All member reviews for District 9

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

WARNING: THE REVIEW DOES NOT EXPRESS VERY WELL HOW GROSS AND SICK THIS MOVIE CAN BE

I'm a pretty mature 15-year-old and I thought it'd be ok for me to watch this movie before. I finally convinced my parents to let me see this "R" movie. Before I watched the movie, I did check this review and thought the movie would be ok. I was thinking that the language was nothing I didn't hear all the time in school and that violence was nothing. They also said there was just little sexual discussion... Unfortunately, however, this is all wrong. First of all, I do hear cuss words all day long at school, but it is just dispicable how many times they use the f word in the movie... The editor must have put the f word in every possible space he could in the script because it is used to describe everything... And after a while, THE EXTREMELY CONSTANT F WORDS BECOME VERY ANNOYING. Secondly, the violence wasnt just regular explosions and shooting... People literally exploded and parts of their skin would fly on the camera or on the ground. Also, THE PARTS SHOWING DEAD ALIENS BEING DISECTED WAS NOT ONLY GRAPHIC BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! It even shows a scientist stretching out the bleeding, oozing skin while it rips apart. And finally, the last point I will touch upon is the sexual references... IT IS NOT JUST DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL CONTENT... BUT ALSO NASTY DISCUSSION OF HUMANS' SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH ALIENS. And this appears several times in the story with lines such as "How'd you do it?" and "Did you have to wear a condom?". Ew, I mean that is EXTREMELY SICK AND TWISTED. So basically, this movie is not appropriate at all for teenagers, but for the older ones and adults... use caution. I personally would not recommend it for anyone due to the absolutely sick and graphic references. As a totally different note, it is a good, thought-provoking movie. I just do not think it is worth it....
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byKingturnip26 May 21, 2014

Awesome.

I am a BIG fan of sic-if action thrillers, and this movie is by FAR the best sci if move EVER. The plot is genius, and the effects are amazing. Two things to worry about? The violence and gore, and the language. The movie says the f word every two seconds, and there are discussions about sexual retaliations between humans and aliens, and people making jokes like "did you wear a condom?" There is A LOT of violence, including firefights, aliens tearing limbs off, and weapons that explode full human beings. Almost all scenes have scenes with significant amounts of blood, which include experiments, surgeries, wounds, missing limbs, and guns that cause people too explode with blood, and skin. Overall, great movie, good for mature twelve year olds who can handle blood and ogre, and many dead things.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic September 9, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

Very violent. but other than that two words:FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byL3HNZ August 18, 2009

Lots of F bombs and bloody violence, just as the MPAA states.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySturmgewehrz June 27, 2011

Assumptions

I watched this movie with my mom after she screened it, and I wondered, "Why the heck are you letting me watch this but you won't even screen Halo Reach for me?"
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

District 9

Although very non child friendly, District 9 is an amazing film full of action, suspense, and great acting. Again not good for kids but will definetly get someones attention.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 16, 2009

Amazing

This film was amazing. The action scenes were fantastic, but only second to the great story. I can't describe it in words. Go see this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOli75 March 27, 2015

Great film, compelling story (Spoilers)

Despite the violence, this film is definitely worth the watch. Aliens and humans alike are blown up by alien super-weapons, with blood and flesh beyond recognition spraying everywhere. (SPOILERS!!!) the human transition from human to alien of a character may be disturbing for some. Swearing is commonplace throughout the film, and references to 'inter species prostitution' are made. Overall though, this is a must see, especially for teenage boys and sci-fi fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrozenPyre March 14, 2015

One of the best movies ever made.

I felt like CommonSense's review was a little off, 4 out of 5 on violence? More like 6 out of 5. This movie is one of the most explicitly graphic movie I've ever seen, people are delimbled, shot, stabbed, exploded, ripped apart, and die in pretty much ever way possible. Aliens also are treated exeptionally cruelly, they are killed for no reason, are beaten, and are forced to move from their home. The most disturbing part of this movie is without a doubt a human who is transforming into an alien, and it is horrific to watch, his hand looks terrifying and at 1 part he attempts to cut it off. This movie has moderate language, expect an F-BOMB every 3 minutes or so. I think that this movie has some positive messages about xenophobia and racism, and could teach your kids a couple things. Be extremely cautious with any kid that is under 13 watching this, it might mess them up.
Kid, 8 years old February 15, 2015

Really good but extremely violent

This movie was really good but as I said it was very violent and bloody heads and bodies were exploded. The violence was not scary to me just one scary scene and lots of spattered blood; the violence was also very realistic. There was also constant swearing. The main thing you have to worry about is the violence and blood and gore. This movie also had a positive message about not treating people badly just because they are different. This movie was great and a little iffy for me. It was a very smart movie about Science. My rating R for: strong bloody violence pervasive language and some alcohol and drug use
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 26, 2014

One of the best sci-fi of all time

My rating:R for bloody violence,language,sexual situations and wounded sequences
Teen, 13 years old Written byde-cal November 10, 2014

Very good movie

Great movie if you are a mature teen 13 and over. There is violence and swearing, but it's done to further the story. It's contextual rather than gratuitous.
Teen, 17 years old Written byFat Lenny October 14, 2014

A thought-provoking future classic. Recommended for all mature teenagers.

