All member reviews for Despicable Me

Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 26, 2012

lol at this film

an OK movie, with lots of action, hilarious laughs, and nonstop fun. note that the violence gets intense in some scenes, and there are numerous weapons.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypatton1942 March 6, 2012

Great Movie

HILARIOS! I saw this movie in the theator twice and i thought it was one of the funniest movies i have ever seen. Whats all this talk about how this movie is hard on adopted kids? Sure the 3 main charechters are adopted but its not portraed in a bad way. Great movie and i look forward to the 2nd!
Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

d.m

despicable movie wil be a film for the whole family.
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts December 24, 2011

Appropriate for all ages.

My kids and I loved this movie! I was kind of Surprised how Miranda Cosgrove was in this movie but my kids and I love her and her music and shows. She did good acting. This movie has a good message. Minions were hilarious. It's appropriate cause in this movie they go "Oh Poop" instead of "Oh Crap" or "Oh S--t" which they mostly say in other PG movies like Shrek or Apollo 13. Don't think about hating this movie or deciding this is not for anybody. IT'S TOO AWESOME TO HATE!!!! YEAH!!!! GO DESPICABLE ME!!!!!!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byent_mom November 12, 2011

A kid's review (age 7)

There may be a few scary parts, but no one is hurt badly. Some parts are really funny, but some parts are upsetting (display of guns, rockets launched at Gru, etc.). I really liked watching it and definitely recommend it.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bykperk October 6, 2011

old-school violence, entertaining for parents

The violence in this movie reminds me of the cartoons from my childhood (think Wile. E. Coyote). The villains and their technology in this movie are 70s spy-movie style, there is even a shark swimming around in a floor tank in one of the villain character's fortresses. When the characters get shot at or blown up they come up from a hole disoriented and charred, but no one is ever shown to be injured. My 7 year-old got it, but many times we had to discuss with our 3 year-old how this is pretend, and in real life guns are dangerous, etc. The presentation of the old-school orphanage and its mistress, in the style of Annie, also required lots and lots of discussion with my children, especially the 3 year-old. My older daughter seemed to see it much like a fairy-tale, and realize that in the "world" and time in which she lives, this is not how children are treated/adopted, etc. But my three year-old daughter said, "you're a nice mommy, but that mommy is mean" of the orphanage director. Gru's inepetness as a child caretaker is so over-the-top (i.e. - putting bowls of food and water on the floor, and newspapers for poop and pee, like one would with a puppy) that most kids above 5 years would get that it is a joke/not realistic. But we had to discuss with my almost four year-old that it is pretend, and in real life children are taken care of. Gru is an extremely likeable character, even while he was still evil. The placement of this comic-book style villain in our modern society is also humorous, such as when he drives his rocket-style tanker vehicle down the freeway or tries to explain who his army of non-human minion creatures are. All of the actors are great in their parts and the actors, dialogue and music made the movie hold my husband's and my interest, even after multiple viewings. The happy fairy-tale ending in which the evil villian turns nice once he experiences the love of a child, and with no explanation become the adoptive father of the girls once again, made my children grin from ear to ear. They clap and jump up and down shouting, "hooray" when the movie ends. Be prepared for your kids to walk around saying, "oh, poop" as an expression.
Parent Written bybigmacattack9 July 16, 2011

Despicable Me

I took my kids to see this movie they were laughing at every joke. This movie has absolutely no bad things in it and kids of all ages and for adults too. The minions and the "dog" were HILARIOUS. If you're worried about your kids seeing it it's fine! Don't know what people were thinking
Parent Written bySusan Marlowe CPA July 11, 2011

Gru for Moms, Minions for Tots

I like movies that I can enjoy as a grownup while the kids are giggling away at the humor aimed at them. What I really enjoy about this movie is that the story is different from the usual animated fare. Kids go NUTS for the minions, they just love those little guys. All in all, a painless movie experience for the adults and a fun time for the kids.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2011

