All member reviews for Disney's A Christmas Carol

Adult Written bymomtoone November 9, 2009

Definitely not for under 15, not enjoyable for those who can withstand the mature presentation

I was really disappointed in the movie. I'm used to the many other versions of this tale that really balance the dramatic hauntings with the fun of scrooge's past and the very happy ending. The movie is 96 minutes long and mostly scary and sad. The opening of the movie is Marley's death...Marley is in a casket in what looks like a garage...Scrooge takes the gold coins off his eyes to pay for the burial. The entrance of Marley as a ghost really got scary...there's a part where Marley's fabric around his head loosens and his jaw almost falls off while trying to talk and his tongue hangs out-really REALLY scary...then he talks using his hands to move his jaw. The Ghost of Christmas Past is a flaming candle with a face and he talks really scary and breathy as a ghost is usually portrayed in adult media. The flashbacks were predominately showing sad stories of scrooge's past ex: young school flashback: he was sad & alone in the school because his friend's ditched him...older school flashback: his younger sister runs in to say that Dad has invited him home again and she makes a point to imply how their Dad is changed and not abusive anymore...shortly after the ghost makes a point to say that his sweet sister died after giving birth to his nephew. Short happy flashback to Fezziwig's ball, but soon is the longer argument between he and the young woman he was romantic with that ends in their break-up. Ghost of Christmas Present seems pleasant but at the end of the sequence he has 2 demon-looking kids under his robe come out and age into adults instantly...one (Ignorance) a guy with a knife and jail bars fall on him and the other (Want) a female prostitute who nastily dances behind scrooge...the ghost then has a dramatic painful death as you watch his entire body age and decompose all the way to dust. The last ghost is really creepy and there's a long chase scene where black horses with red-glowing eyes chase scrooge. There's a scene where scrooge is hanging on as not to fall further into his grave as the casket opens and flames below. The ending/happy sequence is short and doesn't show scrooge going to the home of Cratchet, only his nephew's dinner party. The scene with cratchet doesn't include cratchet's family, only he and scrooge at the office the day after Christmas. Anyhow, a very scary adaption to me. My husband and I were scared and the kids in the theatre were crying. Too scary. The whole message of goodwill, peace, and hope is lost with the majority of depressing/sad/scary overtones the movie portrays for character building. I say, two thumbs way, way down.
Adult Written byMovie Man November 15, 2009

Too Horrifying for Kids; Too Horrible for Adults

I am appalled; Jim Carrey, I hope you were tricked into doing this movie. I am an avid fan of Mr. Carrey's work, but this is just disastorous. It's too terrifying for children (I saw kids leave with their parents crying their eyes out) and too unfunny for adults (like myself), and still a bit creepy for some adults. PARENTS: This is incredibly scary for children and even some tweens. Beware. Also, why did they have to show those images? It's not aproppriate in a children's movie or a christmas movie, not to mention a children's CHRISTMAS movie! Well, thanks for reading - Movie Man
Kid, 11 years old December 4, 2009

Miss-Rated, but good.

I am 11 years old and I saw this movie. I really enjoyed it, I thought the message was good, but there were some scenes where I had to cover my eyes. I like scary and violent, but this movie genuinely scared me. And if my seven year old sister were to see this movie, she would've been scared out of her wits. It is very miss-rated. It definitely should be PG-13. I also don't thing Scrooge is not a very good role model because he is always cranky and concerned about money and workhouses. I am so glad I did not see it in 3-D. If you are going to see this movie with your kids, you watch it first because some of the images are truly scary and disturbing.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 11 year old Written byrohjomom December 30, 2009

While I watched it with my three boys, I kept thinking: "This is a horror movie for children!" There were several grotesque scenes! These include: when Marley's face on the door knocker "explodes" with teeth flying everywhere, When Marley's jaw separates from his face in a horrifying way while confronting Scrooge in his bedroom, and when the Ghost of Christmas Present laughs, disintegrating into an old grey man -- and then a skeleton at the end of that scene. For what it's worth, my boys said that they liked it (6, 9 & 11).
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bystarasia November 28, 2009

Not for little kids

There were a lot of unnecessarily scary scenes. We saw it in regular, not 3D and my 8 year old, who is a brave girl, was hiding in my arm for a good many parts. She also said she was so glad that we didn't see it in 3D.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bychakathu November 8, 2009

Too scary for young kids. Too scary for 10 year olds.

Let me first say that I am not puritanical when it comes to movies and whether or not they are or are not too scary for my kids. I am not one of those mythical moms whose kids have never watched television. My kids eat cereal. My kids sometimes stay up like savages on non school night. I will also add that my kids are very comfortable, normally, with Disney movies and their requisite Disney villains. There's no other way to put it. I was pissed while watching this movie in the theater. Are they kidding? This is showing at El Capitan with snow machines and the whole "Holiday" celebration theme luring you in. Both my 7 year old son and my 10 year old daughter were hiding under my pashmina throughout the movie. My daughter took off her 3D glasses, hoping that it would be less scary with them off. Honestly, I couldn't believe the level of "scary" & startling in this movie. Ghosts with their jaws dropping off (and NOT in a funny "ha ha" Jim Carey way). . . really?! Do YOU think this has been related in Disney's advertising for this movie? Bait & Switch at the expense of the kids and my pocketbook. I'm just plain pissed. And my kids have already asked to sleep in my bed for awhile. Thanks Disney.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byTracy JA November 8, 2009

Terrible movie for children!!

