All parent member reviews for District 9

Adult Written bySummerLove555 February 15, 2010

Best alien movie ever made!

Great movie, but definitely not appropriate for children under 14 or 15.
Parent of a 9, 14, and 17 year old Written byPatDaugherty February 4, 2010

perfact family movie if pre-screened and guidance provided for pre-teen.

Great film, be sure to point out to your family the slums used are as they are found in South Africa. We pre-screened it, then watched it with our 9 year old with warnings for the intense scenes, he loved it. The filmmakers were not out to raise tension, e.g. through ominous low end soundtrack tricks, etc. so it was not upsetting as many less gorey suspense films can be. I don't think this is inappropropriate for younger viewers if parents are there with them, the humour and good nature of the filmaker renders the gore and violence cartoonlike, not malevolent.
Parent of a 9, 10, and 17 year old Written bySteadFast Racing February 1, 2010

Epic alien battle... well, not really.

I heard a lot of hype about this movie and the end was the best... sadly it fell flat. Lots of cussing but that is a cultural thing in my opinion, recently I traveled to Ireland and wow, they curse there like nothing... even grandparents just drop f-bombs like its nothing. But that is something that would have to be explained in advance... there is one sexual aspect of the man having sex with an alien, its a magazine cover or article photo but its almost comical in nature because its so poorly portrayed (on purpose).
Adult Written bygamenerd323 January 13, 2010

This movie was intense, smart, exciting and heart filled. You truly feel the aliens are people. And the language isn't horrible, although it is constant, it is fook, not f--k! And the movie is still fairly brutal though, there is blood and gore, but the is what the fast-forward button is for! And there are refrences to intersepcies prostitution, similar theme to beastuality! But young kids might not understand.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bycWirtz December 27, 2009

Parent of a 2 year old Written bydavesteer December 24, 2009

Smart story, but full of gore

Great movie and very smart storyline. It will spark discussion and make people think. Plus, great special effects. All that said, it's full of gore and disgusting images. Not for the weak stomach.
Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2009

District 9

I very nice movie. I loved it from beginning to end. The acting is fabulous, and is packed full of great Sci-Fi action scenes. I wouldn't call it a comeplete masterpiece, but I definitely recommend this movie to ALL science fiction lovers.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysimpsons123 September 27, 2009

Adult Written bybeph September 19, 2009

mature content but great story

this was an outstanding film and was put together so well. definitely for a mature audience though. lots of gore and cursing which made me cringe a little. the story is really interesting and holds the viewers attention. the problems in the movie reflect the real world and the violence (while excluding alien & alien technology) real people face everyday and the struggles of some people in this world. it made me think of just how good we have it in America and thankful i dont have to live like that. it will remind you of the hate and violence people participate in all over the world. they did a good job snatching me in from the beginning and i felt real compassion and hate for the characters. excellent :)
Adult Written byashadoodle September 19, 2009

Fantastic movie for mature teens and adults.

This was an amazing movie, first off. Everything, story, effects, characters, were perfect. However, this movie includes a ton of violence, blood, sexual references, etc. In one part of the movie, the staff finds a house full of alien egg sacs and performs what they call an "abortion" by burning down the shack. Body parts are blown off and sometimes innocent "prawns" are killed by humans for the sake of science. This is a beautiful movie for matured teens and adults, but it's definitely not for children or the faint of heart.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro September 6, 2009

One of my favorite movies of the summer, but not for kids.

One of the best science-fiction thrillers I have seen in a long time. Smart story with interesting parallels to real life. Not for children under 16.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygjs September 4, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byncdayton September 1, 2009

Good lessons to learn

Liked it. If you pay attention there are some good lessons in it. It shows how "people" adapt to their enviroment and if you are different how you are treated. I went with my 13 year old and he pointed out things that he learned from the movie and related it to how he sees things.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byamanda33 August 31, 2009

Not as bad as everyone makes it sound.

District 9 was absolutely amazing. My son is 15 and the violence didn't bother him at all. He doesn't play a lot of violent video games or watch many violent movies so this was sort of new for him. D9 was bloody, but wasn't as violent as movies such as Taken or Transformers 2. I would only suggest this movie to mature teens that isn't grossed out by body parts or blood on the wall.
Educator Written byjennfox August 24, 2009

Yes, this movie has strong language. And it is NOT for immature teens without strong critical thinking skills. But, as a High School teacher, I firmly believe that the pros of the message FAR OUT-WEIGH the cons of the language and even violence. Racism, prejudice and oppression are REAL issues that include REAL violence and REAL foul language... because the movie focuses on a race that are "naturally" repugnant to many people, it has the ability to take the viewer to places that discussions and hypothetical "what ifs" can't. I feel this movie is an awesome discussion instigator for media savvy teens with strong critical thinking skills!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byrogerww1 August 23, 2009

Adult Written bygranpasteve August 22, 2009

This is deffinitely not a kid movie. You need to have the background history of apartied to understand the plot of the movie. It is deffinitely an adult movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byBuddyWeb August 22, 2009

Good sci fi for adults

Well written and acted movie. Kids would love the sci-fi elements, but it's really brutal in parts. Pretty dark stuff and realistic because of the way it was shot with news footage. Save it for the older kids.
Adult Written bywallyk2334 August 20, 2009

Great movie for 15 and up

Excellent movie with great message! Not as gory as I thought it would be after reading these reviews. It is much less violent/gory than saving private Ryan. Still not appropriate for those under 15 or those not used to such imagery.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byFlat Spin August 17, 2009

Great movie but extremely violent!

This is a classic SciFi film. It has a good message overall but it's an adult film all the way. It goes beyond people getting shot as it shows people exploding and being ripped apart. Not for the squeamish.