Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Doctor Strange

Mysticism, humor, and action surround unique Marvel hero.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byMeerkat.dog.yo November 12, 2016

Bloody, gruesome, occasionally gory make this film for teens +.

Do not be deceived by the main review. Doctor Strange is an amazing, effect-filled Marvel adventure, true. Although, this one comes with considerably more grit than previous hero flicks. With the opening scene containing a bloodless beheading, things get worse from there. An incredibly brutal car crash sends the main character flying and eventually lands in a seemingly excruciating position. A brief shot shows his mangled face covered with blood. However, the film then makes the viewer watch him being operated on, with metal rods sticking into his hand through to the bone, and a mask on his blood soaked face. Several more surgery scenes throughout the film, as Strange is fatally wounded by magical means more than once. Also, a main character suffers an incredible fall from a building an crashes through glass before hitting the ground, near death. She is then rushed to the hospital by Strange, and some gruesome shots of her blood covered face. She eventually dies. Strange is stabbed at one point, and stumbles around dripping blood. One surgery includes what looks like muscles being removed from Doctor Strange's hand. Also, lots of martial arts/magical combat throughout. As for Sex, just some light romance, and a mention of "sleeping together." Some swearing, done only occasionally by Doctor Strange, including: "s--t," "bulls--t," "a--hole," and "a--." In one scene beer in drank to excess. Overall, Doctor Strange is an amazing film with dazzling effects that your brave teens will love!

Parent of a 10, 13, and 15 year old Written byJOEKSU93 November 6, 2016

Action packed and funny! Special effects are mind blowing!

Movie has awesome special effects similar to a Harry Potter movie. Plot has many surprises and is funny throughout. Very suspenseful and action packed!

Parent Written bylucid_green June 18, 2019

Well worth the lessons

There may be some gruesome scenes and difficult scenes to stomach for dine children. This judgement isn't exactly an age-based assessment, as children differ greatly. So parental discretion is advised. Watch it first, as always, before deciding if your child is old enough.

Adult Written byWinterg April 18, 2019

A Different Kind Of Superhero

The opening scene eludes to beheading a man, other than that the movie is not remotely scary. I found the plot line interesting, unique, and different. I would say it acceptable for an 11 year old. I don’t remember it being remotely inappropriate with sex, drugs, or alcohol. Even swearing was minimum. The cinematography was visually pleasing.

Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byCarlos E. February 2, 2019

Sorcery and black magic

I haven't seen many reviews taking issue with the use of sorcery and black magic. Many families might not feel comfortable with that kind of imaginary and practices feeding their kids. As it turns out (spoiler) the hero of the film, is actually drawing her power from the dark side, but instead of being disqualified it turns out to be accepted by their followers once they have digested the news. I believe we are here away from the fantasy worlds of 'good' magic and myth à la Tolkien or Lewis, but with a rather more dangerous kind. There are also direct references to the sex life of Dr Strange with his girlfriend which is gratuitous and unnecessary in a kids film. Nothing is showed but it directly evoked.

Written byAnonymous November 21, 2018

The butt review

Doctor strange was a pretty good marvel movie. It has action and shows blood wounds when his car crashes. There is a bit of rude language
Parent of a 11 year old Written byBinge W. August 2, 2018

Violent scenes and scary moments still appeals to kids and family

My rating PG-13 for sci-fi action violence and language. Has a few violent scenes including fantasy combat and some scary creatures shown. Plus the S word is used in the language department.

Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byMeowstiic T. October 22, 2017

Got Boring Near the Middle

The effects are what this movie is known for, I think Cumberbatch was just fine. It's ok, nothing too iffy.

Parent Written byD B September 3, 2017

Too disturbing and dark for kids

This movie is pushing the limits of what's healthy for kids to be watching. Marvel is trying to tie it into the character movies so it will sell. I am very disappointed. I made my "tween" kids turn it off. It had various disturbing and inappropriate scenes. The movie was very dark in my opinion. In fact, I joined this forum just so I could post this review. It is sad that the movie industry keeps pushing more and more edgy stuff down our kids throats. We LOVE Marvel, but this was a big zero in my book.

Adult Written byMr Josh T. August 9, 2017

Many Positive messages to Doctor Strange

This film deals with a lot about how to find yourself again after huge trauma. Both Mentally and Physically. The idea that when the going gets tough and you have to face it that no one is ever ready to face their challenge that we don't get to choose our time but have to rise above for the greater good.

What I also thought was a nice thing to think about is that in reality theres a lot of us that think we or our students have to follow every rule but in the movie it talks about that in order to succeed sometimes one must break the rules in order to do and to serve the greater good.

The Ancient one being Stranges Mentor really has many lines that invokes thought and asks us some questions.

Theres is lots of fight scenes and one beheading but its very very brief and absolutely no blood or gore. One intense Crash sequence where Strange gets his hands crushed and his face all cut up.

