All parent member reviews for Disney's A Christmas Carol

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

A bit scary for the young ones

This is very true to the book. This is definitely a movie that Charles Dickens would appreciate. Saying that, this movie is too scary for the young ones. Our 7 year old wasn't scared, but any younger than that and this movie is too much. Don't let Jim Carrey fool you, this is not a comedy at all. It's very dark.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydavidl73 December 27, 2010

Kind of let down... Expected more Holiday Spirit

We all love Polar Express, so were suprised that the kids got disinterested real quick. The movie is intense and scary for the younger ones in your Family... and I felt it wasn't quite as uplifting as some of the versions I have seen. My 14 and her best friend were more creeped out than enjoyed this movie. Bought Polar Express, watch it every year.. this one rented once... that is probably enough.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycarter0617 December 6, 2010

yguyc

my kids who are 8 and 4 got real scared
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byCV_Airwin December 3, 2010

Definitely NOT a movie for young kiddos.

Loved the story, the actors, the final product, but was disappointed that they would make a movie marketed to young kids so scary. Even my thirteen-year-old thought it was rather creepy.
Adult Written byFamilyofSix November 22, 2010

Better to rent a classic version if you can find one

The ghosts were too scary and gruesome for young kids. The scene I remember is when the ghost's jaw bone broke and he tried to force it to work so he could speak. It was quite graffic. I'd recommend kids be at least 10, probably older. But, my teens didn't find it interesting, and neither did I. This movie turned out to be a real downer. You'd be better off to look for any previous version that was made.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byilivetoread November 19, 2010

I rented this for "Family Movie Night" for my boys (ages 9, 7, 5). They weren't really all that interested in it right from the start and although they insisted on watching the whole movie, memories of the ghostly door knocker, the Ignorance and Want children and the Grim Reaper Ghost kept them up for 2 nights afterward. Aside from being frightening for younger children at times, I don't think older children would be that interested in it either as the majority of the film was dark and unexciting. I'll admit I was expecting it to be much better than it was and could only have been more disappointed if I had spent money to see it in the theater.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byParentReviewer18 August 20, 2010

Surprisingly Scary!

I took My sons & My daughter to see this and Everyone except me & my 8 year old were scared The ghosts are very scary and during some of the movie my 6 year old & 4 year old were Closing their eyes and had their fingers in their ears. Also I Was disappointed to find out that they cursed! Even though they were the mild ones they were still not appropriate for my kids. I will definitely check the reason for the rating the next time my kids want to go see a kids movie!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 7, 2010

Adult Written bycrackerjack5 May 30, 2010

A good movie for the family...

...if you don't mind a few strong scares (scary for kids, anyway, not adults). The animation is top-notch and the voice acting is fantastic!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byTwin Mommy May 8, 2010

Not in any way appropriate for children under the age of 8..... Maybe 10....

I have never had to leave a movie midstream with my twins, but this movie terrified them. One twin immediately crawled up in a ball and went to sleep. The other, more brave twin, decided 30 minutes into the movie that it was time to go home. I think that the reviewers are being generous saying that this film is appropriate for children 8+
Adult Written byjacobw82 May 3, 2010

In a nutshell, I thought I was watching a Tim Burton film. That's NOT a complement. If I wanted to watch a movie with dark imagery, I'd suffer myself to watch "A Nightmare Before Christmas" and be bored with all of the dark renditions all throughout. To take a movie like "A Christmas Carol" and add suggestive material such as using "curse words" in a questionable way (they use the slang word for donkey and actually are referring to scrooge which is a questionable way to use a curse word in a children's movie) What really crosses the line is the "Ghost of Christmas Present" --- from the entrance to the exit, this movie TRASHES the image of Christ. I was increasingly angered the longer the scene went on. From the "thorns on his head" to "his" way of turning "evil" to his "death" --- RIDICULOUS!!!! If you have christian values and/or you have children 11 and under, steer clear from this movie.
Parent Written byfatherkeith March 20, 2010

