All member reviews for Double Indemnity

Dark, dialogue-heavy classic of grim suspense.

Adult Written byFilmNoir March 15, 2011

High school type of film

I really liked Double Indemnity, it's a work of genius, it takes the aspects of film noir and times them by 10, which is one of the reasons it is such an important part of noir history. It's based off the book that was written by by Cain, but at the time Cain was already working for a film studio, so Chandler, who wrote "The Big Sleep" worked with Billy Wilder to create the script for the film. They hated each other though, but it produced a wonderful movie nonetheless. The movie "Double Indemnity" takes the dark lighting to the extreme so that there are scenes where it is hard to see what is happening, but never too dark that you can't see at all. There isn't any violence or sex, but it is implied, you never actually see anything. It is fairly clean, but the story behind it is definitely for young adults, and not for children. I saw it in my Senior noir class a few weeks ago and, to quote my teacher, it is the "quintessential film noir".
Adult Written byVoiceofthekids April 9, 2008

Pretty cool

I think this movie was based on a book, im not sure but it must have been a killer story! I love how the story unfolds, but surly not a young childeren movie, 13+ i say.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymongofa February 12, 2011

best for young teens and up

This is Billy Wilder's first big movie and it's fantastic. It's dark and suspenseful. You wish that Fred MacMurray's character hadn't getten himself into the things he did because he seems like a nice guy. There are great plot twists. Barbara Stanwyck. Edward G Robinson and Fred MacMurray deliver great performances.
Adult Written bysarge123 October 2, 2015

Excellent but dark. 14+

Teen, 14 years old Written bykanelockwood73 August 28, 2015

Kudos to Billy Wilder

As I constantly watch movies, new and old, my favorite is often changing. However, as I write this review, Double Indemnity is my all-time favorite. *Spoilers Follow - Read at Your Own Risk* I discovered this movie when I was looking through lists of suggested movies; its subject matter - Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray), insurance agent, falls for Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), a woman who wants to kill her husband (Tom Powers) and get the insurance money - intrigued me, and I rented it off Netflix. I had high expectations, and they were thoroughly exceeded. As stated earlier, Walter falls for Phyllis, but instead of sobering up to the fact that she wants to murder her husband, he instead volunteers to assist. After the awful deed is done, a man at Walter's insurance company (played by Edward G. Robinson) gets a funny feeling about the murder and begins to investigate. Parents should know that the subject matter is a bit dark for kids under 12; Walter and Phyllis are trying to kill Phyllis' husband, after all, which most kids wouldn't understand unless they are mature enough. However, if you are 12+, I cannot recommend this great film highly enough.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 1, 2013

The noir that broke the mold!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and then I watched the special feature to it...and then I LOVED it. The detail made into this film, with its shadowy cinematography, crackerjack dialogue that inspires writers like myself leaves you with a renewed love for old Hollywood noirs like this one, featuring two strong anchoring leads and a refreshingly non-gangster role for Cagney! Movie buffs need to know this is a must-see!