Adult Written byThu L. July 22, 2017
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAly2017 December 31, 2016

A Different Type of Super Hero

Interesting story line and fun action scenes with a different kind of super hero who learns to use his "mind and spirit" over physical strength. Good character development but his depression and physical handicaps (including the physical disformation and scars) are disturbing for a younger audience. "Spiritual super powers" is an unsettling concept to me and how they try to intermingle this with modern science so I would avoid seeing this movie with a child who is easily impressionable. The main character and supporting doctor character's moral qualities to this movie are refreshing since their struggles are less typical to other super heroes but younger children may not understand these moral dilemmas. Overall a good movie but the heavy influence of modern new age concepts took away some enjoyment.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byJarrell B. December 14, 2016

Not for young kids

This wasn't your normal DC/Marvel movie. After reading reviews I thought it would be ok for my 4 & 6 yr old to watch. They've seen all the Marvel films & we do a good job discussing unsettling themes after movies. That being said, this film was weird & dark... even for me. (And I watch foreign horror films).
Violence:
There wasn't really a lot of violence. In fact it had less violence than your average Marvel movie. A beheading at the beginning only showed shadows, no blood. The car crash showed the car being flipped off a bridge and smashed up really bad, but other than seeing his hand getting smashed there wasn't anything bloody about it. His face is banged up really bad after & post surgery they show rods sticking out of his hands, but that's about it. A few stabbing, a woman falls through a glass, but not really violent. At the end there is a time loop & a guy dies over and over again in violent ways. this is only unsettling because of the way it's filmed. He's killed like 10 times in like 30 seconds, but it's just the looping of the deaths that makes it uncomfortable. If it had happened throughout the movie it wouldn't be a big deal.
Sexual themes:
There wasn't any risqué or sexual themes at all. There may have been a kiss, but that's it. No half naked women or people laying in bed together... nothing.
Themes:
The weird part was the dark forces existing in other realms, so to speak. It was a little demonic & very unsettling. Imagine if all the dark evil was combined into one being. Not a devil with a pitchfork, but the real source of evil being manifested in a source larger than the universe. That part was just weird & uncomfortable for me & my kids. There were scenes were spirits left bodies & interacted with each other. Another scene were a spirit is knocked out of someone and goes through this violent rollercoaster of time/space, as a voice over explains the complexity of reality & awakening the senses. It's just a weird kaleidoscope of shapes as he's thrown around violently.
Review:
No good fight scenes. No good humor. No fantastical imagery or cinematography. Story line was very basic. The story telling was not satisfying. It wasn't a good film & it wasn't good for my kids. I wouldn't bother watching it.
Adult Written byCastielFan December 4, 2016

DR STRANGE

seen it 2 days before Halloween and I love the film I like Ben(Sherlock,Smuag) did a great job keeping the role as DR Strange even theres little scary scene and Bad Guy Element

Parent of a 6 year old Written byGerald Z. December 4, 2016

All special effects. Disjointed. Ultimately disappointing.

Benedict Cumberbatch & Wong are well cast but the film plot is terribly chaotic. All special effects. Disjointed. Ultimately disappointing.
Adult Written byDr. Kendra S. November 25, 2016

Dr. Strange Review

I've been waiting for this movie for years. It didn't disappoint!
-Dr. Kendra Strange
@drkendrastrange drkendrastrange.com

Adult Written byKen A. November 24, 2016

One of the best superhero movies

I've been reading comics for 50 years. I have a collection of over 6000. I go to all the superhero movies. This is one of, if not THE, best of the genre.

Adult Written bymimijunebug November 24, 2016

incredible!!!!!!!!

most incredible movie ever great special affects if you haven't seen it yet go see it I'm sure you have time to see it 3 times before it leaves theaters

Parent Written byFanBoyJosh314 November 12, 2016

One of the better Marvel movies gets intense

The latest installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe centers on a character your kids may not have heard of prior to the release of this film: Doctor Stephen Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch), a once-brilliant surgeon who suffers a serious car accident and reinvents himself through mysticism and magic. Under the tutelage of the powerful Ancient One (Tilda Swinton), Doctor Strange becomes a warrior in a battle between good and evil that takes place across various dimensions. It’s as trippy as it sounds, with some seriously psychedelic imagery. But Doctor Strange also features the sort of pummeling hand-to-hand combat, weapons play and urban destruction you’ve come to expect in these effects-laden Marvel blockbusters. The crash that injures Doctor Strange is pretty gnarly. There’s some language but also a cheeky sense of humor throughout. And the ultimate, evil force Strange must face might look too frightening for younger viewers. It’s intense but also a lot of fun. I’d say this is OK for kids around 8-10 and older – especially if they’re familiar with the Marvel franchise.

Adult Written bychris d. November 9, 2016

Though it is not as good or action packed as others its good

OK this is a movie you're either gonna love or hate as a marvel movie its fun and funny but also kinda bland not alot going on compared to other marvel movies but still one of the best new action movies in awhile won't be disappointed by seeing it for sure