All parent member reviews for Despicable Me

Parent of a 8 year old Written bymother4God April 21, 2011

I think 6 year olds and up would enjoy this movie

This has become one of my 8 year olds favorite movies. Although she thought it was a little scary and was unsure in the beginning, she quickly found it funny and cheared the charecters on. We watched it over several times. It's a worthwhile movie to own and rewatch. A feel good movie all around....and the minions are wonderfully funny!
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bykmillsma April 17, 2011

very funny!

very funny for adults and still appropriate for kids, actually has a few plot twists and isn't just the same old plot line
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byMeli B. April 7, 2011

This one is for older kids, but little ones will enjoy it too!

This movie is a lot of fun. I like that the villian is lured away from the dark side, not by a beautiful woman, but by three innocent little girls! It's a sweet story. My concern was the box of shame, that I had to explain to the boys, and some of the language. Also, there are times when the girls aren't doing what they're told and my boys picked up on it, that when they don't listen they don't get in trouble. I didn't like that! It's a sure conversation starter.
Adult Written byiParentReviewer March 17, 2011

Hilarious! A Very Funny Movie!

This movie is one of the funniest movies I've EVER seen in my life! Even though this is a kids movie I love it! This movie has some mild toilet humor however it's as good or even better then Toy Story! This movie should be rated G except for some of the action but it is very mild. This movie is a funny, clean, and witty Family Movie!
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymyboys48 March 12, 2011

Not for under 8 years

Cute movie, but not appropriate for under 8 years. The themes are too old and include behavior and words that the younger children shouldn't be exposed to or repeat.
Parent Written byParent of Three March 7, 2011

A great Feel Good Movie even for skeptics !

Very different family movie...watched it after another family told us why it was so endearing to them. Lots of slapstick humor but not to the point of overdoing it. Just the right balance of fun and sentiment in all the most unexpected places. May need to discuss the orphanage / Girls home scenes in context of this is not the norm, and actually a better movie for this topic of adoption is a good thing would be Meet The Robinson's.
Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byLarson family March 2, 2011

Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written byjohnthree16 February 25, 2011

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!

I watched this with my 9 year old bro and we loved it! Its a must see!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAlexandrasMommy February 21, 2011

Very funny, lots of laughs and my daughter loves it.

My four year old daughter and four-and-a-half year old nephew both loved this movie and laughed alot. My daughter is very sensitive to tense or scary scenes in movies and usually asks me to fast-forward through them but she does not have any issues with this one. There is one scene near the end (when Gru and Margo fall from Vector's escape pod) that makes her sit at the edge of her seat but it doesn't last long and she doesn't ask me to turn it off or forward through it.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCzigany February 4, 2011

Cute and funny movie - you'll laugh, and cry at the end too!

We loved this movie. It's funny, and has a great message at the end. My kids LOVED it.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDorisPM February 4, 2011

Good Movie enjoyed by whole family

Our son is old enough to know that "stupid" is not a word our family uses. He questioned what they were doing when they were Xeroxing their bottoms so we chalked it up to being silly...since he didn't know what a xerox machine was. Other than that, easy to follow along, easy to understand and explain as we went along and a lot to laugh about.
Adult Written bykcbishara January 27, 2011

Crude scenes ruin an otherwise cute concept.

I wish I had known that in one scene a minion sits on the copier with his pants down and then the copy is shown to the audience. I also wish I had known that, in an otherwise uplifting dance scene at the end, Gru's dancing involves holding and shaking his rearend, and Vector's dancing involves spanking his rearend. I would not have let my children see it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bysarahs20 January 19, 2011

Sarahs opinion

I love it! Despicable Me, loving, funny, and just plain good. It's been some time since I have seen a good movie like this. I ordered Despicable Me in HD as a PPV. As a DISH employee I have seen so many movies and this is the best by far since Shrek. Parents will love it.
Parent of a 3, 6, 9, and 13 year old Written bymom2mykiddos January 13, 2011

Suprisingly decent family movie!

Our entire family enjoyed it, even if it's not an all-time favorite! Fun and fast paced with plenty of laughs.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

We love this movie. Everyone in my house loves it. It's so cute, and even though the main character is "evil", it's very laughable, and he turns out to be good in the end. Even the "violent" parts are just kidding around (i.e. road runner). A must see.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydavidl73 December 27, 2010

Perfect Family Fun!

What an adorable movie. Funny, heart warming.. just great fun. Evil Gru with a love of being evil develops a heart...kind of reinded me of the Grinch that stole Christmas.. The minions are hilarious... the littlest girl cracked us up. " It's so fluffy! " just great family fun throughout. Take any of your kids and they will enjoy this gem!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byAppleNell December 23, 2010

"Just Because I'm a BAD Guy, Doesn't Mean I'm a Bad GUY."

The title of this review is from a YouTube clip of Steve Carrell talking about voicing Gru, and it really encapsulates what's delicious and a compelling about this movie. We enjoy Gru's villany, even as his eventual reformation is inherent in the kindness he shows his hysterically diverting minions. This is one of those amazingly deft movies (never mind children's movies) that manages to be screamingly funny, while actually doing some real story-telling work. Without bludgeoning its audience, "Despicable Me" shows us why Gru (and his arch-nemesis Vector) are the people they are, and actually makes us care about its characters, not just as objects of entertainment, but as stand ins for our own longings, hurts, and eternally unanswered cries that we be given a freeze ray gun so that we too can go to the head of the Starbucks line. The movie features OUTSTANDING and very, very amusing use of 3D. Do not miss the closing titles. The animation is consistently excellent, and rich with details that bear multiple watchings. Both kids loved it. I still say "Light bulb" when I have an idea. See this. It's great.
Parent Written byDarcy16 December 18, 2010

Great family movie

Parent Written byewe2lambs December 12, 2010

good fun family film!!

Although the kids are rejected at the beginning it shows that people can change and find happiness, our kids of 5 and 8 really enjoyed it.
Adult Written byTio George November 20, 2010

no problem any age

I did not have a problem with movie. The bad guy, turns out to really love kids and has a bad reputation that is not deserved.