All member reviews for District 9

Sci-fi stunner is smart but gory; way too violent for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHopefullyThisHelps April 9, 2010

WARNING: THE REVIEW DOES NOT EXPRESS VERY WELL HOW GROSS AND SICK THIS MOVIE CAN BE

I'm a pretty mature 15-year-old and I thought it'd be ok for me to watch this movie before. I finally convinced my parents to let me see this "R" movie. Before I watched the movie, I did check this review and thought the movie would be ok. I was thinking that the language was nothing I didn't hear all the time in school and that violence was nothing. They also said there was just little sexual discussion... Unfortunately, however, this is all wrong. First of all, I do hear cuss words all day long at school, but it is just dispicable how many times they use the f word in the movie... The editor must have put the f word in every possible space he could in the script because it is used to describe everything... And after a while, THE EXTREMELY CONSTANT F WORDS BECOME VERY ANNOYING. Secondly, the violence wasnt just regular explosions and shooting... People literally exploded and parts of their skin would fly on the camera or on the ground. Also, THE PARTS SHOWING DEAD ALIENS BEING DISECTED WAS NOT ONLY GRAPHIC BUT ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! It even shows a scientist stretching out the bleeding, oozing skin while it rips apart. And finally, the last point I will touch upon is the sexual references... IT IS NOT JUST DISCUSSION OF SEXUAL CONTENT... BUT ALSO NASTY DISCUSSION OF HUMANS' SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH ALIENS. And this appears several times in the story with lines such as "How'd you do it?" and "Did you have to wear a condom?". Ew, I mean that is EXTREMELY SICK AND TWISTED. So basically, this movie is not appropriate at all for teenagers, but for the older ones and adults... use caution. I personally would not recommend it for anyone due to the absolutely sick and graphic references. As a totally different note, it is a good, thought-provoking movie. I just do not think it is worth it....
Teen, 14 years old Written byMikaylaaMadisonn October 8, 2009

Adult Written byusagary August 22, 2009

This movie has more than just violence. Violence is targeted towards both humans and aliens. The humans are zapped with laser weapons which the aliens have brought to earth; it shows humans graphically blowing up with blood and guts flying everywhere. The aliens look kind of like animals (alas, they crave cat food) and act submissive. They're initially shown to be half starved when their space ship is opened up and appear to want to leave earth. Humans mercilessly beat them and kill them -- again graphically shown which may lead some younger viewers to think its ok to treat animals that way. There is a brief reference to prostitution (with aliens); also a news report in which a government agent is rumored to have contracted a disease from having sex with the aliens (again, aliens shown as animals these references have bestiality undertones). African gangsters trading weapons are not necessarily shown in a positive light but are shown in an aura of power and as they are the ones who pull the strings and have the power. The alien/Sci-fi nature of this movie may lure teens/parents with teens to see this but they should know in advance what they're getting in to.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic September 9, 2009

Best. Movie. Ever.

Very violent. but other than that two words:FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byL3HNZ August 18, 2009

Lots of F bombs and bloody violence, just as the MPAA states.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySturmgewehrz June 27, 2011

Assumptions

I watched this movie with my mom after she screened it, and I wondered, "Why the heck are you letting me watch this but you won't even screen Halo Reach for me?"
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 14, 2010

Excellent sci-fi thriller is one of the best films that I've ever seen!

I absolutely love this movie! it's one of the best that I have ever seen! The acting was surprisingly phenomonal (especially by newcomer Sharlto Copley), the action was unique and exciting (and also very bloody), and the story was, believe or not, original and thrilling! The effects were also top-notch and the pace felt just right. Parents: This is a very bloody movie with lots of gory sci-fi mayhem. There's also nonstop strong language and some aberrant sexual references. Bottom Line: An absolutely fantastic film that deserves just as much praise as any other of your favorites! Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Parent of a 17 year old Written byJesusrulz666 July 24, 2010

Nice Film

Great script. Very inappropriate language.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMichael Kilawa June 12, 2010

good for 12 and up!

