All member reviews for Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat

Too mature for the kids who are reading the book.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byadpace December 29, 2009

I sat down to watch this movie with my 6 year old and my 4 year old thinking a Dr. Seuss-based movie had to be great for the kids. I was so terribly wrong! Most of the nasty stuff went over my kids' heads (thankfully), but I almost turned it off anyway. It has so much crude humor, sexual references and language references that I could hardly believe this would be movie marketed to kids! I will never assume a movie is appropriate for my kids again regardless of how appropriate it may seem by the appearance. Personally, I wouldn't allow my kids to watch it even if they are bit older because there is very little positive I can say about it. Too much gratuitous junk in it. When I turn on a kid's movie, I expect it to be appropriate for them. :(
Adult Written byVix66 April 9, 2008

Not for my five year old

This movie only proved that I need to not trust the PG rating where my six year old is concerned, and need to do some research before I take him to a movie. A group of kids beat the Cat in the Hat with bats. The Cat in the Hat says "son of a ....". The Cat in the Hat takes aim at one child's head with said bat. The cat picks up a garden hoe and says "dirty ho". Then, just to further drive the point home for those of us who might have missed it, he calls it, "baby." This made my son look at me with wide-eyes. This is a terrible movie for any age. It's not funny even at an adult's level, and it's completely inappropriate for anyone under the age of 12, yet it doesn't have enough smarts or humor to keep anyone older than 8 interested. FLOP. I bet it'll make a ton of money.
Educator and Parent Written byMommyLove4Ever May 13, 2011

I HATE IT! I think Dr. Suess would roll over in his grave with this movie. It's a shame that a classic children's book has been made into garbage. Shame on Mike Myers for participating in this production! I thought my 7th grade students would like it, but it should not be shown in a 7th grade classroom. It promotes cursing, has a beer brand clearly shown, and has way too many perverted and sexual inuendos. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR KIDS OF ANY AGE!
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2011

the cat is in the hat

I love the movie i have it on vcr. i have been watching it about every night i think it is hilarious. i dont hink the language is crude or the humor. there are only two time when son of b**** was said and the dirty hoe part i think kids wouldnt know the difference. ohh and when he gets hit in the crotch. it was humor to ry and break a pinata. it is a great move i recommend it for ages 2-13
Parent of a 4, 9, and 11 year old Written byjohnthree16 March 12, 2011

Super for all the family

As I write this my almost 5 year old and her 9 and 11 year old brothers are watching it. I can hear the laughter almost continuously! I am very strict about the movies my kids watch. specially regarding violence. This is just plain funny. Yes there are some innuendoes but the younger kids just wont get it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCheetah-Licious0900 November 22, 2012

Want a reason?? Here's one!!

I do not think this movie is appropriate for any child because it may lead them into thinking the wrong thing. For example, your child hear's the Cat call the garden utensil a"dirty hoe." Then your child may go out into the world, not having any clue what a "dirty hoe" is, and say it to the wrong person and end up in serious trouble. There are many other reason's why your child (depending on the age) should not watch this movie. And this is only 1 reason, out of many.
Kid, 8 years old November 28, 2011

Cat in the Hat is not is not for young children

Inappropriate movie alert!!! This movie is PG but it should be PG - 13.A kid hit Cat in the privates with a baseball bat. Cat picks up a hoe and says to it "dirty h*e" Not a good movie for kids!!!( It's nothing like the book! I like the book better!)
Parent Written byembeau October 20, 2010

Disappointed at age inappropriateness of cat in hat

I think this movie is way beyond the scope of what anyone under the age of 8 should be seeing. I am not really a prude (my daughter started on Barbie DVD's at two and loved them), but this movie is NOT a cutesy "cat in the hat" show.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byRose Upstate NY November 3, 2009

I have never hated a movie till this one!

