All member reviews for Despicable Me

Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2010

Great movie and it teaches evil people can be good to. Only scene of concern is the juice box scene ( where it looks like a little girls is crushed by spikes, because he crushed juice box looks like blood.)
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2010

OK for kids that are'nt orphans, or are and don't care what the depict them as.

It's OK, though the orphanage line was pretty awkward.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2015

5 and under

5's and under will enjoy this. And above 5's will also enjoy it. But not as much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWebkinzEvelyn May 13, 2014

Cute and funny

It was really cute and funny. It is school appropriate due to me watching it in middle school. It is rated PG. But I don't know if I can approve of that I call it a pretty tame and cute film. It's funny. One of the best films I have ever seen! Yes it is very popular and I can agree with that because this film deserves a better rating than most people give it credit for. Idk the only major thing I don't like about this movie is Vector! OMG I hate this character he is terrible! Oh well that's the only complaint I have for this film is the Vector. Aside from that I don't find anything wrong with this film! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 31, 2013

Brilliant!

When I saw the trailers for this in 2010, I thought I wouldn't like it. However, that changed when I actually saw the movie. It was great! It's about an evil mastermind named Gru, who adopts three little girls. He doesn't care for them, but that soon changes. It was a positive film and had a lesson teached at the end. There is some mild potty humor but kids will get a giggle out of it. The CGI for Despicable Me was great! Although it may not have been Pixar or anything, it's still great. Overall, Despicable Me is an excellent movie for everyone and I hope the sequel will be good!
Parent Written byaskyourmother January 28, 2013

Dark, cruel and scary!

The dark and cruel depiction of orphans, adoption, and villians was too, too much for our daughter (who is adopted). She said the movie would give her nightmares and asked to turn it off .... Just before I reached the point of turning it off myself. This is not an appropriate movie for any family with adopted kids, particularly kids who were adopted at older ages. It's hard to imagine how some of these themes are created and packaged as "family" or "kid" movies. Boggles the mind. The first day into the adopted home, one girl is apparently "killed" by being squeezed in an ancient torture device ... yes, really. But then she is magically ok. Not cute for youngsters. Pretty graphic with "blood" running out onto the floor ... although it later turned out to be grape juice. My advice, "Just say no" to despicable me.
Teen, 16 years old Written byndrwcd November 17, 2012

gotta love those minions

the only element of concern is the one scene where the minions are printing another minion`s butt but even then it`s not graphic it only last for 23 seconds and it`s yellow minions for crying out loud not humans
Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2011

Awesome Movie!!

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

There may be a few scary parts, but no one is hurt badly. Some parts are really funny, but some parts are upsetting (display of guns, rockets launched at Gru, etc.). I really liked watching it and definitely recommend it.
Kid, 8 years old July 19, 2011

AWWWWWsome

Despicable me is a good story of a villain
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2011

A little bit on the younger side but its ok

we watched this movie on a bus ride to plymouth and i got a little bored but i watched some of it
Parent of a 10 year old Written byRefLibMom February 13, 2011

Funny but with thoughtful message

I loved it; very creative and very funny in a quirky way. The characters were well-developed, often over-the-top, and in general maintained their natures throughout the movie. It's the "despicable"main character who changes slowly over the course of the movie, and finally overcomes his miserable childhood to return to his "real" self. I was mostly troubled by the horrible, horrible orphanage, the cruelty of the matron (?), and the kids' uncertainty about ever being adopted. It made ME feel anxious and abandoned and trapped (and I had a very happy childhood and supportive family). For younger children or those in foster care or unhappy family situations, it may be just too much, even though the extended feel-good ending tries to balance it.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

One of the best 2010 movies

Loved it. Better then Toy Story 3. Great for the whole family. Maybe a bit scary for younger viewers.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Cute family movie for kids and their parents. : )

Thought it was a very sweet movie about how "love" can make even the most evil villain good. One disturbing part was how abusive the portrayed the orphanage manger as. (She would lock kids in a box if they disobeyed her.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 8, 2010

My new favorite!

I didn't think I'd like this movie, and I didn't. I loved it! Gru is a believable character, and the girls are awesome. (Cynical Margo, nightmare fetishist Edith, and adorable Agnes.) This movie is clever, heartwarming (but not in a sickening tastes-like-diabetics way) and laugh-out-loud hilarious. I added the "scary" warning because of Miss Hattie, the runner of the orphanage. She's cruel, heartless,runs a cookie mafia from her orphanage, and makes kids go in the "box of shame." She's evil, irredeemable, and worst of all, she gets away with it all. However, this movie rocks anyway.
Adult Written bymoviemadness September 7, 2010

Funny Quirky Family Movie with Heart

Despicable Me was a really funny really sweet family movie. It brims with positive messages about love, family, and strong young women. There is some light, comedic slapstick violence and a little potty humor, but altogether it's almost a non-issue. Great family fun!
Kid, 11 years old August 19, 2010

Perfect for little kids, a little boring for older kids.

There aren't any real problems with this movie, it just was a little boring and not really all that funny. Fine for really young kids, just not incredibly entertaining.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byannabellethecat July 30, 2010

A Sweet, Original Cartoon

This is a sweet, funny and original cartoon. Although the girls' adoption is depicted in a silly, ridiculous way, the movie's ultimate message is very postitive and loving.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byJaybanator July 28, 2010

Perfect for ages 6-10 and a fun light movie

I was pleasantly surprised by this light hearted and fun movie. My girls, ages 6, 8 & 10 all enjoyed this and I was happy at it's overall positive message.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

PERFECT for all families!

My entire family loved this movie so much we went to see it twice! My wife and I are both adopted, so the themes of the movie really tore at our heart strings. Gru is the perfect example of someone who spent his life without love only to find it later in life. The minions are HILARIOUS! I strongly recommend this movie for ANYONE with or without kids. It's the best family movie I've seen in a LONG time.