All member reviews for Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Adorable comedy about middle-school anxieties...and farts.

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byColumbiaMDMom March 21, 2010

Had low expectations – was disappointed anyway

I begrudge the time and money I spent taking my two sons, ages 10 and 7, to see this film. Most of the charm of the book series comes from seeing the sketches from Greg, the “wimpy” kid. The film didn’t place a big emphasis on these sketches. Instead we view scenes mainly from a fly on the wall perspective at the middle school and in Greg’s home. Some scenes were very scary for my 7-year old, and unpleasant for my older son and for me: Greg’s older brother, Rodney, threatening “I am literally going to kill you”, and telling Greg his planned trick-or-treating route passes the site of where children had been put into an oven. Another dispiriting scene has Greg and his best friend Rowley relegated to eating their lunch on the cafeteria floor when no one is willing to let them sit at their table. The plot of the film is purportedly Greg’s strategies to become “someone” in middle school society. In his single-minded quest, he distances himself from chubby Rowley whenever he thinks it serves him. And to me, this is the saddest part. When Greg is observed coming up short on his job as a safety patrol, Rowley is reported instead since Greg was wearing Rowley’s jacket at the time. Alerted to the situation, Greg lets his Mom know only that he has a decision to make that could hurt someone. She advises him that our decisions make us who we are. In spite of this advice, Greg chooses to let Rowley be the fall guy. Later when Greg matter-of-factly tells Rowley that he it was he who actually fell short on his duty, it’s Rowley who has the truest moment of the film as he tells Greg that he has not been a friend. In a way this film really belongs to Rowley. Rowley moves up in middle school society by being optimistic and by being himself. He gains positive attention when he wins the competition to be the replacement cartoonist for the school newspaper. He is reinstated with a promotion to the school safety squad when the safety patrol director discovers the truth about the patrol incident with Greg. And he makes a splash when he dances with his Mom at the Mother Son Dance. Rowley is someone we can all feel good about – a cheerful underdog who wins out in the end. A wimpy kid might be funny. In the movie, Greg comes across as a coward, and that really isn’t funny.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byblissful June 14, 2010

Terrible message, no resolution of criminal activity. BAD.

This movie was very disappointing. The so-called "wimpy" kid is obsessed with his image, and betrays his friend so he can look cool. He spends the whole movie whining about how unfair life is to him. He takes a group of kindergarteners, abandons them in a dangerous pit in the rain, and then lets his friend take the fall. He does eventually lose his "safety monitor" job at school, but it's barely a slap on the wrist, and the movie does a terrible job of explaining just how horrible his behavior was. He should be expelled or possibly even face criminal charges. We had to have a LONG discussion with our boys about how unrealistic this movie was, how horrible the kid was, etc. The movie ends with the kid essentially just asking his friend to take him back, and the friend does so with barely an apology. The message is that it's okay to act like a complete selfish jerk and to put the lives of young children in danger and act completely irresponsible, and everything will be okay with almost no apology. This was not Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It was Diary of a Self-Centered, Disrespectful, Rude and Obnoxious Kid who considers himself to be put-upon and never really learns his lesson. TERRIBLE message. We really had to do some damage control on this one because we heard our 8 year old boy saying things about this kid being "cool" and had to set him straight.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirl4natwolff February 13, 2011

Only if you think butts are funny. Don't go see it if you're a fan of the books.

Ummm......it was okay. I expected it to be really good, but.....there were some major flaws. First, some scenes were DISGUSTING. Wow, really? You really need to show a brownish booger that stretches to be funny? The only people who are going to like this are stupid nine-year-old boys. I love the books, and this was a MAJOR disappointment.
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written byMamaV April 18, 2010

I had not read the books but my kids had (9 and 8). The movie was good but my kids aren't in middle school yet and the movie makes it seem like middle school is a horrible and scary place only about being popular, from my perspective. My kids enjoyed it though and the ending message is a positive one though. parts of the movie were hysterical.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2010

No way should you let your 8 year old go to this!!!!!!!!!!!

Since 3rd grade ive read the books. i would totaly recromend the book to kids over ten because of the language. they say " Moron" and point to a kids who is a moron. i think the books teach kids words that should not be use. i would also recromend it for kids 10 and over becasue it is based on the life of a middle schooler. i would also beware that Greg and Rowley Hit on some older ladies and talk about relationships alot
Teen, 14 years old Written bylaurahunter April 1, 2010

diary of a wimpy kid: best movie ever!!

