Strong female character leads in violent dystopia.

Parent Written byhope2014 March 21, 2014

Violent

I have to say trying to stay within the "know" is becoming more challenging. Just sitting in a theatre watching PG13 trailer adds before a movie these days can send you and your child home with visual nightmares of perfectly computer generated monsters we know aren't real but stamped in our minds for later in your sleep, off that soap box, but for this movie, it really is different (less violent if you believe!) from the trilogy, however, don't kid yourself, plenty of girls fighting girls, boy vs girl, kids having to make unthinkable decisions in any human mind to kill there parents/siblings and village in order to survive and live by the path they are made to choose. And God forbid if your child is a dreamer and adapts to many things like a majority of us, the entire movie is about if you are a divergent you have to hide within or you will be murdered by the government and your peers and they will force you to hunt down your family and they die also. It is very disturbing. I don't understand this form of virtual new world. Needless to say the characters are played by great actors (a few are past soap opera actors) but definitely not what our kids need to see and watch for 2 hours of what really reminded me of I learned of concentration camps during history lessons of the holocaust. Oh and one line I thought was silly not to mention many others were "You seem depressed, lets go get tattoos!" Don't waste your time, I'm more worried about the graphical detailed violence my young teenager has read. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR KIDS DONT DROP THEM OFF AND LEAVE THEM WITH FRIENDS AT A MOVIE!!< GET A TICKET AND SIT WHERE THEY CAN'T SEE YOU IF YOU HAVE TOO! They may be upset with you for a while but they get over it!- I'm done
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... March 21, 2014

Tells the story but not greatly impacting

Took two 14 year olds to see it. Do not expect the raw emotion as in HG. It's 2hrs. 23 min. and doesn't need to be. Couldn't empathize with lead female character. Haven't read book. I asked my daughter if the female character was this less interesting and she said yes. I felt more for the lead male character as he had a background that he overcame which made him stronger and that came through in the movie. The movie didn't let you feel the desperation that each faction was going through. The movie felt more like you were watching the news. Did it tell the story? Yes...Did it get you emotionally invested? No. And I wish it had. Wait for DVD. There is a good 20 to 30 minutes of not much going that if you took a bathroom break you wouldn't have missed anything. Save yourself the money spent at the theater. It's too bad because it is a story about embracing our differences and it didn't do that job well. I can even take my 9 year old to see it ...but he is not allowed to see HG. That's the real difference.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byKent in Ventura March 24, 2014

Much to Discuss, but Rather Predictable Plot

Though there is plenty of action and a fair amount of violence, it isn't too graphic or too disturbing; some of the later Harry Potter films were more graphic. (Definitely PG13, though.) The arc of the plot and the outcome are fairly predictable. Other than the two leads, most of the characters are two-dimensional and underdeveloped. Beyond that, if your tween or teen is introspective and/or struggling to navigate school cliques, there is much to discuss: What factions are at your school? Which faction are you in? Did you choose it or was it assigned to you? What happens to the faction-less kids at your school? Would society really work better if everyone knew their place?
Educator and Parent Written byLibrary2468 March 22, 2014

The book was better, as usual.

I read the book before allowing my (mature) 11 year old to read it. There is one scene in the book that I was concerned about. The female lead is In a fear landscape and is concerned about having sex with the male lead. Other than that, just kissing. I wondered how they would portray that scene in the movie. I think they almost made it appear as if he was trying to rape her in the movie. I talked to my daughter about it afterward and she said that scene was weird. There is some violence, as the other reviewers have stated but it isn't too graphic. Very little swearing I enjoyed the movie. I wonder if viewers that haven't read the book will be able to understand the characters as well as those of us that have read it. Of course, I wondered the same about Hunger Games. Apparently, that wasn't a problem.
Kid, 12 years old February 22, 2014
The book was honestly the best book I have ever read. Like EVER. So if the movie follows the book it should be fine. Totally appropriate. However, the are very few scenes where Tris and four have "moments" if you know what I mean. For example, there is a scene where they say that they talked, dozed off, and kissed in fours bed, and Four is seen at one point being briefly drunk, and says "You look good." To Tris. They kiss in a couple moments in the book, which knowing the movie world, they will be sure to add in for some reason, and so if you dont like that dont watch it, and also there are some parts where there is violence, but not specific so maybe you need to see if your kid can handle it or not. Tris shows that she can be the better person in multiple scenes, and four tells her many good strategies to be the absolute best person possible. They show that being different isn't nesiccarily (sorry not the best speller)a bad thing. It in fact, makes you even better than you might have even thought you could be. They have funny, sad, happy, and adorable scenes, so If you'r 11 and up I think it should be a great movie to see with friends. Have fun!
Parent Written byNatureGurl March 23, 2014

