All member reviews for Despicable Me

Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Written byAnonymous September 14, 2014

Silly premised humor in sweet movie about fatherhood and aliens

My rating:PG for rude humor and mild action
Kid, 9 years old August 13, 2014

good movie

good movie but some weapon some scenes maybe a bit scary
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck August 8, 2014

Great animated film.

Tons of humor and some action. The story is mediocre but the minions are awesome! The animation is average. The voice acting is very good. It has some positive messages like don't be a jerk. It has some sad moments but a happy ending. Overall, it's mostly funny and the minions are the best part.
Kid, 12 years old July 23, 2014

Funny and different ( in a good way)

This film is appropriate for the whole family (especially kids) me and my dad watched it and we both found it hilarious! We all liked the minions that have taken over everthing at the moment. There is no language and a brilliant film!! WATCH IT!!
Kid, 9 years old July 15, 2014

Gru is a great role model , he is the world's second biggest thief and still raises 3 little girls ! The only violence in the movie is like freeze guns and stuff like that . So , cartoon violence only . There are mild swear words e.g stupid and a minion photocopying himself when he is sitting on the copy machine .This is the first despicable me movie and at the same time currently the best one .
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAmelia Anzalone May 19, 2014

YASSSSSSSS

pretty good
Kid, 12 years old May 11, 2014

weird and not for kids

funny but weird
Kid, 9 years old April 15, 2014

Good

I love it, but might be kind of sad for little kids, when Gru takes the kids back to the orphanage.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2014

This Movie will Make you Laugh out Loud (and Cry a Little, too)!

Our family enjoyed this movie so much! The humor is sophisticated, but the overall message is comprehensible for even young children. In the end, the main character, who starts out as a villain, transforms through acts of love and kindness.
Kid, 7 years old February 22, 2014

Funny Movie

I watched Despicable Me. The characters were Gru, 3 girls, and some minions. The minions are Gru's workers. Gru is a bad guy who wants to steal the moon. But there's a better bad guy who stole a pyramid. Then Gru adopts some girls. He adopts the girls so they could help him steal the moon. But then the girls get taken back and the other bad guy gets them. But Gru steals the moon and gets the girls back. I liked it because the Minions were funny at this dance recital.
Parent Written byIzzymama January 22, 2014

Not good for adoptive families!!!

This otherwise good movie should come with a huge warning label for adoptive families - in the first half-hour, there is a disturbing exchange where the three girls have an extensive exchange with the orphanage director along the lines of "will someone adopt me? did anyone come to adopt me?" and "No one will ever adopt you!" etc. Huge kudos to CSM for flagging this which is the only reason my husband and I previewed this before watching with our 5-year old adopted son. We could barely stomach it ourselves - it's supremely insensitive - and unfortunate. Despicable Me 2, by contrast, which we've all seen together and enjoyed, is just fine.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2014

On par with Pixar movies

A very well done, original animated flick that you can watch again and again without getting bored. It is quite funny and also sweet. I love it, and have since it first came out. Those minions man.. frigin' hilarious.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

Amazing

Amazing
Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2013

THE BEST

VERY FUNNY AND HEARTWARMING.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydespicable me fan November 14, 2013

the bonding of a life time

i think its a super good movie it cn help you and your child bond easily she or he will cuddle up next to you and you will laugh and smile. the day you watch this movie is the day you and your child will get to spend more time together.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byAnita C October 20, 2013

One to watch together

Enjoyed this with my 3and a half yo and my 5 and a half yo. Good to watch with thm and discuss the characters and story
Kid, 10 years old August 24, 2013

Very funny with a lot of humor! Gru is at first the world's worst villan but ends up to be a nice guy who cares for his daughters. There is a scene where Victor and Gru have a battle but it's just silly made-up weapons. Awesome movie.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2013

Not as good as the second one, though funny.

Despicable Me is an original film based on a super villain. Gru adopts three orphans, and it appears one has a gruesome death. A little girl goes in a cabinet with spikes, and realistic blood pours out of a small hinge. Then the door opens and she says "You poked a hole in my juice box." Despite that, most violence is cartoonish, and crude humor is not too intense. (A minion grabs Gru's private part and makes him squeal.) Overall, the movie is good. But not too good. 7+
Parent Written byConnnie July 27, 2013

Best Movie of all time!!!

I watched this movie a couple weeks ago with my kids and it is awesome!! There are a few scenes of blowing up, guns and other shooting things that may be scary to kids depending on their level of what is scary and what is not but all in all it is a great movie to watch as a family!
Kid, 12 years old July 24, 2013

Very funny

The reason why I like this show, it's because it's very very very very very funny. I like the yellow creatures, they are also very funny.