All member reviews for Dark Shadows

Teen, 14 years old Written byvolleyball chic February 28, 2013

A real disappointment

I thought Johnny Depp could make any movie funny, but in this situation that is not the case. This movie was a real disappointment. My older brother and I were supper excited to see this movie because the trailer made it look hilarious. The movie wasn't funny and it wasn't scary either. It was slow, boring and weird. The sexual content was strong, along with drug use and language. There also was a scene of a child being sent away to an asylum and receiving an electro shock. I hope Depp picks up his act or I won't be seeing another of his movies for a while.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShayiscool February 15, 2013

Dark Shadows (12)

Don't have it on if you have children under 12 and you are not in the room sometimes because they might get sceared it aslo says s*** at sometime as well if theres a aduit in the room and theres a 11year old there then thats fine i think it should be 9 with a aduit or 12 on you're own. (This is for Johney Depp's Version.) By the way it may seem a bit wired!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjm97 February 9, 2013

Another hit for Burton...

I have always been a Tim Burton fan, and he does not disappoint with his newest bizarrely hilarious film. All of the actors do a fantastic job in this movie, with Michelle Pfeiffer as the matriarch trying to reign in am extremely dysfunctional family, newcomer Bella Heathcote as the wide eyed governess with a hidden talent, Johnny Depp as Barnabas, a vampire from the 1700's resurrected in the 1970's, Eva Green as Angelique, a witch with an agenda against Barnabas, Chloe Grace Moretz as Carolyn, the resident moody teenager with a dark secret, Helena Bonham Carter as the live in psychiatrist, and many others such as Jackie Earle Haley and Johnny Lee Miller. This film is very entertaining, although I would be cautious of allowing a child under 13 to see this, as it is mature. There are many sexual innuendos, many made by Moretz's character, and one full (very comical) sex scene between Barnabas and Angelique. There is a far amount of language, and many references to marijuana. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and recommend it to anyone who is in the mood for a weird but very funny movie that will leave a slightly confused smile on your face.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJohnem95 January 2, 2013

Borderline R

If you've seen Tim Burton's movies before, you pretty much know what to expect in Dark Shadows - a dark, twisted, old-fashioned horror/drama/comedy that is very strange. Having not seen the original TV show that this movie is based on, I don't know how this compares in terms of content to the show, but this movie was given a PG-13 rating - and to be honest, it should be R. There's sex, violence (including blood), etc that isn't for kids at all. The villain is quite creepy, and even Depp's character isn't good looking by any means - he alone could scare younger audiences. The biggest issue in terms of content is the sexuality - there is one comical sex scene in which the main character has sex with a female character. She rips off her jacket to reveal her cleavage in which Depp basically ogles, then the female sits on a couch and she opens her legs wide so Depp can basically perform oral on her, and then they make out in a wild way. Also, Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's character have a scene in which near the end of it, she lowers herself and it is suggested that she is giving Depp a BJ as the camera cuts when Depp's eyes light up. The young fifteen year-old girl dances in a somewhat sexy way in the background of one scene. Language is somewhat mild, but does include words like b*stard, sh*t, b*tch, whore, and a-hole just to name a few. The f-word isn't used surprisingly. The fifteen year-old girl asks Depp if he's stoned, while Depp in other scene is seen smoking a cigarette with a bunch of drunk hippies at a campfire. There's also some mild drug use and references to a character's alcohol addiction. Overall, your children not only shouldn't see this due to all the suggestive content, but your children probably won't get much out of this movie anyway - they may find Depp funny at times, but they may also find the movie too disturbing. I'd say this movie shouldn't be seen by children, and should only be seen by young adults at the earliest.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySithLordBeast October 30, 2012

kinda bad for pg13

Really CSM? 13+? and then you say halo is 16+? This movie was a little violent and barnabus the vampire kills people (onscreen and offscreen) and blood is shown on him after he bites people. Language is like the usually pg-13 movie's language, but there was a lot of innuendo and sex for a pg13 movie. I'd say this is more like 14-15+
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan October 26, 2012

NOT that good

this movie has no message or skill for the guy who cant write yes im talking to you the person who made the eqully stupid aberham lincoln:vampire hunter as you possibley see this movie is getting a bad review i told my mom,dad who dosnt care,brother,and sisters that this is a poor waste of time.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeace6001 October 24, 2012

Ok....but not the best

I was definetly expecting more from this film, and was very disappointed after I went down to see it. Most of the content, I would have to say, is not for young children or tweens. Teens and up, and understand why its PG-13.....
Teen, 14 years old Written byEgold123 October 14, 2012

Sexualy gross

I really love Johny Depp so I was very dissaopinted in this movie. The sexual parts of the movie were very disgusting and I personly do not sugest you see it. It kind of ruined my love for Johny Depp. :(
Teen, 14 years old Written byArtpigandtad October 5, 2012

Lame.....