i absolutely loooved this movie! i am 14 years old but took the kids i babysit to it.their mom said it was okay to go to a movie so when i asked them what movie they wanted to see they insisted on diary of a wimpy kid. i had never heared of it but from the first minute until the last it had all of us laughing our butts off! my favorite characters where rowly and rodrick. casey's (9) was fregly and anna's (7) was anjie. first off rowly is my absolute favorite because he is totaly clueless and always funny. his friend greg treats him like crap but it turns out okay in the end. rowly doesnt care what anyone says about anything, if he thinks its cool, hel do it. a perfect example is when they are safety guards or something. everyone else thinks its dumb but he does it anyways. i like rodrick because he is so real. he toaly reminds me of my older brother. telling me scary stories and such. i loved the part when he said dont go to devil worshiper woods and when they run in the woods the teenagers are like "heak no im not going in devil worshiper woods!!" fregly is really weird. he dressed as a unicor for halloween adn chased greg with a booger. enough said there. :) anyways i totaly recomend it to anyone and their child!!!! its so funny, but it has a lot of potty humor just a warning!
Kid, 9 years old March 22, 2010

if you liked the book, youll love the movie.

i loved it! it was way better than the 1st book. it had some violence though, like when rodrick tells greg that he will kill him. Greg has never been a good role model, not even in the books.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written bymommaofthree April 19, 2010

I was disappointed. The movie is full of bad behavior: lying, image is everything, revenge, disrepecting friends and parents, etc. The last ten or fifteen minutes have a positive message, but it's hard to forget the first hour. Also, for younger kids, they might misinterpret some events as funny, and think it's okay to act like Greg or Rodrick.
Kid, 11 years old April 12, 2010

Cute movie with nice humor

It was a nice movie. To be honest I expected this movie to be like Alvin and the Chipmunks(really bad humor), but it was very funny and fun. If you have read the Wimpy book series you would know that Greg isnt the nicest guy. In this movie its made him seem a lot meaner. You wouldnt want your kids to have Greg as role model, thats why there are of a few concerns on his behavior. If you want your kids to have Rowly as your kids model than thats great. Rowly showed many positive messages to kids. Fun movie. You should see it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBeth Monroe March 22, 2010

Perfect for Everyone

Great movie. Explains the hardships of growing up, in a humorous enviroment. Parents will remember the "Wimpy Kid" they were in their youths, and will crack up on many occasions! Kids will also love it, especially if they have read the series. I highly suggest it for anyone age 6- 66! One of the best growing up movies in years!
Kid, 7 years old September 23, 2010

Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2010

perfect for anyone whos read the book

very funny, as good as the book
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2010

Kids that are 10 and up can watch this mediocre movie.

I watched this movie a month ago and to be honest I didn't think it deserved as much hype as it did in the commercials. Another typical 20th Century Fox production. The book was really different from this movie, and I believe the book was better. In some scenes students working for the school newspaper (which in my school we can't do this) humiliate other students like the fight Greg had with the girl in wrestling class. Greg in this movie plays a really bad role model, acting like a jerk to his pre-mature friend, Rowley, saying that his mom is trying to get him killed in middle school and other nasty remarks. Greg gets a lesson taught to him when Rowley breaks his arm and gets the girls coo-ing over him. Greg throughout the rest of movie tries to get the girls to like him, making fake accidents or self-done pain. Other then that, the message at the end is fair.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymjckjohnson September 5, 2010

Over the top on the "wimpy" theme, too little on the positives.

I must be honest, after 45 minutes I had to remove my 10 year old and her visitng friend as well as my 7 year old. I was watching and kept waiting for the messages of craving popularity and glorifying under achievement (the older brother) to turn around but then couldn't take anymore. I "got" the message about his struggles, but felt they were embellished a bit too much. I finally had to get out of there - if it got better after that, that's great. But quite frankly it would have been too little, too late!
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written bysangefraier April 8, 2010

Not sure about this

I don't know. I REALLY didn't agree with the whole magazine thing.... or the peeing on another kid.... and some of the words used are very harsh. Though the words are something sadly kids my step son's age use daily..
Adult Written bydjmisspop March 31, 2010

I was surprised to find out that the Spring YMCA camp had taken all the kids to see this movie today. My 5 year old was pretty traumatized by the scene with the bullies. She didn't understand any of the other subtleties, not even knowing what 'being popular' means. She told me she was so scared she hid on a counselor's lap.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byvmaekegvjs.fknmsel February 26, 2011

gr8 see it

i love it
Parent of a 8 and 9 year old Written bySK. March 22, 2010

It might originate some stress about going to middle school.

It worth some conversation about language and behavior before and after watching the movie, especially about the magazine. I am also afraid it might originate some stress about going to middle school.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeil13 April 13, 2011

Diary of an Arrogant Kid

This film was really pretty bad. I'm a big fan of the books, so when I heard about the film, I wa\s quite excited. Then I watched it. It's for very little kids, not ver funny, and kinda boring. And Greg's not wimpy like in the books. He's actually a bit unlikeable (I did put something slightly worse, but they said it was inappropriate?. Don't waste your time or your money.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bypatrickstar March 25, 2010

Good for boys

Full of young boy humor, plus a good message about being yourself and friendship. My boys loved it and got the message loud and clear.