All member reviews for Despicable Me 2

More minions and romance make for a sweet, silly sequel.

Parent Written byNZmamoose July 2, 2013

Not the best message for kids

I took my 6 yr old, hesitantly, to this for a fund-raiser. There are some quite scary bits in it and she's been having nightmares every night since. She's also been role playing the violent parts. I know it's only cartoon violence, but I believe this promotes a message to children that I'd rather not endorse. I find it weird getting laughs from hurting others. There were boyfriend-girlfriend themes which were inappropriate for younger viewers (the teacher at school has been asking parents to stop allowing their kids to watch this type of thing, as they role play it back at school). I enjoyed the movie myself though because of the adult humour, but I think 9+yrs for this one.
Kid, 9 years old July 3, 2013

Awesome:)

Wow! I loved it! It has some very good actors and actresses like Steve Carell, Miranda Cosgrove, and a bunch more! I loveed it and it is TOTALLY appropriate!
Adult Written bycourtwork July 3, 2013

Great laughs for 8 or 9 and up

I like this movie. My husband and I laughed right along with our 10 year old. There are so many cleverly funny parts. The returning characters are the strongest: Gru, the minions, Agnes, the middle sister, and Dr. Nefario. There are some new characters who aren't quite as strong in my opinion. I love Kristen Wiig, but the character of Lucy is just OK for me. We didn't take our 6 year old, and I'm glad. As with most sequels, the ante is upped on violence, romance, and scariness. *Spoiler Alert* When the character of Lucy is introduced, she basically abducts Gru by force: tazering and smashing him into a car trunk, etc. It's supposed to be funny, but since we already love Gru and we don't yet know Lucy, I think this sequence might be confusing and upsetting for small kids. Later, she jokingly talks about how much she enjoyed doing it, which is weird. The minions become vibrating purple bad guys with giant teeth who eat everything they see, which is alarming for some small kids. I know my little one has a hard time digesting the previously funny cute good guys becoming a threat. I heard some distressed cries in the theater during this and some other climactic parts of the movie. The character of Margo, who is obviously still prepubescent, has a small romance with a boy in the mall. It's very tame, but delivers a message nonetheless. The boy is playing the cool guy who sweeps her off her feet (they sit at a table alone in his dad's restaurant and eat cookies) and he ultimately breaks her heart by flitting to another girl by the end of the movie. At the end she says, "boys stink" and Gru agrees. I don't like this portrayal for this age group (especially of boys). Boys are as innocent as girls at this age, if not more so; most are certainly not "players." Margo has a phone and is seen texting while in bed - it feels like the other girls are roughly the same age as in the original movie, but Margo is suddenly a teenager. Also in the romance department, Gru ultimately falls in love with Lucy, who admittedly evolves into a loving character, who cares for the authentic Gru. The character of the villain protagonist is colorful, but becomes big and scary at one point. All in all, we enjoyed the film. There are good conversations that can be had with slightly older kids about the aforementioned elements. I recommend this movie for parents with kids 8 or 9 and up, possibly younger, depending on your child.
Educator and Parent Written byranc January 20, 2014

Yuck.

I was stunned by the level of violence in this movie and am not surprised to read the attached parent's reviews describing many examples of children screaming in cinemas and resulting nightmares. I'm a parent and also a child psychologist who is very concerned about the level and effects of media violence on young developing minds - really, we need to stop and think about what we're feeding our children as entertainment. We watched this movie on Xmas day at a relative's house and I finished watching it feeling incredibly sad. Sad that this level of violence has become normalised to the point that it's made its way into the cinemas and homes with very little questioning as to its suitability for children. Hollywood makes it so must be alright yes? I popped onto this site this morning to see your review, and when I saw your "Best" and "Worst" lists, went straight to the "Worst" as that's where I assumed you would have listed it! How disappointing to find that not only was your review peppered with adjectives like "sweet", "cute" "irresistible" "hilarious", but you'd put it in the Best of 2013 list. A "minions filled adventure for the entire family", "violence is cartoonish and silly but does include biological weapons and a taser gun". But what is "silly" to an adult reviewer is very different to a child and this is what this website is meant to be geared towards - helping parents make sensible choices for their children. This movie features non stop violence, murder, beatings, assaults. Why does it being in cartoon form negate that? Beyond that it involves episodes of characters becoming inebriated, one to the point of passing out, an overtly sexualised "date" who is drugged and assaulted while passed out and being driven home (presumably OK because she's been cast in the role of bimbo?). And when did pole-dancing become normalised into mainstream children's media? But because it's all "cute" and "silly", it's OK? I can't even remember what else, loads of other stuff that had me clawing the sofa. I'd be interested to see a content analysis on this movie re amounts of acts of violence per minute. It was non-stop, unnecessary and gratuitous. What concerns me is that we now seem to rate effects of violence on what kids "can handle" rather than what's "good for them" (don't take your 5 year old because they'll scream the cinema down, but your 7 year old will probably just get freaked out a bit)? Yes, I can make the choice not to view this stuff, but as a professional in the area I also feel a responsibility to speak up. Surely as parents and educators, our focus should be on nurturing our children's minds, helping them flourish and develop as socially and emotionally intelligent, caring and empathic human beings. I'm not suggesting we wrap them up in cotton wool. Violence and aggression are a very real part of this world and in the context of news, media etc are valid .. for an audience who's brains are sufficiently mature and need the information to make sensible choices for their families. However, the adults I know don't watch the news each night with a bowl of popcorn and fizzy drink, slapping their thighs and cracking up each time a story shows murder, assault or other acts of extreme violence. Yet this is exactly what we're showing to our children as a comedic, laugh a minute entertainment device??? Their natural response to it is aversive (younger kids screaming), yet we adults TEACH them that this is all just good fun. I think we'd do well as a society to stop and think about that for a moment. Underneath all this horror and violence that was terrifying the younger children there were messages of family and love and relationships - great! But this message can still be built into a fantastic story without all the nastiness - or at the very least, with it drastically reduced. Disappointed in the movie, even more disappointed about this positive "best of" review on this website.
Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2013

