All member reviews for Despicable Me

Clever, funny, and sweet villain-with-a-heart-of-gold tale.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byjencat1969 July 11, 2010

Please do not take adopted children to this movie!!!!

This movie, sadly, depicts adoption and "unwanted" children in in very negative way. The little girls in the movies pray for a forever family are finally "taken " by a creepy man and then given back !!!!!!!!! All the while being abused by their "guardian" in the orphanage while waiting to be "wanted" by a family. I was horrified as I sat next to my precious 7 yr.old adopted child. I wanted to cover his ears and remind him that no matter how poorly Hollywood depicts adoptive children that adoption is forever and parent's don't return children like they are expired groceries. I would have never taken my baby to this movie if I had known what depressing, damaging and incorrect information he would have been exposed to.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byDulcie March 7, 2011

Excellent for all ages!

I loved this movie and so did my kids. That said, there were a few moments that made us uncomfortable. My children are adopted and the early views of the Girls Home and the horrible woman who puts them in a cardboard box for not selling enough cookies or some other infraction was a bit gut wrenching. That said - the rest of the movie is wonderful. It shows a family coming together, love blooming and friends pulling together toward a common goal all with a lot of laughter to tie it all together. We will definitely be adding this to our DVD collection.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bywayfine July 15, 2010

Good movie for the young ones!

Don't dismiss it based on the PG rating. I personally loved this movie. I didn't bring my son since I'd made that mistake with Toy Story 3, which was too dark and scary for him (and it was rated G ! ) But I wish I'd taken him to this one instead. Ok, so there is some shooting (no one gets hurt), and a butt and fart joke, and then there's the hole in the juicebox issue (looks like blood), but overall, the mood is MUCH lighter than Toy Story 3, and it isn't mean, no one actually gets hurt, in fact the main character, an evil villain, ends up a single dad with his heart warmed by 3 orphans. And the minions are funny! So if you feel your child is ready for a big kid movie, I'd suggest this one over Toy Story 3. I'm going to bring my 3 year old back to see it!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byChrisG July 10, 2010

The orphanage/adoption storyline is VERY scary and unrealistic to adoptive kids.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byvinniebarbarino July 25, 2010

Adoption material senseless and disturbing. Avoid if you are adoptive parent!

My five year old son, who is not adopted, found the material about the box of shame and the way the girls were returned very disturbing. We know adopted children and he was also very sad as he assumed they might be returned, too.
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byLovemyboyz October 16, 2010

Not for kids under 10 or that have family issues

I was not happy with the negative message that a guy adopts kids to use them, then tries to return them and is "stuck" with them...etc. It's not something I want my boys to learn. He was mean to the little girls at different points and they were wandering off alone without adult supervision a lot. We saw it in the theaters thinking it would be okay and I think most the adults in the theater were upset over it more than the kids that were too young to understand what exactly was going on (all they seemed to get was "haha funny little yellow guy made silly noises").
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byb080170e July 12, 2010

We are an adoptive family with both bio and adopted children. Luckily, my adopted daughter is not old enough (IMHO) to see the movie yet, but I was very disappointed in the way adoption was handled (everything from the way someone would be able to adopt, to the director being such an ugly person, to the actual ability to "return" the children. It was very uncomfortable for me as an adoptive parent. On the brighter side, otherwise, the movie is very cute and the overall message is touching. I talked to my child prior to seeing the movie and after the movie about the adoption theme that I was concerned about. But I liked the movie very well overall.
Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2010

Really funny movie!

I loved the movie Despicable Me. There's only one big concerns that I have. A few little ones though. LANGUAGE Butt, fart, poop & sucker were all used, "butt" especially. VIOLENCE Some of Gru's gadgets would be considered dangerous in the real world such as a freeze-ray, shrink-ray and another weapon which blows stuff up. PRODUCT PLACEMENT One. The NBC logo. But, it's not really "in your face" and it only shows for a few seconds. BAD ROLE MODELS Both Gru & Vector are bad role models for stealing and using weapons. No highlights unfortunatly. However, if you enjoy a really funny movie, this is great!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolakitty12 October 7, 2010

A little immature with language but good for young kids.

This was a very cute movie. There are some things in it you don't want your kids to go around saying but it has good messages about family and even the most "evil" person has some good qualities.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMI Mom of 2 August 11, 2010

Adoptive Families Caution - Clever & Cute, but Poor Use of Adoption

I typically review EVERYTHING before we go see a film with our children, but this time I and didn't check. I listened to friends and relatives who said it was great. If you have adopted children as I do, you may be more sensitive to the way adoption is treated in the film. The story has a happy ending, but the messages about adopted children is twisted (supposed to be funny). Children waiting to be adopted were to perform the duties required of their overseer or be punished inside a Shame Box. The girls are adopted not out of love but out of selfishness of the villain, although they do end up changing his heart. The hardest part was watching the girls be RETURNED by the main character at one point in the movie because they were a distraction and no longer of use to him. I am sure there could have been another way to thicken the plot. I wondered what my children thought as they watched it. Even children who have not been adopted, but even those from a blended family or who may be separated from parent, may be extra-sensitive to this portion of the film. I did not have any objection to the slapstick humor, the not so villianous-villian, and the ever-happy minions, but it is very sad how the issue of adoption was treated in the film. My daughter found it funny and enjoyed the film and found the little girls endearing. My son, on the other hand said it was okay, and really did not care to discuss the details, so I am concerned that he had a better understanding of the adoptive situation. Although I found many parts to be cute and the good message of a change of heart positive, I am not sure I would have taken my children at their age due to the treatment of adoption in the film.
Parent Written byLinVA July 23, 2010

