All member reviews for Edward Scissorhands

Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 26, 2011

Cool for watching around Halloween but any other time of the year works too.

Edward Scissor hands is a tale of Romance, Action, and absolute horror (that kids 10 and up can handle). An assortment of of bad words are said. Sexual scenes affect the way parents are looking at this. Theres one major scene that Mom and Dad will want to fast forward where a middle aged woman who was trying to help Edward start a buissness tries to take her top off in front of him, which I think she does but I don't remember. A lot of clevage is shown from her in that clip. The ending is bloody and sad.
Kid, 11 years old June 24, 2009

Possibly the perfect film! =D

I absolutely love this masterpiece by dark director Tim Burton. It has developed a cult following among older kids, and it remains a dark, romantic and deeply deeply moving lesson about accepting differences. I really cannot stress how incredible this film is... The acting is incredible, Johnny Depp plays a lost, frightened Edward so well that it seems real. The only concerns in this film for me would be sex, violence and themes. The stereotyping of suburbia could go over young children's heads, and the themes are often dark and sad, but it is great! The violence is often gory, but not TOOOOOOO bad... there's only two very bloody scenes. The sex, however, is different. There is references to rape, and Edward is seduced by Joyce. She climbs on top of him, exposes her bra, pushes his head into her breasts and they make out before the chair falls backwards. All of this is done in a comic but sexual manner, and for this reason I would reccomend it for OLDER children (10+) However, this is probably the perfect film: it has everything: drama, comedy, romance, horror, fantasy, action, everything. It's a bittersweet and lovely fable about trying to be accepted. It's beautiful, and I would give it 11 out of 10. A must see for EVERYONE!
Kid, 10 years old September 6, 2010

Perfect for tweens

It might creep kids out
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 12, 2011

nice tim burton

i wonder how he goes to the bathroom
Teen, 15 years old Written byParamoreFan09 December 3, 2011

I thought this was a scary film before I saw it, but it's really great.

Before watching Edward Scissorhands, I had already heard of it and seen references everywhere. I always thought Edward was bad, and that this was a scary movie. I was as far off as can be. When I watched it, I saw that this movie is perfectly fine, someone who hasn't seen it would expect it to be very violent (I mean, this guy has scissors for hands. You expect cuts, stabs, and blood everywhere), but it honestly isn't bad at all, and there is barely any violence. The stabbing scene isn't very graphic even, and it's all bad 1990s tomato red blood. Edward stabs someone in the end of the film as self defense and to save someone else, so it wasn't a horrific act of violence. Occasionally, Edward scratches his face, but you can't really see the wounds, they aren't bad and bleed a tiny bit, while he has many scars on his face from accidents. Edward accidentally cuts the face of his creator, and scratches the face of a little boy when pushing him out of the way of a fast moving car. The kid is frightened but not hurt seriously. He is also beaten with a metal stick thing (used by fireplaces) at the end, it looks like it hurts, but isn't anything parents need to worry about. That's it for violence, and it really is nothing to worry about. Edward gets drunk once after the dad gives him a drink after Edward gets frightened, and the 'bad guy' jock kids get drunk in a van later in the film. Sex wise, one of the townswomen takes down her top, revealing her bra and gets on top of a frightened and confused Edward, who runs away from the scene before anything can happen. The woman then wrongly accuses him of raping her. It isn't graphic, and that's all there is . Any other innuendo will go right over kids heads. As scary looking as he is, Edward is a kind person who is very misunderstood and gets his feelings hurt when people try to run away from him. People are afraid of him, but Edward gets scared when they scream and yell at him, it makes him want to hide. What nobody understands is although Edward is clueless about society, and his hands are weapons, he hates hurting people and he is capable of loving, even if his hands don't let him show it how he would like to. He speaks very little and is shy. Young kids might be scared Edward will hurt someone, but assure them nothing scary happens. You know your kids best, so it's your call what they can take. Most of the movie has a happy attitude as Edward makes topiaries and gives hair cuts in the cookie cutter, pastel suburban town. I really enjoyed this movie and I think other kids will to, as long as they understand the good message. Talk them through it and explain the situations shown if they are around ten, older kids will be able to understand it without much help. Enjoy this movie, it teaches what's really important in a person along with lighthearted humor, and emotional struggle, AND teenage romance. It has everything that makes a great movie!! Tim Burton continues to amaze me with his fascinating films.
Teen, 16 years old Written byVictorianGirl July 23, 2010

Brililant Satire, memorable cult-classic

interesting and origninal a look at how the world accepts--or doesn't accept-- the "Strange and unusual" as Burton's previous character Lydia Deetz put it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 21, 2009

Why do they have to add the silly little things?!