This movie is terrible. I'm a big Tim Burton fan, but, this movie fails on all accounts. If Mystery Science Theatre 300 were making new episodes, they would probably pick this movie to make fun of. It's terrible.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie loving teen October 1, 2012

A strong PG-13 movie, but still good.

Ths movie barley made a PG-13 it has mild violence, drug use (queit a bit of it too), and sexual content. Its not scary its always funny and good.
Kid, 11 years old September 3, 2012

Worst movie of the year!

simply REDICULOUS comedy!!! I am shocked that Johnny Depp dared to show his face in this let alone be the mane part!!! I went to the midnight premiere and it was Awful! I am dissapointed in depp! This movie was just full of unfunny humor, tired plot, bad computer animation, and the acting wasn't as expected also! And they just HAD to add in sexual references and content, bad language, and intense violence so it was PG-13. This was also quite a bore! What a horrrible movie, save your money with this one!
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2012

Dark Shadows

Gotham meets Johnny Depp with Tim Burton makes yet again a messey, cleshay and cheesey entry to the Depp & Burton mash up with some corney laughs. Dark Shadows brings nothing new to the table with some really uneeded peformers and plot wholes, and has a very messey and stupid tone switching from Dark to Funny and on and on. Overall Dark Shadows does deliver a few chuckels at best with some ok peformances (Johnny Depp) and some awful peformances (Eva Green & Chloe Grace Moretz).
Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

I want Ilwatch more of the show now

It was very Good better than the show
Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert August 3, 2012

Good Movie Remake of the 1960's-1970's Soap Opera

-Violence: There are flashbacks of a girl being tortured for seeing ghosts. Barnabas is sometimes seen with blood on his mouth. One character's skin is like glass and breaks. -Sex: A lot of implied sex. One scene shows a woman descend down to the man's pelvic area. Barnabas hooks up with many characters. Some kissing. -Language: S--t, h--l, a--, b--ch, etc. -Drugs: In one scene, a circle of teenagers are smoking a joint. There is some alcohol This movie has some suggestive content in it, but it is enjoyable. Fans of the series may be impressed
Teen, 14 years old Written byjujuluvsdance July 15, 2012

Straange

The movie was to my surprise not a "kids" Movie. It had some sexy sences that were uncomfortable for the little ones. I only laughed about once or twice and the only funny parts were actually in the Trailer. There is a lot of killing (Only because of the Vampire aspect of it) it was a little evil. The features were laughable fake. Overall it is a pretty good movie
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 27, 2012

Odd, less impressive addition to Burton's canon

Wonderful images come to mind when you think of Burton/Depp collaborations, but this movie will likely not be in those memories. Though Depp is predictably excellent in his snooty, but elegant and funny role (maybe they'll give him a Golden Globe or something) and the rest of the cast is fine all around, the movie can't seem to decide what genre it is: horror, comedy, melodrama. And it turns out just falling flat.
Kid, 12 years old May 21, 2012

Very iffy, but very good as well

I'm gonna make this short, sweet and simple. This movie is for mature tweens and teens only, not for kids. It isn't anything horrible, most of the more sexual stuff is skimmed over and not in detail, and the violence is fine for anyone who's seen any action movie (live action, that is). One suggestion: don't make this the first thing that is sexually inappropriate. Since it browses over so much, there will be a lot of questions from your child if they don't know what is going on during that. As for quality, this truly is a Burton classic. If you're a fan of his style, this one is a must see. It is chock full of his usual eeriness, beauty in design and story, quirky humor, amazing costumes and set, and as I like to call it, "epicness", in the way that he creates a tale that feels fully fleshed out, dramatic, entertaining the whole way through, poetic, and finished in a final epic stroke of genius.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaileyKnowsBest May 20, 2012

Good, but a little innapropriate.

Mostly sexual innuendo, refrences, content. Most violent scene is at the end of the movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2012

Don't bother

When I saw the trailer for Dark Shadows, I thought it was going to be a funny vampire movie spoof. Turns out they took the only funny parts of the movie and put them into the trailer to make it seem like it was going to be a comedy. With Johnny Depp, I'm used to funny movies and this wasn't funny. It had a couple funny parts, but I expected much more. There was constant killing and two women committed suicide by falling off a cliff. Frankly, it was quite frightening. There was a disturbing image of a ghost. When a little girl was taken away to a mental asylum, she was screaming for her parents. Then she had electric shock treatments which were very disturbing to me. The constant sexual references made me uncomfortable and made me want to leave the theater. There was one sex scene in which you didn't actually see anything but made me uncomfortable anyway. The swearing wasn't too bad, but there were some pretty bad words in there, ex. wh--re, bas--rd. The violence was horrible. The women fell off the cliffs and you see them smashing onto the pointy rocks below. There was an excessive amount of killing. I wish I hadn't gone to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLittle movie freak May 19, 2012

Johnny Depp stars as a vampire in this funny, bizarre, and quirky vampire tale! *Expect some very bizarre and frightening action, mild suggestive innuendo, and brief mild inappropriate language/cursing*.