All member reviews for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Intense sequel is darker than first, with more weapons.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan March 13, 2015

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movie review

In all honesty, I didn't love the first reboot in this franchise. But I can safely say that "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is one of the best summer movies I have ever seen in my life. What I expected was a summer blockbuster with only action and no story. What I got was one of the most emotional film experiences of 2014. I loved this film. It was my favorite movie of 2014 for a while until I saw "Boyhood" and for a summer blockbuster to be at the top of my list is very hard. The acting in this movie is unbelievable as is the action. We see the characters struggle and interact with one anothers. The beauty of this film is that there is no definite villain and everyone has their motives. The movie balances the apes and humans perfectly. The cinematograhpy is beautiful and crisp. There is not one part of the movie that drags. It is endlessly rewatchable and one of the best motion-capture movies I have ever seen in my life. This movie was so good it should have been nominated for "Best Picture" at the Academy Awards(R).
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohnny brew March 5, 2015

Dawn of the planet of the apes

12 and up
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats February 20, 2015

Amazing.

Very, very violent at times! But this adds to the realism- which you wouldn't expect, given the fact that it is about apes taking over the world in the future. The casting is brilliant, and you will find yourself really getting in to the story and getting attached to certain characters (while hating others). This movie shows the truth and the bad side of human nature, and makes one question (if one hasn't already) whether or not humans are as superior as they seem to think. However, it does also show their good side!
Parent Written byevanc1 February 17, 2015

Good Movie, nothing too bad.

This was a pretty good movie, it didn't have much raunchy content at all, but there is a lot of violence, including apes carrying machine guns, and firing them at people.
Adult Written bysarge123 February 12, 2015

Dark and violent. Contains strong language. 14+

Adult Written byjoshua martinez January 11, 2015

13 and up.

based on the first film this science fiction movie Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is a good movie to watch but only for teens and parents to see but parents you need to know that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has a lot of intense violence such as shooting, setting them on fire, and crushing them there's also some mild language used and a little bit of drinking used there is a great message to this movie its about trust, diplomacy, and peacekeeping and the role model is that Caesar wants to peacefully co-exist with humans with the apes in their part of the world and remaining humans in theirs. He doesn't see all humans as evil or a threat. Caesar is a strong leader as well as a loving father and mate. He urges apes to seek out peace and family, not hatred and vengeance.
Educator and Parent Written byPhhhth December 30, 2014

Original still my favorite.

I feel this would have been as great a movie as the original without the bad language and taking God's name in vain. Not worth my families time to hear our Friend's name in vain. It was inappropriate for us ages 11 to 64
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovielover123456 December 20, 2014

Epic

Monkeys riding on horses with machine guns. Great story lines. The action was awesome. Cant wait for the next one! There is violence and language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 December 9, 2014

Really and truly, this is not only better than Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, but it's one of the best films of the year. The acting was great, the visual effects were one of the greatest I have seen all year and the action was fun.
Teen, 17 years old Written bycristoboldc December 3, 2014

Apes + Sequel + Horses + Guns = Awesome

As far as sequels go, this is one of the greater ones with the likes of The Dark Knight and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Upping the stakes, setting a darker tone, and exploring deeper into the ape mythology. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes excels above other summer blockbusters by seeking character defining moments while also delivering state of the art special effects. Overall, fantastic film and sequel with plenty of substance throughout the story for any to enjoy.
Kid, 10 years old December 3, 2014

GREAT! FOR 10-11 UP

I have seen it when I was 9, and me nor my dad found it that bad. RED=0-9 ORANGE=10-11. GREEN=12+. OMG it was such a good movie with good role models. A very mature 9 year old can see this. Mature 10 year olds. Kind of mature/O.K. marks 11 year olds. bad 12+
Teen, 16 years old Written byAvengingSon98 December 3, 2014

Kid, 11 years old November 30, 2014

Really good movie!

