All member reviews for District 9

Sci-fi stunner is smart but gory; way too violent for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

WARNING: THE REVIEW DOES NOT EXPRESS VERY WELL HOW GROSS AND SICK THIS MOVIE CAN BE

I'm a pretty mature 15-year-old and I thought it'd be ok for me to watch this movie before. I finally convinced my parents to let me see this "R" movie. Before I watched the movie, I did check this review and thought the movie would be ok. I was thinking that the language was nothing I didn't hear all the time in school and that violence was nothing. They also said there was just little sexual discussion... Unfortunately, however, this is all wrong. First of all, I do hear cuss words all day long at school, but it is just dispicable how many times they use the f word in the movie... The editor must have put the f word in every possible space he could in the script because it is used to describe everything... And after a while, THE EXTREMELY CONSTANT F WORDS BECOME VERY ANNOYING. Secondly, the violence wasnt just regular explosions and shooting... People literally exploded and parts of their skin would fly on the camera or on the ground. Also, THE PARTS SHOWING DEAD ALIENS BEING DISECTED WAS NOT ONLY GRAPHIC BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! It even shows a scientist stretching out the bleeding, oozing skin while it rips apart. And finally, the last point I will touch upon is the sexual references... IT IS NOT JUST DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL CONTENT... BUT ALSO NASTY DISCUSSION OF HUMANS' SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH ALIENS. And this appears several times in the story with lines such as "How'd you do it?" and "Did you have to wear a condom?". Ew, I mean that is EXTREMELY SICK AND TWISTED. So basically, this movie is not appropriate at all for teenagers, but for the older ones and adults... use caution. I personally would not recommend it for anyone due to the absolutely sick and graphic references. As a totally different note, it is a good, thought-provoking movie. I just do not think it is worth it....
Adult Written byusagary August 22, 2009
This movie has more than just violence. Violence is targeted towards both humans and aliens. The humans are zapped with laser weapons which the aliens have brought to earth; it shows humans graphically blowing up with blood and guts flying everywhere. The aliens look kind of like animals (alas, they crave cat food) and act submissive. They're initially shown to be half starved when their space ship is opened up and appear to want to leave earth. Humans mercilessly beat them and kill them -- again graphically shown which may lead some younger viewers to think its ok to treat animals that way. There is a brief reference to prostitution (with aliens); also a news report in which a government agent is rumored to have contracted a disease from having sex with the aliens (again, aliens shown as animals these references have bestiality undertones). African gangsters trading weapons are not necessarily shown in a positive light but are shown in an aura of power and as they are the ones who pull the strings and have the power. The alien/Sci-fi nature of this movie may lure teens/parents with teens to see this but they should know in advance what they're getting in to.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009
Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 May 21, 2014

Awesome.

I am a BIG fan of sic-if action thrillers, and this movie is by FAR the best sci if move EVER. The plot is genius, and the effects are amazing. Two things to worry about? The violence and gore, and the language. The movie says the f word every two seconds, and there are discussions about sexual retaliations between humans and aliens, and people making jokes like "did you wear a condom?" There is A LOT of violence, including firefights, aliens tearing limbs off, and weapons that explode full human beings. Almost all scenes have scenes with significant amounts of blood, which include experiments, surgeries, wounds, missing limbs, and guns that cause people too explode with blood, and skin. Overall, great movie, good for mature twelve year olds who can handle blood and ogre, and many dead things.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic September 9, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

Very violent. but other than that two words:FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 16, 2009

Amazing

This film was amazing. The action scenes were fantastic, but only second to the great story. I can't describe it in words. Go see this movie.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byweaselcsm January 2, 2011

Excellent movie if

Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 14, 2010

Excellent sci-fi thriller is one of the best films that I've ever seen!

I absolutely love this movie! it's one of the best that I have ever seen! The acting was surprisingly phenomonal (especially by newcomer Sharlto Copley), the action was unique and exciting (and also very bloody), and the story was, believe or not, original and thrilling! The effects were also top-notch and the pace felt just right. Parents: This is a very bloody movie with lots of gory sci-fi mayhem. There's also nonstop strong language and some aberrant sexual references. Bottom Line: An absolutely fantastic film that deserves just as much praise as any other of your favorites! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMichael Kilawa June 12, 2010

good for 12 and up!

I think district 9 is a fantastic movie I dont get the adults with the violence. The violence isn't that bad. I definetly think your twelve year old son can watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byL3HNZ August 18, 2009
Lots of F bombs and bloody violence, just as the MPAA states.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

A very smart sci-fi movie that's also tons of fun!