Great Story for Teens

Many people say that this has too much violence. Every story has violence. There are deaths in here, but mature kids will be able to handle it. It isn't gory. The number of kids who read the Hunger Games is ridiculous. The Hunger Games is not appropriate at all. (Coming from a mom who won't let her kids read it.) Divergent is fine though. It is a great plot line and an overall great book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydoodlebuggy(: March 22, 2014

Fabulous movie adaptation, lives up to its name ♥

This was a GREAT movie. Before you think, "two hours long?!" I want to tell you that I did not fidget or think about the time AT ALL while watching it. I was totally absorbed in each moment. -MESSAGES: Tris and Four are the best two protagonists. They strive to fight for what they believe is right and support each other along the way. There is also great emphasis on the meaning of family. -VIOLENCE: Obviously, there's going to be lots of punching, kicking, shooting, stabbing. It's just the nature of the book and film. Some moments are more intense than others, and blood is visible on their bodies from wounds and such. There is mass-shooting of innocent people, close friends and family are killed, and they torture some of the initiates, which is why I put age 13+. Some kids can handle it better than others, surely. -ROMANCE: This could just be me, but I felt like they sexed up Tris a little bit. I mean I understand that Hollywood is about attracting the nicest looking actors and actresses, but I thought Tris's shirt was a little too revealing at times. And I thought Abnegations don't value self-image and such, but Tris was wearing a lot of eye makeup in the beginning of the movie, and she kept fixing her hair. Again, this could have just been me. :) And oh my goodness, Four and Tris!! Tris is afraid to go any further with Four, so they just kissed and hugged a lot, but passionately. -SWEARING: They say a**hole and b**** a couple times, but I thought it was pretty funny. They don't overdo it. -DRINKING: When they have a party after capture the flag, there's some drinking involved, but nobody gets drunk. It's very minimal. Overall, it was a fantastic movie itself, but compared to the book, there were a couple disappointing changes. Tris wasn't exactly short and clumsy as described in the books, there was no Uriah, the mom died differently, and so on. BUT, the acting was brilliant and some of the scenes brought me to tears. And the choreography, music, and special effects were great! LOVED IT! If you're a fan, you'll love it too ♥ p.s. Theo James is beautiful lol
Educator Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2014

amazing book to movie adaptation

DISCLAIMER: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. Wow is all I can say. It was very close to the book, there were small changes but that was to be expected. This movie does have a decent amount of violence, **SPOILERS AHEAD** Tris is kidnapped, both her parents die, she is forced to shoot her best friend, people are beat up in training and more. It is less violent then the book, and if you have read the book it will be fine. As for sexual content, Four removes his shirt and he and Tris kiss passionately, in Tris's fear landscape one of her fears is sex with Four. It shows him trying to remove her shirt, her stopping him, him pushing her on to the bed and kissing her neck, and then she knocks him out. As for language b-tch is said several times, also one use of a--hole. Tris is a great role model and has really inspired me. All in all Divergent is a great movie for 12 and up!
Teen, 16 years old Written bySosie98 April 13, 2014

