Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Kid, 12 years old December 27, 2011

Awesome Movie!!

Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2011

Entertaining Black Comedy Sends Relevant Messages

No concerns in terms of appropriate contents. Nothing that would really be offensive to a seven-year-old or his parents (I am 12). Very, very, funny (mostly a black comedy, my favorite brand of comedy), but the humor is also not too dark at the same time. INFINITELY entertaining. It is probably almost impossible to fall asleep watching this. May be a kids' film, but like "Toy Story" and "The Lion King", adults will be dragged through it but also pleasantly surprised throughout the movie because it's appealing to an entire family.
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2010
Great movie and it teaches evil people can be good to. Only scene of concern is the juice box scene ( where it looks like a little girls is crushed by spikes, because he crushed juice box looks like blood.)
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2010

OK for kids that are'nt orphans, or are and don't care what the depict them as.

It's OK, though the orphanage line was pretty awkward.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2015

5 and under

5's and under will enjoy this. And above 5's will also enjoy it. But not as much.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWebkinzEvelyn May 13, 2014

Cute and funny

It was really cute and funny. It is school appropriate due to me watching it in middle school. It is rated PG. But I don't know if I can approve of that I call it a pretty tame and cute film. It's funny. One of the best films I have ever seen! Yes it is very popular and I can agree with that because this film deserves a better rating than most people give it credit for. Idk the only major thing I don't like about this movie is Vector! OMG I hate this character he is terrible! Oh well that's the only complaint I have for this film is the Vector. Aside from that I don't find anything wrong with this film! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 31, 2013

Brilliant!

When I saw the trailers for this in 2010, I thought I wouldn't like it. However, that changed when I actually saw the movie. It was great! It's about an evil mastermind named Gru, who adopts three little girls. He doesn't care for them, but that soon changes. It was a positive film and had a lesson teached at the end. There is some mild potty humor but kids will get a giggle out of it. The CGI for Despicable Me was great! Although it may not have been Pixar or anything, it's still great. Overall, Despicable Me is an excellent movie for everyone and I hope the sequel will be good!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

There may be a few scary parts, but no one is hurt badly. Some parts are really funny, but some parts are upsetting (display of guns, rockets launched at Gru, etc.). I really liked watching it and definitely recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2011

A little bit on the younger side but its ok

we watched this movie on a bus ride to plymouth and i got a little bored but i watched some of it
Parent of a 4 year old Written byGoopee January 13, 2011

One of the best 2010 movies

Loved it. Better then Toy Story 3. Great for the whole family. Maybe a bit scary for younger viewers.
Adult Written bysarahkay89 November 17, 2010

Cute family movie for kids and their parents. : )

Thought it was a very sweet movie about how "love" can make even the most evil villain good. One disturbing part was how abusive the portrayed the orphanage manger as. (She would lock kids in a box if they disobeyed her.)
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 8, 2010

My new favorite!

I didn't think I'd like this movie, and I didn't. I loved it! Gru is a believable character, and the girls are awesome. (Cynical Margo, nightmare fetishist Edith, and adorable Agnes.) This movie is clever, heartwarming (but not in a sickening tastes-like-diabetics way) and laugh-out-loud hilarious. I added the "scary" warning because of Miss Hattie, the runner of the orphanage. She's cruel, heartless,runs a cookie mafia from her orphanage, and makes kids go in the "box of shame." She's evil, irredeemable, and worst of all, she gets away with it all. However, this movie rocks anyway.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolakitty12 October 7, 2010

A little immature with language but good for young kids.

This was a very cute movie. There are some things in it you don't want your kids to go around saying but it has good messages about family and even the most "evil" person has some good qualities.
Adult Written bymoviemadness September 7, 2010

Funny Quirky Family Movie with Heart

Despicable Me was a really funny really sweet family movie. It brims with positive messages about love, family, and strong young women. There is some light, comedic slapstick violence and a little potty humor, but altogether it's almost a non-issue. Great family fun!
Kid, 11 years old August 1, 2010

Great kids film and super hilairious

This is a great kids film. Defenitly a must see with the fam on a friday evening. The only thing you should know is that he "returns" the orphans but doesn't mean to. He ends having a heart of gold. This is also super uber hilairious.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byannabellethecat July 30, 2010

A Sweet, Original Cartoon

This is a sweet, funny and original cartoon. Although the girls' adoption is depicted in a silly, ridiculous way, the movie's ultimate message is very postitive and loving.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 10 year old Written byJaybanator July 28, 2010

Perfect for ages 6-10 and a fun light movie

I was pleasantly surprised by this light hearted and fun movie. My girls, ages 6, 8 & 10 all enjoyed this and I was happy at it's overall positive message.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAbiMe July 21, 2010

Its ok...

It was meant to be funny but they gave it all away in commercials. It was a good topic and kids around 6-10 will probably enjoy it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bypoeoates July 19, 2010
Loved this movie. I'm pretty picky about messages in movies, snotty kids, double entendres for adult amusement, and disrespect for adults. This movie was wonderful! There was nothing in it I object to. The only other movies in that category would be the Pixar movies. Sweet plot, nice kids, difinitive good and bad characters, good moral lesson and laugh out loud moments. I'd buy this movie for me even if I didn't have kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byskira1230 July 18, 2010
This is a fun enjoyable movie but some parts children might not understand. There are also complete role models who show positive stands which will encourage children.