Love it

this movie was so LOL I loved the minons their sooooo cute i could watch this movie over and over again until i get tired of it gru learns that you can be evil and have family i heard their building a despicable me ride at universal orlando in 2012 and in 2013 their making despicable me 2 i can't wait for that yay me yay me
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner April 21, 2011

Family-friendly as well family-oriented

Everyone one around me was recommending Despicable Me. It's very funny and one that will be especially cherished by your kids. In the beginning, Gru (the main charecter) is the worlds 2nd best thief, which may give kids the wrong perspective on evil. But Gru does slowly change his ways throughout the movie, which kind of covers it up. A few f*rt jokes are in it, but other than that theres nothing to worry about while watching this.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymother4God April 21, 2011

I think 6 year olds and up would enjoy this movie

This has become one of my 8 year olds favorite movies. Although she thought it was a little scary and was unsure in the beginning, she quickly found it funny and cheared the charecters on. We watched it over several times. It's a worthwhile movie to own and rewatch. A feel good movie all around....and the minions are wonderfully funny!
Kid, 10 years old April 16, 2011

Cute movie

Gru is an evil man who decides to adopt 3 little girls with hopes for a good family . Gru learns how to love the message in this movie is that love can be in any form evil or not you can love . This movie was great and it made me laugh but I must say that Toy Story 3 was a better movie .
Teen, 15 years old Written byMeow314159 April 16, 2011

SOO CUTE

I saw this movie and it was adorable. It makes you feel so happy! There is one scene that might be a little scary where a girl goes into one of those coffin things with the spikes, and you see blood oozing out, but it's meant to be a joke because it turns out to be her juice box. I don't really think little kids would find this scary at all, they probably wouldn't even understand this scene. Anyway, it's a really sweet movie and I cried a little bit. Just watch it.
Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2011

Perfect for All Ages

I love this movie, I cried and zoo did my Dad, It has positive messages and a little bit of action. When my mom said we were going see it I was reallly dissapointent. I walked in with a frown face and I walked out with smile,
Parent of an infant, 2, 4, and 5 year old Written byMeli B. April 7, 2011

This one is for older kids, but little ones will enjoy it too!

This movie is a lot of fun. I like that the villian is lured away from the dark side, not by a beautiful woman, but by three innocent little girls! It's a sweet story. My concern was the box of shame, that I had to explain to the boys, and some of the language. Also, there are times when the girls aren't doing what they're told and my boys picked up on it, that when they don't listen they don't get in trouble. I didn't like that! It's a sure conversation starter.
Kid, 12 years old April 7, 2011

Perfect for any child

Soooooo funny. Please go and see it because it would be worth your time. It is amazing film and the minions are adorable even if they like blowing/punching each other. However the villain Vector is shown playing on the wii in one scene. The children are really sweet and very good role models. Gru is bad at the start but turns good in the end
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieteenwatcher March 8, 2011

Great for all ages!

This was a great kids movie. There was a little violence, but nothing parents can complain about. Very funny and enjoyable for both parents and kids. There were messages of turning from villain to nice and choosing kids over other things.
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2011

I was always excited to see despicable me! I love how my favorite celebrity Miranda Cosgrove got to act in it! Gru' s plan to steal the moon is totally despicable but it would be illigal if you actually did something like that.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTacoBall February 12, 2011

Wonderful, funny and surprisingly sweet

At first when this movie was in theaters, I didn't want to see it--I thought the poster was too weird with all the Minions and all, but it turned out to be a wonderful movie with themes of family and love. Steve Carell was awesome as Gru, and the Minions were actually really cute. My only concern is that like many other kids' movies, this movie depicts orphanages very negatively, especially because the orphanage director Miss Hattie is mean to little girls, making them sell cookies all day and then locking them up in a "Box of Shame". This type of thing, even though the intentions are probably innocent enough, can cause little ones to develop wrong stereotypes about adopted kids and orphanages.
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2011

Love It!

i love the movie! its funny! Its cute and good extras!