All parent member reviews for Disney's A Christmas Carol

Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written bykboulia November 22, 2009
This movie is INTENSE and very dark. My 8 year old was very bothered by the creepy music and the number of things that jumped out. Some 8 year olds may be better able to handle this, but mine wasn't. As an adult, I found the movie very slow and not all that enjoyable. After watching the Polar Express and A Christmas Carol, I've decided that I really don't care for this style of animation.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bylmsully November 22, 2009

Definitely for older teens.

I am appalled at how WAY OVER THE TOP scary this movie was. , the intensity and scariness of the ghosts made this movie just disastorous to leave with a positive feeling. It's too terrifying for children. The only reason we laughed was due to the fact that we couldn't believe how scary they made the ghost not to mention the intensity factor. PARENTS: This is incredibly scary for children and even some tweens. Beware. Also, why did they have to show those images? It's not aproppriate in a children's movie or a christmas movie, not to mention a children's CHRISTMAS movie! We were very glad it was over. We will NEVER be renting this nor recommending it to others. WHEW!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bybutterflyroper November 22, 2009

3D makes these haunting images worse

If your child is eight or so in age and has seen scary movies and can handle them then the movie is great. But for children that cant handle them it is intense and frightning. Being in 3D only makes those images stronger. There were scenes were I jumped. When the movie was over my daughter said finally its over, lets get out of here. She later told all her friends not to go see because it was to scary.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byJazzysmom November 18, 2009

Not for those with young kids who scare easily.

Definetely for kids over 7yrs old...unless he/she is not scared easily. Took my six year-old, and she was fine with everything except the (*spoiler alert*) really really loud and scary Ghost of Christmas Future, and the even more loud and scary black horses that chase Scrooge's character for about ten minutes. (She actually sat on my lap for that part). The movie was very good, I just figured that a movie geared towards children would be a little more friendly with all the animated imagery.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byerikpmr November 16, 2009

I can't believe I stayed for the whole thing!

Way to scary for small children. Not that fun for adults. It was rather dark with the 3D glasses on and by the end I had a headache. While the motion capture was well done, the attempts at trying to frighten the audience seemed inappropriate for a Disney holiday movie. I'm soooo glad I did not take my 5 year-old daughter to see this. My adult wife was very scared watching the movie. Boo on you Disney and Robert Zemekis. Boo on you!
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bypwll_grl November 16, 2009

Best holiday show!

Absolutely LOVED this movie!!! The effects were breath taking! The skin, the faces, and the expressions of the characters were the most human I've ever seen. And you really feel like you're flying over London a few times. I took my 8 and 11 year old boys and they really liked it. I must admit this follows the Dickens story very closely, and the story was never intended to be a children's story. So the ghost of Jacob Marley did make my 8 year old sit a little closer to me, but the rest of the movie was ok for him. And there are comic relief moments like the bobbing around of the ghost of Christmas past. All in all, a great family film with something for everyone (at least over the age of 7).
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byArneita November 16, 2009

Not for little ones - Not a 'feel good' holiday movie

Very, very dark movie - although it has a 'happy' ending, it does not leave you feeling good. My 6 and 8 year-old children were too scared to go to bed 8+ hours later.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro November 15, 2009

A little to scary for my kids... Recommended, but for 10+ crowds

We reluctantly took our 6 and 8 year old to this movie after reading the commonsensemedia.org notes. We openly told the kids we weren't sure about taking them to the movie because it might be too scary for them. Nevertheless, they both wanted to go and said they would be brave. Needless to say, within 15 minutes both kids wanted to leave! With some encouragement, we told them the first ghost was the most frightening and both kids made it through the rest of the movie fine. If I had previewed this movie myself first, I would have opted to not take the kids. My kids do tend to be a little more sheltered than others of the same age with respect to frightening movies and violence, but I would still recommend a 10+ rating for this movie. All of the cast in the movie were great, and overall Zemeckis has made an enjoyable movie, but it isn't the "feel good" family version of Christmas Carol that you may be thinking picturing. By the end of the movie where it does have a positive message and "happy ending" my kids were pretty much still in shock from the rest of the movie to appreciate the message that goes along with this.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bybld November 15, 2009

Wonderful

Love it? We do have to remember that the age ratings are opinions. We as parents have to decide if the movies are acceptable for our children. We are the only ones that know. Our four year old has seen it and learned a great deal from the movie.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byKSR November 12, 2009
Not appropriate for young kids. -too scary
Adult Written byfamilyshop November 12, 2009

