All member reviews for Duma

Enchanting coming-of-age story for kids.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byindividual1 July 30, 2009

Well told, highly engaging story, beautifully photographed

The movie is a well told story of childhood decision-making (kids don't always make the right choices, even if choosing to do something for the right reasons) set into a sometimes stunningly beautiful tour of South Africa. Directed by Carrol Ballard (who directed one of the most photographically beautiful film made in color, The Black Stallion), with excellent use of many familiar archetypes. My 8 year old boy was fully engaged and loved it. (note on my scoring: I indicate "educational" because with a good post-viewing discussion, there is much to learn).
Kid, 10 years old June 29, 2009

I love it

I love this
Parent of a 10 year old Written byNeecie24 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 5 year old Written byhuskylover June 5, 2010

e.g. Engaging story, refreshing film

We watched this for family movie night with our 5.5 year old son and 2 year old daughter- everyone enjoyed it (and it's not always easy to find one that's enjoyable for kids and tolerable for parents). Everything about it was great and engaging- my kids didn't find any of the scenes with the animal predators scary but I think the father's death be difficult for more sensitive kids and might merit some discussion with your child but otherwise I highly recommend the film.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byifch317 March 19, 2010

Great coming of age story

Great coming of age story with the elements of life that concern children rather than adolescents (animals, parents, adult friends as opposed to opposite sex attraction or peer pressure). Beautifully filmed. Scary parts (death of father, danger from lions, near death of a friend) are not graphic, but also are not glossed over.
Adult Written bywarreng8170 April 9, 2008

Parent Written bynmheller November 6, 2013

Parent of a 14 year old Written byWeeklybob February 13, 2012

Wonderful

Beutifully filmed, great story, great cinematography.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

Awesome

A fantastic movie that isn't known very well. A very sad movie as well
Parent Written byoes October 22, 2011

Simply kind movie/

I don't think that this film is a masterpiece of cinema. But it's full of kindness and love, and this is more important. The boy (even a boy – actor) will not be an egoist in future and bring a love to animals from his whole life. He was able to release cheeta at wild nature, thinking about his fate, and not about his attachment. I like the movie. But there is still a beautiful African legend why Cheetah black stripes of the eye. Save animals!
Kid, 7 years old September 24, 2011

perfect

a nice movie .My son loved it very much
Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2011

Great

Really good movie one of my favourites.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySapphire Fire August 10, 2009

Beautiful, Touching Portrayal of Growing Up

Duma is a touching tale about a boy learning to let his loved-ones go when they need to be. Set in gorgeous South-Africa, Duma takes you on a colorful and engaging journey about growing up- a very enchanting story.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byjackamers8 April 9, 2008

A Great Movie

This movie was great. It takes place in South Africa, where a boy lives out in the savannah with a cheetah which he and his dad picked up on the road. After the dad dies, the boy and his mother must move for more financial opportunities in the city, while still taking the cheetah, which by now has become mature. It one day escapes and police are called, and the boy finds the cheetah. Knowing that the cheetah will most certainly get put in the zoo, he decides to go out into the wild where he found the cheetah originally. I don't want to reveal the rest of the story as it will surely wreck it for people who want to see it, but the ending is something not to miss.