All parent member reviews for District 9

Parent of a 9, 10, and 17 year old Written bySteadFast Racing February 1, 2010

Epic alien battle... well, not really.

I heard a lot of hype about this movie and the end was the best... sadly it fell flat. Lots of cussing but that is a cultural thing in my opinion, recently I traveled to Ireland and wow, they curse there like nothing... even grandparents just drop f-bombs like its nothing. But that is something that would have to be explained in advance... there is one sexual aspect of the man having sex with an alien, its a magazine cover or article photo but its almost comical in nature because its so poorly portrayed (on purpose).
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybadapple001 April 12, 2010

Perfect for EVERYONE

Great movie. watched it with my 3 year old son. The next day he started screaming all the "bad"words from the film.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byrogerww1 August 23, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byncdayton September 1, 2009

Good lessons to learn

Liked it. If you pay attention there are some good lessons in it. It shows how "people" adapt to their enviroment and if you are different how you are treated. I went with my 13 year old and he pointed out things that he learned from the movie and related it to how he sees things.
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Don't let anyone see it.

This is such a terrible movie adults will not even want to see it. It is basically about a concentration camp filled with aliens that look like giant shrimp. The aliens act like typical losers who are intoxicated and behave badly.
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written bysaltwaterknitter April 8, 2010

Excellent sci-fi movie, for much older teens

I watched this with my thirteen year old daughter, and I wish I hadn't let her see it, which is hypocritical, because I could have stopped the dvd, but it was so good that I didn't. It is extremely and grotesquely violent, and profane, with the main character saying the f word a million times. But. It's really, really good. It's smart and original and a breath of fresh air. I didn't know what was going to happen in the next five minutes, let alone, how it was going to end. However, if I had watched it alone, first, which is what I usually do, before I let my kids see something, I absolutely would not have let them see it.
Parent of a 9, 14, and 17 year old Written byPatDaugherty February 4, 2010

perfact family movie if pre-screened and guidance provided for pre-teen.

Great film, be sure to point out to your family the slums used are as they are found in South Africa. We pre-screened it, then watched it with our 9 year old with warnings for the intense scenes, he loved it. The filmmakers were not out to raise tension, e.g. through ominous low end soundtrack tricks, etc. so it was not upsetting as many less gorey suspense films can be. I don't think this is inappropropriate for younger viewers if parents are there with them, the humour and good nature of the filmaker renders the gore and violence cartoonlike, not malevolent.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysimpsons123 September 27, 2009

Parent of a 10 year old Written bygjs September 4, 2009

Parent of a 15 year old Written byamanda33 August 31, 2009

Not as bad as everyone makes it sound.

District 9 was absolutely amazing. My son is 15 and the violence didn't bother him at all. He doesn't play a lot of violent video games or watch many violent movies so this was sort of new for him. D9 was bloody, but wasn't as violent as movies such as Taken or Transformers 2. I would only suggest this movie to mature teens that isn't grossed out by body parts or blood on the wall.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBuddyWeb August 22, 2009

Good sci fi for adults

Well written and acted movie. Kids would love the sci-fi elements, but it's really brutal in parts. Pretty dark stuff and realistic because of the way it was shot with news footage. Save it for the older kids.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 August 20, 2009

Great movie for 15 and up

Excellent movie with great message! Not as gory as I thought it would be after reading these reviews. It is much less violent/gory than saving private Ryan. Still not appropriate for those under 15 or those not used to such imagery.
Parent Written byPakistanPEGI December 21, 2014

16 and up

Bloody sci-fi movie only for older teens and adults. Intense Violence Bad Language(f--k,damn,sh-t,bitch,bastard) Sexual Themes Concept scenes of smoking
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 November 7, 2014

Sci-fi modern classic packs a punch

I've seen this movie twice now, mostly because I couldn't understand it the first time I saw it through the heavy accents. With captions on, I got more things I missed, and got to appreciate the astonishing special effects and the powerful script with lots of symbolism of how we treat foreigners. It's hard to believe it's been half a decade since "District 9" came out, but it's still wholly relevant and interesting, and good for a watch any day.
Adult Written byJester™ August 10, 2013

