All parent member reviews for Disney's A Christmas Carol

Adult Written bymickds4 December 1, 2009

A huge disappointment for a holiday movie with the kids. We did not walk away with the warm and fuzzies. It seems like they made this movie just to show off the special effects.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybiglamb November 29, 2009

Spoiler Alerts! This is not the Christmas Carol like the Mickey Mouse version or the Muppet version. This one has a much darker tone. There are many "jump-out" things that will cause you to jump (even as an adult though you know it's coming). Many things could be frightening such as Marley, Christmas Present who withers away into bones and the 2 nasty children at his feet, Christmas future and the horse carriage. This will be a movie that you as a parent will have to decide if your child can handle it. Also, this movie may go well over the heads of the younger kids and may get bored along with frightened. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the movie. They didn't make it into a cutesy movie cause it did have dark moments in the actual story...which Charles Dickens wrote without the thought of making it into a cutesy, everybody is happy movie. I think many people are making the mistake of thinking it's a happy/funny story (due to Mickey and Muppets), but deep down it's not. Although there are light moments in the story such as the transformation of Scrooge at the end. It's a story to make you think (for an adult anyway) of how you're spending the days you have with your family, friends and to others. I also think Jim Carrey did a superb job with all the voice overs he did.
Parent Written byInAnyEvent November 23, 2009

Perfect for tweens and up

It holds true to the classic tale, however some of the ghost were a tad scarey.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bykboulia November 22, 2009

This movie is INTENSE and very dark. My 8 year old was very bothered by the creepy music and the number of things that jumped out. Some 8 year olds may be better able to handle this, but mine wasn't. As an adult, I found the movie very slow and not all that enjoyable. After watching the Polar Express and A Christmas Carol, I've decided that I really don't care for this style of animation.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylmsully November 22, 2009

Definitely for older teens.

I am appalled at how WAY OVER THE TOP scary this movie was. , the intensity and scariness of the ghosts made this movie just disastorous to leave with a positive feeling. It's too terrifying for children. The only reason we laughed was due to the fact that we couldn't believe how scary they made the ghost not to mention the intensity factor. PARENTS: This is incredibly scary for children and even some tweens. Beware. Also, why did they have to show those images? It's not aproppriate in a children's movie or a christmas movie, not to mention a children's CHRISTMAS movie! We were very glad it was over. We will NEVER be renting this nor recommending it to others. WHEW!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byIndyJ November 20, 2009

My 6 and 8 year old girls loved it.

Hmm, I was scared to take my 6 year old daughter and my girlfriends 8 year old after reading all of these reviews, but I'm glad I did. I attended a sold out IMAX viewing that was full of kids from 2+. No one walked out and there were no crying kids etc. There was actually a round of appluase at the credits. As for my girl(s) they absolutely loved it and were still talking about it excitedly as I was trying to tuck them into bed. I don't know how all these reviews are so heavy handed but our experience was definitely different lol.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byerikpmr November 16, 2009

I can't believe I stayed for the whole thing!

Way to scary for small children. Not that fun for adults. It was rather dark with the 3D glasses on and by the end I had a headache. While the motion capture was well done, the attempts at trying to frighten the audience seemed inappropriate for a Disney holiday movie. I'm soooo glad I did not take my 5 year-old daughter to see this. My adult wife was very scared watching the movie. Boo on you Disney and Robert Zemekis. Boo on you!
Adult Written byCalimom November 12, 2009

Avoid this movie. I really think the screenwriters didn't understand the book. For example, the joyful Ghost of Christmas Present is creepy at best, and absolutely horrifying at the end. There is absolutely no counterbalance of happiness with darkness as was intended by Dickens. The movie makers were so in love with their ability to inject slapstick that there are many unnecessary stupid scenes that break the story line and make no sense. Scrooge was never 6 inches tall, and pursued by the horses of the apocalypse. Even my 11 and 13 year old kids couldn't understand why zombies were lurching out at Scrooge as he ran down an alley (I don't know why either). The story is so badly told that children will not understand the redemption at the end. I asked my 3 kids after we left if they would recommend it to their friends and they all said "NO!" I would have given it 1 star, but there was some excellent animation in flyover shots of London. These got a little tedious after the 10th time though.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum November 8, 2009

A modern holiday treat

I prefer the more old-fashioned take on the story, from my own childhood! But my 7yr.-old enjoyed this version, so I am happy with that. It is a timeless tale of invaluable message. This version has some whiz-bang on top! See my son's review on YouTube: "Max reviews A Christmas Carol"
Adult Written byTammy Norman November 7, 2009

Adults and pre-teen only. Too scary w/loud bell tones. Depressing till 10 minutes before movie ends.