A Disappointment for Fans of Roth's Novel

Divergent tried to take a leaf out of the Hunger Games' book, but it just didn't work out the same way. Sure, the movie was fine and better than the Percy Jackson film adaptation by any means (what isn't) but so many characters were understated and Tris' heroine qualities were all but stripped from her. Half the movie was Tris yelling "protect me Four" and minimal fighting ensuing with the other initiates due to Four's constant intervention. Shailene Woodley played an emotional Tris and I can't wait to see her in The Fault in Our Stars out later this year. However, the casting of Ansel Elgort as Caleb Prior (Tris' brother), when he is playing Augustus Waters (her love interest) in the Fault in Our Stars later this year was very poor. I felt Tris and her brother had more chemistry than she and Four. Half the time they looked like they were about to kiss! In summary, Tris was no Katniss Everdeen in this film adaptation. Hopefully they'll up the anty in Insurgent. Hopefully.
Parent Written byMovie editor April 22, 2014

I saw this movie twice

I think this was a very good movie. It corresponds with the book very well. It does have a some violence but not the whole movie. I would recommend this for no higher than 11 to 12
Teen, 13 years old Written bybethompa1 March 22, 2014

Heartfelt Adaptation of a Popular Teen Novel: Way Better than Twilight, Mortal Instruments, or Vampire Academy.

Yes, the idea won't appeal to all grown people. Most dystopia doesn't! While Four/Tobias tries to force Beatrice/Tris to have sex with her, she defends herself and there is nothing graphic. Frankly, there was a LOT less violence and sex than in the hunger games (both). This being said, many people close to the main character are killed. Not a lot of language or drinking, especially compared to most movies nowadays! Overall a great pick and definitely worth every dollar.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiggy12345 July 24, 2014

disappointing

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byCHRIS529 May 1, 2014

Way too much violence

Tris is the lead female character and does preset a good strong character but I don't think that one positive aspect outweighs all the negatives. I advise any parents considering this movie for their kids to preview the whole movie first.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 23, 2014

Thrilling, disturbing movie based on a book will entertain, even if viwers did not read the book

Even if I had not read the book, I still thoroughly enjoyed this movie. the dystopian society is easy to follow, and many of the action scenes are quite stunning. that said, there are quite a few intense and emotional scenes that make this film a better fit for older teens. people are shot, stabbed, and beaten throughout the movie. blood is shown, but only in quick flashes. the end of the movie features a brutal fight and a near massacre. there is brief kissing and one mild attempted rape. there is some salty language.
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Teen empowerment

