All parent member reviews for Despicable Me

Adult Written bymoviemadness September 7, 2010

Funny Quirky Family Movie with Heart

Despicable Me was a really funny really sweet family movie. It brims with positive messages about love, family, and strong young women. There is some light, comedic slapstick violence and a little potty humor, but altogether it's almost a non-issue. Great family fun!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byannabellethecat July 30, 2010

A Sweet, Original Cartoon

This is a sweet, funny and original cartoon. Although the girls' adoption is depicted in a silly, ridiculous way, the movie's ultimate message is very postitive and loving.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byJaybanator July 28, 2010

Perfect for ages 6-10 and a fun light movie

I was pleasantly surprised by this light hearted and fun movie. My girls, ages 6, 8 & 10 all enjoyed this and I was happy at it's overall positive message.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

PERFECT for all families!

My entire family loved this movie so much we went to see it twice! My wife and I are both adopted, so the themes of the movie really tore at our heart strings. Gru is the perfect example of someone who spent his life without love only to find it later in life. The minions are HILARIOUS! I strongly recommend this movie for ANYONE with or without kids. It's the best family movie I've seen in a LONG time.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypoeoates July 19, 2010

Loved this movie. I'm pretty picky about messages in movies, snotty kids, double entendres for adult amusement, and disrespect for adults. This movie was wonderful! There was nothing in it I object to. The only other movies in that category would be the Pixar movies. Sweet plot, nice kids, difinitive good and bad characters, good moral lesson and laugh out loud moments. I'd buy this movie for me even if I didn't have kids.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaea309 July 14, 2010

Very pleasantly surprised!

This movie was not on my summer list. Plus any movie that promotes the way this did with those minions endlessly across the bottom of the screen for the past month on TV, can't be good. BUT - it was! I found myself laughing out loud in many parts, and I haven't done that in a while. My 9.5 year old son and his friend cracked up all over the place! And it was nice not to have all those innuendos and inappropriate actions plague the movie. I detest that stuff. It did drag a little in places but I would say one of the better movies for the summer! We saw it in 3D but I don't think you need it to enjoy it - so save your money and see it in 2D.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 23, 2015

Great family film..

I Love this movie a lot.. Although the film does have a little bit of rude humor and a little bit of cartoon violence. otherwise, This film is a laugh out loud film that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAmelia Anzalone May 19, 2014

YASSSSSSSS

pretty good
Parent Written byIzzymama January 22, 2014

Not good for adoptive families!!!

This otherwise good movie should come with a huge warning label for adoptive families - in the first half-hour, there is a disturbing exchange where the three girls have an extensive exchange with the orphanage director along the lines of "will someone adopt me? did anyone come to adopt me?" and "No one will ever adopt you!" etc. Huge kudos to CSM for flagging this which is the only reason my husband and I previewed this before watching with our 5-year old adopted son. We could barely stomach it ourselves - it's supremely insensitive - and unfortunate. Despicable Me 2, by contrast, which we've all seen together and enjoyed, is just fine.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAnita C October 20, 2013

One to watch together

Enjoyed this with my 3and a half yo and my 5 and a half yo. Good to watch with thm and discuss the characters and story
Parent Written byConnnie July 27, 2013

Best Movie of all time!!!

I watched this movie a couple weeks ago with my kids and it is awesome!! There are a few scenes of blowing up, guns and other shooting things that may be scary to kids depending on their level of what is scary and what is not but all in all it is a great movie to watch as a family!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder July 3, 2013

hack

Wonderful Movie! It teaches a good lesson about loving your family. Some Language (Butt, Poop) but this game is great. I recommend it for ages 7 & up.
Parent Written bypjckmen March 6, 2013

hihi

Thank you for some of the most interesting content on this topic. Your raise valid points of interest that I find match my own thoughts on the subject. Great article. Friv | kizi
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren April 27, 2012

Wonderfully funny movie with cartoon like violence.

This film is a great look at how you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The orphans find a new home in the most unlikeliests of places and the evil character turns out to be not so bad. This is one of our family favorites. It is hilariously funny and yet serious at times as well. The violence is cartoonish and no one is ever seriously hurt. The language isn't always the best, but my six year old pick up on other funnier lines rather than the potty humor.
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

d.m

despicable movie wil be a film for the whole family.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts December 24, 2011

Appropriate for all ages.

My kids and I loved this movie! I was kind of Surprised how Miranda Cosgrove was in this movie but my kids and I love her and her music and shows. She did good acting. This movie has a good message. Minions were hilarious. It's appropriate cause in this movie they go "Oh Poop" instead of "Oh Crap" or "Oh S--t" which they mostly say in other PG movies like Shrek or Apollo 13. Don't think about hating this movie or deciding this is not for anybody. IT'S TOO AWESOME TO HATE!!!! YEAH!!!! GO DESPICABLE ME!!!!!!
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykperk October 6, 2011

old-school violence, entertaining for parents

The violence in this movie reminds me of the cartoons from my childhood (think Wile. E. Coyote). The villains and their technology in this movie are 70s spy-movie style, there is even a shark swimming around in a floor tank in one of the villain character's fortresses. When the characters get shot at or blown up they come up from a hole disoriented and charred, but no one is ever shown to be injured. My 7 year-old got it, but many times we had to discuss with our 3 year-old how this is pretend, and in real life guns are dangerous, etc. The presentation of the old-school orphanage and its mistress, in the style of Annie, also required lots and lots of discussion with my children, especially the 3 year-old. My older daughter seemed to see it much like a fairy-tale, and realize that in the "world" and time in which she lives, this is not how children are treated/adopted, etc. But my three year-old daughter said, "you're a nice mommy, but that mommy is mean" of the orphanage director. Gru's inepetness as a child caretaker is so over-the-top (i.e. - putting bowls of food and water on the floor, and newspapers for poop and pee, like one would with a puppy) that most kids above 5 years would get that it is a joke/not realistic. But we had to discuss with my almost four year-old that it is pretend, and in real life children are taken care of. Gru is an extremely likeable character, even while he was still evil. The placement of this comic-book style villain in our modern society is also humorous, such as when he drives his rocket-style tanker vehicle down the freeway or tries to explain who his army of non-human minion creatures are. All of the actors are great in their parts and the actors, dialogue and music made the movie hold my husband's and my interest, even after multiple viewings. The happy fairy-tale ending in which the evil villian turns nice once he experiences the love of a child, and with no explanation become the adoptive father of the girls once again, made my children grin from ear to ear. They clap and jump up and down shouting, "hooray" when the movie ends. Be prepared for your kids to walk around saying, "oh, poop" as an expression.
Parent Written bybigmacattack9 July 16, 2011

Despicable Me

I took my kids to see this movie they were laughing at every joke. This movie has absolutely no bad things in it and kids of all ages and for adults too. The minions and the "dog" were HILARIOUS. If you're worried about your kids seeing it it's fine! Don't know what people were thinking
Parent Written bySusan Marlowe CPA July 11, 2011

Gru for Moms, Minions for Tots

I like movies that I can enjoy as a grownup while the kids are giggling away at the humor aimed at them. What I really enjoy about this movie is that the story is different from the usual animated fare. Kids go NUTS for the minions, they just love those little guys. All in all, a painless movie experience for the adults and a fun time for the kids.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymother4God April 21, 2011

I think 6 year olds and up would enjoy this movie

This has become one of my 8 year olds favorite movies. Although she thought it was a little scary and was unsure in the beginning, she quickly found it funny and cheared the charecters on. We watched it over several times. It's a worthwhile movie to own and rewatch. A feel good movie all around....and the minions are wonderfully funny!