All member reviews for Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Black-comedy Kubrick classic has violence, dark themes.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 9, 2012

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb Review

Adult Written byJanus Bifrons April 9, 2008

One of the greatest black comedies of all time

Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieFan April 9, 2008

Is this supposed to be funny?!

Cause it's not. "Dr Strangelove is regarded as a black comedy classic (I love black comedy, don't get me wrong), but it does one thing wrong. It doesn't make you laugh. Oh, there are a couple of good moments, "gentleman, you can't fight in here, this is the war room" is a classic line. Peter Sellers playing three different characters holds no value to me. Kubrick's "Spartacus" is much better. (If you like this one, see other overrated movies like "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Maltese Falcon".
Teen, 15 years old Written byW0PR February 6, 2015

hilarious

one of my favorite movies. there is violence but the scene with the coca-cola machine and the war room fight make up for it. also it has Peter Selers who plays 3 different characters, 2 of which are in the same room at the same time. there is drinking and smoking just like any old film but nothing to worry about.
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2011

Average Kubrick Flick

Arguably the best black comedy ever made, another Stanley Kubrick classic still holds its place in the greatest and most influential films of all time for its original humor, relevant messages, and much more. There are some inappropriate parts, but only subliminally, not directly. The opening shot, the secretary in the bikini, the "playboy" magazine, even the DVD cover, etc. But kids won't notice or understand scenes like this. As with most Kubrick films, it depends on the person watching.
Adult Written byRJames18 February 11, 2016

The war and bombing

While watching the movie, the film was intense by the sound effects of the weapons shooting away and the explosion when it goes off, but some of the shootings sound like laser sounds and how the bomb goes off when the pilot was on tips of the bomb and riding it like his own bull, but the sound of the weapons were cool and some were lazer sound weapons. Although, it's really catchy of how the movie goes and the voice of the cowboy pilot sound like a red neck and funny.
Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2016

Dr Strangelove is a funny ride with memorable scenes and quotes as well as great acting.

Dr Strangelove is a black comedy about the Cold War. Peter Sellers plays three characters brilliantly- one an insane general who thinks communism is bad for the country's blood and has an insane plan to blow up the Soviet Union. The other is a soldier who is opposed to the general's plan. The last is Dr Strangelove himself- a Nazi who can't stop his hand shooting up to salute the Nazis. He keeps on trying to pull it back but can't stop himself. One especially funny and famous line is "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!" The end scene is very famous and quite funny, although I will not ruin it. Dr Strangelove is a funny, memorable film about the Cold War with great acting and one of the most famous lines in cinema history.
Adult Written by_03Littlebear12_ March 4, 2016
I would give this movie 2 star rating, because it wasn't so good at jokes or any funny humors. The movie is strange but it's pertaining to an even that almost happen in the U.S. The film did an okay job to get at. But overall the acting was good and fit the role but I still questioned why then mad scientist had no control his hand but control on the situation being done. I found out that one little mistake could lead up to a bigger situation and cause chaos.
Adult Written byQmorgan408 March 3, 2016

Strange Love

The movie itself is really boring and the fact is that you needed a certain type of understanding or humor to understand the movie and the lines of each character, this movie might've been popular back then but i guess you half be like 70 years old to understand the points of this movie and of course it'll make you laugh if you that certain humor but hey all in all this movie is still a movie, hope you families enjoy.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAbbysmiley February 25, 2016

BooOOOOooom!

Strange movie, everything is very stereotypical and over exaggerates things about the cold war. A very dramatized events happen throughout the film. About one song played over and over every time a hero stepped in the room. In the plane there was a lot of background noise emphasizing their on a plane. The machine guns were very accurate and realistic. When the film started it was a very up beat song, that song was very popular back in the cold war. I gave it a two because of the psychos in charge, and I didn't get some of the dialogue.
Adult Written byCheescake.eater2016 February 23, 2016

Any thing good

In this particular movie, the story is similar and ironic to the events of the previous war. But the roles of the characters were the most thrilling to have. It had me wanting to have more interest. The film was a bit more interesting of how the scenes were made in the movie. The villain wasn't quite the bad scientist that I expect to be so arm controlling and always in motion. The story line had not be so thrilling for the first time watching the movie. As the pieces that came together in one piece. The part where slim pinens had a good ride until the explosive went off. But as the scene had given a message that the United States wouldn't care about the bodies being killed but only about the damage that is done. Never good to almost press the button.
Adult Written byStudmuffinbenny February 15, 2016

You have to be older to understand the references.

