 2012

Tim Burton's best movie in decades is full of gore, violence, innuendo and some seriously suggestive content

Tim Burton's latest film and team-up with Johnny Depp, Dark Shadows, is a heck of a lot better than it ought to be. Now, every year, or during every summer scene, rather, there is one movie out there that looks good, but you are never expecting much. So, this is the first big surprise of the year for me, and it is easily the first great movie of 2012 for me, as well. Nearly every movie that I have seen this year, thus far, has either been just good, okay or terrible. Even The Avengers, which is still collecting it's massive box office cume, wasn't really all that great. It was a good superhero movie, for sure, but even that film could have been so much better. But, here we have Dark Shadows, which is easily Tim Burton's most bizarre, creepy, weird, original, hilarious and fun movie since Beetlejuice. Now, Dark Shadows is based of the infamous cult classic British soap-opera television show of the 1960's and 1970's, and the film is set during 1972, and the whole retro look of the film really makes it feels like you just stepped into another time. Also, Tim Burton has his best set designs and special effects work here since Sleepy Hollow, with the Collins family mansion and town of Collinsport given it's own little Gothic look to it. But, with performances, they are all fantastic here. Honestly, there is not a single bad or even remotely unlikable character here, with the best of course being Johnny Depp as the 18th century vampire brought into the 20th century, vampire Barnabas Collins, Michelle Pfeiffer as the mother of the 20st century Collins Family, Jackie Earle Haley as Willie Loomis, the caretaker, and, of course, a rather vicious Eva Green as Barnabas Collins re-vamped (ha ha) ex-lover Angelique Bouchard. But, than again, everything here is works so well, that everyone is good. So, I really must say, job well done to Mr. Tim Burton, for delivering us his best movie in nearly two-and-a-half-decades. But, despite the fact that this movie is Rated PG-13, there is tons of very questionable content, and most parents will almost certainly have a problem with letting there younger children watch it, but here we go: The movie is filled with wall-to-wall crude and sexual humor, innuendo and even a very funny and very rough scene of our two main vampire leads having "supernatural sex" and pretty much wrecking the entire room that they are in, in the process, and we see the entire scene on screen for close to three minutes, but it's all fully clothed and very, very comical. Also, there are countless references to a 15 year old's secret sexual fantasies, including a masturbation joke and even a quick but graphic oral sex reference. Also, there is plenty of comic horror violence and gore, here, with lot's and lot's of blood pouring from peoples throats, eyes and even from paintings and walls inside the Collins family mansion. Also, there are some scenes which reveal the childhood traumas one one main female character, which involves her being sable to talk to ghosts at a extremely young age, and with her disturbed parents sending her off to a mental asylum, where she is struck in a rubber padded room and forced to wear a straight jacket, and even most disturbing, is a brief scene where she has electroshock treatment performed on her, completely on-screen, which will disturb many viewers in the audience. Also, there is some drug use, mostly of the pot-smoking kinds, plenty of smoking, drinking and drunkenness. And, finally, there is frequent but fairly average profanity, including several uses of sh-t, d-mn, h-ll, a--, a--h-le, b-tch and more. So, dark Shadows is easily the best movie of the year for me, so far, and it just might be the one movie that finally jump-starts the summer movie scene, as well!
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 May 12, 2012

yug

Out of order horror comedy is funny but very weird.
Kid, 9 years old May 12, 2012

sink your teeth into my review

there is a McDonalds sign an scooby doo is on tv and more stuth not for kids
Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2012

dark and scary

This is the first tim burton movie i have ever watched so i was expecting crazy plots,ecentric characters and good old supernatural scares.And this dos not disapoint.yes,it maybe was not as funny as it could be and some of the sex and volienceis pretty intense for a 12a(pg-13 in america).i watched this with my mom ,my brother and his freind.we all jumped at times.But despite a dissapointing script and decindengly tacky special effects,johnny depp and eva green deliver the best sex scence ever!and the OMG finalie is awsome!
Kid, 12 years old May 14, 2012

Nice movie, but not as it looks in the trailor.