Even if you ignore the slaughter of a good book- this movie is disgusting. It has the humor level of drunk college men, but marketed for children? This movie does't have any redeeming qualities.
Adult Written bykirireeves April 9, 2008

I was prepared to hate it

I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll be seeing a lot of stupid children's movies for the next 15 years. And so I took my sons to see this with some resignation. But, it was actually palatable. It teaches some good lessons at the end, and Mike Meyers is very funny. I thought my toddler wouldn't be as interested as the older kids, but he loved it. There is enough shlap to appeal to the silly-loving toddler crowd. Luckily, most of the off-color jokes are subtle enough that the kids miss them, and the scary parts are pretty tame. A nice bit of fluff for the fam.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycoolface1597 September 21, 2014

Great film for the family, but not appropriate for younger kids

The Cat says lots of sexual jokes, including the dirty hoe joke. He is about to lick the hoe but gets interrupted by Conrad. He spells out s*** (Super Hydraulic Instant Transporter). He sees a picture of a woman and says Humana-humana-Humana. He is hit in the nuts by a baseball bat. There is an inappropriate line in the F U N song: There was this cat I knew, back where I was bred He never listened to a single thing his mother said He never used the litter box, he made a mess in the hall So they sent him to the vet to cut of both his boo-boo-boy! I think you all know what the boo-boo part is referring to.
Parent Written byItza January 7, 2014

It's fine because kids are supposed to be innocent at that age and not get it. If they understand the dirty jokes ...then keep an eye on them

I think i was in 4th grade when I watched this movie. Guess what? I never got any of the dirty jokes such as when the cat got a you know what when he saw the picture of conrad and sally's mom. I especially loved the part where he almost said "son of a -," I was really young, I knew what word he was supposed to say but I had common sense and knew right from wrong and never said it. I also never understood the "you dirty --" part. I thought it was just the gardening tool. anyways, the dirty jokes were subtle in my opinion. now I'm an adult and omigod i love this movie!! I think young innocent kids would enjoy this movie. My sister is 8 years old and does not understand the sexual innuendos or knows what a dirty H-- really is. she also knows never to say the B word. I highly recommend this movie for young children. It's funny! kids laugh at that kind of stuff with the farting noises etc. Parents need to relax a little more. This movie is not gonna corrupt your child. I don;t have kids but I got a sibling who's friends already tried talking to her about sex. As long as children's movies don't directly say things they shouldn't say in front of kids and keep it subtle, things should be fine.
Written byAnonymous February 5, 2013

Not for Kids PG-13 (Hard PG).

Sexual Content again and I saw this Movie when I was 16 Years Old. Not a PG Movie at all. I can't believe how much sex is put in this movie. A Lot of sex not for kids.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr. King December 20, 2012

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!

UGH! I really hate this movie! It's SO hard to believe that they would act vulgar in a movie based on a CHILLDRENS BOOK!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCoolGuy1000 April 26, 2012

Don't watch innapropiate

The movie is terrible! The part where he says I'll hit you and make look like a bloody accident! And when he says you son of a b****. And you dirty hoe. Dr Seuss was probably crying in heaven about how bad the movie is!
Teen, 15 years old Written bypatilly100 April 8, 2012

Trash!

If I could, I wouldn't even give this movie a one-star rating. We watched about the first five or ten minutes of it before ejecting it and destroying it. The Cat in the Hat was talking about how he had gotten spayed and neutered and held up a certificate of proof. And then, we got a screen-full of naked butt. DO NOT SEE THIS TRASHY MOVIE WITH YOUR KIDS NOR YOURSELF.
Parent Written by4thgradeteacher November 3, 2011

Disapproving Teacher

I was celebrating Dr. Seuss' birthday by showing this film during state testing week; as a break to us all. I could NOT believe all of the inappropriate remarks throughout this moving. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time as bad language and sexual induendoes rolled out of the mouth of Mike Myers. I had to explain to parents the reason why their children were coming home asking what a "dirty hoe'' was. They were asking me what it means. This is the 4th grade and they DO pick up on the "adult humor." I was SO disappointed that such a sweet children's book would be turned into a trashy film. The Grinch and Horton Hears a Who are SO much better.
Kid, 11 years old October 16, 2011

Loud, stupid, not for kids.

This movie is the absolute one of the worst ones I've ever seen. I mean, an AD FOR UNIVERSAL STUDIOS! Come on!
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2011

Ok But Swaring Bad

Its ok but does contain swar words such as Bloody,Piss and cat says about a mummy and daddy cat having sex so ill give it 11 and up
Adult Written byrabbithilldays April 9, 2008

Horrible Movie

The Dreamworks people should be shot for what they did to Cat in the Hat. You can definitely tell that Dr. Seuss is dead. It made me furious to watch this movie. It was inane, offensive and bad, bad, bad.