All parent member reviews for District 9

sick

I want to puke after seeing this. lots of f bombs 14 and up
Adult Written bydaniel.nicholas... August 15, 2009

Very Bloody, Sick Movie; Very Thought-Provoking. 17+

I was surprised that this movie didn't earn a "No Kids" from CSM. The amount of violence in this wasn't what was alarming, but how graphic it was. People literally disappeared with blood and guys flying everywhere, even on other people and the camera. Lots of people exploding with nothing left...no skeleton...nothing. This movie sickened me -- not the type that makes you want to throw up because of gore -- but because of what it showed in humanity. The brutality and just forcefulness was intense, and it really makes you think about things. There's lots of questions that it leaves, not so much about the movie (although there are those as well) but about how things really happen in the real world. Lots of ethical questions as to right and wrong, with no clear answer 99% of the time. There was a slightly disturbing sexual suggestion, but nothing over-the-top. My main problem with this movie is that it's really negative. I really, really stress that there are "No Positive Messages". There are no morals in it, it's every man for himself and everybody seems to be doing something for their own gain, without caring what happens along the way. Language didn't seem to be anything special, a couple f-words, usually used in streaks (I think he says the "f--k" about 8 times in a row at one point). I'm still not sure whether or not I like the movie. I'm still thinking about it all in my head (saw it about 6 or 7 hours ago) so my 3/5 stars is a "neutral" rating.
Adult Written byterra100 August 15, 2009

Only for adults, and even then ...

This is pure sci-fi, which means there are a lot of unanswered questions and adult twists and turns with grey choices. And for kids, that may be difficult to process. Without question, this is a VERY gory and violet film. VERY! As an adult, that was difficult for me. The language is mostly the F word a lot. The sexual mentions are filthy but not what I would consider to be graphic. The film is very adult oriented. If you don't like shaky camera-type work in films that are shot to look more documentary style, you won't like this film. Are there positive messages? Not really. You have to look deep. It's more of a reflection film that makes you think, through the metaphors presented in the story, what kind of people we are and how we treat others. Are we guilty of doing the same things to real humans that we see being done to aliens in this film? How do we treat others around us? Are we so selfish, greed oriented, and domineering that we are willing to disregard humanity and humane treatment of others to just fulfill our own interests? Our society is increasingly this way, and we're not just talking about apartheid. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the theater with anyone under 21 for this film -- it's that strong. However, kudos to Peter Jackson. It is a truly original, amazing piece of sci-fi art. Like the critics say, this film has enough twists and turns in it to keep you interested until the closing credits. Very few films, especially sci-fi action films can do that these days.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum August 15, 2009

Infectious in a good way, but could be toxic for kids!

This is an awesome film, for mature teens and adults. It is extremely violent, tense, and disturbing almost entirely throughout. The messages are ultimately positive if you have the right context to think about the social and moral themes. It's rated 14A here in Canada, but I would not want a child under 16-ish to see it without a parent.
Adult Written byMovie Man August 14, 2009

Absolutely Brilliant; An Original, Fantastic Sci-Fi Film!

This may be the best film of 2009 and one of the best films of the deacde. It's totally original with excellent story, characters, suspense, and action. For sci-fi fans, this is a must-see. For documentary fans, this is also a must see (but for those of you who don't like documentaries, do not fear! Only the first half-hour or so is almost full documentary, and it soon becomes a full-fledged film wiht only very few documentary pieces). For movie fans, this is a must-see. Get it yet? This is a MUST-SEE! It's brillinat, and, for action fans, there's plenty of cool, sci-fi action to please them! Parents: Although this is a great film, it is very gory and actually quite gross and disturbing. Torture, experimentation, and *SPOILERS* a man becoming an alien slowly over the course of the film (very gross and protracted) *SPOILERS ENDED* I highly, HIGHLY recommend this Oscar-worthy sci-fi film.