Lots of bloody sci-fi action, wonderfully written dialogue, and beautiful directing by Niell Blomkamp, this is a masterpiece! One of the best in the Sci-Fi genre! It has a very engaging story, good characters, and cool looking aliens! This is a Sci-Fi movie that sci-fi lovers should not be without!
Parent Written by@@@ December 21, 2011

**** Transformers. And all other action films except this one and a few others.

Far from perfect, but this is still one of the best action films ever. This is one of those action films where you actually need a brain to understand it, not like that bullcrap transformers or Mission Impossible, where it looks like some child wrote the stupid, mindless script. This movie has actual depth, not just a few boring action seqences held up by a meaningless, mindless script.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySturmgewehrz June 27, 2011

Assumptions

I watched this movie with my mom after she screened it, and I wondered, "Why the heck are you letting me watch this but you won't even screen Halo Reach for me?"
Parent of a 18 year old Written byMr. Luke November 14, 2010

Totally did NOT expect this! Fantastic!

I had heard that this movie sucked. I blew it off and didn't watch it until a few weeks ago. I had purposely avoided knowing any specifics about it so I would be surprised by it. And I WAS. It was a very refreshing movie after seeing all the unimaginative drivel coming from Hollywood recently. This movie was enthralling, thought-provoking, and visceral. There was a lot of foul language and tons of violence, but it was not excessive or extraneous, as it made sense being where it was. Not like some movies where they curse because they can or the violence is grotesque just for shock value. This was a dark and gripping tale of ostracism and survival. The weird sexual references felt a bit out of place but there wasn't much of that. This was by far the best movie I have seen this year, and I bought it today on Blu-ray. My wife won't watch it with me because she would find it offensive, but we generally avoid R rated movies so that makes sense.
Parent Written byspiritdancer May 19, 2010

Way too violent even for parents!

I absolutely think District 9 an other movies now-a-days are getting way too violent. I took District 9 an made a PG version by editing out all the gratuitous violence and cursing. The movie is still good. I think a lot of the young filmakers today just have less of a moral sense. They are more juvenile, less mature in their thinking. It's like a bunch of teen age boys took over hollywood and the adults let them because they think it will sell well to the other teenage boys. Personally I think a lot of these new filmmakers are mentally sick. But they get away with it as "filmmaking art" I am considering a campaign to take a full page ad out in the Hollywood reporter and Variety and ask holly wood to stop. The other thing they could do is release multiple rated versions of their films on Blue Ray. But will they do this? Probably not. I truly wonder how many of these morally bankrupt directors and writers would, if and when they had children, allow them to see any of their work. Having kids really puts things in perspective. Personally I think via movies and the reality of our society that our society is going the way of the Roman Empire. There is just way too much tolerance for violence and bad behavior. Now the bad guys are to cool ones etc. Just because you can show something graphically doesn't mean you have to. If it is really part of the story like Saving Private Ryan, that is one thing but usually it's just used to sell films and it's ruining our kids and it's making people indifferent to violence.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

District 9

Although very non child friendly, District 9 is an amazing film full of action, suspense, and great acting. Again not good for kids but will definetly get someones attention.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygjs September 4, 2009
Adult Written byvader123 August 30, 2009
This movie is amazing but its much worse than what common sense says it is. Its a violent disturbing movie with limbs falling off, bodies exploding with much blood there is also torture, skin being ripped off, fingers being cut off and nails being ripped out. Swearing is constant but not the main problem here. This is an amazing film but for adults only
Adult Written byJOKTS August 14, 2009

Important message; Far too violent and gory for kids

I wish I could take my kids to see a film that is such a powerful commentary on racism and prejudice, however District 9 is far too violent and gory for anyone under 15. I highly recommend it to adults and older teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCarolina Chuck January 25, 2016

District 9 is a very good Sci-fi action movie!

District 9 is a unique, original, brutal, and realistic sci-fi action movie. It's about aliens who come to Earth and are forced by the government to be put in a harsh environment called District 9. It is very violent, and people shoot others using human weapons and hi-tech alien weapons. The alien weapons make the people explode, but it looks exaggerated. The aliens could be scary, to some. The main character's arm is turned into an alien's arm, and when you first see it, it is very scary. There's also lots of language, so much that it gets annoying. Either way, it's a great movie from Peter Jackson, who did the classic Lord of the Rings movies. I would suggest watching it!