All member reviews for Elf

Peppy holiday favorite for both kids and parents.

Adult Written byjkw April 9, 2008

I second the "not for toddlers"

I'd also heard this was suitable for toddlers, so my husband and I screened it. We're glad we checked first! It is a cute movie, but there is a lot there that our 3-year-old daughter could find disturbing, including trees catching on fire, multiple physical fights, and a lot of yelling/anger for confusing reasons. I'd say it is best for the 6-12 year old range with some parental explanations.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written byagency14 April 9, 2008

Not good for adoptive families

Very funny movie in many ways, and very enjoyable BUT a big warning to adoptive families: Buddy the elf goes off to NY to find his "real" dad, that being his biological father rather than the father who adopted him and raised him and is indeed his REAL father. Very problematic message for adoptive families or families with less traditional structures, who raise their children to understand that family is about love and who takes care of you, not biology. As much as I love this movie, it will be off limits to my son until he's much much older and more confident and comfortable with our adoptive family status.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 10, 10, and 17 year old Written byCharlie The Cat December 17, 2011

My Youngest Kid NO!!!

Perfect For My Other Kids it Made my 6, 7, 10, 10, and my 17 year old laugh.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byTwinMyself December 27, 2010

Hilarious.

Light hearted, easy family movie. Nothing inappropriate or uncomfortable for anyone. Just sit back and enjoy. You are guaranteed a laugh!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old November 28, 2011

Elf, an instant classic.

This is the best Christmas movie you will ever see I absolutely adored it! A instant funny classic for the whole family to enjoy. The only thing is minor ( And i mean minor.) swearing just something little kiddies should know isn't polite. But awesome movie overall
Teen, 13 years old Written byDMfanCassy August 31, 2011

VERRRRYYYY FUNNNY!!!!!

Great movie! But needed alittle less cussing.... But it would be a great Christmas movie!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byDr. Weird September 11, 2010

Good.

Messages and role models: Good. Violence: Minor Sex: A character is seen naked in the shower.
Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

Good for Eight and Up

Great movie, very funny! Unfortunately, some parts can get a little scary and Buddy's Dad not knowing about him may raise some questions in younger children.
Adult Written byhellomynameisgeorge November 27, 2010

OUTSTANDING
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byM382 November 26, 2010

4+ okay for family holiday movie

There's nothing to be alarmed about in this movie for kids ages 4 and up. Our boys really enjoyed it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byuncle joe December 21, 2011

Uncle Joe says hi

Kid, 12 years old December 16, 2011

Love it!

this is great my favorite part is when he walks around new york dressed as an elf
Parent Written bylilman11 January 10, 2011

i'm yored about the kids
Parent Written byPlague February 26, 2010

Elf

A cute and funny movie the whole family will enjoy. Especially during Christmas.
Kid, 10 years old August 18, 2011

Why Elf Is Great

'Elf' is a great movie for almost everybody. It does have some language, but not too much. And they aren't THAT bad. It has some vioelnce in it, but some children may find that funny or amusing. I think Buddy the Elf is a good role model because he's peppy and has a positive attitude. Usually after kids see a movie, they like to act like themain characterl if good things happened to them. So.. Buddy would be a good role model except for some of the language he used.
Kid, 11 years old December 6, 2012

best movie ever

buddy is da boss! the only reason i gave it 8+ is cuz there is one scene where buddy goes shopping and goes into the lingerine section, and ends up buying his dad a pajama bra (a bra with a translucent thingy hanging down from it. other than that itz fine for families ELF IS MUST SEE
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 10, 2012

Really good!

Very funny. Will have you laughing from start to finish.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byHOLLYWOODHILLSMOM April 23, 2010

Truly funny for parents and kids!

Our whole family loved watching this together. Absolutely nothing objectionable and so incredibly funny!
Parent Written byEnns Family November 11, 2009

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byellasmom36 December 19, 2008

LOVE IT!!!

I love this movie. It's so cute and funny. WARNING: it might make kids not believe in Santa. It's about an elf trying to find his dad in NYC. It has a great cast and is super funny!