All parent member reviews for Despicable Me

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byAppleNell December 23, 2010

"Just Because I'm a BAD Guy, Doesn't Mean I'm a Bad GUY."

The title of this review is from a YouTube clip of Steve Carrell talking about voicing Gru, and it really encapsulates what's delicious and a compelling about this movie. We enjoy Gru's villany, even as his eventual reformation is inherent in the kindness he shows his hysterically diverting minions. This is one of those amazingly deft movies (never mind children's movies) that manages to be screamingly funny, while actually doing some real story-telling work. Without bludgeoning its audience, "Despicable Me" shows us why Gru (and his arch-nemesis Vector) are the people they are, and actually makes us care about its characters, not just as objects of entertainment, but as stand ins for our own longings, hurts, and eternally unanswered cries that we be given a freeze ray gun so that we too can go to the head of the Starbucks line. The movie features OUTSTANDING and very, very amusing use of 3D. Do not miss the closing titles. The animation is consistently excellent, and rich with details that bear multiple watchings. Both kids loved it. I still say "Light bulb" when I have an idea. See this. It's great.
Parent Written byDarcy16 December 18, 2010

Great family movie

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byMOMOJ September 23, 2010

My 9 year old enjoyed the humour

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written by3guysandagal September 11, 2010

Although I"m ok with this movie I could've done without the "f-a-r-t" word.....didn't see that one coming. It was said so fast that I don't think my two boys heard it, but I did and was quite shocked. Overall my two enjoyed it, but wish that one word had been left out altogether....no need for it at all.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byogerana August 10, 2010

ITS FUNNY 100000000000000000000000000000000000000/10

FUNNY
Parent of a 3, 5, and 7 year old Written bylorieno August 9, 2010

Parent of a 7, 9, and 14 year old Written byThedoples August 7, 2010

Good Stuff!

All my kids loved this movie and have been begging me to take them to see it again and already asking for it for Christmas. I also enjoyed it a lot! Probably one of the best movies we have seen this summer.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byGirlMonday July 23, 2010

We couldn't wait to see this one, it had been advertised for so long in advance. For an animated film, it dragged, which I wasn't expecting. The ending redeemed itself, but felt like you had to endure a lot of slow moving sequences to get there.
Parent of a 3, 9, and 13 year old Written bytbarnes July 23, 2010

take the big kids but leave the little ones at home

My older two liked it but my 3 year old had a hard time sitting through some of the slow spots. Overall I thought the movie was better than the previews.
Adult Written byLeshley July 15, 2010

Everyone in my family found it funny.

I loved it. It was a hilarious movie, made even better by 3D. Children, teens, and adults found it funny. The one thing that may not be entirely good is the role models. The main character, Gru, is good and bad at the same time, so it may teach children that being bad is okay.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byjohannab July 11, 2010

Great movie for all ages

Great for the family. We went with our 14 year old and saw a couple that are friends of ours in the theater and they have no children under the age of 25. The theater was filled with people of all ages and the movie was very funny. Loved it!
Parent of a 6, 10, and 13 year old Written byJCP1 July 11, 2010

Very good family movie.

We all loved it.
Parent Written byFrankinf March 25, 2012

Watch it as a family Funny as F**k

Hard for young kids to understand
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

We love this movie. Everyone in my house loves it. It's so cute, and even though the main character is "evil", it's very laughable, and he turns out to be good in the end. Even the "violent" parts are just kidding around (i.e. road runner). A must see.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMr. K November 10, 2010

The lovability of Steve Carrels character, his adopted daughter, and his dozens of minions was enough to supplement the horrible plot of any movie. Luckily despicable me had a creative plot that was also touching.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bypotatoheads October 1, 2010

Fun for all ages!

We loved this movie. I had really low expectations, it didn't look great, but we gave it a try. I was surprised! It kept even my 3 yr olds attention, in fact she laughed louder than anyone in the theater! My 5 yr old daughter and 14 yr old son loved it as well! I also loved it and thought it was really funny!
Adult Written bymoviemadness September 7, 2010

Funny Quirky Family Movie with Heart

Despicable Me was a really funny really sweet family movie. It brims with positive messages about love, family, and strong young women. There is some light, comedic slapstick violence and a little potty humor, but altogether it's almost a non-issue. Great family fun!
Parent of a 2 and 14 year old Written bymybluepizz July 30, 2010

Anyone can watch it

Awesome
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bycyndifug8 July 30, 2010

Film with a heartwarming message.

Our entire family loved it!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byannabellethecat July 30, 2010

A Sweet, Original Cartoon

This is a sweet, funny and original cartoon. Although the girls' adoption is depicted in a silly, ridiculous way, the movie's ultimate message is very postitive and loving.