I give this movie a 2/5 stars because it satisfied not one of my funny bones; not to mention the humor was childish and in my opinion dry. Joking around, in a movie, proposing we should just send all nukes in at once and destroy Communist Russia is nothing to be made fun of. The Cold War was pretty serious. Well, besides the fact of the war being serious; the movie may have just not been in my era...I do understand all of the references, but the movie almost solely made fun of American soldiers and leaders, although it made fun of the Communists just as much if not more. I have great respect for our military and this movie made fun of them too much for my liking. The film did have great sound qualities for the time; gunshots fired were very well simulated, and they almost sounded real. Also, the airplanes used in the movie were very good for their time. Besides the sound, the graphics and camera angles were done well. In the war room, camera and lighting styles were used to portray the right tone and attitude. The other notable camera angles and lighting shots used, were almost all in the cockpit with the pilots, or in the room with the General and the French man. Concluding, complimenting the sound and graphic styles is all I have to say that is good about the movie.
Adult Written byPastalover February 13, 2016

eeeehhhh...

I gave this movie 2 stars becaause Dr.Strangelove was a confusing movie. But the director was making fun of the bombing, president and everyone behind it. Although it took a while to make it's point I'd say I didn't really enjoy this movie. Making everything a little dramatic was funny. The same song kept playing when "the hero" would come onto the screen or it would just be complete silence. The point was to make fun of the bombing and cowboys I think the director did a pretty good job making sure the audience understood the comedy in the film. I also didnt get the thing with Strangelove & his arm?
Teen, 17 years old Written byKaylaat34 February 11, 2016
The movie was alright. I gave it 2 stars because I thought it wasn't really that amazing. Only certain parts were. Like the way the character's were speaking their accents. The General spoke like a madman, everytime something bad came up he would hurry up and make everything his business. Then he makes the President look like a sissy. (Excuse my French). And the Russian was alright, he spoke like he had secrets to hide. And the guy in the wheelchair, oh my, the way he spoke, annoyed me. They have a weird way of making fun of the government, the general, the Russians, and all that. The sound effect was alright. I like the way a music came on when the B52 bombers were in the air.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymhaven_10 February 11, 2016

Class review

I gave this movie a 3 star, over all it was a great movie. It made fun of communism and also America and Soviet Union. I didn't know much about the war back then, but I little I understand. The sound was okay.
Teen, 17 years old Written byAshleyLamo13 February 11, 2016

*Insert Gum Smacking Sound*

I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars because although it had a lot of funny points about the whole nuclear bomb dropping, it did have a bad way of showing it. I doooo love how it interprets all the generals' uneasy calmness, the pilot's patriotic and obedient ways, the nazi doctor's hand going willy hilly, and the president's clueless appearance.
Kid, 9 years old August 18, 2015

Controversial, but funny and well acted flick is among Stanley Kubrick's best.

Stanley Kubrick never did deliver, until this time, a full fledged comedy movie, as well as a movie without problems in the budget, scripts he didn't like; (Think, Spartacus), although throughout his movies we have seen touches of that, and by this time everyone saw it coming. One of his most controversial movies as well, although looking back to the likes of A Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket, both of which came later, stirred up some controversy with violence, dark movie aspects, sexual content and more, but this one actually captured a very, very real subject, sure, he made movies about war, but this was so current, and specific that it was a movie that in all probability, offended people. That took away some viewers, and maybe even some today, but this really isn't so controversial anymore, it's very clear the talent and the very apparent touch of Kubrick that is in all of his movies. It may be a sensitive topic still to some, but it's a really fantastic movie. The acting is superb, and this is one of the reasons it is regarded as some of Kubrick's best, if not the best. Also, the careful cinematography, and gargantuan scope and visuals, which usually aren't something I tend to care about, make it all the more fun to watch. And Kubrick must've been a very large fan of Peter Sellers, who alone plays three roles. They are all good, because there isn't a bad actor, sure, but there is one significant problem, which are the jokes. What this movie might not deserve is to be called one of the funniest movies ever made, and it's very funny, don't get me wrong, but it's clear that Stanley Kubrick may not have been the best for a significantly funny comedy, but for a first-timer, it'll only make it all the more impressive. For children, it's not completely safe, unfortunately. It's always a shame when those things plague such a great movie. So firstly, some children may be drawn away by how dark it is, and may not get some of the jokes, because they can be cultural, but for adults, it's so general that it becomes reasonably easy to understand. A bit of swearing but low, and also a bit of innuendo, but low, and some drinking. The biggest problem is how dark it is, however, and kids who will be urgent to watch it might not be by it's finale. But for adults, Kubrick is a genius in directing, and while it might not be as funny as it intends to be (it is really funny, though.), everything else is perfection. See it. -Movies0000
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 July 11, 2015

An instant classic.

Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is one of the best films of all time. Entertaining and Peter Sellers was a gem to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrainwolf_thunder June 22, 2015

Very Good Movie

There are no issues in this movie that may be inappropriate, unless you don't want your kid to see someone drinking a little alcohol. The only age issue is that some kids may not understand the movie because it is a satire and therefore requires a mature mind in order to grasp the meaning of said movie. There are some sexual references, however if a kid is young they aren't going to understand them anyway, and if they do then they have already been exposed to any material that may have been hidden from them by a sheltering parent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 18, 2015

One of best movies ever made!

But it objectifies women (people say so) and there's a lot of (comedic) talks about death, war and doomsday.