All member reviews for Drag Me to Hell

More scares than gore, but still too much for young kids.

Parent of a 6 and 14 year old Written bysmita67 April 28, 2013

Great movie!

First of all, 90% of the reviews on here are for the cinema one, not the 'unrated one', or the '15' rated one we have in england on dvd or in america on dvd. As this is the only version u can watch now you must know that this new version of the movie is too intense for anyone 13 or under. The sound effects are much, MUCH louder than the one in cinema, which makes the jump scenes all the more scarier! With more gore and violence restored, you should know that as per guidance, it would be an 'R', for strong bloody violence and terror throughout. The violence scenes are much more prolonged. Violence - During the gypsy's asault on the main character, in order to defend herself, Christine, uses a staple to staple her forehead and staple one of the gypsey's eyes closed. She also stabs her with a ruler straight down her neck, though the gypsy remains unaffected. Then, suddenly, Christine gets a nose bleed at work and srays/shoots out all over her bosses and collegues like a fountain. The nosebleed and blood that gushes from her mouth spraying her boss was momentarily very bloody but also somewhat fantastical and intentionally over the top. Another scene shows an elderly female attacker punching her hand into the young woman's mouth up to the upper forearm. Gore - The young woman subsequently manages to cut a rope holding an anchor up which lands on the older woman's head causing her eyeballs pop out and hit the young woman in the face and cover her face with gore, which must be the strongest scene throughout. Another scene shows a dead corpse of the gypsy falling on top of the woman and conincidently 'lip-locks' with her. Puss and puke falls into he mouth as she helplessly wriggles and tries to struggle free. Another has the old woman attack her whilst shes sleeping, in the struggle she vomits maggots, which fall into her mouth,nose and belly button. The majority of these very cut short or edited, however have been restored on the dvd version. If u are unsure wether to let your child watch it. The BBFC (british certification board) state that the cinema version is a '12', for moderate violence and intense supernatural horror. If u can find that version, then your child would be fine with it as it's more fantastical than horror. But the '15', is well out of bounds and is rated a 15 for 'Strong violence and horror' for a reason. No one under 13 for the dvd version.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydanielellarby July 12, 2011

Excellent movie

This film is an extremely entertaining film with a great and pretty actress in the main role. The plot is very imaginative, a little gory but disguised with humour. With great scares and good tension parts Drag Me To Hell is an excellent choice.
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2014

Drag Me To Hell: My Suggested Rating(s)

PLEASE NOTE: This review is for the UNRATED DIRECTOR'S CUT VERSION ON DVD! BBFC - 15: Contains strong horror and violence. AgeRatings4U (My Own Rating) - 15A: Contains strong threat, horror, violence, bloody scenes, language and infrequent moderate gore.
Kid, 12 years old January 31, 2015

This brilliant, original horror flick has some gore and a very creepy atmosphere. This is no Spider-Man movie!

Parents need to know that this film is not as disturbing as the title or the DVD cover makes it out to be. It is more-or-less, a horror-comedy flick. However, this doesn't make it age appropriate for children under 13. There are two gory scenes, which are both fairly funny but still not for the squeamish. Throughout the film, there is a tense and very creepy atmosphere, which also has very effective 'jump' moments. Another main issue is violence. There is a strong, violent sequence in a parking lot, which features (brutal) cartoony violence, but is NOT the kind of cartoony violence you get in Tom & Jerry or Scooby-Doo. Definitely not for children under 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypopstino September 25, 2012

HORRIBLE

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!! 1st of all it was gross. Eyes popping out of sockets, blood. While watching this movie it felt like i was watching one of the "scary movies" making fun of a movie. The acting was horrible, special effects were disgusting and unrealistic and the whole movie was STUPID!! i cant believe that anyone liked this......
Kid, 10 years old April 11, 2012

Don't piss old ladys off

I think it was a great horror movie. i think i should have waited a little longer before i saw it. OK for mature 12 to 13 year olds. I still wanted to see it though
Teen, 14 years old Written byxxhannahbriellexx November 25, 2010

don't waste your time watching this movie.

this movie has terrible effects, and it's crappy. don't waste your time. it was the worst 2 hours of me life. the blood looks like tomato juicee.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byerinmort December 16, 2009

really not for kids

definitely not a kids movie..... i admit i had nightmares
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity September 18, 2009

Drag me to this movie

Now THIS is horror done right. Sam Raimi still has the edge he had in films he directed before Spider-Man. This awesome film opens with a retro Universal logo. Then, a young boy who stole jewelry from a gypsy has weird visions and sounds that weren't there. He was then dragged to Hell by an unknown force. Fast forward 40 years. A loan officer named Christine refuses a request from a gypsy to extend her loan, so the gypsy puts a curse on her. Christine will be dragged to Hell in 3 days. After that scene, this film's pure camp. When I wasn't scared, I was laughing, both in anticipation of the next jump scene and at the hilarious one-liners and cheesy gore. In terms of content, there's only violence, horror, and some mild language. Yes, Drag Me To Hell is scary, but in a good, fun sort of way, just like the Evil Dead movies. If you or your kid is afraid of jump scenes, DO NOT TAKE THEM TO SEE THIS, because there are plenty. There's also a lot of gore for a PG-13 rated movie, but it looks fake and is played for comically cheesy effect, like when Christine has a massive nosebleed, covering her boss in blood from head to toe, and he asks "Did I get any in my mouth?" It's that kind of comic horror that appears in Drag Me To Hell. But there are some scenes that are devoid of such comedy. However, even then, the effect comes off as cheesy. Language is pretty mild for a PG-13, and so is sexual content. In short, see Drag Me To Hell if you want a good, fun scare. It's the perfect film for Halloween. And if you want more horror, check out the unrated version (when it comes out on DVD).
Adult Written bywonder dove June 16, 2009

A fun flick!