I think district 9 is a fantastic movie I dont get the adults with the violence. The violence isn't that bad. I definetly think your twelve year old son can watch.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

District 9

Although very non child friendly, District 9 is an amazing film full of action, suspense, and great acting. Again not good for kids but will definetly get someones attention.
Adult Written byvader123 August 30, 2009

This movie is amazing but its much worse than what common sense says it is. Its a violent disturbing movie with limbs falling off, bodies exploding with much blood there is also torture, skin being ripped off, fingers being cut off and nails being ripped out. Swearing is constant but not the main problem here. This is an amazing film but for adults only
Teen, 13 years old Written byNapkap August 16, 2009

Amazing

This film was amazing. The action scenes were fantastic, but only second to the great story. I can't describe it in words. Go see this movie.
Adult Written byJOKTS August 14, 2009

Important message; Far too violent and gory for kids

I wish I could take my kids to see a film that is such a powerful commentary on racism and prejudice, however District 9 is far too violent and gory for anyone under 15. I highly recommend it to adults and older teens.
Parent of a 12, 14, and 16 year old Written bybrandonl April 24, 2015

Gritty sci-fi that's waaaay inappropriate for kids

District 9 is super gritty and violent, with a great deal of gang reference, government conspiracies, and bloodshed of both humans and aliens. There is also an overwhelming amount of language, including prolific use of the "f" word. As far as a sci-fi movie goes, it covers complex social issues that generally aren't addressed in this kind of film, is full of exciting science fiction tech and weapons, and totally engaging aliens. The special effects are believable, as is the acting and props.
Adult Written byfonzieg April 3, 2015

A very smart sci-fi movie that's also tons of fun!

Lots of bloody sci-fi action, wonderfully written dialogue, and beautiful directing by Niell Blomkamp, this is a masterpiece! One of the best in the Sci-Fi genre! It has a very engaging story, good characters, and cool looking aliens! This is a Sci-Fi movie that sci-fi lovers should not be without!
Teen, 15 years old Written byOli75 March 27, 2015

Great film, compelling story (Spoilers)

Despite the violence, this film is definitely worth the watch. Aliens and humans alike are blown up by alien super-weapons, with blood and flesh beyond recognition spraying everywhere. (SPOILERS!!!) the human transition from human to alien of a character may be disturbing for some. Swearing is commonplace throughout the film, and references to 'inter species prostitution' are made. Overall though, this is a must see, especially for teenage boys and sci-fi fans.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFrozenPyre March 14, 2015

One of the best movies ever made.

I felt like CommonSense's review was a little off, 4 out of 5 on violence? More like 6 out of 5. This movie is one of the most explicitly graphic movie I've ever seen, people are delimbled, shot, stabbed, exploded, ripped apart, and die in pretty much ever way possible. Aliens also are treated exeptionally cruelly, they are killed for no reason, are beaten, and are forced to move from their home. The most disturbing part of this movie is without a doubt a human who is transforming into an alien, and it is horrific to watch, his hand looks terrifying and at 1 part he attempts to cut it off. This movie has moderate language, expect an F-BOMB every 3 minutes or so. I think that this movie has some positive messages about xenophobia and racism, and could teach your kids a couple things. Be extremely cautious with any kid that is under 13 watching this, it might mess them up.
Parent Written byeddieandj February 20, 2015

its very gory

Kid, 8 years old February 15, 2015

Really good but extremely violent

This movie was really good but as I said it was very violent and bloody heads and bodies were exploded. The violence was not scary to me just one scary scene and lots of spattered blood; the violence was also very realistic. There was also constant swearing. The main thing you have to worry about is the violence and blood and gore. This movie also had a positive message about not treating people badly just because they are different. This movie was great and a little iffy for me. It was a very smart movie about Science. My rating R for: strong bloody violence pervasive language and some alcohol and drug use
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 26, 2014

One of the best sci-fi of all time

My rating:R for bloody violence,language,sexual situations and wounded sequences