All member reviews for Dark Shadows

Teen, 14 years old Written byEricaK33 May 20, 2014

Iffy

I am 14 and it was okayyyy, but I wouldn't recommend it to kids under 14.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatiepotterdramabook April 23, 2014

spooky

i liked it because it had to of my favorite actors/actresses in the film Chloe Mortez and Jonny depp. and it was amazing but a little strange and funny
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

Dark shadows

I liked this movie in the beginning and thought would be more of a comedy then it was because I thought that the vampire barnabus Collins (Johnny depp) was going to be so much funnier then he was so if you want more of a comedy like me then you may not like this but if you like something more dark you may enjoy this more then I did but since I like horror so I thought the ghost was pretty cool. And just saying the ending is so stupid and silly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byQwerty55 January 8, 2014

It's okay for early teens and late preteens.

I let my 12 year old watch Dark Shadows. There is a lot of sexual stuff and violence, but I think it's okay for children in early teens or late preteens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinto36 October 27, 2013

Great movie

A lot of the reviews are over reactions, most of the sexual innuendo will sail over young kids heads. The gore is clearly fake and is meant to be that way. Ultimately this movie is great for any Burton/Depp fan over the age of about 12.
Kid, 10 years old July 27, 2013

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

its a so so movie
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2013

Funny horror action

This is a good comedy! Tim Burton is my favorite director and I wasn't disappointed by this movie. There is some violence though it is mostly comedic. There is some mild blood too. There is some sexual innuendos. There is some language and people are shown smoking pot and drinking. This movie overall is not too bad. You might have to fans forward some scenes. I would not recommend this film to kids under 12
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. June 5, 2013

Probably the biggest waste of time, and the dumbest movie I've seen all year.

I didn't even finish, I got about half way and walked out of my living room to my room, and played batman.
Kid, 12 years old May 30, 2013

Bad website, good film!

I think the website is glamourising everything, making it seem like its bad I watched the movie after reading this review and was terrified because of the comments. It is more of a comedy, personally I hate any kind of scary movie but this I could watch over and over. The 'sex scene' is nothing, all it is is two people flying around kissing, again more comedy than what you would think.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2013

GREAT FILM, NOT FOR UNDER AGE 11

NOTE: THIS IS A STRONG PG-13 THAT PUSHES THE LIMIT AT TIMES. (And if you take your 7 or 8-year-old to PG-13 movies, that's not my problem. They will most likely be scared) Content Guide: Sex/Nudity: -Innuendo, and a scene of off-screen sex. Violence/Gore: The violence scale in this movie is at an R-rated scale. Includes graphic scenes of violence, and some disturbing content. Ex: -Two women are bitten on the neck by a vampire. -A large gargoyle falls on a couple, killing them off-screen. -Construction workers uncover a coffin, and are attacked by a vampire at night. Some are bitten, strangled, choked, etc. You can see blood trickling down nearby cars, and some pooling around the dead workers. Quite graphic and scary. -People walk off cliffs to their deaths. -People scream, and are killed off-screen. -A girl turns into a werewolf, and attacks a witch. -The last scene is intense, with a witch crumbling apart while being hit with shotgun rounds. The witch pulls out her heart, which is still betaing, inside her, which then crumbles in her hand. Graphic, and somewhat disturbing. -Blood drips down from paintings in the house. Disturbing. Drinking/Smoking/Drugs: -Some drinking/smoking. Frightening/Intense Scenes: -Pretty scary/graphic. -The last scene is scary/graphic. The ghost is also scary. -The main scene to worry about is the construction worker scene. Fairly bloody, and at night. -R-rated material. I thought it was good. Definitely one of Tim Burton's best. My MPAA rating: RATED R FOR HORROR VIOLENCE, DISTURBING IMAGES, COMIC VAMPIRE ACTION INCLUDING BLOOD, LANGUAGE, SMOKING, DRUG CONTENT, AND SOME SEXUALITY.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissAmi March 2, 2013

Don't waste your time..

Even though this movie has a great cast, it really is very boring and kinda gross. i only started watching it because Johnny Depp was in it and also other good actors but i was really disapointed and was actually considering turning it off halfway. Despite it being a comedy it was very gloomy and depressing and not really funny at all. Also very predictable and even though i mostly like fantasy and vampire movies this one i really would not recomend watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvolleyball chic February 28, 2013

A real disappointment

I thought Johnny Depp could make any movie funny, but in this situation that is not the case. This movie was a real disappointment. My older brother and I were supper excited to see this movie because the trailer made it look hilarious. The movie wasn't funny and it wasn't scary either. It was slow, boring and weird. The sexual content was strong, along with drug use and language. There also was a scene of a child being sent away to an asylum and receiving an electro shock. I hope Depp picks up his act or I won't be seeing another of his movies for a while.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShayiscool February 15, 2013

Dark Shadows (12)

Don't have it on if you have children under 12 and you are not in the room sometimes because they might get sceared it aslo says s*** at sometime as well if theres a aduit in the room and theres a 11year old there then thats fine i think it should be 9 with a aduit or 12 on you're own. (This is for Johney Depp's Version.) By the way it may seem a bit wired!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 February 9, 2013

Another hit for Burton...