3D is too much

I thought even though the message of not being greedy was good the 3D aspect of death and the head of dead people jumping out at you is a little too much
Parent Written bytobewunaskwun March 11, 2010

Great Fun for Older Kids

This was the first 3-D movie I had seen in some years and I let my kid talk me into going to it. I'm glad I did! The effects were awesome and the color and feel were spectacular! I would say that this film is true to the "spirit" of the play...sometimes, almost too true. I highly recommend this for pre-teens and up, but some scenes were just too intense for the PG rating it was given. Jacob Marley, while creepy fun for teens and adults, may be enough to make younger children have nightmares. The episode with Christmas Present got very, very eerie toward the end. Throughout the film, I kept bracing myself for some vulgarities, awkward moments or, at least, double entendres. I'm happy to say, there weren't any. Part of this movie's problem for some, but not for me, was its dark, occasionaly macbre, feel which reminded me of a good old fashioned Christmas ghost story...duh! All in all, this was a great movie, my daughter and I loved it and I can't wait to buy the blu ray.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byMarciaK February 18, 2010

Tiny Tim is a perfect role model!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bysaive February 13, 2010

hi
Parent of a 8 year old Written byLeslie sixties relic December 22, 2009

scary for kids 10; offensive to Christians

Great special effects but it scared my 8 year old with scenes of being sucked into a grave & chased relentlessly by the grim reaper. Terrible message that death is the punishment for bad behavior. Very offenisve use of Christian imagery; St. Nick Christmas tree turns into a giant Jesus with a crown of holly thorns and then he turns mean; hell & damnation. Not a healthy story of redemption. Disney sucks anymore.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bycecasarez December 22, 2009

This movie was entirely too scary. We had to leave the movie theatre because the ghosts were way too frightening. My oldest daughter cried that night because she was still scared. They just ruined a classic story that should have a positive Christmas message instead of scaring us to tears!
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byGrisabella December 20, 2009

Double check it's really in 3D or rent a better version

I gave this a 9 year old rating since my 9 year old loved it and wasn't too scared. It seemed about right for him, and he's not a regular of super scary, high action movies. However, it was pretty intense, even without the 3D. We were disappointed our theater had dropped the 3D version by the time we got around to seeing it. Wouldn't you think they'd keep the 3D on at least until Christmas? We weren't interested in seeing a Christmas movie at Halloween or whenever it actually opened so shame on us! Ha! Lastly, I thought the movie spent too much time on endless physical scenes with Scrooge being chased by things or shot through the air and etc. and less on the humanity of the story. I found the animation weirdly off-putting, but mostly because I think I just prefer actual actors faces. Not bad overall, but not great and without the 3D I'd rather have rented it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byuusarahmcg December 19, 2009

Absolutely not for 8 year olds

I really regret not checking out the reviews of this movie before impulsively taking my 8 yo to see it. I haven't heard ANY buzz about the scariness, and figured "Disney" = OK for kids. WAY WRONG. My daughter saw the George C Scott version this year, and there were moments that scared her but it was nothing like this one. She spent at least half of the movie with her hands over her eyes asking what was happening and if she could look yet. The stretch where the ghost of Christmas present reveals "ignorance and want" and then dies is excessive and was scary even for me. I am disappointed and angry that I wasted my time and money on this movie.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byjustamom2 December 19, 2009

As the jaw of one of the ghosts split from his face I had to admit I felt I was sitting in more of a horror movie than anything else. I am a big Christmas Carol fan, but this rendition was WAY TOO SCARY and dark for small children or any child under 8. Even that would be a stretch. I saw mothers with toddlers that were genuinely terrified and had to wonder why in the world they didn't leave the theature! Very well done and visually stunning, but mis-rated and far too much for most children. Also, with exception to the very end, lacking any christmas warmth and spirit.