All member reviews for Dear Dumb Diary

Teen, 13 years old Written bySamuel M. September 14, 2013

Dear Dumb Diary: An unbearably faithful adaptation that kids will eat up

There is a plethora of children's books within the Diary of a Wimpy Kid revolution, one of them being Dear Dumb Diary. This series actually debuted a couple years before Kinney's, so it has a little bit of an upper hand. The series even got a movie--however, said movie turned out to be a TV movie that released on DVD exclusively at Walmart. Enough about that, let's talk about the movie. It stars Jamie Kelly, a small girl with a big imagination. She vents most of her thoughts into her diary as well as cheesy musical sequences, and she is accompanied by her friend Isabella. Her plan is to save the art program by conquering a jump roping fundraiser. You can practically see the derivative influences within the plot and characterization. Implausible events to this movie is like oil to a car. But enough snark--kids will probably be too entertained with the musical segments and such as they watch the book come to life. It's dumbed-down entertainment for older viewers, but a marvelous movie for younger audiences.
Kid, 10 years old September 13, 2013

Grade: A+ For my entertainment!

BEST. MOVIE. EVER. I love the More than just a number to me song! Educational Value: I don't think this was made for educating people. Positive Messages: I don't know, but after this review I'm going to watch it again to see. Then I'll edit. Positive role models: Jamie and Angeline. Jamie is a very cool kid who loves her diary ( even she calls it a dear DUMB diary ). Angeline sticks up for Jamie in one part of the scene where everyone is seeing her diary. Violence: Some bumps from Isabella, but it's from contacts. At the beginning, it looks like Isabella is going to attack Angeline ( due to Angeline stealing her " signature lip gloss flavor " ) In the song Perfect People, models and famous people are tied up and are thrown into a bus. Sexy Stuff: There is a character that has a HUGE crush on Hudson ( obviously you can tell JAMIE is the one ). In More Than A Number To Me, Hudson DOES kiss her on the cheek, but not the lips. Imaginable crazy romantic moments ( and by crazy I mean Hudson comparing to two butterflies with their PET UNICORN ). Language: If names count, WHERE DO I BEGIN? First of all, the title is Dear DUMB Diary, but there is name calling people names in songs ( Idiots and fools and goons and half-wits, Freaks of Nature, Freaking Weak ). Trolls is used in the beginning in the movie ( If you are my parents, then YES, I know I'm not allowed to call people idiots and fools and trolls ). Consumerism: I saw her using Puffs Tissues when she was sad when her diary was stolen. Saw an apple laptop. Drugs: Not applicable.
Teen, 15 years old Written byManic-tan March 1, 2014

Worse Than the Wayside TV Adaptation

Oh my God! How do you botch up a book adaptation this badly? Okay, let me just rephrase that. How does your franchise with relative characters, zany mischief, and comedic gold turn into the exact opposite?! My biggest complaint, of course, are the characters. The worst offenders are the two main characters, Angeline and especially Jamie. In the books, Jamie was a selfish, psychotic, obsessive brat, and Jim Benton, the author of the books, knew that and made fun of it. Here, Jamie is a selfish brat, and that's about it. The movie doesn't seem aware of it, which makes this version of Jamie unbearable. Angeline in the book is a perfect girl with a bad record- an angel outside, but a devil inside. Here, she's a Mary-Sue. You can't compete with her. She is literally God. And Isabella... Sweet, sweet Isabella, my favorite character in the books. What happened? She's so despicable in this movie, I just wanted to puke. My other complaint are the musical numbers. Here's a note, producers: Not every kids film needs a musical number every two minutes. I'd be fine with these numbers if 1:) They didn't occur at random every two minutes and 2:) IF THEY WEREN'T THE LENGTH OF YOUR AVERAGE PHARRELL WILLIAMS SONG! I'm not joking; the songs here are literally two-and-a-half to three minutes long! God damn! Overkill much?! Then we get to the plot, one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. A jump-a-thon to get the art program to stay. Jamie and Angeline sign up. They raise money. Isabella wastes it on contacts. Jump-a-thon arrives. Angeline can't hold the rope and jump. Jamie helps her win. Not enough plot? Or should I say PLOTS?! Yeah, there're three of them. It involves Aunt Carol (Jamie's aunt) and the assistant principal getting engaged (Spoilers: Angeline and Jamie are now related), and the climax- Jamie losing her diary. Wow... what a moving climax, am I right? It should also be noted that the editing is atrocious! I know Hallmark isn't a super big production, but I expect a hell of a lot better editing than this. The jump-cuts are irritating and obvious, and the special effects are done wrong. Hell, they couldn't even get the green screen effect right. "BUT THIS IS A KIDS FILM! WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING?!" A lot more maturity and dignity than this. You know, like Ramona and Beezus. Just because it's a kids film doesn't mean it has to have shallow characters, dumb plots, and a cheap budget. Disney is a huge example of this. Overall, don't even bother watching this. It's a waste of time. Read the books instead.
Kid, 9 years old March 1, 2014

