All member reviews for Despicable Me 2

More minions and romance make for a sweet, silly sequel.

Teen, 16 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM March 9, 2014

It's official -- we should never encourage the making of cartoon sequels.

Stupid. Stupid humor. Stupid reactions and counter reactions from the characters. Stupid, cliche`d plot. Stupid minions; they only exist to provide a lame, failed distraction from the feeble fluff that is called the substance of the film. In one phrase, a waste of time... ... and a waste of the animators' time and sweat. The brilliancy of true humor doesn't exist in hardly any aspect of "Despicable Me 2," and there are too many examples in the film for me to pinpoint which one to give you, probably the whole kidnap scene near the beginning -- even the once-famous minions are now tiresome balls of yellow with the humor and reactivity of a seventh-grade boy (not like I hate seventh-grade boys, in many ways their better than seventh-grade girls, just their immaturity is a problem). The first movie was okay, but this just spreads mud over the whole image of the films' story and characters. Indulge yourself on "Megamind" or the satire of "Over the Hedge." Or, plant your kids in front of the Planet Earth series; much more educational. For the sake of being specific on content, I think that the sexual innuendo, however very indirect, is way too abundant to make this a good pick for young kids. Parents have also complained that the action can be a little to daunting for kids to process, so take that into the weighing of whether to see this film or not. It is worth mentioning, before closing, that I have been developing into a picky movie viewer the past few years. My tastes mainly range into critically-acclaimed action, foreign dramas, political thrillers, and other movies of similar genes; cartoons rarely fall among my list of favorites unless they intelligently satirize society or events or have an original plot structure. Or their foreign. This should explain, in part, my piercing dislike for this "movie." Everyone has a different perception of humor, so for all I know you might perceive a sneaky, hidden element in the devices that make up the mix-of-ten-wearily-retold-plot-lines story and think this movie is utter hilarity; don't take my review too seriously. After some reflection, before publishing, I feel beholden to admit that I didn't watch the entire movie. I got fed up half an hour into the mess and found an Israeli drama on Instant Play to help me bide my time. My dad later came into the office to affirm my impressions: not good. His watered-down answer is very typical of him. Note the phrase "watered down," to imply there is more, and an adjective that pretty much describes the intelligence of "Despicable Me 2."
Parent Written bySam Donder January 2, 2014

DE 2 is very cute, funny, and clever. With extremely funny minions.

This series is by far the best movie series right now that is meant for younger kids because it will be thoroughly enjoyed by both young kids, teens, and adults. There is very little inappropriate content, some romance between leading characters and scary scenes where minions get kidnapped and Lucy is a hostage of el macho. The minions in this movie are incredible funny and will provide laughs throughout. The purple minions might scare kids, so that is why this movie might be too much for little kids.Lucy is a very strong female role and there are very important messages about the importance of family. Overall this is a must see movie no matter if you have young kids or not.
Parent Written byMamaMia33 December 29, 2013

Not for age group intended

I am pretty shocked by the level of violence in this movie and am quite disappointed in myself for not going to the common sense reviews before turning it on for my 7 year old. He kept asking me "does anyone die in this movie?" And made me check the internet over his anxiousness. He also was very uncomfortable with all of the totally unnecessary romantic stuff. I mean way too much adult stuff going on this one. Not even sure what age would be right just know 7 is not.
Parent of an infant, 6, and 8 year old Written byShannon-Smith family November 30, 2013

I am momma comma, but can't login again

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymammabubbybear August 6, 2013

Too scary

My husband and I thought it was cute and funny. My 7 year old was a little bothered by the purple minions. My 5 year old was absolutely terrified. He has had weeks of nightmares and has been very clingy. If you have kids that are sensitive to scary stuff, skip this one until they are older.
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2013

Hilarious!!!!!!!

Despicable Me 2 is better than the first one and is very funny.
Educator and Parent Written bylanwenyi July 17, 2013

Too Scary for Young Kids

It was an okay movie, but not as good as the first one. However, I disagree with the description on the main page of "mild peril". The scenes of the minions changing were terrifying (read: "young children throughout the theatre were screaming at the top of their lungs and my children had nightmares"). This movie is much too scary for young children in the theatre. My children are nearly 6 and just turned 4 and both were freaked (my 4yo was one of the screamers). While my children were able to be calmed, many parents had to take their screaming children out of the theatre. This movie is more appropriate for older children, teens, and adults. There were plenty of funny bits, and sweet parts, etc, but it was far too scary for young children.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2013

Awsome movie

I saw this the day it came out and i really liked this movie. There are moment's that are really funny in this film and in the end quite a bit of action to keep people entertained. the little yellow minions at one point in the film turn into evil screaming purple monsters which might scare little kids. this was a great movie and was possibly better than the first
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy July 8, 2013

Even better than the first.