I thought the movie would be a comic version. I love Jim Carrey but he belongs in comedy. If you love the story and realize there will be few laughs that are mostly at the end, you'll love the 3-D special effects. im does a great scrooge. I do not recommend this film for kids younger than 13. It has scary scenes as well as loud bells and other noises that are irritating even for adults. Great movie for adults who love the real story and don't mind being depressed till the end of the film.
Parent Written byTheAgeOfGaggy December 18, 2012

The furthest thing from a familly film put out by Disney

Don't be fooled, just because it is from Disney, it doesn't mean this is a family movie. The movie starts out with a corpse and it only gets worst. It is gruesome and dark. If you are into that, good for you. But what I found very upsetting is the marketing of this movie. The trailers made it seem like a fun adventure with some laughs (provided by Jim Carey). That's what Disney wants you to believe. Sadly, it gets categorized in places as a family movie, but in reality, it should be in the horror section.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byMrsWero January 14, 2011

I wasn't thrilled with it. It had great graphics and was well done. Stayed true to Dickens book, so there can be some educational value to it.
Adult Written bycashfan November 28, 2009

Hate it for kids. This is not a typical Disney or Holiday film to share with your kids! The images are too scary and creepy. My 8 year old daughter and I walked out half way through...could not stomach all of the negativity, scary and creepy images/concepts, nor the 2 embodied images of ignorance and want...which turn into this almost zombie like adults in form, hissing and growling figures that seem to jumpt out at the viewer. The trailer and previews are misleading...the price you pay to get to the positive message and ending is not worth it. The 3D images make the lifelike factor all the more real...demon like facial images, skeletons, corpes, horses with red eyes running right toward you. I will not be seeing this movie again, nor will I buy it to watch in years to come.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bycelticfan November 28, 2009

Scary in parts for young kids . . .

An excellent telling of the original Dickens story without "Disney-fying" the tale. It's true to the classic. The portrayal of the ghost of Christmas Past is the most accurate to Dickens' description of the specter than I have seen in any portrayal. The look of the movie is out of this world. The story is scary in parts for kids. My 4 year old hid his eyes a couple of times, but otherwise enjoyed the film. Our 8 and 10 year olds, thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, the use of the language from Dickens-era London might be confusing for younger kids to understand.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bybutterflyroper November 22, 2009

3D makes these haunting images worse

If your child is eight or so in age and has seen scary movies and can handle them then the movie is great. But for children that cant handle them it is intense and frightning. Being in 3D only makes those images stronger. There were scenes were I jumped. When the movie was over my daughter said finally its over, lets get out of here. She later told all her friends not to go see because it was to scary.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMN Mama November 10, 2009

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not for kids under 10!

I thought this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. My husband left the theater a little over half way through! It was gruesome, gory, scary enough to make my 9 year old cover her eyes, and my 7 year old to flinch and have wide-eyes. There was a body in the movie that decayed in front of our eyes and blew away as dust. It was bizarre to say the least and I felt like whoever wrote this was seriously delusional. Many times, it didn't make sense and was carried on way too long on some parts. We did not see it in 3-D and I cannot imagine how much scarier it would be with the things coming out at you on the screen. I would MAYBE recommend this to someone to rent from a Redbox for a buck, but certainly not worth more than a dollar! Can't say enough bad about it, wish I'd saved the money!
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydavidl73 December 27, 2010

Kind of let down... Expected more Holiday Spirit

We all love Polar Express, so were suprised that the kids got disinterested real quick. The movie is intense and scary for the younger ones in your Family... and I felt it wasn't quite as uplifting as some of the versions I have seen. My 14 and her best friend were more creeped out than enjoyed this movie. Bought Polar Express, watch it every year.. this one rented once... that is probably enough.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byMarin Mom November 15, 2009

I thought it was a very good rendition of the book which is a dark story. Not appropriate for younger children, and it is up to parents to discern whether your child (young or old) can stomach the scariness of the movie. There are scenes where things "pop" out and disturbing images of skeletons and ghosts. That being said, it is one of the better messages of treating people with kindness, unselfishness and spreading joy.
Adult Written byjadej December 22, 2014

Needlessly Grotesque with a Bland Story

Horrible movie, a lot of creepy corpses and jump scares. Instead of giving us time to connect to the characters, the time is filled up with vast animation sequences that lose meaning in 2D, and an extended chase scene that was pointless.
Adult Written byLowe's man November 28, 2014

These reviews are no surprise.

I don't have any children, and I went to see this movie on a weekday afternoon in January, so I didn't see any of the reactions that these other reviewers described. However, what I've read from these other reviwers doesn't surprise me. I myself found the special effects to be disorienting and disturbing. Think about how much worse it would be for children who are just learning the difference between fantasy and reality, or especially for kids who don't yet know the difference. I agree with those who say that this movie should've been rated PG-13. Young kids would be better off reading or hearing the book, or watching another movie version of this story. Even though Michael Eisner has long been gone from Disney, he damaged the company beyond repair. Those who interviewed him for his job at Disney should've asked him what his favorite Disney movie was as a child. Since Eisner didn't see his first Disney movie until several years out of college, this would've made him dead on arrival. When he got to the company, it was obvious that he didn't care about tradition or legacy. He needlessly and irreversably changed the character of The Walt Disney Company. Barring some miracle, Disney will never again be what it was when Walt was alive, or even the way it was as recently as the 1970s.