All parent member reviews for Despicable Me

Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

One of the best 2010 movies

Loved it. Better then Toy Story 3. Great for the whole family. Maybe a bit scary for younger viewers.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Cute family movie for kids and their parents. : )

Thought it was a very sweet movie about how "love" can make even the most evil villain good. One disturbing part was how abusive the portrayed the orphanage manger as. (She would lock kids in a box if they disobeyed her.)
Adult Written bymoviemadness September 7, 2010

Funny Quirky Family Movie with Heart

Despicable Me was a really funny really sweet family movie. It brims with positive messages about love, family, and strong young women. There is some light, comedic slapstick violence and a little potty humor, but altogether it's almost a non-issue. Great family fun!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byannabellethecat July 30, 2010

A Sweet, Original Cartoon

This is a sweet, funny and original cartoon. Although the girls' adoption is depicted in a silly, ridiculous way, the movie's ultimate message is very postitive and loving.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byJaybanator July 28, 2010

Perfect for ages 6-10 and a fun light movie

I was pleasantly surprised by this light hearted and fun movie. My girls, ages 6, 8 & 10 all enjoyed this and I was happy at it's overall positive message.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypoeoates July 19, 2010
Loved this movie. I'm pretty picky about messages in movies, snotty kids, double entendres for adult amusement, and disrespect for adults. This movie was wonderful! There was nothing in it I object to. The only other movies in that category would be the Pixar movies. Sweet plot, nice kids, difinitive good and bad characters, good moral lesson and laugh out loud moments. I'd buy this movie for me even if I didn't have kids.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byaea309 July 14, 2010

Very pleasantly surprised!

This movie was not on my summer list. Plus any movie that promotes the way this did with those minions endlessly across the bottom of the screen for the past month on TV, can't be good. BUT - it was! I found myself laughing out loud in many parts, and I haven't done that in a while. My 9.5 year old son and his friend cracked up all over the place! And it was nice not to have all those innuendos and inappropriate actions plague the movie. I detest that stuff. It did drag a little in places but I would say one of the better movies for the summer! We saw it in 3D but I don't think you need it to enjoy it - so save your money and see it in 2D.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byLonghornmom July 11, 2010

great family movie; 6 + is right on for most

Kids from 4 - 11 and 4 adults really enjoyed it. The 4 year old was my nephew. he was a bit young but did okay. Probably best for 6 +, as recommended but you know how your own kids do in movies as it does have a few slightly scary parts and the negative scenes with the orphanage. We all really enjoyed it but I will say I cringed a few times with how they presented the kids in the orphanage. That being said, those moments are very short and a very small part of the movie so I don't think most kids focused on that. But again, you know your kids. The message is good.
Adult Written byShizzNizzle July 10, 2010

Amazing

I thought this movie was fantastic!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMommyof22016 February 20, 2016

Very good movie

It was a very good movie the only problem I seen was, I thought that the juice part was a little bit too dark for children. But over all wonderful and funny
Adult Written byJren October 19, 2015

The fun will never stop

Really funny, great for kids, shows love and a struggle of balance in the life of Gru
Adult Written byTatem July 15, 2015

Not as good as despicable me 2

This is funny but not as funny
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 23, 2015

Great family film..

I Love this movie a lot.. Although the film does have a little bit of rude humor and a little bit of cartoon violence. otherwise, This film is a laugh out loud film that everyone in the family will enjoy.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAmelia Anzalone May 19, 2014

YASSSSSSSS

pretty good
Parent Written byIzzymama January 22, 2014

Not good for adoptive families!!!

This otherwise good movie should come with a huge warning label for adoptive families - in the first half-hour, there is a disturbing exchange where the three girls have an extensive exchange with the orphanage director along the lines of "will someone adopt me? did anyone come to adopt me?" and "No one will ever adopt you!" etc. Huge kudos to CSM for flagging this which is the only reason my husband and I previewed this before watching with our 5-year old adopted son. We could barely stomach it ourselves - it's supremely insensitive - and unfortunate. Despicable Me 2, by contrast, which we've all seen together and enjoyed, is just fine.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAnita C October 20, 2013

One to watch together

Enjoyed this with my 3and a half yo and my 5 and a half yo. Good to watch with thm and discuss the characters and story
Parent Written byConnnie July 27, 2013

Best Movie of all time!!!

I watched this movie a couple weeks ago with my kids and it is awesome!! There are a few scenes of blowing up, guns and other shooting things that may be scary to kids depending on their level of what is scary and what is not but all in all it is a great movie to watch as a family!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 15 year old Written byHelen Bonder July 3, 2013

hack

Wonderful Movie! It teaches a good lesson about loving your family. Some Language (Butt, Poop) but this game is great. I recommend it for ages 7 & up.
Parent Written bypjckmen March 6, 2013

hihi

Thank you for some of the most interesting content on this topic. Your raise valid points of interest that I find match my own thoughts on the subject. Great article. Friv | kizi
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren April 27, 2012

Wonderfully funny movie with cartoon like violence.

This film is a great look at how you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The orphans find a new home in the most unlikeliests of places and the evil character turns out to be not so bad. This is one of our family favorites. It is hilariously funny and yet serious at times as well. The violence is cartoonish and no one is ever seriously hurt. The language isn't always the best, but my six year old pick up on other funnier lines rather than the potty humor.