This movie is pause for kids aged 4 and under.

THIS MOVIE IS PAUSE FOR KIDS AGED 4 AND UNDER BEACUSE JAMIE KELLY KEEPS A DIARY AND SHE LETS NO ONE READ IT.
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2014

LEARNING
I like the fact that they did'nt copy diary of a wimpy kid. It's good they used musical numbers to keep the show interesting. P.S. Great casting for Jamie. She's kinda cute. not just saying that because we are the same age and i"m desperate. P.P.S: BACK OFF HUDSON!!!! I wonder why they don't put girls like this in MY middle school?! Aww! the movie just ended. If they don't make a sequel, I'll cry
Teen, 16 years old Written bySodaDog March 23, 2014

Four Stars?! COME ON!!!!

This movie is stupid, cheesy and messed with the original book. Sheesh, that must be the most forgettable musical sequences i seen in forever! Don't see it.
Kid, 9 years old March 2, 2014

Great movie!

I love this movie because it's a fun movie.
Kid, 9 years old January 31, 2014

good for any age

this movie is fun to watch over and over again but it's kind of stupid. when Hudson walks over to Jamie he says he decorated the box she bought him for his birthday, I mean come on a box, that's stupid! but otherwise it's a great movie for all ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnoopysClues December 25, 2014

Cheesy

This film was 50% like the books. All the characters were on point except for Jamie. Isn't Jamie supposed to have long brown hair and actually look like her age? That brings me to my next issue. Only Angeline and Hudson look like middle school students while Isabella and Jamie look like 4th graders. The acting is terrible. By the way, Jamie acts like a fan girl around Hudson. In reality, which this story is supposed to be about, nobody actually fangirls over their crush unless they do not know them personally. The movie barely focuses on her diary until it gets stolen. Besides, who actually reads aloud what they are writing? I mean, people do that but they usually mumble TO THEMSELVES. The makers should have put a narration. As for the singing and dancing every two minutes, this is a movie about a girl in middle school, not a Disney movie. Even Frozen has better songs with much better topics. Singing about lunch meat, diaries, and a cuteness scale at your school is not worth putting into a film. Hmm, I don't remember Jamie singing in the book. Anyway, the boys that were reading Jamie's diary would have seen Jamie's name when they opened it. Even if they didn't, when Jamie dropped her tray and caused a everybody in the cafeteria to stop and stare when she saw that, it would've been obvious that was hers and probably wouldn't believed it wasn't when Angeline covered for her. Also Jamie's hair is very messy most of the time. Shouldn't she have a more appealing look? Overall, it was somewhat entertaining but would be even more to younger kids.
Kid, 10 years old March 24, 2014

Funny but crush was... Creepy

Okay so Jamie, aged eleven, has a crush on a boy in her class named Hudson, which I'm fine with. I mean, I have crushes and I'm younger than her. But what I mean is, it's kinda creepy. Okay so kids and teens think about your crush, would you seriously act around him/her like Jamie acts around Hudson? It looks desperate, seriously. Parents, remember back to when you had crushes. Weird how she acts right!!! If my crush came over to me and said "Hey I decorated this box which you got me," - which is slightly strange in itself - I wouldn't stare like a puppy and look, basically, idiotic. I would TALK to him, try to make him laugh or something. This could have been a good movie but seriously, try to make it realistic if you ever make a sequel. In movies, teenagers can talk to their crushes and actually act human, but tweens can't? Well that certainly makes a lot of sense. The aimed audience for this movie are tweens and if you're going to portray us like that, less of us are going to watch it. If Jamie was smart and funny around Hudson, or at least capable of speaking, this would have been a great movie. But that honestly just offended me. Jamie, Angeline, Hudson and Isabella all look about seven years old as well and in the song Perfect People... But Jamie's pretty. She's going on about how she doesn't like beautiful people - did the casters ever stop and think that what is the point of an attractive girl singing about the less pretty people getting a chance to be heard?
Kid, 10 years old November 17, 2013