Best movie ever ever ever etc.

Spoiler alert! It was amazing! A+++++ just like #1! It's about 2 love story's. Margo falls in love with the evil villains son. Antonio is this totally bad boy with a leather jacket, and sort of looks like he is from the musical, Greece. Antonio ends up being a jerk. Love story #2; Gru and minions r making disgusting jelly. Girl named Lucy works for the Anti-Villain League. Gru and Lucy fall in love and at end, married! Minions turn bad and so does Dr. Nefario. But then they turn good. Overall wonderful movie and SO awesome!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMee_Maw July 7, 2013

Sweet story, adorable characters, but why beat up the bad date?

The girls want a mom and encourage Gru to date. At one point, he's "fixed up." The date is overtly sexy, talks too much, is obviously designed to be seen as "bad." At one point she gets poked in the bottom by a syringe of some "knock-out stuff," and passes out. The whole process of getting her out of the restaurant is awful. Her head is caught between the doors, she gets slammed and banged into things, is driven home on top of the car - all the while looking ridiculous because she's unconscious. I guess I'm getting old, but it wasn't funny to me; it was actually disturbing. And it was an odd message to send to kids. Not even sure about the message... Women who aren't sweet and charming deserve to be treated badly? Is that possible?? Or if someone is unconscious, it's okay to throw them around and make them look silly? I'd be interested to know how other adults perceived this scene, and if their kids mentioned it. I was with my daughter and 6-yr-old grandson. Neither of them seemed bothered by it.
Parent Written byTrishBarnes August 29, 2013

What about the drugged date sequence?

In this movie, Gru goes on a date with a woman who looks and talks like a stereotypical 'valley girl' or, let's just say it, an adult-film actress. Gru's movie love interest shoots the woman with a tranquilizer dart (!) and then she and Gru take the unconscious woman home by lacing her to the top of their car, after first shoving her around. The filmmakers don't miss a chance to show the woman's rear in the air during this disturbing slapstick that makes a woman's body the 'butt' of the joke. This came just a few months after the Ohio case. It doesn't matter to me that the targeted woman was rendered unconscious by another woman. Nor that we were introduced to her as an unlikable character. It does matter to me that the laughs were calculated to come at her expense and had sexual undertones.
Parent Written bymama2review July 10, 2013

Not for young ones!

We went to see this with our 4 year old and 6 year old and had to leave when the minions turned purple. My 6 year old was so disturbed by the fact that the purple minion was trying to eat the little girl he was shaking. If this had been a regular movie with that kind of horror scene it would have been R rated. Little kids can't process that kind of violence and don't understand that it will all turn out ok in the end. My 6 year old is still having nightmares. There is A LOT of romantic innuendo in this movie that really turned us off too, both between Gru and his partner Lucy, as well as between the oldest little girl and a little boy. The childhood romance stuff was overkill and seemed really inappropriate. I realize this movie is rated PG so perhaps this content is ok for that rating, but I know some parents take the chance to take younger kids to PG movies (esp. as the original one wasn't so bad) so am sharing our experience to give them a heads up. Hope to help!
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd July 4, 2013

third favorite cgi animated movie of 2013 behind the croods and monsters university

Better than the original although there is one point in the movie were the minions turn into creepy,vicious,screaming,aggressive,killing purple minions which might scare younger kids(but don't worry they turn back into the little yellow loveable minions we all know and love)plus they get more screen time in this movie than in the original despicable me
Parent Written byCathieQ July 7, 2013

Very disappointing sequel!

Our family loved the first Despicable Me, it's one of our favorite movies and we've watched it over and over. I was really disappointed by #2. Was no-one else bothered by the fact that Gru's love interest looks anorexic? I could barely stand to look at her she was so thin. The film-makers missed a real opportunity to actually come up with a fun and atypical heroine, so she's nothing special. Margo's love interest isn't interesting either. Even the villain is stereotypical and boring -- we loved Vector in the first movie, a brilliant play on the type of person that secretly annoys everyone. Even more disappointing is that the movie drags along towards the end. There is no real plot, only vignettes. These are definitely funny, and children/parents will enjoy the laughs. Despicable Me 2 is entertaining but overall the movie isn't nearly as clever, unexpected, or memorable as the first one.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2013

Great Sequel to the 2010 hit but better than the first!

