All member reviews for Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!

Adorable 'toon fun for all, no matter how small.

Adult Written byrubylarkin April 9, 2008

disappointing

I realize that a book to film adaptation requires some "poetic license" but,to me, this was too much. My five year old was confused about what was happening in many scenes, especially Horton's determined trek to the top of the mountain. Horton turns into a japanese super hero...give me a break!! I overlooked the fact that Jim Carrey played Horton and I wished I hadn't. It's all about Jim Carrey... as usual. The vulture was scarry to my children.. and was there actually vulture in the book? I was hoping for sweet and innocent and got...very disappointing.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycrystalp April 9, 2008

Okay

I took my 5 and 7 year old children to see this movie, they enjoyed it, but I thought the movie had some inappropriate things for a G movie. I didn't appreciate the sarcasm from the characters and the way the mother kangaroo treated her child. I don't remember that being in the book, I think they took it too far. It was an okay movie, I won't buy it and I don't think it was worth the money I paid to see it.
Parent Written bymom2twogirls1boy July 24, 2009

Perfect for older kids, but not preschoolers.

This movie was ful of action, however I was unimpressed with the language for my daughters (4 and 20 months). While I was up and down chasing my 20 month old around (the movie definitely did not hold her attention after the first 20 minutes), I caught the use of the word "idiot" at least seven times before losing count. The word "boob" was also described in a degrading manner either to someone and/or about them. These are not words I would encourage my 4 year old to use. Also, some of the characters are menacing, scary, and downright rude, and my 4 year old hid her eyes several times throughout.
Kid, 12 years old November 8, 2009

A GREAT MOVIE THAT WILL MAKE LITTLE KIDS LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!!!

This movie is a very funny movie to watch with your family. Young children are garetied to like it. Even some adults will get atleast one laugh out of it. SOME MILD PERIL MAY BE SCARY FOR VERY YOUNG VIEWERS NOT FOR KIDS UNDER THE AGE OF 4.
Adult Written bymoviemadness August 12, 2011

Watch out for the Homeschooling Slam!

Horton Hears a Who is a brilliant adaptation of a classic kids book with one glaringly inappropriate feature: the homeschooling slam. The Kangaroo who "pouch-schools" her joey is portrayed as close minded, zealously trying to do harm, nasty, and arrogant. Homeschooling, is, therefore given this bent. As an adult homeschool graduate (and as a person) I find it extremely disturbing and inappropriate that this character has such a place in the film. An otherwise excellent movie was brought down a notch.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bySugarMamaJ June 15, 2011

Bad language

Over all, I was happy with the movie and my 3 and a half year old loves it. My biggest concern is foul language. The main review refers to it as "mild insults" but I think it's worse than that. The mayor is called a "boob", a "moron", and an "idiot". "Shut up" is also used. Those words are used repeatedly and it was the first time my son had heard those words. We hadn't even had the "bad word" discussion until he saw the movie. I had no other reservations about it though and I do let him watch it when he wants as long as I don't hear him repeating those words.
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011

Not My Favourite

Well, It isn't my favourite movie. But maybe for a small child(5,6,7).
Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byDebbie Nash August 22, 2010

I thought the language used by many of the characters was inappropriate for a 4 year old. We dont use "stupid" or "idiot" for example. Not great for role modeling.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byyogamomma February 13, 2010

Read the book instead

We watched this with our four year old and couldn't stand it. He didn't like it either. The language and attitudes are mean and spiteful. The "lynching" scene is just horrible and quite frightening for little ones. Read the book instead!

A pretty good movie

The only bad parts are when they try to boil the speck. They gab Horton with sticks and try to put him in a cage. It is a pretty good movie, but not a very good first movie for your child.
Kid, 5 years old May 13, 2012

We may finish watching this in a couple of years...

I watched half of this with my five year old and I thought the whole idea of the Whos' world being destroyed was a little dark and heavy for a preschooler (although I know it all ends happily). I also didn't see the point of featuring a dental office with horrible screams of pain, big needles etc. I also thought it odd that when the movie's villian, a scary, bone-knawing vulture, asked the mother kangaroo for her child in payment for going after Horton, she said she was considering it. I understand that way they slip dark humor geared towards adults into this type of movie to keep parents interested, but it has to be very subtly and carefully done. A preschooler that catches this comment won't get any humor out of it--only a dose of confusing darkness.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2011

A great family movie.

I liked it. SUPER FUNNY. It teaches lessons of looking at people in the inside, not outside.
Teen, 15 years old Written byholly525 March 11, 2011

AWESOME!

LOVE IT!! I asked for it for Christmas before I had even seen it and I was not disappointed. It kept me laughing from start to finish, and has great messages. I love that Horton won't deny what he knows is true even if his life is at stake.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2011

1 bad thing.

There is one bad thing... the evil vulture. Really a good movie. Iffy for 0+.
Kid, 8 years old December 30, 2010

I like this movie alot I just watched it in the car, I hope that everyone reading this review sees it I Like it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytangled October 10, 2010

Good movie, but one teensy thing I notiiced....

The mayor had dozens (forget actual number. Think it's 99.) of daughters and 1 son (Jo-jo.) As seen when the mayor is introduced you will see all his daughters waiting in line to talk to him for a few seconds each. Jojo on the other hand, gets all his father's attention. Even though he's the soon to-be mayor and he saves the day in the end, I sort of thought that the mayor was a) Choosing favorites or b) Is simply being sexist (they can be girl mayors.) Also, the villain is a lady too.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byS00zay July 9, 2010

I found the Kangaroo's behavior pretty abominable and my girls noticed! They went around mimicking her and speaking very unfriendly to each other afterward. I felt like the depiction of the cranky kangaroo ruined an otherwise cute movie.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 28, 2010

Both whimsical and heartwarming. The rare Dr. Seuss adaptation that stays true to the spirit of the source material.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymarierm April 9, 2008

7 year old loved it, 4 year old was scared

Good message overall, but the last 3/4 of the film is constant peril without a single comic break. My almost-5 year old was covering her head with her blanket most of the time and didn't understand the storyline, but my 7 year old loved it. I loved the end when Horton reaches out to the kangaroo despite what she's put him through. He teaches that kindness is always the best way, especially when we have the courage to be kind to those who have wronged us.