District 9 confounded my expectations when I saw it first. I had expected it to just be a run-of-the-mill sci-fi movie, like half the science-fiction blockbusters these days. What I saw blew me away. District 9 is very different to your average sci-fi movie - the movie is largely character-based until the battle in the final act, it contains many powerful subtexts regarding prejudice and racism, and the story is told in an unconventional format. The movie begins in documentary format, and slowly progresses towards becoming in the style of a normal movie. The documentary style conveys an atmosphere of realism effectively, and creates a history for the setting rather than have the story happen without explanation. The plot is that aliens crash-landed in Johannesburg several years ago, and were confined by the South African government into a poverty-ridden shanty-town named "District 9". Several officials are hired to contain the aliens in District 9 and confiscate any dangerous technology or weapons, but when an officer named Wikus is sprayed with a black substance emitted from a piece of alien technology, he begins to transform into an alien. He becomes an outcast in society and government officials attempt to contain him, so he hides out in District 9 while he tries to find a cure for his transformation. The plot keeps you gripped the whole way through, and the tension and action are superb. The writing is obviously highly emotionally-charged, as the director, Neill Blomkamp, is South African, and decided to base the film on the Apartheid, which is shown through the degradation and cruelty the human characters show throughout the film to the "prawns". At times, the atrocities the aliens face are hard to watch (for example, the main character's introduction is him gleefully torching a room full of alien eggs), but the message shines even clearer due to the brutality. There are several negatives about the film, such as the story being left partially unresolved, and the dialogue being weak at times, but the positive far outweighs the negative. In a few years' time, District 9 will most likely be considered a sci-fi classic, and for good reason. Content-wise, District 9 is a strong movie. The violence often does not hold back, some of the most graphic scenes being a man being forced to shoot a defenseless alien against his will, (we see the alien explode into chunks) an alien gun that makes people explode into bloody chunks, (we see this happen several times, but the scenes are brief) a man having his arm blown off in an explosion, (his very bloody stump, as well as the severed arm are shown) sight of mutilated alien corpses which have obviously been used in cruel experiments, and distressing scenes of violence/cruelty towards aliens. None of the violence is lingered upon for too long, and it is not gratuitous. The language, however, is somewhat gratuitous. There are over 100 uses of the F-word, most of which are used by the main character, Wikus. There are no uses in a sexual context, it is mainly used in the expression "f**king". As there is little profanity in the first half of the film, the swearing becomes over-the-top in the second half, and somewhat detracts from the dialogue. There are a few uses of milder language, like "s**t" and "b***h", but the milder language is hard to notice due to the sheer amount of F-words. The word "c**t" is used twice by the main villain, but both uses are partially obscured. Sexual content is at a minimum - we hear one reference to prostitution and several references to a rumor about sexual activity with an alien (we briefly see a picture of a clothed man and an alien in an embrace with a black bar covering the lower half of the image). Substance use is very mild if present at all. There is some gore in the movie, which cannot be considered violence, per se. Wikus' transformation into an alien involves some gruesome images, such as images of him vomiting a black substance, and pulling off a fingernail. In one scene, he attempts to cut off his alien arm, but only manages to cut off one of his claws. (we see blood at the separation point) All in all, District 9 is an excellent movie, which should be seen by all teenagers with a mature point of view and who can handle very strong profanity and somewhat graphic violence. My rating: 14+ for frequent strong language, some bloody violence, distressing cruelty and moderate gore. Content out of 10: Sex: 3/10 - Violence: 8/10 - Language: 9/10 - Substances: 1/10
Teen, 15 years old Written byIonXtreme September 25, 2014

Great film; but very violent and somewhat of a swearfest

This film contains over 100 f-bombs and one use of the c-bomb. This film is one of the most violent films I have seen. And yet at the same time it is one of the best films I have ever seen. Sure, the violence can be a turn-off at times but at the same time the entire film backs up with a plot that can be emotional at times and very good. Does anyone know why Sharlto Copley is now a Hollywood star? Because his acting is great in this. So yeah. The only problems for parents is the excessive violence, strong language and probably frightening scenes. Id say about people who are 13 years old or something on that lines would be able to handle this film
Teen, 13 years old Written byHarvster5 September 3, 2014

Great Movie, But not Kid Friendly.

I loved this movie. But kids may get disturbed. A lot.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJacob Barrera February 7, 2014

Great Movie With Tons of Violence and Language.

This movie is brilliant, with an amazing story, great acting and amazing CGI. Please note that this film uses over 250 uses of F***. But they don't use it in an inappropriate matter. If I was in that situation I would curse a lot. The violence isn's as high as other R films, but pretty high. No sex what so ever. There is talk about female prostitution, and false claims about the main character having sexual activities with an alien. Really good movie. Recommend to mature 13 year olds and up.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBehindthescene November 24, 2013

Teamwork always pays off...

Brilliant! You've never seen a film like District 9. It is a thrilling as well as thought-provoking film that moves from shaky, sketchy documentary-style collection of footage seamlessly into full-blown sci-fi epic! The violence (violent content, I should say) is constant and often grotesque, but makes sense in the film's context and the handful of extremely graphic scenes are quick and relatively few. Language will be an issue to most parents, however, unless you really look for it, a lot of the strong language could easily be missed by most American viewers due to the cast's thick South-African accents and alien subtitles. For the amount of innovative, thought-provoking, thrilling, and just downright epic film you get with District 9, the missteps in content can (and maybe even should) be overlooked.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeymour Butts September 8, 2013

Common Sense Media is overreacting.

I loved this movie, and I saw it when I was 14, and I still am 14. Sure the movie is violent, and they say a lot of bad words, but that's the sort of stuff I'm okay with; the violence is just special effects and I know not to repeat the bad words.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymattguy15 July 28, 2013

district disturbing

really good movie but really violent some bad language and discussion's about a human having sex with an alien.