This movie was great, saw it today and the whole audience laughed, great plot, animation and role models, my MPAA Rating: G.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byenapeters July 5, 2013

Great for older kids, too intense for the little ones

My nine year old and eight year old were fine, but my five year old spent the whole movie in my lap. The minions becoming bad guys was too much for him, and I thought the part where the bunny turns into a purple monster and kills the scientist was really inappropriate for a kid's movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycaribbeandream July 8, 2013

This could have been a really good movie, but it fails in many little ways

This could have been a really good movie. It's not a horrible movie, but it fails in many little ways. First, let's start with the awful ethnic stereotypes that are El Macho and Mr. Wong. Then let's add the older daugther falling in love with a boy who isn't even old enough to drive yet is depicted as a "player." And for the cherry on top, take a whole buch of YouTube trailers made to maximize the LOL moments and then paste them together w/o any though to having a coherent plot. If you are OK with all of this, then by all means go watch DM2.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 4, 2013

looks better than the first one!

I saw the trailer for this and it looked brilliant!
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byMrsAllnut July 20, 2013

Predictable and occasionally appalling

While I liked most of this film and found it rather harmless, silly fun, there are stereotypes of Mexicans that should give pause as well as stereotypes of busy-body suburban moms that I found annoying and not integral to the story. In one scene, Gru is on a date with a woman who is a mishmash of bored housewife who spends all her time exercising; she is shot with an animal tranquilizer and while they carry her out, her head is bashed in sliding doors, she's crammed into a car, and ultimately ends up strapped to the car roof and dumped on her porch. With several high profile cases in the news of young women being drugged or drunk and having their bodies abused without their knowledge, this entire scene made me cringe and want to leave the theater. I spoke to my two girls later and they hadn't seen the point of the character and the scene, but we ended up in a long conversation about the dangers of drinking and possibly being drugged. I was quite uncomfortable with the scene. I'm ashamed of the studio for promoting that as comedy. Otherwise, the movie was passable, but nowhere near the brilliance of the original. We predicted most of the plot well before the film; little children will get a kick out of the minions but my girls (12 and 16) were bothered that Gru didn't seem to care/ notice that many of his minions went missing, which is atypical of the character. Lots of slapstick, a few fart jokes, and predictable plot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byUnicornGirl July 11, 2013

Too many minions. Lots of innuendo. Scary scenes.

This movie was ok, but not as good as the first. Why? Too. Many. Minions. I just about died after the first half hour whenever I saw one of those little yellow guys. When the producers found out everyone loved the minions, they made sure that this movie had minions in every. Single. Scene. The movie posters ALL involved minions, and the plot was slowed down by them. Ugh. This movie can be scary for little kids I guess, ESCPECIALLY with the purple minions. That even gave me the creeps. This movie also seemed to have a bunch of underlying innuendo that flew over the kids heads. Grus date, Shannon, wears a tigt strapless dress and gets shot in the butt with a knock out gun. Gru and Lucy later tell the officer she had passed out from drinking too much. I mean really? This movie is for kids! Also, in one of the many minion scenes, we see the minions partying, and one of them is pole dancing. Also, in another minion related scene, we see a minion day dreaming about marrying Lucy, and he drinks a whole bottle of wine on a date. In the begining, when Angus says , "I know what makes you a boy!" Gru asks nervous and says, "you do?" The main problems with this is WWWAAAAYYYYYY over use of minions, scary scenes, and lots of inappropriate moments.
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 July 7, 2013

No offense everyone else, but the first film was just a bit better.

Some of the material in the film might have been unsuitable for YOUNGER children.
Parent Written bySam Donder January 2, 2014

DE 2 is very cute, funny, and clever. With extremely funny minions.

This series is by far the best movie series right now that is meant for younger kids because it will be thoroughly enjoyed by both young kids, teens, and adults. There is very little inappropriate content, some romance between leading characters and scary scenes where minions get kidnapped and Lucy is a hostage of el macho. The minions in this movie are incredible funny and will provide laughs throughout. The purple minions might scare kids, so that is why this movie might be too much for little kids.Lucy is a very strong female role and there are very important messages about the importance of family. Overall this is a must see movie no matter if you have young kids or not.
Parent Written byMamaMia33 December 29, 2013

Not for age group intended

I am pretty shocked by the level of violence in this movie and am quite disappointed in myself for not going to the common sense reviews before turning it on for my 7 year old. He kept asking me "does anyone die in this movie?" And made me check the internet over his anxiousness. He also was very uncomfortable with all of the totally unnecessary romantic stuff. I mean way too much adult stuff going on this one. Not even sure what age would be right just know 7 is not.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byShannon-Smith family November 30, 2013

I am momma comma, but can't login again