Movie Title: Divergent Grade: B In a Nutshell: This planned trilogy is starting off with mixed reviews, despite its popular book by Veronica Roth. The Hunger Games and Twilight fans will enjoy another heroine who can kick butt and fight the system while finding time for romance. Shailene Woodley has been successful in supporting roles, but this is the first time her performance carries an entire film. I think the ideas are interesting and Director Neil Burger creates a dystopian setting that has holes, yet is still intriguing. Uplifting theme: Tris declares “Don’t try to define me.” The movie is about independent will and finding ourselves. Jeanine Mathews (Kate Winslet) explains “The system removes the threat of anyone practicing their independent will. Divergence threatens that system. It won’t be safe until they’re removed.” Teens often question where they belong, as if there is only one place that they have to find to be “home.” This film takes a stab at showing we are multidimensional creatures that need to dance on many floors in order to find balance. Things I liked: I’d love to play Capture the Flag with that glow-in-the-dark flag. How about playing Paint Ball with those guns that shoot darts that make you feel like you’ve been really shot? This movie is full of dangerous stunts that make you want to stand in line to try. For example, I love that gigantic zip-line that goes through the city. Do you think Universal Studios will build one if this movie does well enough? I won’t be jumping onto moving trains any time soon though. I thought it was interesting to watch the fears some of the characters had. Four explains that most people have 10-15 really bad fears. He has...four. When Tris can’t run away and her feet move slowly in mud during her “fear evasion” sequence, it reminded me that I had that same recurring dream when I was a little girl. It’s a terrible feeling to not be able to move forward, whether trying to escape danger or making progress on a goal. I thought it was an interesting concept that when people in the movie were injected with a certain serum that their thoughts could be controlled. Isn’t that called alcohol? I love Shailene’s thick, beautiful hair. Cool double infinity mirrors and other special effects. Who doesn’t love Ashey Judd? I’d like a blue jacket with the stylish neckline that Jeanine Mathews wears. Things I didn’t like: The ending was disappointingly predictable, but I haven’t read the books, so I’m hoping there are more interesting things to come. Many of the characters were one-dimensional. Those in the Dauntless faction run during most of the movie, yet they’re never out of breath. Tris tells Four “I don’t want to go too fast.” The very next thing you see is her in bed near him. Huh? Interesting lines: “My mother says there’s an art to losing yourself.” – Tris Tris sees the fear in Four’s eyes as they climb up and states “You’re afraid of heights.” He reveals “Everyone is afraid of something.” “Are you even human?” – Four says to Tris as he watches her climb a tower with ease. “This isn’t real.” What an empowering sentence you can say to yourself when you have fear. Courage is doing what you’re afraid to do. One of my favorite quotes by Franklin D. Roosevelt is “Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.” Later, Tris says “Don’t think. Just jump.” I’m wondering if we’ll see that tagline on basketball shoes soon? “I think human nature is the enemy.” Jeanine Matthews What a terrible thought. Human nature is what makes us all fantastically flawed, interesting, and wonderful. “There is a certain beauty in the resistance, but it’s a beauty we can’t afford.” – Jeanine Matthews In Divergent , kids who leave the nest aren’t allowed to go back. Thankfully, in our world they can. In this troubled economy, we’re seeing an increase in “Boomerang Kids” as college graduates return home to save money while trying to pay back student loans. How wonderful that families can pull together and embrace returning kids to get support. On another level, it’s a great thing that we CAN reinvent ourselves and not be pigeon-holed into one thing in our lives. “We train soldiers, not rebels.” – Eric “Trust the test; it will tell you where you belong.” – Tori Tips for parents: The language is clean, but there are a lot of dangerous stunts you may need to remind your kids NOT to try. An interesting dinner conversation with your family might be to ask everyone which faction they would want to join if they had to choose.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakef16 April 5, 2014

Fabulous

Divergent is a great book and movie about a 16 year old girl who lives in a system way different from our own. She has to go against society and be brave. It had a great message of standing up for yourself. The movie actually toned down the "eesh this is awkward" factor. There was way less blood then the book, less people died, and there was less adult "stuff". There were a few scenes that were a bit awkward to see with your mom, but nothing serious. Tris shows a great example for not wanting to go to far to fast. And Four shows young men how they should respond and act around young women. There are a few kissing scenes, one where Four is not wearing a shirt and they are "passionately" kissing. During Tris's stimulation Four approaches her and kisses her, then he slowly starts sliding his hand up her shirt. I admit as a 13 year old this made me uncomfortable. But Tris pushes him away, he pushes her on the bed and starts to kiss her neck passionately, but she attacks him and wakes up. None of this really happened, it was a dream pretty much, but its still an uncomfortable scene. It was suggestive and awkward but it shows no matter what, say no! There were a few bad words, but also some very funny scenes, I overall loved this movie! I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byKristin852 January 27, 2015

Great Movie

GO WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 27, 2014
Adult Written byTekman2014 March 24, 2014

The epic dystopian future on movie screens

This movie was an exceptional movie and is quite interesting for Tweens and teens. The only part that stuck me out was the movie missed some key detail. Reading the Divergent series I knew a lot of facts about the dystopian future world Beatrice Prior or Tris lived in. Knowing all these facts I can say the book explained more than the book. But, the movie was still pretty good and I enjoyed it. If you are parent who is concerned about language, it is mild in this movie. But they do mutter the b-tch and a-shole one or twice, but other then that mild profanities, but no other cusses listed above. The end had the most violence and was the most interesting was the end. Sex in this movie is not problem either. Just in one scene a boy and girl kiss a couple of times and move on. The Divergent book has constant kisses at the end of the story. I would have to say there is more kissing mentioned in the book rather in the movie. This was an ok movie. I had my hopes up higher but it is still exceptional is therefore for 12+