There are darker things in this movie than in the first one. Like more violence including shooting people and the apes and killing them. There are also more stronger language like s**t, asshole, damn it, one f**king at the end, hell, and bitch. Great movie, but for teenagers 13 and up.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeriouslytholikebrah November 24, 2014

Laaaaaaaaaat... I see you Gollum, I see you!

Some of the best performances I've seen from motion capture in a while. It may only be me but the best part for me was when that guy (the one who shot the ape) got tossed like Loki in the Avengers. The smack down at the end was on point and I would totally advise everyone to go see it.
Written byAnonymous October 10, 2014

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: Malcolm briefly kisses Ellie. An ape gives birth. 1/10. ========================================================= Violence: A graphical map shows the spread of the simian flu across the globe, with reports of millions of humans being killed. During this, we also see quick clips of rioting, burning fires and such. The apes hunt deer in an aggressive manner, attacking them throughout the woods, with some of the apes being hit in the process. During this, a large bear swipes Blue Eyes with its paw, followed by Caesar landing on the bear but being thrown off. With both in danger, Koba leaps down and impales the bear with a spear, killing it. Startled by Blue Eyes and Ash, Carver pulls his gun on the two chimps and then shoots Ash, severely wounding him. Malcolm and other humans quickly show up, only to be surrounded by apes, prompting the humans to aim rifles and handguns at them. Malcolm slowly makes his way into the ape compound (despite Caesar telling them not to return) and we see a large gorilla show up behind him. Other apes then also show up and surround him. We then see him being carried and then dropped near Caesar. As he talks, the large gorilla twice pushes him hard to the ground, all while Koba aggressively holds a spear near him. Dynamite (or similar) is used in an attempt to clear debris from inside the dam, but it causes pieces to fall onto Carver (who's bloodied from that) and others until some apes help free them. Caesar's toddler son plays around with the humans and then accidentally uncovers a shotgun that Carver smuggled in (guns aren't allowed). Carver goes to swat away the baby chimp, but an ape then hits him and another human, followed by one person aiming the shotgun at that ape. Caesar then arrives and hits that person and grabs the shotgun, taking turns aiming it at the various humans before throwing it off into the distance. One man forcibly pushes Carver into a truck. Koba throws Alexander down and goes to attack him again, but Maurice blocks that action. Caesar then shows up and the two chimps briefly fight and tussle, with Caesar repeatedly banging Koba to the floor and choking him until he gives up (bloodied). Two men do some target practice with machine guns and then drink some. Koba shows up and briefly scares the men, but then pretends to be a clown chimp, prompting the men to offer him some of the liquor. Koba drinks some but then spray-spits it out, followed by grabbing one machine gun and shooting one man dead, followed by doing the same to the other (impact not seen for either). Koba pulls Carver from a truck and pummels him to death (out of the camera shot). Koba shoots Caesar in the chest, sending Caesar falling down through the trees and out of sight, all while another ape sets fire to the apes' compound, resulting in an inferno. Apes invade the city, with Dreyfus and others blasting them from behind a wall, while some humans are shot or grabbed and yanked away. The apes then invade and arm themselves in a nearby armory, followed by a gun battle between the two sides where humans and apes (more of the latter) are shot and wounded or killed. Explosions knock down (and injure or kill) various apes and the horses they're riding, while more gunfire takes down additional apes, and gunfire hits the human compound and Dreyfus sees a dead young man near him. Dreyfus fires a bazooka (or similar) into some barrels of fuel, causing a huge explosion that engulfs many apes (we see a few on fire), followed by one ape throwing a burning barrel into the humans' compound, setting off a smaller explosion. A tank (or similar) fires its machine guns into various apes, but Koba gets on that, attacks the gunner up top (pummeling him to death) and then those inside (we don't see their deaths). The tank then crashes through the compound wall, allowing the apes inside. One man hits an ape with a rope stanchion, but Koba stops him and orders another ape to kill him with the same. When that ape won't comply, Koba drags him up the stairs and then tosses him over a ledge, causing the ape to fall to his death. Maurice and other apes grab apes working for Koba (through the bus windows where they've