All member reviews for District 9

Sci-fi stunner is smart but gory; way too violent for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysgjohnson February 4, 2010

So RANDOM

When the movie started I was intrigued by the documentary-style film. I was expecting some amazing storyline topped off with amazing CGI. But 30 minutes in the format completely changed and the story begins dragging on and on and on. Also, so many f bombs were used that even though it was Christmas when I watched it, I went to bed with the heavily accented swear word ringing in my ear. If they had stayed on the same format, I would have enjoyed the movie more. I play GoW, so I didn't mind the violence. It was OK, but could have been way better.
Parent of a 9, 14, and 17 year old Written byPatDaugherty February 4, 2010

perfact family movie if pre-screened and guidance provided for pre-teen.

Great film, be sure to point out to your family the slums used are as they are found in South Africa. We pre-screened it, then watched it with our 9 year old with warnings for the intense scenes, he loved it. The filmmakers were not out to raise tension, e.g. through ominous low end soundtrack tricks, etc. so it was not upsetting as many less gorey suspense films can be. I don't think this is inappropropriate for younger viewers if parents are there with them, the humour and good nature of the filmaker renders the gore and violence cartoonlike, not malevolent.
Parent of a 9, 10, and 17 year old Written bySteadFast Racing February 1, 2010

Epic alien battle... well, not really.

I heard a lot of hype about this movie and the end was the best... sadly it fell flat. Lots of cussing but that is a cultural thing in my opinion, recently I traveled to Ireland and wow, they curse there like nothing... even grandparents just drop f-bombs like its nothing. But that is something that would have to be explained in advance... there is one sexual aspect of the man having sex with an alien, its a magazine cover or article photo but its almost comical in nature because its so poorly portrayed (on purpose).
Teen, 17 years old Written bySiliconBean January 29, 2010

If you're looking for something deeper, the movie isn't for you.

For the duration of this film, I was on the edge my seat....waiting for something to happen. I hated this movie, the plot bored me to death, and honestly, the action wasn't enough to make up for it. I kind of liked the anti-apartheid statements they were trying to make, and yet I think they could have done so much more with it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byYoda123 January 28, 2010

Not very good acting, ton's of language and very gory

This movie could have been a lot better, the actor's weren't very good IMO and they added a ton of language that really took away from the movie for me. I can understand the gore but so many f-bombs is pointless. The middle got fairly boring as they hadn't introduced the main character very well so you didn't care much about his personal struggles here. Nice climatic ending but with an f-word about every ten seconds for the last 20-30 minutes ruined it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykeener_17 January 28, 2010

BLAH!

I hated this movie. It was dumb and had to much blood and stuff. It could have been better if it had a better story line. Movies shouldn't have so many subtitles.
Teen, 15 years old Written bypowapwna94 January 25, 2010

Good movie

Good movie. Honestly the only time I noticed swearing in it was when the subtitles came up... other than that it was fook...
Adult Written bygamenerd323 January 13, 2010

This movie was intense, smart, exciting and heart filled. You truly feel the aliens are people. And the language isn't horrible, although it is constant, it is fook, not f--k! And the movie is still fairly brutal though, there is blood and gore, but the is what the fast-forward button is for! And there are refrences to intersepcies prostitution, similar theme to beastuality! But young kids might not understand.
Teen, 16 years old Written byshdady13 January 3, 2010

..........

it has lots of graphic violence but nothing that is actualy scary theres some swearing but not to much. its a great movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bykbauto94 January 3, 2010

review

i think its a great movie its just a little to graphic for younger kids
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2010

Parent of a 13 year old Written bycWirtz December 27, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byluke3854 December 26, 2009

12+ Little lang. and Blood

I liked the movie , there is some swearing but I personally do not care about that as long as your kids know not to talk like that.There is some gore but if you know that your kid can deal with it or not. My uncle gave this movie to me and I am 13 years old but i can deal with the blood and I dont go around my house cursing so as long as your kid is mature about everything this is a great family movie
Parent of a 2 year old Written bydavesteer December 24, 2009

Smart story, but full of gore

Great movie and very smart storyline. It will spark discussion and make people think. Plus, great special effects. All that said, it's full of gore and disgusting images. Not for the weak stomach.
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 December 22, 2009

Adults only.

1. The violence is around 16/17+ 2. The language is 18+ So, violence that is unsuitable for children under the age of 16 or 17 combined with language unsuitable for anyone 18 and under, this movie is definitely adults only.
Parent Written byPlague December 3, 2009

District 9

I very nice movie. I loved it from beginning to end. The acting is fabulous, and is packed full of great Sci-Fi action scenes. I wouldn't call it a comeplete masterpiece, but I definitely recommend this movie to ALL science fiction lovers.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhgirl1693 November 19, 2009

violence and swearing overshadows any message

the non stop violence and tribute to the f-word overshadow the pathetic love story and social commentary. about 30 mins in the explosions become boring and the most interesting thing to do is count how many times the f-word is used (i got to 58 in under 5 mins before that became boring too). the constant gore, including the main character vomiting black goo, loosing his finger nails, and cutting off his arm is too much to watch. i thought the movie was terrible.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythatkiduknow October 31, 2009

Fantastic movie, though language gets old quickly

District 9 was one of the best movies I have seen. The story was amazing and you deffinetly feel what the director is trying to say about equality and tolerence. For the first 45 minutes of the movie, the language was minimal, however, after the 45 minute mark the f words came about 8 per minute. I personally don't mind that, but I know a parent of say a 12 very well might and it also seemed to dumb down the movie. There was a good bit of blood but nothing over the top or absolutly disgusting. Overall it was a great movie that perhaps could have seemed more intelligent without the numerous f bombs.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCubusmybro October 20, 2009

Brilliant Movie, at least a hundred F-Words, but nothing you don't hear at your average middle school every day.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysimpsons123 September 27, 2009