All parent member reviews for Despicable Me

Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

PERFECT for all families!

My entire family loved this movie so much we went to see it twice! My wife and I are both adopted, so the themes of the movie really tore at our heart strings. Gru is the perfect example of someone who spent his life without love only to find it later in life. The minions are HILARIOUS! I strongly recommend this movie for ANYONE with or without kids. It's the best family movie I've seen in a LONG time.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byJothe July 26, 2010

Silly, But Not Scary - Caution for Parents of Adopted Children

I completely agree that if you have an adopted child, the messaging in this movie could be very concerning. And, there is a lot of violence - although very slapsticky and no one ever gets hurt. That said, the movie is genuinely funny to all ages (including parents) and there are a lot of positive messages, too. We watched this movie 2x in a theater and both times the kids around us were just in fits of giggles. It is a silly, but well done, animated movie that was not too scary and left us all gushing about our favorite parts.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written byJennTheGamerMom July 12, 2010

3d might be too much in some scenes

Loved it. Hubby and I went to see it without the kids first, thinking it might be too scary. It was hilarious, although my super-sensitive 7yo will need hand-holding in the sad-orphan parts and my 3yo will not see it until it's on our manageable tv screen at home. Gags for little kids, older kids, and adults. Very layered in terms of humor. The orphanage director is vile in a very Roald Dahl sort of way, but Gru clearly cares about his minions even early on in the movie (before he "reforms"). My 7yo will liken this to The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (the book or cartoon) in terms of plot.
Adult Written bykcbishara January 27, 2011

Crude scenes ruin an otherwise cute concept.

I wish I had known that in one scene a minion sits on the copier with his pants down and then the copy is shown to the audience. I also wish I had known that, in an otherwise uplifting dance scene at the end, Gru's dancing involves holding and shaking his rearend, and Vector's dancing involves spanking his rearend. I would not have let my children see it.
Adult Written byOrlandoMom July 10, 2010

Kids Are Big Picture People

I think the subtle messages some parents may pick up (like common sense media's view on the orphanage), are not going to be noticed by most children. Children tend to be more "big picture," and the big picture here is that everyone needs to be loved. We need love most when we deserve it the least, and that's what this movie's big message seems to be. Gru is the Grinch and the girls are Cindy-Loo Who. I love this movie and will buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD. P.S. Though it was a long time ago, my mother lived in an orphanage. So as for how the worker was portrayed, my mother can tell you she knew both nice ones and mean ones while she was there. These girls got the box of shame. My motion-sensitive mother was made to sit in a swing.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byIRO July 10, 2010

Parent of a 8 year old Written bypuchasr July 9, 2010

My rating is based on my son's (8 year old) reaction to it, and I can tell he loved it. I enjoyed too.
Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written byjohnthree16 February 25, 2011

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!

I watched this with my 9 year old bro and we loved it! Its a must see!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byloisj April 29, 2011

questionable lessons, cheap laughs

i hated this movie. i thought there was not one positive message in it. three little girls, who live in an orphanage with a cruel woman, are "adopted" way too easily by a villain. the girls are called from their bedroom and told they are being adopted, and they are just sent home with this strange man. he takes them to his house, where the girls are kind of freaked out at how scary it is, and all the while he wants to use them to get to another villain and then ditch them. of course the point is that they end up melting his heart and he wants to keep them, but the whole premise and the message that kids should go with strangers, even when the suspect these strangers have bad intentions, is a dangerous one to send. It's like romanticizing kidnapping. Aside from the problematic messages, the film is flat and goes for really cheap laughs. there are some gratuitous comic scenes when the little aliens (comic relief) have to go to a toy store and cause all kinds of mayhem. ditto for the disco scenes. They don't fit with the story, but kids will laugh at the antics (and the potty humor, of which there is plenty). The movie also contains cheap laughs for adults (nothing like the clever innuendos in Shrek or Tangled, for example). This movie relies on the daily struggles of parenting to appeal to the adults, but it doesn't apply to the story. For example, the kids whine and beg until he gives in, they manipulate him in other ways, too, and say the same things your kids will say, like "will you play with us?" and "I hope his house is made of gummy bears." furthermore, the movie uses the old adult-single-man-has-no-idea-how-to-deal-with-children trope, which can be entertaining (ex, Kindergarten Cop), but here it is shallow and predictable. all in all, a simplistic story with cheap laughs that promotes dubious understanding of how much children shoudl trust adults.
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byLarson family March 2, 2011

Parent of a 4 year old Written byAlexandrasMommy February 21, 2011

Very funny, lots of laughs and my daughter loves it.

My four year old daughter and four-and-a-half year old nephew both loved this movie and laughed alot. My daughter is very sensitive to tense or scary scenes in movies and usually asks me to fast-forward through them but she does not have any issues with this one. There is one scene near the end (when Gru and Margo fall from Vector's escape pod) that makes her sit at the edge of her seat but it doesn't last long and she doesn't ask me to turn it off or forward through it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bysarahs20 January 19, 2011

Sarahs opinion

I love it! Despicable Me, loving, funny, and just plain good. It's been some time since I have seen a good movie like this. I ordered Despicable Me in HD as a PPV. As a DISH employee I have seen so many movies and this is the best by far since Shrek. Parents will love it.
Adult Written byiParentReviewer March 17, 2011

Hilarious! A Very Funny Movie!

This movie is one of the funniest movies I've EVER seen in my life! Even though this is a kids movie I love it! This movie has some mild toilet humor however it's as good or even better then Toy Story! This movie should be rated G except for some of the action but it is very mild. This movie is a funny, clean, and witty Family Movie!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byKristaBradley July 10, 2010

Fun Movie, Lots of Laughs

I thought this movie was great. It was funny and provided a lot of the silly humor (fart jokes, etc) that kids think is funny. The story line is loosely educational, but more humorous than anything. My son is 4 and this was his first 3D movie experience. He laughed the entire time and really enjoyed it. It's all he's been talking about since we saw it. The 3D was really well done in this movie. I read the reviews from the site and hadn't thought that the adoption part might be hard for families in that situation. Thinking back on it, I could definitely see how some would be put off by this scene. I think the outcome of the movie does have a good message in that Gru learns that being a bad guy is not as fulfilling as having a family that loves him and is proud of him.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymyboys48 March 12, 2011

Not for under 8 years

Cute movie, but not appropriate for under 8 years. The themes are too old and include behavior and words that the younger children shouldn't be exposed to or repeat.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byRadDadRich July 29, 2010

Goofy? Yup. Silly? Check. Heart? Absolutely!

This movie really surprised me. I expected just a silly movie that the kids would enjoy, but me, not so much. But the movie is great from start to finish. It's got all of the goofy gags that has the kids repeating them for days, but it also has a heart, and a great message that I hope sticks with them long after the quotes wear off.
Adult Written byBurton21 April 15, 2011

Definitely not for little ones

This movie has strong violent imagery including a girl getting suggestively impaled by spikes and what looks like blood oozing out. The opening scene shows a boy falling a long distance as onlookers watch in horror. He just happens to land safely. That is the problem with this movie for younger viewers. Yes, it all turns out okay, but for those few moments children are manipulated into thinking the girl has been killed, or that the boy will fall and hit the stone below and be harmed.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byOdie-OO July 28, 2010

two thumbs up

i love this it was so fun my children love to
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bykmillsma April 17, 2011

very funny!

very funny for adults and still appropriate for kids, actually has a few plot twists and isn't just the same old plot line
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCzigany February 4, 2011

Cute and funny movie - you'll laugh, and cry at the end too!

We loved this movie. It's funny, and has a great message at the end. My kids LOVED it.