Most horrible movie

Horrible! It is a diry excuse for a movie! Jamie just cares about popularity and that boy.
Kid, 10 years old March 22, 2014

I think it is awsome beacuse jamie writes everthing in her diary and it is funny and if you like musicals then you will love this.
Kid, 9 years old March 14, 2014

Dear Dumb Diary: An unbearably faithful adaptation that kids will eat up

Teen, 14 years old Written byATL_Princess April 17, 2015

Slightly disappointed

I've read the Dear Dumb Diary books for years, and I think they made the movie too childish. I find it alright for younger kids but it also had lots of material for more teenaged audiences. Otherwise, not bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byDobbyNeverMeant2Kill January 3, 2015

Dear Dumb Movie

Short Reveiw: Cliche Long Reveiw: Meet Jamie Kelly, an 11 year old girl who likes art and writing. That's it -- the total character depth. We start into the film with a "grand" musical number featuring a 6th grader dancing And singing about how dumb she thinks her written thoughts are and threatening her parents. Aunt Carol, a "super old 32 yr old" is "super cool" and likes to give her neice dating advice. Oh, and she's also dating the vice principal. At school, vp Devon has just announced that the art program and many other clubs will be closed due to budget cuts -- UNLESS every kid in the school raises money in the Jump A Thon. In class, we sing a lovely musical number detailing that blondes, celebs, and models (who are just doing the job they love) should be sent to an island where they will have surgically implanted unibrows and hairy leg tattoos JUST FOR BEING THEM. And then we save Hudson, our crush, who's walked on ground we worship, from ninjas. Also while singing and dancing. We sing about the social caste at school, and how Hudson is the eigth cutest. And how meatloaf is mysterious (later poisoning a cafe lady) "you're gonna eat it! And you're gonna like it!" Then we steal school records while everyone is distracted. Our bestie Isabella helps us raise funds for both the jump a Thon and the "Junior Optometry Federation". We clean our room, and realize our diary is lost! SOMEONE STOLE IT! and it must have been that evil blondie Angiline who did it! At school the next day, we meet up with Isabella who claims that "we filled up the entire charity." Isabella (who's eyes do not appear green at all) reveals that she spent the money for the "charity" on contacts, which she markered green (scratching her cornea in the process). Angry, we go to lunch where we spot Angeline and her friends reading OUR diary! In front of HUDSON! After being comforted by Aunt Carol and her story about HER middle school crush, we go to the jump a Thon. We find Hudson, who isn't talknh to us, and Angeline who is crying because she got the most, sponsors, and now "can't even twirl a rope!" We blackmail Isabella into helping us twirl the rope for her, and she wins the competition. We ask he why she couldn't jump and she says that she needs both hands to keep the hair out of her face. "PONYTAIL?! GOODONE!" Now we are congratulated by Hudson, who it turns out was only not talking to us because Isabella stepped on his throught and he couldn't talk. He says that "he really needs to tell us something", that he tastes blood and Needs to see a nurse. "HE'S SO INTO US *girly grunt*!!!" We hear from Isabella that Angeline covered for us (wow, I'm so touched by your climax) with the diary and Hudson. Aunt Carol throws a party, where she announces that she is engaged to Devon, also revealing that this means J and A will be related. Later, we get a call from Angeline "HUDSON IS STILL MY DATE TO THE WEDDING!!!!" and scene. Why even? This was a very stereotypical, low quality film. Insinuating that all blondes (and this is coming from a brunette) are mean, selfish, and girly is disgusting. Models and actors etc. are just doing what they love. It's when people make it into consumerism that it all goes awry. 11 yr olds are going through changes and it's normal to have strange feelings, but seriously? This is borderline obsessive. No one REALLY cares about meatloaf, or dog farts, or cruel ways to "punish" pretty people. But what did I expect from a direct to tv "film"??!!