been imprisoned), and bang them against the side of the bus. The bus then overturns and lands on those bad apes. During this, Blue Eyes fires a machine gun at other apes who also return fire. There's sudden machine gun fire at Malcolm, Caesar and other apes as he tries to sneak them through a subway station into the city. SPOILER ALERT: Caesar and Koba fight atop an unfinished building tower, hitting and banging each other around, including them falling and hitting building pieces and such. Koba ends up with a bloody side wound from that, but continues coming at Caesar with a large pipe, while Caesar defends himself with a large piece of sheet of metal. Caesar ends up repeatedly hitting Koba on his side wound, but the platform they're on partially collapses, sending both jumping onto chains where they continue their battle. Down below, Dreyfus grabs a detonator and then sets off C-4 explosives as Malcolm ducks for cover. The explosion sends a fireball up the tower, part of which collapses from that, injuring or killing various apes. Koba then fires a machine gun at Caesar and other apes, hitting two. Caesar then dives down into Koba, knocking him back (with another partial platform collapse), resulting in Koba dangling from a girder. Caesar takes his hand, but then lets him go, and he falls a long distance down the inside of the tower, hitting some parts of that on the way down. 7/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: Following a bear swiping him with its huge paw, Blue Eyes has some claw scars on his chest. Caesar's son is born (we don't see the actual act) and the baby chimp is slightly covered in some birth goo. Dynamite (or similar) is used in an attempt to clear debris from inside the dam, but it causes pieces to fall onto Carver (who's bloodied from that) and others until some apes help free them. Koba throws Alexander down and goes to attack him again, but Maurice blocks that action. Caesar then shows up and the two chimps briefly fight and tussle, with Caesar repeatedly banging Koba to the floor and choking him until he gives up (bloodied). A dead young man near Dreyfus has some blood on him. Malcolm, Ellie and Alexander find Caesar alive, but badly wounded and bloody. We see that Koba has a bloody side wound (and some blood on his hand from touching that) during a battle with Caesar. He later has blood on his face. 5/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 1 "f" word (and a possible mouthed one), 8 "s" words, 5 asses (2 used with "hole"), 4 hells, 3 S.O.B.'s, and 2 uses of "Oh my God," and 1 use of "Jesus Christ" as exclamations. 5.5/10. ========================================================= Alcohol/Drugs: Alexander reads a book passage to Maurice that includes a line about hanging out at the "kegger" by the swimming pool. Two men do some target practice with machine guns and then drink some. Koba shows up and briefly scares the men, but then pretends to be a clown chimp, prompting the men to offer him some of the liquor. Koba drinks some but then spray-spits it out. 3/10. ========================================================= Smoking: Carver smokes a few times (and unsuccessfully tries to light up another one). 3/10. ========================================================= Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an amazing science fiction film and is an improvement over its predecessor, I definitely recommend it. I give it 7.5/10. =========================================================
Parent Written bymadra October 2, 2014

brilliant

much better compared to rise the planet of the apes
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 15, 2014

Intense footage in great sequel but much more dark and gritty but also improved

My rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action,language,sexuality/nudity,drug references and swordplay
Kid, 12 years old August 30, 2014

Loved it!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is an amazing movie. It does give many positive messages and is overall clean. But there is a lot of violence. This includes apes been shot down or being burned by fire. Plenty of war between humans and apes. As violent as this sounds, you have to understand how brilliant of a movie this is. It's a story of leadership and loyalty and is definetly a must see for everyone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 August 30, 2014

Common sense media gives a good reveiw for once.

I, for once, just agree with the site, read the official review, for once it makes sense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck August 11, 2014

Overrated.

A bit of humor. Could've used less talking and more action. The story is okay. I didn't really care about the characters. The acting is average. The CGI for the apes is really good, but the gunfire is cheesy. It has some violence, no blood. There is some swearing including sh*t, d*mn, @$$hole and one F bomb use. Overall, I'd wait for DVD.