Weird story about a man who was ridiculed as a child by his mom, and thus became a villian. He adopts 3 young girls to help in his schemes. He ends up loving them, but the pre-adoption scenes with the girls are painful, and the adoption itself is bad, too. I know the movie isn't supposed to be real life, but this is not something I'd want my kids to see.
Adult Written byhipocampus girl July 17, 2010

FUNNY AND ENJOYABLE

It is a great movie and is very funny.it really shows that the creator had a great imagination and did not want to copy same plots of other movies.such a good movie!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2011

Entertaining Black Comedy Sends Relevant Messages

No concerns in terms of appropriate contents. Nothing that would really be offensive to a seven-year-old or his parents (I am 12). Very, very, funny (mostly a black comedy, my favorite brand of comedy), but the humor is also not too dark at the same time. INFINITELY entertaining. It is probably almost impossible to fall asleep watching this. May be a kids' film, but like "Toy Story" and "The Lion King", adults will be dragged through it but also pleasantly surprised throughout the movie because it's appealing to an entire family.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byloisj April 29, 2011

questionable lessons, cheap laughs

i hated this movie. i thought there was not one positive message in it. three little girls, who live in an orphanage with a cruel woman, are "adopted" way too easily by a villain. the girls are called from their bedroom and told they are being adopted, and they are just sent home with this strange man. he takes them to his house, where the girls are kind of freaked out at how scary it is, and all the while he wants to use them to get to another villain and then ditch them. of course the point is that they end up melting his heart and he wants to keep them, but the whole premise and the message that kids should go with strangers, even when the suspect these strangers have bad intentions, is a dangerous one to send. It's like romanticizing kidnapping. Aside from the problematic messages, the film is flat and goes for really cheap laughs. there are some gratuitous comic scenes when the little aliens (comic relief) have to go to a toy store and cause all kinds of mayhem. ditto for the disco scenes. They don't fit with the story, but kids will laugh at the antics (and the potty humor, of which there is plenty). The movie also contains cheap laughs for adults (nothing like the clever innuendos in Shrek or Tangled, for example). This movie relies on the daily struggles of parenting to appeal to the adults, but it doesn't apply to the story. For example, the kids whine and beg until he gives in, they manipulate him in other ways, too, and say the same things your kids will say, like "will you play with us?" and "I hope his house is made of gummy bears." furthermore, the movie uses the old adult-single-man-has-no-idea-how-to-deal-with-children trope, which can be entertaining (ex, Kindergarten Cop), but here it is shallow and predictable. all in all, a simplistic story with cheap laughs that promotes dubious understanding of how much children shoudl trust adults.
Adult Written byBurton21 April 15, 2011

Definitely not for little ones

This movie has strong violent imagery including a girl getting suggestively impaled by spikes and what looks like blood oozing out. The opening scene shows a boy falling a long distance as onlookers watch in horror. He just happens to land safely. That is the problem with this movie for younger viewers. Yes, it all turns out okay, but for those few moments children are manipulated into thinking the girl has been killed, or that the boy will fall and hit the stone below and be harmed.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byZenMama September 29, 2010

Intelligent and funny, a bit complex for young ones

entertaining for an adult. the 3 sisters in the movie are good role models - they show how a family should love and care for each other. i tried to prepare my 5yo for the orphanage scenes, but i didn't realize there was another part that would upset her. spoiler... the main character returns the girls to the orphanage, and this made my daughter cry. i think she might have handled this better at age 6 or 7.
Kid, 12 years old July 14, 2010

Great movie and it teaches evil people can be good to. Only scene of concern is the juice box scene ( where it looks like a little girls is crushed by spikes, because he crushed juice box looks like blood.)
Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2010

OK for kids that are'nt orphans, or are and don't care what the depict them as.

It's OK, though the orphanage line was pretty awkward.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 31, 2013

Brilliant!

When I saw the trailers for this in 2010, I thought I wouldn't like it. However, that changed when I actually saw the movie. It was great! It's about an evil mastermind named Gru, who adopts three little girls. He doesn't care for them, but that soon changes. It was a positive film and had a lesson teached at the end. There is some mild potty humor but kids will get a giggle out of it. The CGI for Despicable Me was great! Although it may not have been Pixar or anything, it's still great. Overall, Despicable Me is an excellent movie for everyone and I hope the sequel will be good!
Parent Written byaskyourmother January 28, 2013

Dark, cruel and scary!

The dark and cruel depiction of orphans, adoption, and villians was too, too much for our daughter (who is adopted). She said the movie would give her nightmares and asked to turn it off .... Just before I reached the point of turning it off myself. This is not an appropriate movie for any family with adopted kids, particularly kids who were adopted at older ages. It's hard to imagine how some of these themes are created and packaged as "family" or "kid" movies. Boggles the mind. The first day into the adopted home, one girl is apparently "killed" by being squeezed in an ancient torture device ... yes, really. But then she is magically ok. Not cute for youngsters. Pretty graphic with "blood" running out onto the floor ... although it later turned out to be grape juice. My advice, "Just say no" to despicable me.