Fantastic for adults; not for small children

We just saw this with a group of third graders from our school because they had a half day off and we thought it would be a fun outing. One parent warned us that it may not be appropriate but we thought, if they've seen "Harry Potter" they could surely handle this. Boy, were we wrong about this being similar to HP! The scary scenes were long and drawn out. It was difficult for the kids (8 and 9 year olds) to comprehend all that was going on. The story line seemed to stay true to the original book in its darkness but there were few light moments to balance it. With Jim Carrey as the lead, I was expecting something more along the lines of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" with Icabod Crane and his hilarious horse running from the headless horseman, but with better animation. The animation was superb, but was it necessary to put so many gruesome images in the film and linger on them so long? As another parent mentioned, the children "ignorance" and "want" were truly frightening. Did we need to see the one good ghost die?? My husband and I both went and we appreciated it, but couldn't enjoy it because we knew our son and his friends weren't enjoying it. My son and his friends said it was the worst movie they'd ever seen and compared which parts they thought were scariest. I don't think the kids were overly scared but there was a lot that was simply over their heads (it was never explained why the coins were on Marley's dead eyes, we don't meet the maid until we see her in Christmas future and she and her husband are talking about having stolen the bed curtains and shirt off of Scrooge while he lay in the coffin, etc.) and I don't know why they didn't include a visit to the Crachets' home. So, proceed with caution. My son hasn't had nightmares yet but younger audiences should definitely not see this.
Adult Written byCalimom November 12, 2009
Avoid this movie. I really think the screenwriters didn't understand the book. For example, the joyful Ghost of Christmas Present is creepy at best, and absolutely horrifying at the end. There is absolutely no counterbalance of happiness with darkness as was intended by Dickens. The movie makers were so in love with their ability to inject slapstick that there are many unnecessary stupid scenes that break the story line and make no sense. Scrooge was never 6 inches tall, and pursued by the horses of the apocalypse. Even my 11 and 13 year old kids couldn't understand why zombies were lurching out at Scrooge as he ran down an alley (I don't know why either). The story is so badly told that children will not understand the redemption at the end. I asked my 3 kids after we left if they would recommend it to their friends and they all said "NO!" I would have given it 1 star, but there was some excellent animation in flyover shots of London. These got a little tedious after the 10th time though.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byMN Mama November 10, 2009

One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not for kids under 10!

I thought this was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. My husband left the theater a little over half way through! It was gruesome, gory, scary enough to make my 9 year old cover her eyes, and my 7 year old to flinch and have wide-eyes. There was a body in the movie that decayed in front of our eyes and blew away as dust. It was bizarre to say the least and I felt like whoever wrote this was seriously delusional. Many times, it didn't make sense and was carried on way too long on some parts. We did not see it in 3-D and I cannot imagine how much scarier it would be with the things coming out at you on the screen. I would MAYBE recommend this to someone to rent from a Redbox for a buck, but certainly not worth more than a dollar! Can't say enough bad about it, wish I'd saved the money!
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byuseyourbrain November 10, 2009
Parents need to use their good judgment. The Christmas Carol has always been a scary, dark tale whether animated or not. Yes, the message is a very good one derived in a spooky way. Some people in the theater had their 4-5ish year olds there...no surprise they were very scared.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLanden November 10, 2009
Adult Written byMomma13 November 8, 2009
This movie was a huge disappointment. Had it been rated PG13, I would not have been disappointed because I would not have brought my 8 year old to it! This movie rating is wrong! It should not be for children under age 13. It was too scary!!! I trusted the Disney name and reputation for children films and I clearly should not have. If you are going amongst adults, good flick. Jim Carrey did great. But if you are going with children, be fore warned.... You'll be sleeping with the kids in your bed because they are sure to have nightmares!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymimiwatch November 8, 2009

Not for under children under 12

I took my granddaughter who is 8. We only stayed until the the part where. marly visited Scrooge. Up until this point the movie was already dark, and not very interesting. Then when Marly's face was distorted and looked half of it fell off we left. My granddaughter did not like any of it. I was very disappointed. I love the different movies of A Christmas Carol, and have them all, but I will not be buying this one. It is definitely not for children. If fact when we left, there was another mother with her child in the lobby, and they were leaving as well.
Educator and Parent of a 15 year old Written byredjed November 8, 2009

Slightly disagreeable with Common Sense

The main thing about this movie is it is more disturbing then the Reginald Owen version from 1933. The reason I put down that the role models are both good and not good is because(obviously), Scrooge is not a good role model at the beginning, but is at the end.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byTJStamper November 8, 2009

Pretty Scary!

A Christmas Carol is a bit of a scary ghost story and the movie left NO part of that out. The beginning, according to the three 7 and under kids we took, was the scariest part with the ghost of Jacob Marley (Scrooge's partner) appearing to Scrooge and warning of the 3 spirits to come. The only ghost that wasn't "that scary" was the ghost of Christmas Past. Scrooge himself is kind of creepy too! The end of the movie, of course, shows a changed Ebenezer Scrooge as he spreads cheer and goodwill to all and is welcomed into the homes and lives of those around him. If I had to do it over again, I would not take my kids to this movie. I'm worried they will all have nightmares!
Adult Written byTammy Norman November 7, 2009

Adults and pre-teen only. Too scary w/loud bell tones. Depressing till 10 minutes before movie ends.

I thought the movie would be a comic version. I love Jim Carrey but he belongs in comedy. If you love the story and realize there will be few laughs that are mostly at the end, you'll love the 3-D special effects. im does a great scrooge. I do not recommend this film for kids younger than 13. It has scary scenes as well as loud bells and other noises that are irritating even for adults. Great movie for adults who love the real story and don't mind being depressed till the end of the film.