Absolutely the worst Disney Movie that has ever been made. Though the story and the graphics are good, this movie is not suited at all for children under 12. It should NOT have been rated PG. I HAVE A 7 and 10 year old girls that were scared to death. Both are worried about nightmares tonight. I cannot believe Disney would mis-lead the public the way they did on this one. I am beyond disappointed, Im actually mad about it. And I spent $40.00 on scaring my girls to death!! Thanks Disney. Unbelievable.
Parent Written byTheAgeOfGaggy December 18, 2012

The furthest thing from a familly film put out by Disney

Don't be fooled, just because it is from Disney, it doesn't mean this is a family movie. The movie starts out with a corpse and it only gets worst. It is gruesome and dark. If you are into that, good for you. But what I found very upsetting is the marketing of this movie. The trailers made it seem like a fun adventure with some laughs (provided by Jim Carey). That's what Disney wants you to believe. Sadly, it gets categorized in places as a family movie, but in reality, it should be in the horror section.
Adult Written bycoloradobutterfly November 14, 2009

I liked it but I can't help thinking that other Christmas Carol movies brought out the true spirit of the story better because there was less distraction. Way to scary for the little ones!
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCandyvava November 8, 2009

This is the 1st time common sense media has let me down! This movie is NOT appropriate for 8 year olds. My husband and I saw it with 6 and 8 year old boys and they both were terrified. I had a knot in my stomach the whole time because it was so scary for them. We think it might be appropriate for kids ages 12 and up.
Adult Written bysplendid23 November 7, 2009

relentless disturbing and terriffying scenes. my kids ( 9 and 6) begged to leave after about 50 mins. lots of disturbing supernatural images
Parent Written byLondon1234 November 28, 2011

too much

My 8 1/2 year old daughter tried watching this twice and had to turn it off both times. This version is very dark and very scary.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygravityman December 28, 2010

Can be a little scary for more sensative kids

My ten year old son is easily scared and we barely made it 15 minutes into the movie before the ghosts had him unable to watch the rest. I think the images were age appropriate but if you have a child who is easily scared, think twice before watching
Parent Written bydaboyzmomma November 26, 2010

I have 6 boyz (ages 10, 9, 8, 6 4, & 4) we watched it during the day one Saturday. I had heard it is just like the Charles Dickens book, which is not an upbeat, happy book. So I wanted them to watch it during teh day. None of them had nightmares (which EASILY could have happened) and they enjoyed it! My husband and I loved it.....Definately a must watch if you love the original Charles Dicken's book.
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 9, 2010

Stupid, scary, and not at all in the Christmas spirit

What the...? How did Robert Zemeckis, who created the beautiful Polar Express, make this God-awful christmas film. And with Jim Carrey?! You'd expect an amazing, funny, and deeply moving Christmas tale. But, instead we get the exact opposite. Parents: This is scary for a cartoon. I brought my little brother and had to take him out of there. I finished the movie another time, and I regret that I did. It even chilled me a little bit! Bottom Line: Bah-Humub indeed! There's no need at all to see this horrible film. Thanks for reading, and sorry about the negativity - Movie Man
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bySpartyMom January 9, 2010

Definitely not for 6 year olds

I probably wouldn't have taken my kids except this was for a birthday party for a classmate. The mom didn't realize it would be so scary. My son hid his face and my daughter had to leave the theater. We did bring her back in to see the "happy" ending so she could at least see that Scrooge turned nice, etc. But this is definitely a scary movie and we only caught the regular version! Other classmates were frightened too & had bad dreams.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBooga Boo Mom December 2, 2009

For older kids with a context of the story

My daughter has seen Mickey's Christmas Carol when she was younger and it was fun for her to see it older. She seemed to appreciate that I let her see a more grown up adaptation of the book.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybiglamb November 29, 2009

Spoiler Alerts! This is not the Christmas Carol like the Mickey Mouse version or the Muppet version. This one has a much darker tone. There are many "jump-out" things that will cause you to jump (even as an adult though you know it's coming). Many things could be frightening such as Marley, Christmas Present who withers away into bones and the 2 nasty children at his feet, Christmas future and the horse carriage. This will be a movie that you as a parent will have to decide if your child can handle it. Also, this movie may go well over the heads of the younger kids and may get bored along with frightened. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the movie. They didn't make it into a cutesy movie cause it did have dark moments in the actual story...which Charles Dickens wrote without the thought of making it into a cutesy, everybody is happy movie. I think many people are making the mistake of thinking it's a happy/funny story (due to Mickey and Muppets), but deep down it's not. Although there are light moments in the story such as the transformation of Scrooge at the end. It's a story to make you think (for an adult anyway) of how you're spending the days you have with your family, friends and to others. I also think Jim Carrey did a superb job with all the voice overs he did.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bycelticfan November 28, 2009

Scary in parts for young kids . . .

An excellent telling of the original Dickens story without "Disney-fying" the tale. It's true to the classic. The portrayal of the ghost of Christmas Past is the most accurate to Dickens' description of the specter than I have seen in any portrayal. The look of the movie is out of this world. The story is scary in parts for kids. My 4 year old hid his eyes a couple of times, but otherwise enjoyed the film. Our 8 and 10 year olds, thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, the use of the language from Dickens-era London might be confusing for younger kids to understand.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bytwinker123 November 21, 2009

I loved the movie but I disagree with your rating of 8+. The gost are scary and I took 12 year olds that were nervous when the ghost were there. Jim Carey was unbelievable and the artistry of how they did this movie was fantastic. Sometimes you really thought you were looking at real people.