All member reviews for Doctor Dolittle (1967)

Animal-friendly, kid-friendly classic -- but dated.

Adult Written byBa movie girl April 2, 2011

better than the newer version

i loved it and i thought it was better than the new version a wonderful movie to see
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares April 9, 2009

Very dull, actually.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A wonderful movie!

A wonderful movie for all ages!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 13, 2012

doctor dolittle 1967

you notice? What was your reaction? Is the movie still enjoyable even with these elements? Do you think people still believe in these kinds of stereotypes? Talk about learning different languages (Dolittle knows 498), and use it as a jumping off point for encouraging language development in their own children. The film makes a plea for humans to treat each other with civility and kindness. How can your family encourage kindness? What steps can you take to make the world a more civil place?
Adult Written byLowe's man October 22, 2014

May or may not appeal to adults, but definitely for kids!

Mainstream critics didn't like this movie. For a long time I couldn't understand why. After all, when I was a teenager I was anxious to see it. I liked it then. When I saw it over a decade and a half later as an adult I felt differently. While I still thought that it was wholesome, I didn't think that the artistic quality was particularly good. The Catholic Conference, whose views I typically don't agree with, said in 1988, "Musical purists won't like it, but others, especially children, will." That sums it up. Those who haven't been exposed to many musicals will like this movie. Had I not seen so many musicals I'd still like this movie to this day. But, having seen numerous musicals, "Doctor Dolittle" is a pseudomusical. This movie would've been better if it had been either a complete musical or a complete nonmusical. But it won't make any difference to children. Plop it in for them and they'll love it. This version is far more appropriate for them than the newer version.