All member reviews for District 9

Sci-fi stunner is smart but gory; way too violent for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

WARNING: THE REVIEW DOES NOT EXPRESS VERY WELL HOW GROSS AND SICK THIS MOVIE CAN BE

I'm a pretty mature 15-year-old and I thought it'd be ok for me to watch this movie before. I finally convinced my parents to let me see this "R" movie. Before I watched the movie, I did check this review and thought the movie would be ok. I was thinking that the language was nothing I didn't hear all the time in school and that violence was nothing. They also said there was just little sexual discussion... Unfortunately, however, this is all wrong. First of all, I do hear cuss words all day long at school, but it is just dispicable how many times they use the f word in the movie... The editor must have put the f word in every possible space he could in the script because it is used to describe everything... And after a while, THE EXTREMELY CONSTANT F WORDS BECOME VERY ANNOYING. Secondly, the violence wasnt just regular explosions and shooting... People literally exploded and parts of their skin would fly on the camera or on the ground. Also, THE PARTS SHOWING DEAD ALIENS BEING DISECTED WAS NOT ONLY GRAPHIC BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! It even shows a scientist stretching out the bleeding, oozing skin while it rips apart. And finally, the last point I will touch upon is the sexual references... IT IS NOT JUST DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL CONTENT... BUT ALSO NASTY DISCUSSION OF HUMANS' SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH ALIENS. And this appears several times in the story with lines such as "How'd you do it?" and "Did you have to wear a condom?". Ew, I mean that is EXTREMELY SICK AND TWISTED. So basically, this movie is not appropriate at all for teenagers, but for the older ones and adults... use caution. I personally would not recommend it for anyone due to the absolutely sick and graphic references. As a totally different note, it is a good, thought-provoking movie. I just do not think it is worth it....
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009

Adult Written byusagary August 22, 2009

This movie has more than just violence. Violence is targeted towards both humans and aliens. The humans are zapped with laser weapons which the aliens have brought to earth; it shows humans graphically blowing up with blood and guts flying everywhere. The aliens look kind of like animals (alas, they crave cat food) and act submissive. They're initially shown to be half starved when their space ship is opened up and appear to want to leave earth. Humans mercilessly beat them and kill them -- again graphically shown which may lead some younger viewers to think its ok to treat animals that way. There is a brief reference to prostitution (with aliens); also a news report in which a government agent is rumored to have contracted a disease from having sex with the aliens (again, aliens shown as animals these references have bestiality undertones). African gangsters trading weapons are not necessarily shown in a positive light but are shown in an aura of power and as they are the ones who pull the strings and have the power. The alien/Sci-fi nature of this movie may lure teens/parents with teens to see this but they should know in advance what they're getting in to.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

District 9

Although very non child friendly, District 9 is an amazing film full of action, suspense, and great acting. Again not good for kids but will definetly get someones attention.
Adult Written byJOKTS August 14, 2009

Important message; Far too violent and gory for kids

I wish I could take my kids to see a film that is such a powerful commentary on racism and prejudice, however District 9 is far too violent and gory for anyone under 15. I highly recommend it to adults and older teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCubusmybro October 20, 2009

Brilliant Movie, at least a hundred F-Words, but nothing you don't hear at your average middle school every day.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic September 9, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

Very violent. but other than that two words:FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byFlat Spin August 17, 2009

Great movie but extremely violent!

This is a classic SciFi film. It has a good message overall but it's an adult film all the way. It goes beyond people getting shot as it shows people exploding and being ripped apart. Not for the squeamish.
Adult Written byterra100 August 15, 2009

Only for adults, and even then ...

This is pure sci-fi, which means there are a lot of unanswered questions and adult twists and turns with grey choices. And for kids, that may be difficult to process. Without question, this is a VERY gory and violet film. VERY! As an adult, that was difficult for me. The language is mostly the F word a lot. The sexual mentions are filthy but not what I would consider to be graphic. The film is very adult oriented. If you don't like shaky camera-type work in films that are shot to look more documentary style, you won't like this film. Are there positive messages? Not really. You have to look deep. It's more of a reflection film that makes you think, through the metaphors presented in the story, what kind of people we are and how we treat others. Are we guilty of doing the same things to real humans that we see being done to aliens in this film? How do we treat others around us? Are we so selfish, greed oriented, and domineering that we are willing to disregard humanity and humane treatment of others to just fulfill our own interests? Our society is increasingly this way, and we're not just talking about apartheid. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the theater with anyone under 21 for this film -- it's that strong. However, kudos to Peter Jackson. It is a truly original, amazing piece of sci-fi art. Like the critics say, this film has enough twists and turns in it to keep you interested until the closing credits. Very few films, especially sci-fi action films can do that these days.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarilynMansonFan September 5, 2009

Absoultley amazing.