This is an action-packed horror film that has some sexually suggestive scenes and diologue. There is also some offensive language that isn't aproppriate for young kids. I came into the theater expecting a funny comedy, and got a horror/romance/action movie. I give this movie 3/5 stars because it actually turned out to be a descent movie, it just wasn't what I expected it to be. It's about a vampire who is cursed by a witch that anyone who loves him will die.There is some sexual content in this movie.He gets locked in a box for 100 years so when he wakes up it's 1972.
Kid, 10 years old May 31, 2012

MUST SEE AT LEAST 9-UP

Yes, in ways, this movie was SOMEWHAT innapropriate, but, I am ten and when with another 10 year old and an 11 year old, and with know parents, where had a great time! We all agree that it was superb!! I loved Johnny Depps role, and he played it well!! I would give it at least a 9.9 of ten, and 5 out of 5 stars. Loved it. My new fav.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews July 1, 2012

Dark Shadows

Dissapointing horror comedy had messy crap. Just messy movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byNovalita May 22, 2012

FANTASTIC

I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH! It's really funny and not that scary. It has a lot of innuendo in it, so I wouldn't let a little kid watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 May 31, 2012

Not all that great...

My suggested MPAA rating: PG-13 for supernatural violence, comic sexual content, language, drug and alcohol use, and smoking. VIOLENCE: 3.5/5 - Nothing realistic, but pretty intense. Will likely scare younger children, but no one who is a teenager or older. SEX: 4/5 - One particularly rambunctious sex scene that I won't dare to describe. In another scene, a character bends over while treating Barnabas, and we assume she is performing oral sex before the camera cuts away to the next scene. Barnabas makes frequent reference to "birthing hips". LANGUAGE: 3/5 - One or two uses of "s--t" and "b---ard". A woman is referred to as a "b--ch". DRINKING, DRUGS & SMOKING: 3/5 - One character likes drinking and taking pills a lot. Otherwise, a good amount of smoking, especially among hippies in one scene.
Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2012

A "MUST SEE" for Tim Burton fans!

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp team up for the eighth time in this movie remake of "Dark Shadows." Though it is not the best Burton/Depp collaboration, it has everything a Burton fan could ask for. The mix of Fantasy and Comedy give this film the right balance, and I highly recommend that you see it. Violence isn't too bad, most deaths are offscreen, though the film does contain blood, and a few bites in the neck(not in detail, though). Language includes sh-t, b-tch, a--hole, d--n, hell, and other uses of mild language. There is a lot of very suggestive sexy stuff, like kissing, suggestive dancing, etc(you could check the imdb website, Parents guide, for more details). I strongly recommend it to mature kids, 12 and up, and I wouldn't let anyone under that age see it(I went to see it at the cinemas with my mum, and made sure that my 10 year old sister, and 7 year old brother, weren't allowed to come, as I knew it would be innappropriate for them). Other Burton collaborators include Helena Bonham Carter, Michelle Pfeiffer(starring in her second Burton film; her first was Batman Returns), and Christopher Lee. If you are a Tim Burton fan, like me, then this movie is a MUST SEE!
Kid, 12 years old May 25, 2012

Dark Shadows

This movie was very funny. There was not much violence but there was some killings with mild blood. The Language was pretty strong including B***h,S**t,B*****d,W***e,and D**n. The sexual content was pretty strong with one scene of sexuality involving Depp and Green and some pretty strong sexual references. This is not really a horror movie it is more a comedy but still pretty iffy for young kids.
Kid, 10 years old May 18, 2012

my cousins review

i did not go but that's because i read this!!!!! My mom was trying to drag me into the theater and i told her, and i quote,"NO IT IS FOR ADULTS!!" and i had to say that so many times you have no idea but anyways my cousin went to see it and she says (shes actually 2 years younger than me) DO NOT GOOOOO
Teen, 13 years old Written byathenaexarhos May 30, 2012

the best movie for kids

Teen, 13 years old Written byMissKarissimo June 27, 2012

READ THIS, NOW. I TELL THE TRUTH!

This film was really good, funny and full of action. The storyline was good and at times it was a bit rude. Some of the people's reviews you will read are not true. Yeah, don't take kids under 10, but kids over 10 would really enjoy it. Most people see Johnny Depp as a pirate and all that and don't like to see him different, but he was a really good vampire. A review you may read says that Burton could not choose whether to make the film a comedy or twilight movie, but maybe he was trying to mix them together, bringing both lots of fans to watch this film. That is the intelligence of this man. He is just amazing. So I think you should watch it if you are over 10/11 and enjoy, because it's a really good combanation of comedy, vampires and action (and a little bit of romance.) ;)
Teen, 13 years old Written byBelmarmoives May 27, 2012

LEARNING

BELMAR PRESENTS

i was quite disapointed not relly good for kids 14 and under my sister started crying at some of the back stories some parts are relly funny if you get that kind of stuff the moive didnt do much for me still not a bad moive
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovie_Lover123 May 13, 2012

P.G 13???????

It was a ok movie. I thought it was kinda creppy though! Barnabus kills alot of pepole (nothing is shown). Some sexy stuff. If your use to stuff like that you can handle it :)