All parent member reviews for District 9

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro September 6, 2009

One of my favorite movies of the summer, but not for kids.

One of the best science-fiction thrillers I have seen in a long time. Smart story with interesting parallels to real life. Not for children under 16.
Educator Written byjennfox August 24, 2009

Yes, this movie has strong language. And it is NOT for immature teens without strong critical thinking skills. But, as a High School teacher, I firmly believe that the pros of the message FAR OUT-WEIGH the cons of the language and even violence. Racism, prejudice and oppression are REAL issues that include REAL violence and REAL foul language... because the movie focuses on a race that are "naturally" repugnant to many people, it has the ability to take the viewer to places that discussions and hypothetical "what ifs" can't. I feel this movie is an awesome discussion instigator for media savvy teens with strong critical thinking skills!
Adult Written bygranpasteve August 22, 2009

This is deffinitely not a kid movie. You need to have the background history of apartied to understand the plot of the movie. It is deffinitely an adult movie.
Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... August 15, 2009

Very Bloody, Sick Movie; Very Thought-Provoking. 17+

I was surprised that this movie didn't earn a "No Kids" from CSM. The amount of violence in this wasn't what was alarming, but how graphic it was. People literally disappeared with blood and guys flying everywhere, even on other people and the camera. Lots of people exploding with nothing left...no skeleton...nothing. This movie sickened me -- not the type that makes you want to throw up because of gore -- but because of what it showed in humanity. The brutality and just forcefulness was intense, and it really makes you think about things. There's lots of questions that it leaves, not so much about the movie (although there are those as well) but about how things really happen in the real world. Lots of ethical questions as to right and wrong, with no clear answer 99% of the time. There was a slightly disturbing sexual suggestion, but nothing over-the-top. My main problem with this movie is that it's really negative. I really, really stress that there are "No Positive Messages". There are no morals in it, it's every man for himself and everybody seems to be doing something for their own gain, without caring what happens along the way. Language didn't seem to be anything special, a couple f-words, usually used in streaks (I think he says the "f--k" about 8 times in a row at one point). I'm still not sure whether or not I like the movie. I'm still thinking about it all in my head (saw it about 6 or 7 hours ago) so my 3/5 stars is a "neutral" rating.