Without the language and the horrible sex scene, this movie would be wonderful. The movie is still good, but movie makers just put little things in there because they think adults will enjoy it more. Well, what about kids?
Teen, 16 years old Written byeight cow woman April 9, 2008

I absolutely love this movie i have since i was about four ( though i dont recomend parents to let kids that young watch it) it is so beutiful and stiring and yes, it is a bit of a chick flick, the music is superb the lessons well learned. it is an absolute MASTER PEACE
Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2014

Another Tim Burton masterpiece

This is one of my favorite Tim Burton movies (next to Batman). It has a good premise and one Johnny Depp's best performances. You should probably go check it out.
Kid, 12 years old January 29, 2011

This movie is great!! With no real purpose, Edward shows that beauty is on the inside and pretty much, haircutters are also pretty awesome.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirl4natwolff November 25, 2010

Good, and scaryish

I saw this at age seven. It's very violent and sexy. Yet, this should be the first"scary" movie. "Orphan" a little too scary for your 12-year-old? Edward Scissorhands is the answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 July 7, 2010

Go Edward!

I loved this movie! Except at the end. I almost cried! The part of the woman dancing on top of edward with a bra on I fast fowarded. Other than the violence and that one scene, I loved it! Edward is very nice because he has scissors for hands, but doesn't take advantage of it by hurting innocent people. the people in the town didn't realize it, which is sad :(
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byBriettaPolly May 18, 2015

Comedy, Fantasy, Drama, Romance, Action, Horror, Mystery, Tragedy

MAJESTIC & CREATIVE STORYLINE! Tim Burton's greatest masterpiece is all of the above! Every genre! As it shifts between different genres, it suits any type of person! POSITIVE MESSAGES: Don't be too naive. Don't give into peer pressure. Always do what's right, even if it means ratting out a friend or whatever else. Don't be afraid to show who you are. Be creative. Be unique. Also the concept of being misunderstood in life is probably very relatable. VIOLENCE: 2 deaths. 1 of natural causes & 1 of defense (fight to the death). ;Edward accidentally cuts & slashes people with his scissors. Some but not waay too much blood except for the fight to the death thing. SEXUAL CONTENT: A woman "approaches" Edward & leaves him in an awkward & confusing situation when she takes her top off revealing what looks like laungerie, lots of cleavage. It doesn't proceed any further. I suggest covering up your child's eyes at that scene. She then accuses him of rape. SWEARING: Quite a bit but not too much. B****, b*****d, d***, a**, h***, basic stuff like that. There also are some s**ts but no f***s. But what 11 yr old hasn't already heard of those words already? DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: I'm pretty sure there wasn't any drinking nor drugs. But there definitely was some smoking but it's the 1900s, what do you expect? Besides, it wasn't underage smoking. *FUNNIEST MOMENT* : When the police man shouted "drop your weapons!" t Edward SCISSORHANDS. Lmho. Overall, this was such a majestic & beautiful movie. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiamTheHuman April 25, 2015

great movie

this movie may seem dark and disturbing to some, but for me as a 13 year old found it a really thought provoking and awesome movie. since it's a tim burton movie, its bound to have some weirdness in it, which im not afraid to admit. but i wouldnt let that put you off the movie. the only quotable dodgy parts of the movie are an almost s*x scene but it ends before it escalates, and just a few minor cases of coarse language like the s word and the a word. theres also a few scenes with blood and cuts but these arent gory. there are two deaths, but theyre short and quick. other than those minor setbacks, Edward Scissorhands is a feel good movie and it kept me watching and i didnt really want it to end. so if u get the opportunity, watch the movie
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisumi April 4, 2015

good movie

This movie is really nice and emotional. There is some violence and one scene where there is almost sex though so be aware of that.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 January 17, 2015

This movie is fantastic but I would recommend it for teens due to one pretty dirty scene.

This is the best tim Burton movie I've seen by far but it is very depressing and did make me want to cry. I do have one warning though parents thear is a part where a woman takes edward into the back room of a hair cut place and she strips down to a brawl and is about to have sex with him but is stoped. She also says I've been waiting for this my entire life. There is also nude mannequins in the room so be careful mom and dad. And sorry I meant to type braw.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfruit loops May 29, 2014

a 16 year olds view

the movie is good I liked it because the music that played really helped show the emotions the message I got out of it was strong and a small problem in todays society but mainly found the teenage groups and that is we judge others before we be friends we think that person looks funny or that person is not up to date with fashion well who cares accept them for who they are not what you see
Kid, 9 years old April 10, 2014

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Really nice! Definitely for kids 8 or 9 and up!
Kid, 11 years old August 30, 2013

Okay for children 10 and up.

This is my absolute favorite movie. There is some mild language and a very small amount of language. There is some violence also. But it has a very good overall message about friendship and judgment.