I have always been a Tim Burton fan, and he does not disappoint with his newest bizarrely hilarious film. All of the actors do a fantastic job in this movie, with Michelle Pfeiffer as the matriarch trying to reign in am extremely dysfunctional family, newcomer Bella Heathcote as the wide eyed governess with a hidden talent, Johnny Depp as Barnabas, a vampire from the 1700's resurrected in the 1970's, Eva Green as Angelique, a witch with an agenda against Barnabas, Chloe Grace Moretz as Carolyn, the resident moody teenager with a dark secret, Helena Bonham Carter as the live in psychiatrist, and many others such as Jackie Earle Haley and Johnny Lee Miller. This film is very entertaining, although I would be cautious of allowing a child under 13 to see this, as it is mature. There are many sexual innuendos, many made by Moretz's character, and one full (very comical) sex scene between Barnabas and Angelique. There is a far amount of language, and many references to marijuana. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and recommend it to anyone who is in the mood for a weird but very funny movie that will leave a slightly confused smile on your face.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 January 2, 2013

Borderline R

If you've seen Tim Burton's movies before, you pretty much know what to expect in Dark Shadows - a dark, twisted, old-fashioned horror/drama/comedy that is very strange. Having not seen the original TV show that this movie is based on, I don't know how this compares in terms of content to the show, but this movie was given a PG-13 rating - and to be honest, it should be R. There's sex, violence (including blood), etc that isn't for kids at all. The villain is quite creepy, and even Depp's character isn't good looking by any means - he alone could scare younger audiences. The biggest issue in terms of content is the sexuality - there is one comical sex scene in which the main character has sex with a female character. She rips off her jacket to reveal her cleavage in which Depp basically ogles, then the female sits on a couch and she opens her legs wide so Depp can basically perform oral on her, and then they make out in a wild way. Also, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's character have a scene in which near the end of it, she lowers herself and it is suggested that she is giving Depp a BJ as the camera cuts when Depp's eyes light up. The young fifteen year-old girl dances in a somewhat sexy way in the background of one scene. Language is somewhat mild, but does include words like b*stard, sh*t, b*tch, whore, and a-hole just to name a few. The f-word isn't used surprisingly. The fifteen year-old girl asks Depp if he's stoned, while Depp in other scene is seen smoking a cigarette with a bunch of drunk hippies at a campfire. There's also some mild drug use and references to a character's alcohol addiction. Overall, your children not only shouldn't see this due to all the suggestive content, but your children probably won't get much out of this movie anyway - they may find Depp funny at times, but they may also find the movie too disturbing. I'd say this movie shouldn't be seen by children, and should only be seen by young adults at the earliest.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySithLordBeast October 30, 2012

kinda bad for pg13

Really CSM? 13+? and then you say halo is 16+? This movie was a little violent and barnabus the vampire kills people (onscreen and offscreen) and blood is shown on him after he bites people. Language is like the usually pg-13 movie's language, but there was a lot of innuendo and sex for a pg13 movie. I'd say this is more like 14-15+
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan October 26, 2012

NOT that good

this movie has no message or skill for the guy who cant write yes im talking to you the person who made the eqully stupid aberham lincoln:vampire hunter as you possibley see this movie is getting a bad review i told my mom,dad who dosnt care,brother,and sisters that this is a poor waste of time.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeace6001 October 24, 2012

Ok....but not the best

I was definetly expecting more from this film, and was very disappointed after I went down to see it. Most of the content, I would have to say, is not for young children or tweens. Teens and up, and understand why its PG-13.....
Teen, 14 years old Written byArtpigandtad October 5, 2012

Lame.....

This movie is terrible. I'm a big Tim Burton fan, but, this movie fails on all accounts. If Mystery Science Theatre 300 were making new episodes, they would probably pick this movie to make fun of. It's terrible.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 1, 2012

A strong PG-13 movie, but still good.

Ths movie barley made a PG-13 it has mild violence, drug use (queit a bit of it too), and sexual content. Its not scary its always funny and good.