I loved the first one too, but I found this one to be even better. The Minions were hilarious as ever, I loved the "tortilla chip hat" joke, and it was so so so so so funny when Lucy was thinking about Gru, because everyone on the plane looked like Gru. I got a HUGE kick out of this movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnimeIsAwesome808 July 5, 2013

Saw it today.

When I heard that they are making a sequel to Despicable Me, I thought "Wow, this has a LOT of potential". Because I was expecting it to either be very good or to end up like most sequels. So, I saw Despicable Me 2 today with my friend, it was even BETTER than the first one. The first DM film was awesome too, but I was laughing non-stop when I saw this. The minions were so funny. I laughed so hard at them. The whole "tortilla chip hat" joke was so funny. I laughed so hard when Lucy (Gru's new love interest) was imagining that everyone on the plane was Gru. The CGI was great as well. Also, perfect acting. *claps hands*. Goodnight everyone, I hope you see this masterpiece before it's no longer in theaters. If you miss it, buy the DVD.
Teen, 16 years old Written byB-KMastah July 5, 2013

ACTUAL fun for all ages.

Loved it! Like the first one, it's funny, smart, cute, wonderfully animated, has great voice acting (Kristen Wiig was a great addition), and it's heartwarming yet completely fun for all ages. Like the first one, the 3D is very good with a nice depth of field and stuff that flies out at you, which is so refreshing. A 3D movie in actual 3D! The entire audience loved it and the minions were amazing. I can't wait for their own movie. Edit: I saw this three times in three days. 9.2/10, amazing, far above average, two thumbs up, etc.
Educator and Parent Written byJenniferLynn July 5, 2013

The best animated of all time, in my opinion!

This is one of the best movies I have EVER seen! This movie far exceeds the first film. Gru has gone from villain to anit-villain and shows his vulnerable side. So many interesting twists and turns! The end is tear-jerking and hilarious all at the same time! There is drama, mystery, and intrigue! Brilliant! Would pay to see it again and will be buying the DVD when released! It held my 9 yr old daughter's attention which is key because she is Autistic!
Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2013

Fun Sequel, Family Fun

WOOP this was such a good movie!! This movie is so funny, with clever dialogue, funny expressions, and the all-too-adorable minions!!!! This movie is *GASP* better than the original (Just by a wee bit though) Yes, the plot was extremely predictable, but the funniness and the zany characters made up for the plot. Gru is an amazing Dad (I wish my dad was that nice -_-) and Lucy Wilde is hilarious. And, the minions. I was laughing every second they were on screen! Due to watching too many clips, inside looks, featurettes, leaked trailers, etc., the movie was no surprise to me since I already knew everything! But I still enjoyed very much. Ultimately, the hype is true: WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bykcm7 July 3, 2013

Worth it!

The entire family was eagerly awaiting this release - and it didn't disappoint. While the first one edged out the sequel, this version was warm, funny, and suspenseful, albeit maybe 10 to 15 minutes too long. Gru is great and the minions really make the movie. Definitely recommend this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStemma21 July 3, 2013

Fun and family friendly

Mild silly violence and potty humor, but this is really funny. Really good sequel
Adult Written byzeekattacklee July 30, 2015

The sequel made me laugh yet again like the first..

I would say that this was the funniest film I have ever scene. Although at times it does have it's share of crude humor and cartoon violence for the sake of humor. I Personally think that this would be a perfect film for the whole family to watch..
Parent Written byGaelle Tricot July 23, 2015

BETTER THAN THE FIRST MOVIE, VERY FUNNY

I think this movie is fun for kids from 4 years old, combines fast moving "kid action" and humorous dialogues. If you are a kid, you should watch it.
Adult Written byguillaumetricot July 22, 2015

Hilarious

This movie is appropriate for all adiences and even funny for adults. Despicable Me 2 is a very entertaining sequel. You can watch this movie over and over and you won´t get bored. I was amazed of how good it was when I went to the cinema to watch it! AMAZING
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 21, 2015
Adult Written byTatem July 15, 2015

Awesome Movie

This movie is hilarious and cute . Its a must see movie. Its awesome.