Extremely Violent, Original and Captivating Sci-Fi Film

To begin with, District 9 is an amazing film. It is a refreshingly new idea. Before i go any further, i must warn that this review contains (vague) SPOILERS. Unfortunately, such narrative brilliance is over-shadowed by extreme acts of violence and excessive swearing. Sex is not a major issue, there are a few references to "interspecies prostitution" and one, rather cheesy (it was more comical if serious) image of a fully clothed man behind an alien in the process of thrusting. Beyond that, there is nothing graphic in regards to sex and nudity. In the case of cursing, there are approximately 100 uses of the F-word as well as infrequent use of the s*it and other curse words. The F-word is the dominant curse word (and adjective!) in District 9. Now, the biggest issue of the film: violence. The violence is plentiful and gory, with humans and aliens alike exploding before your eyes. There is also one instance where a man gets his arm shot off and then crushed and another where you see a man's head explode and the blood splatter around his feet. The two executions of aliens in the film are probably the most distressing acts of violence being that they are killed without reason. Some of the gang members are also shown to be eating the raw, severed limbs of an alien (albeit very briefly). The viewer is also taken to an experimentation laboratory where aliens have been hung upside down, cut into pieces and a multitude of other grievous acts. The last 15 minutes of the movie is very action heavy with lots of shooting and one character having a large spike shot into their head before it detonates and their head explodes. Other disturbing, but not violent per se, scenes involve the ongoing transformation of a man into an alien and we see the exoskeleton slowly growing from beneath his skin, causing abnormal wounds to appear on his flesh. Two of his finger nails come off as well as a few teeth fall out. The verdict? District 9 is quite an amazing film that is original and keeps you entertained throughout the entire journey. That being said it is extremely violent and includes a lot of swearing. I can't actually say I recommend the movie because, due to the content, I don't recommend it to anyone. View at your discretion. (*NOTE* The Australian classification for District 9 is MA15+ for Strong Violence and Coarse Language) Jester's Rating: 8.5/10
Parent Written byspiritdancer May 19, 2010

Way too violent even for parents!

I absolutely think District 9 an other movies now-a-days are getting way too violent. I took District 9 an made a PG version by editing out all the gratuitous violence and cursing. The movie is still good. I think a lot of the young filmakers today just have less of a moral sense. They are more juvenile, less mature in their thinking. It's like a bunch of teen age boys took over hollywood and the adults let them because they think it will sell well to the other teenage boys. Personally I think a lot of these new filmmakers are mentally sick. But they get away with it as "filmmaking art" I am considering a campaign to take a full page ad out in the Hollywood reporter and Variety and ask holly wood to stop. The other thing they could do is release multiple rated versions of their films on Blue Ray. But will they do this? Probably not. I truly wonder how many of these morally bankrupt directors and writers would, if and when they had children, allow them to see any of their work. Having kids really puts things in perspective. Personally I think via movies and the reality of our society that our society is going the way of the Roman Empire. There is just way too much tolerance for violence and bad behavior. Now the bad guys are to cool ones etc. Just because you can show something graphically doesn't mean you have to. If it is really part of the story like Saving Private Ryan, that is one thing but usually it's just used to sell films and it's ruining our kids and it's making people indifferent to violence.
Adult Written bySummerLove555 February 15, 2010

Best alien movie ever made!

Great movie, but definitely not appropriate for children under 14 or 15.
Adult Written bygamenerd323 January 13, 2010

This movie was intense, smart, exciting and heart filled. You truly feel the aliens are people. And the language isn't horrible, although it is constant, it is fook, not f--k! And the movie is still fairly brutal though, there is blood and gore, but the is what the fast-forward button is for! And there are refrences to intersepcies prostitution, similar theme to beastuality! But young kids might not understand.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycWirtz December 27, 2009

Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2009

District 9

I very nice movie. I loved it from beginning to end. The acting is fabulous, and is packed full of great Sci-Fi action scenes. I wouldn't call it a comeplete masterpiece, but I definitely recommend this movie to ALL science fiction lovers.