This movie was pretty good, but not great. It had its funny moments, but definitely was not scary. I would think anyone under 13 would be terrified, as some scenes go over board. I don't think anyone under 13 should see any kind of horror movie unless it's pathetically tame. This one is just a fun watch, and Alison is a terrific actress! Good watch if you like creepy/comedy type of horrors. 3.5 stars out of 5!
Adult Written byYldnole May 30, 2009

JUST OK.........

i was surprised how tame this was dispite the reviews. There are some good scares and overall it was fun to watch. The "twists" are fairly predictable and I think most kids in high school are ok to see this. Overall...I give it almost good....not great.
Kid, 12 years old March 18, 2014

More violent than scary.

WARNING: SPOILERS!!! I saw this movie when I was 11 and it wasn't that scary. A little to bloody and violent, cried in the scene when the cat was murdered. Okay for 13+
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2014
I have to say, this movie was very gross at times and made me sick. However, there is some comedy, and it does not have too much horror.For kids who can handle gross factors and some horror, this movie is not too bad.
Kid, 12 years old December 31, 2012

Be prepared to jump... ALOT

If you combine horror, suspense and some humour, you will end up with Drag Me To Hell, although the cover does look a tad disturbing, you have to watch it, its amazing. The plot is original and very creepy. The movie is mainly all about suspense and keeping you on the edge of your seat, but do be warned, there is some gore. However, they add so much CGI and blood that it doesn't even look that real. But all in all, if your looking for a film that will make you jump or you love horror this is a must. Its also good for beginners as its not over the top scary. Recommended to ages 12 and over! Im 12 by the way
Adult Written bytrvc27 November 30, 2012

Reality Hurts

I think that it sucks for a good life to be taken away like that, but hey- that's reality! So, we might as well deal with it! Capiche?
Teen, 13 years old Written bysimleyface August 29, 2012

Not as bad as the parents reviews make it out to be. No 13 year could ever find this scary

i think that this movie is not as bad as lots of the reviews make it out to be. all of the violence/gore is purely comic and is done for laughs. this film will not disturb anyone over the age of 12 because the horror is extremely unrealistic and cheesy. i think that if you want to show a child their first horror film,this film to show because the effects are so fake that it is comical- which i think is the point of the film. this film is very tame compared lots of the other horror films about, such as the saw films, final destination ect.and also i think that if parent stop child from seeing horror film( such as this one which is not very violent) then they will seek out some of the more gory and disturbing horror films. also then if children/teens are scared of this film then they known that they wont like other horror films as this films gore is pathetic. overall this is a very good, clever and has a brilliant ending. most teen and tween will enjoy it. also i dont see how a 13 year old can find this frightening.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybelieberr February 24, 2012

I'm pretty sure this was a comedy movie....
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 17, 2012

Silly horror movie chokes on it's own formula

Sam Raimi's Drag me to Hell was supposed to be his big comeback to the horror genre. A genre that, at the time, he had not revisited for about twelve years, since he had been so occupied with directing the morbidly successful Spider-Man franchise. Now, when Drag me to Hell came out in theaters in the summer of 2009, everybody thought it would be a big horror comeback, and a return to a genre that a director had so vigorously and effectively left his mark on with films like the Evil Dead Trilogy. But, to ever ones dissapointment, including mine, it turned out to be nothing more than a very, very goofy horror movie with a few effective jumps, and some Goosebumps style villains, peppered off with some rather grisly but fake horror imagery. So, with that being said, the PG-13 rating is actually more deserved than you would think, so that there is pretty well know reason what so ever here, to seek out an R Rating for the movie: There is very frequent and very grisly, but still, all the while, very cartoonish, comical and fake horror violence, which very rarely, actually manages to leave any real sort of impact on the viewer. Also, there is some infrequent and mild profanity, with the word hell being used obviously in the title, so one can expect more mild obscenities to go along with that, as well. So, if you still haven't seen this movie yet, I urge you to go and re-watch Raimi's Evil Dead films again. it will leave a higher impact on you than this movie did.
Parent Written bywrgtyp December 15, 2011

up all night

yo peeps there is ONE BIG thing that scared me. the main character knifes her KITTEN omg it even shows her barring it with its blood on her sleeve and a persons eyeballs pop out and a old lady gets a medal ruler stabbed in her throat. SPOILER ALERT the main charactor die at the end :0 :(
Teen, 13 years old Written byiluvtheexorcist33 November 23, 2011

it was okayy kinda spookyy :\

mehh