Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2012

pretty good, but there are better.........

this movie is........ ok, not the best but ok, but thats just my opinion, everyone has there own, oh yeah, i forgot to say, there is a joke about a dog dying and animal testing, I HATE THAT! THATS AGAINST THE LAW!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 26, 2012

lol at this film

an OK movie, with lots of action, hilarious laughs, and nonstop fun. note that the violence gets intense in some scenes, and there are numerous weapons.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypatton1942 March 6, 2012

Great Movie

HILARIOS! I saw this movie in the theator twice and i thought it was one of the funniest movies i have ever seen. Whats all this talk about how this movie is hard on adopted kids? Sure the 3 main charechters are adopted but its not portraed in a bad way. Great movie and i look forward to the 2nd!
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

the most horrible movie for kids even bad for adults

it is horrible dont let your kids whatch it or they will beg u for minion toys
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

d.m

despicable movie wil be a film for the whole family.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts December 24, 2011

Appropriate for all ages.

My kids and I loved this movie! I was kind of Surprised how Miranda Cosgrove was in this movie but my kids and I love her and her music and shows. She did good acting. This movie has a good message. Minions were hilarious. It's appropriate cause in this movie they go "Oh Poop" instead of "Oh Crap" or "Oh S--t" which they mostly say in other PG movies like Shrek or Apollo 13. Don't think about hating this movie or deciding this is not for anybody. IT'S TOO AWESOME TO HATE!!!! YEAH!!!! GO DESPICABLE ME!!!!!!
Kid, 8 years old October 23, 2011

Despicable Me is good for 4+

Despicable Me is good enough for every one to love and enjoy.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykperk October 6, 2011

old-school violence, entertaining for parents

The violence in this movie reminds me of the cartoons from my childhood (think Wile. E. Coyote). The villains and their technology in this movie are 70s spy-movie style, there is even a shark swimming around in a floor tank in one of the villain character's fortresses. When the characters get shot at or blown up they come up from a hole disoriented and charred, but no one is ever shown to be injured. My 7 year-old got it, but many times we had to discuss with our 3 year-old how this is pretend, and in real life guns are dangerous, etc. The presentation of the old-school orphanage and its mistress, in the style of Annie, also required lots and lots of discussion with my children, especially the 3 year-old. My older daughter seemed to see it much like a fairy-tale, and realize that in the "world" and time in which she lives, this is not how children are treated/adopted, etc. But my three year-old daughter said, "you're a nice mommy, but that mommy is mean" of the orphanage director. Gru's inepetness as a child caretaker is so over-the-top (i.e. - putting bowls of food and water on the floor, and newspapers for poop and pee, like one would with a puppy) that most kids above 5 years would get that it is a joke/not realistic. But we had to discuss with my almost four year-old that it is pretend, and in real life children are taken care of. Gru is an extremely likeable character, even while he was still evil. The placement of this comic-book style villain in our modern society is also humorous, such as when he drives his rocket-style tanker vehicle down the freeway or tries to explain who his army of non-human minion creatures are. All of the actors are great in their parts and the actors, dialogue and music made the movie hold my husband's and my interest, even after multiple viewings. The happy fairy-tale ending in which the evil villian turns nice once he experiences the love of a child, and with no explanation become the adoptive father of the girls once again, made my children grin from ear to ear. They clap and jump up and down shouting, "hooray" when the movie ends. Be prepared for your kids to walk around saying, "oh, poop" as an expression.
Kid, 9 years old September 5, 2011

slapstick

funny like very funny great
Kid, 11 years old August 30, 2011

Must see

I think its great for everyone but i dont think adopted children should see it couse they will be hurt because they want a family and they get a creepy man and i dont think it would help watching it but i think its funny
Kid, 10 years old August 12, 2011

Very good

This is a very good film. It is also very funny at parts in it. Sure, it has some crime in it. Weapons like piranah guns and missiles. Nothing bad. I'd get this film if I were you.
Kid, 8 years old July 19, 2011

AWWWWWsome

Despicable me is a good story of a villain
Parent Written bySusan Marlowe CPA July 11, 2011

Gru for Moms, Minions for Tots

I like movies that I can enjoy as a grownup while the kids are giggling away at the humor aimed at them. What I really enjoy about this movie is that the story is different from the usual animated fare. Kids go NUTS for the minions, they just love those little guys. All in all, a painless movie experience for the adults and a fun time for the kids.
Kid, 12 years old July 10, 2011

Very funny.

I just watched this movie today, and I love it! It's extremely funny and safe for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy July 10, 2011

Good for 6+

Cute, funny, movie with an important message about the importance of love and a family. Good for ages 6+
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2011

Love it

this movie was so LOL I loved the minons their sooooo cute i could watch this movie over and over again until i get tired of it gru learns that you can be evil and have family i heard their building a despicable me ride at universal orlando in 2012 and in 2013 their making despicable me 2 i can't wait for that yay me yay me
Teen, 13 years old Written byjustdance June 21, 2011

Great, laugh-filled movie!

I thought this was an awesome movie!! It was so cute and funny, and appropriate as well. Even though Gru is supposed to be an "evil villain", his plans are laughable and innocent. All of my nieces and nephews loved this movie, plus my parents did, and me as well!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner April 21, 2011

Family-friendly as well family-oriented

Everyone one around me was recommending Despicable Me. It's very funny and one that will be especially cherished by your kids. In the beginning, Gru (the main charecter) is the worlds 2nd best thief, which may give kids the wrong perspective on evil. But Gru does slowly change his ways throughout the movie, which kind of covers it up. A few f*rt jokes are in it, but other than that theres nothing to worry about while watching this.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymother4God April 21, 2011

I think 6 year olds and up would enjoy this movie

This has become one of my 8 year olds favorite movies. Although she thought it was a little scary and was unsure in the beginning, she quickly found it funny and cheared the charecters on. We watched it over several times. It's a worthwhile movie to own and rewatch. A feel good movie all around....and the minions are wonderfully funny!
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bykmillsma April 17, 2011

very funny!

very funny for adults and still appropriate for kids, actually has a few plot twists and isn't just the same old plot line