All member reviews for Edward Scissorhands

Teen, 13 years old Written byrobinrunner March 26, 2011

Cool for watching around Halloween but any other time of the year works too.

Edward Scissor hands is a tale of Romance, Action, and absolute horror (that kids 10 and up can handle). An assortment of of bad words are said. Sexual scenes affect the way parents are looking at this. Theres one major scene that Mom and Dad will want to fast forward where a middle aged woman who was trying to help Edward start a buissness tries to take her top off in front of him, which I think she does but I don't remember. A lot of clevage is shown from her in that clip. The ending is bloody and sad.
Kid, 11 years old June 24, 2009

Possibly the perfect film! =D

I absolutely love this masterpiece by dark director Tim Burton. It has developed a cult following among older kids, and it remains a dark, romantic and deeply deeply moving lesson about accepting differences. I really cannot stress how incredible this film is... The acting is incredible, Johnny Depp plays a lost, frightened Edward so well that it seems real. The only concerns in this film for me would be sex, violence and themes. The stereotyping of suburbia could go over young children's heads, and the themes are often dark and sad, but it is great! The violence is often gory, but not TOOOOOOO bad... there's only two very bloody scenes. The sex, however, is different. There is references to rape, and Edward is seduced by Joyce. She climbs on top of him, exposes her bra, pushes his head into her breasts and they make out before the chair falls backwards. All of this is done in a comic but sexual manner, and for this reason I would reccomend it for OLDER children (10+) However, this is probably the perfect film: it has everything: drama, comedy, romance, horror, fantasy, action, everything. It's a bittersweet and lovely fable about trying to be accepted. It's beautiful, and I would give it 11 out of 10. A must see for EVERYONE!
Kid, 10 years old September 6, 2010

Perfect for tweens

It might creep kids out
Parent Written byshanerocks October 4, 2012

Excellent!

This movie is great! This is an excellent fiilm that should be seen by all older tweens to adults. Some Language, not too bad. Violence at the end. One suggestive scene, but nothing too bad.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 March 19, 2011

Good for teens

I really like this movie and I think it is a great movie for the teens. It is not appropriate for the younger kids because of the language and adult talk such as "sh*t" is said once, d*ck is said once, a character also says "he would give his left nut to see that" Ret*rded is also said and there is also talk of rape. Charaters are also seen smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. A women charater is also very flirtatious throught the movie and in one scene she takes her shirt off revealing her bra as she sits on Edward. There is also a bully in this movie who picks on Edward and there is a fight scene with a gruesome death. Overall this is a good movie but not for the younger veiwers.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 12, 2011

nice tim burton

i wonder how he goes to the bathroom
Adult Written bySarah Grace October 15, 2010

a message to all the people that feel alone, read my review...

Edward Scissorhands is a representation of goths and every person that feels the rejection of society. The story, being secular, holds no hope. At all. The beginning was sad and hopeless and it ended just the same, sad and hopeless. But, in reality, there is hope for the hopeless. That's Jesus. I think a lot of true goths turn to Satan and the occult to "feel" safe and hidden, when that is truly the MOST dangerous place to go. People that resemble goths in fashion, I'm sure, feel the same loneliness and isolation. But the ending DID hold one true element in the story. The girl couldn't rescue the boy, even though she loved him. Only Jesus can save people, but unfortunately a lot of the times rejected people do to God what people do to them - they reject Him.
Teen, 15 years old Written byParamoreFan09 December 3, 2011

I thought this was a scary film before I saw it, but it's really great.

Before watching Edward Scissorhands, I had already heard of it and seen references everywhere. I always thought Edward was bad, and that this was a scary movie. I was as far off as can be. When I watched it, I saw that this movie is perfectly fine, someone who hasn't seen it would expect it to be very violent (I mean, this guy has scissors for hands. You expect cuts, stabs, and blood everywhere), but it honestly isn't bad at all, and there is barely any violence. The stabbing scene isn't very graphic even, and it's all bad 1990s tomato red blood. Edward stabs someone in the end of the film as self defense and to save someone else, so it wasn't a horrific act of violence. Occasionally, Edward scratches his face, but you can't really see the wounds, they aren't bad and bleed a tiny bit, while he has many scars on his face from accidents. Edward accidentally cuts the face of his creator, and scratches the face of a little boy when pushing him out of the way of a fast moving car. The kid is frightened but not hurt seriously. He is also beaten with a metal stick thing (used by fireplaces) at the end, it looks like it hurts, but isn't anything parents need to worry about. That's it for violence, and it really is nothing to worry about. Edward gets drunk once after the dad gives him a drink after Edward gets frightened, and the 'bad guy' jock kids get drunk in a van later in the film. Sex wise, one of the townswomen takes down her top, revealing her bra and gets on top of a frightened and confused Edward, who runs away from the scene before anything can happen. The woman then wrongly accuses him of raping her. It isn't graphic, and that's all there is . Any other innuendo will go right over kids heads. As scary looking as he is, Edward is a kind person who is very misunderstood and gets his feelings hurt when people try to run away from him. People are afraid of him, but Edward gets scared when they scream and yell at him, it makes him want to hide. What nobody understands is although Edward is clueless about society, and his hands are weapons, he hates hurting people and he is capable of loving, even if his hands don't let him show it how he would like to. He speaks very little and is shy. Young kids might be scared Edward will hurt someone, but assure them nothing scary happens. You know your kids best, so it's your call what they can take. Most of the movie has a happy attitude as Edward makes topiaries and gives hair cuts in the cookie cutter, pastel suburban town. I really enjoyed this movie and I think other kids will to, as long as they understand the good message. Talk them through it and explain the situations shown if they are around ten, older kids will be able to understand it without much help. Enjoy this movie, it teaches what's really important in a person along with lighthearted humor, and emotional struggle, AND teenage romance. It has everything that makes a great movie!! Tim Burton continues to amaze me with his fascinating films.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS!

