All member reviews for Dazed and Confused

Edgy coming-of-age tale has underage drinking and drug use.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byellcar_fairjudge March 15, 2011

Not a "stoner comedy"; It's an accurate character study for the '70s

Dazed & Confused is an excellent character study to show viewers about how high school may have been in a small town in the mid-70's. Students watching the movie can see the similarities and differences to their own school and friends. *Possible Spoiler Alert* Some scenes do depict excessive hazing of the soon-to-be new freshmen. And most importantly shows kids that teasing is not the end of the world. It does NOT cause long-term "trauma". As was in the film, hazing can be overcome not by violence, but by positive social means, such as afterward building a friendship between the parties involved (paraphrased quote from the film: "It'd be cool to show them it doesnt bother you that much"). A minor concern would be drug use the under-age drinking. It should be explained that experimentation is a part of life, and most people who do are not adversly affected in any major way (though the possibility of unfavorable short- and long-term effects should be discussed ). Another issue may be that, as a character study that takes place during a time outside of their own, younger viewers(10-14) may get bored or not follow the purpose of some of the scenes and activities that take place throughout the film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 August 12, 2009
I love this movie! I first saw it when I was in the fourth grade. It's a great film that shows a bunch of teenagers in 1976. Great 1970's soundtrack, I even bought a copy after I saw the film. It's like an R-rated version of That's 70's Show. There's profanity and marijuana use, as well as some sexual content and a fight scene. Should be okay for anyone over the age of 10
Teen, 13 years old Written byasecoolish February 3, 2011
its great and its very funny let me mind you this is a stoner comedy so there's a lot of (non graphic) drug and alcohol use involving teens there's some suggestive dialog but its not extreme there's a substantial amount of strong language and paddling against fresh mans but this is a kind of movie that you can just relax to and chill out to. and if you have this movie and haven't seen it then watch it and if you don't have it it would be a lot cooler if you did man. and if your teen is mature then let them watch this movie. IT A CLASSIC.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycola January 3, 2016
This movie is great. The soundtrack is the best! I would say this is for teens 14 years and up because that is when I watched it and the youngest characters are around that age. Im a freshman this year. There is a lot of drug use but its only pot. You should let your teens around that age watch it. Its a great coming of age movie.Its also really quotable.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 October 24, 2014

Alright, alright, alright!

This movie is the cinematic equivalent of a good time! Of course it's notable for A-listers Affleck and McConaughey showing up in supporting roles, Affleck as the senior jerk flunky and McConaughey as stoned, laconic Wooderson. But the movie, in my opinion, demystifies the high school myth: these guys have no idea what they're doing after their reign as kings of high school...they're all the same! The incoming freshman, Wiley Wiggins, is introduced to this debauchery, and even though it summons nostalgia, especially for those earlier decades, I have to say this movie makes me kind of glad I'm out of high school. You gotta grow up some time! This is when Linklater first dazed us, and I'm so glad he's been making movie magic ever since.
Parent Written byPlague September 3, 2010

Dazed and Confused

This funny classic is great for teens.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylss72290 April 9, 2008
this is a classic and every american over the age of 13 should see this
Adult Written bysmoketrix April 9, 2008

One of my favorite movies! got to see it!

If your into the 70's type of movies, then you will love this movie. Great for kids above 14 i would say. A lot of drugs and drinks go around but a wonderful movie.
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2016

Great movie

Dazed and Confused is a great movie to kick of the summer, and is funny too. It had a lot of drug use because it's set in the 1970's and people use to smoke and do drugs a lot. The F-words is okay and not constant. There's lots of sexual references to the film. My Rating R: for Pervasive Drug Use, Language and Sexual References
Adult Written bykipwalker44 June 2, 2015
Educator Written bysimpleseth July 21, 2013

Plotless Movie That Has No Clue At What It Wants To Be

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy stoner comedies and coming-of-age films. Unfortunately, Richard Linklater decided to make a movie with zero story and character development. This film is overrated and has no redeeming qualities. I watched this movie all the way through on at least three occasions and found it to be completely boring. All the characters are stereotypes and there is so much drug use, without any purpose. I'll pass but if you wish to see it, knock yourself out!
Parent Written by915071 April 25, 2013
Teen, 15 years old Written bytylerkippert July 18, 2012

A Cult Classis That Keeps The 1970's Alive

-Violence: The seniors give the freshmen an initiation. The guys have a paddle and severely paddle the freshmen. The girls humiliate the girls, but nothing exactly violent. There is a fist fight at the end. -Sex: Nothing is shown, but it's sometimes discussed. A senior asks a girl if she "spits" or "swallows". There is some kissing. An older man that's been out of high school for years hangs out with teenagers and flirt. -Language: The "F" word is said frequently. Along with s--t and a-s -Consumerism: not an issue -Drugs: Teenagers are frequently drinking and smoking marijuana.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKookie101 June 22, 2010