Given the extreme violence, I would usually rate this a 15+, but the direction, symbolism, and message are so absolutley amazing that I reccomend it regardless of age. However, those under 13 may not understand the implications of the context. It is an amazing sci-fi move representing the struggle of refugees throughout the world, and it is presented in such a way that it is truly eye-opening without being preachy. On top of that, it stands as a great action movie all its own, where the extreme battles are all the more meaningful as you develop an attachment to the main characters. That is what sets it apart from other summer blockbusters like GI Joe and Transformers. It all comes together and creates, what in this humble reviewer's opinion, amounts to no less than a masterpeice. GO SEE IT NOW
Adult Written byvader123 August 30, 2009

This movie is amazing but its much worse than what common sense says it is. Its a violent disturbing movie with limbs falling off, bodies exploding with much blood there is also torture, skin being ripped off, fingers being cut off and nails being ripped out. Swearing is constant but not the main problem here. This is an amazing film but for adults only
Parent of a 11 year old Written byDX316619 August 16, 2009

sick

I want to puke after seeing this. lots of f bombs 14 and up
Teen, 15 years old Written byRosenrott June 4, 2010

A very violent, but good movie

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this sci-fi film. From the physical and behavioral design of the aliens ("prawns"), to the development of the main character - I was completely drawn in. Before seeing this, you should know what you're getting in to. "Fook" is said so often that it's almost comical. There is some mention of sexual content (alien prostitution) that could be highly disturbing to some people. And, of course, the violence and gore. This movie doesn't leave much to the imagination. If you're the least bit queasy, you might want to avoid it. All of this aside, District 9 is a very powerful movie with a deep message that will be sure to leave an impression on you one way or another.
Adult Written bybeph September 19, 2009

mature content but great story

this was an outstanding film and was put together so well. definitely for a mature audience though. lots of gore and cursing which made me cringe a little. the story is really interesting and holds the viewers attention. the problems in the movie reflect the real world and the violence (while excluding alien & alien technology) real people face everyday and the struggles of some people in this world. it made me think of just how good we have it in America and thankful i dont have to live like that. it will remind you of the hate and violence people participate in all over the world. they did a good job snatching me in from the beginning and i felt real compassion and hate for the characters. excellent :)
Kid, 10 years old September 16, 2009

Great, great sci-fi flick!

This is a good Peter Jackson movie, set in Johannasberg, South Africa, the story sets around Wikus, who is infected by an alien liquid. This film has awesome affects, some blood and gore, very little sexual thiings, if you're older kids have seen Jackson's Lord of the Rings and King Kong, they're in for a ride.
Adult Written byashadoodle September 19, 2009

Fantastic movie for mature teens and adults.

This was an amazing movie, first off. Everything, story, effects, characters, were perfect. However, this movie includes a ton of violence, blood, sexual references, etc. In one part of the movie, the staff finds a house full of alien egg sacs and performs what they call an "abortion" by burning down the shack. Body parts are blown off and sometimes innocent "prawns" are killed by humans for the sake of science. This is a beautiful movie for matured teens and adults, but it's definitely not for children or the faint of heart.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 16, 2009

Amazing

This film was amazing. The action scenes were fantastic, but only second to the great story. I can't describe it in words. Go see this movie.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydavesteer December 24, 2009

Smart story, but full of gore

Great movie and very smart storyline. It will spark discussion and make people think. Plus, great special effects. All that said, it's full of gore and disgusting images. Not for the weak stomach.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum August 15, 2009

Infectious in a good way, but could be toxic for kids!

This is an awesome film, for mature teens and adults. It is extremely violent, tense, and disturbing almost entirely throughout. The messages are ultimately positive if you have the right context to think about the social and moral themes. It's rated 14A here in Canada, but I would not want a child under 16-ish to see it without a parent.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMichael Kilawa June 12, 2010

good for 12 and up!

I think district 9 is a fantastic movie I dont get the adults with the violence. The violence isn't that bad. I definetly think your twelve year old son can watch.