NOT FOR KIDS. A guy gets stabbed and killed in the chest and falls from a great height (MOST intense scene) A sex scene, though the people are both clothed.
Teen, 16 years old Written byVictorianGirl July 23, 2010

Brililant Satire, memorable cult-classic

interesting and origninal a look at how the world accepts--or doesn't accept-- the "Strange and unusual" as Burton's previous character Lydia Deetz put it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byeight cow woman April 9, 2008

I absolutely love this movie i have since i was about four ( though i dont recomend parents to let kids that young watch it) it is so beutiful and stiring and yes, it is a bit of a chick flick, the music is superb the lessons well learned. it is an absolute MASTER PEACE
Adult Written bymizundastood01 April 9, 2008

Living With Scissors

A man-made boy with scissors for hands and an unconventional fairytale; Edward Scissorhands could only have emerged from the weird and wacky mind of legendary cult director and auteur, Tim Burton. The narrative is based on one that we all know so well: Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl but, girl is in love with somebody else. Only this is no ordinary boy as Edward has lethal weapons instead of hands and comes from an old gothic castle atop a hill, where he lives in isolation. Edward is played by Johnny Depp (A Nightmare On Elm Street, Cry-Baby) and his portrayal of the outcast is spectacular. There is little dialogue for Depp and so like a silent movie actor, he conveys all of his feelings with facial expressions and the emotion in his eyes is intense. His heart-warming representation of society’s outsider reaches out to anyone who ever felt different as a teenager. Alongside the beautiful Winona Ryder (Beetle Juice) as Kim Boggs, Depp is the epitome of freakish; yet the on-screen couple are strangely cute together. Perhaps their wonderful on-screen chemistry emanates from the off-screen relationship that the two stars were having at the time the film was in production. Edward is rescued from his lonely life by an unlikely heroine. Avon lady Pegg Boggs played by Diane Wiest (The Lost Boys, Footloose) finds Edward physically and mentally scarred and living alone and so she decides to take him back to suburbia with her. Before life with the Boggs family Edward had no contact with the outside world. We are presented with flashbacks of his life with his father and inventor throughout the film; some of these reminiscent scenes are extremely touching as we discover that the inventor died before Edward was finished Burton’s take on American suburbia is extremely clever and witty. The pastel-coloured houses and over-the-top personalities that live in them provide an un-mistakable contrast to Edward’s appearance and his castle, which emphasises his status as society’s outsider to the audience. The film is packed with amusing moments as Edward fails to grasp the concept of suburbia and the references the residents make. Perhaps some of the most laugh-out-loud moments are when Edward tries to understand the waterbed, punctures it and then stems the flow of water with one of Kim’s teddies or when he persistently tries to pick up a single pea from his dinner plate with his scissors. The expression on his face during these sequences is priceless. Edwards’s child-like innocence in scenes like these is endearing. Composer Danny Elfman adds a sprinkle of magic to the narrative as his beautiful music creates a perfect atmosphere for each scene. The most powerful example that conveys the sheer brilliance that can be achieved when Burton and Elfman put their heads together is the aesthetically pleasing ice-angel sculpture sequence. The slow camera movements as Edward sculpts the ice-angel and Kim dances in the snow, combined with the hypnotising music creates a moving sequence worthy of being remembered in cinema history. Burton capsizes the audience’s expectations of a fairytale narrative in the final few scenes. We expect a conventional happy ending as Kim realises she loves Edward but, it’s clear everything won’t be chocolates and flowers as Kim says “Hold me” and Edward replies “I can’t.” The story then takes an emotional twist and many audience members will be left teary eyed. All-in-all, Edward Scissorhands is a wonderful film for all the family and will go down in history as one of Burton’s greats!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written bysassysas March 30, 2015

Creepy Halloween movie isn't just seasonal

As a mother of tweens, I'm always on the lookout for what new movies are newly appropriate, and seized upon Edward Scissorhands as a great oldie for the family. There was only one scene that I really worried about, where a woman around ten years older than Edward seduces him in her bra in the backroom of a hair salon. My kids merely said "gross", though, and forgot about it quickly. The ending is bloody and sad, but heartfelt, and the message "don't judge a book by its cover" is promoted all throughout the movie.
Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2014

Another Tim Burton masterpiece

This is one of my favorite Tim Burton movies (next to Batman). It has a good premise and one Johnny Depp's best performances. You should probably go check it out.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

very good

Parent Written byhonee841 January 27, 2012

the best

I LOVE THIS MOVIE WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!A LITTLE VIOLENT AND FUNNY .i say everone should watch it .
Kid, 12 years old January 29, 2011

This movie is great!! With no real purpose, Edward shows that beauty is on the inside and pretty much, haircutters are also pretty awesome.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirl4natwolff November 25, 2010

Good, and scaryish

I saw this at age seven. It's very violent and sexy. Yet, this should be the first"scary" movie. "Orphan" a little too scary for your 12-year-old? Edward Scissorhands is the answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilightgirl137 July 7, 2010

Go Edward!

I loved this movie! Except at the end. I almost cried! The part of the woman dancing on top of edward with a bra on I fast fowarded. Other than the violence and that one scene, I loved it! Edward is very nice because he has scissors for hands, but doesn't take advantage of it by hurting innocent people. the people in the town didn't realize it, which is sad :(
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 21, 2009

Why do they have to add the silly little things?!

Without the language and the horrible sex scene, this movie would be wonderful. The movie is still good, but movie makers just put little things in there because they think adults will enjoy it more. Well, what about kids?