Mature, visceral depiction of a turbulent reign.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydima April 9, 2008
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

Brilliant film, but for older teens and adults only

I tried showing this to my 12 year old: MISTAKE!! From the burning at the stake of 3 heretics in the opening scene, through the numerous beheadings and dismemberments soon to follow, this was NOT a movie for anyone without an extremely strong stomach. Brilliantly acted and with a gripping story, and a remarkable, real life heroine. it's worth waiting for, but not for youngsters.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark rose April 9, 2008

one of the best movies

i always ff the sexual content and the violence is not an issue for me. no swearing :-D i love this movie!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byAndy2000 September 8, 2014

A visceral renaissance drama

This is a brilliant movie! Mature 12 year olds can handle it. The only reason I rated it as iffy for 13 and younger was for its violence and sex, which I will mention later. Otherwise, it was an amazing movie. The historical facts are mostly correct. The settings are extremely detailed and large, indeed, awe-inspiring. The acting superb, especially from Cate Blanchett who (as another reviewer mentioned) seemed to be living out the experience of Elizabeth. The facial acting was amazing. The plot was interesting and engaging, if a bit over dramatic at times. Character development was limited, understandably, to the major characters. That should not be much of a complaint, though. The violence was intense - lots of blood and killing, though the battles are not shown until a camera sweeps over the bloody corpses. Depending on your kids you may or may not want to let the see that. In general 12+ have the stomach for it. If they've seen many war movies they should be okay with this. The other concern is that there are two graphic sex scenes. The first you here lots of noise until they're seen through a window and door. They are clothed. The other is with both characters naked, and you can see the full back of the man and the legs of the woman. The man is shown thrusting for several long seconds. Then the camera slides close beside the two, deliberately showing the woman's breast and nipple, breathing heavily. There is another scene in which the woman is topless aside from a see-through shirt. But otherwise it's great. Though there are heads on spikes and people burning at the stake and lots of blood and poison and slit throats. I know . . . it sounds bad but consider watching it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavispittman January 15, 2017

Mature look at Queen Elizabeth's ascendance to the throne

Parents must know that this film starts off first thing with a disturbing execution scene in which “heretics" are being burned alive. There are other violent upsetting images such as severed heads shown on spikes, and a dead woman's bloodied corpse. There are also several strong sex scenes, one including female breast nudity and male backside nudity, moans are heard and thrusting is seen. There is absolutely no profanity, other than hell in the context of religion. The acting is superb and the production design is great. This portrayal is realistic and accurate, it's very well made. It may bore some teens in some parts, but if your teen is 15 or older and is interested in history, then I suggest this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySeanE0226 April 25, 2016

Really Great Movie!

Honestly, i think this might be one of my favourite historical docu-dramas. There are some like, really sexual parts, but for a mature teenager of the age 14+ it shouldnt really be such a big deal. There is some very bloody parts but like i said some can get over it.
Kid, 12 years old March 24, 2015

Seriously? This is a very mild film

Sex seemed to me to be milder than in Titanic, violence much less gruesome than most other 'M' movies. Great movie too, appropriate for sensible young teens.
Kid, 10 years old March 2, 2014
I had to stop watching this movie. It was not what I expected at all. It's inappropriate and has lots of violent scenes. But if you are at the age where you no longer have to keep your eyes innocent then it's fine
Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan October 9, 2011

Blanchett robbed of the Oscar!

Elizabeth is owned by Cate Blanchett. Nothing in this film proves that statement wrong. From her innocent, young times, to her transformation to a powerful monarch, Blanchett sells the scenes as if she were reallly living them. That being said, this is one violent, highly sexualized film. Not for impressionable people, and most definitely NOT for kids.
Adult Written byshamrock4 March 1, 2011

Watch it!

What a great movie! As a lover of history, i would recommend learning a bit about the time period first. The sex is not gratuitous and any teen could handle it.