All member reviews for Elysium

Dazzling but heavy-handed sci-fi has violence, language.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek August 8, 2013

So Good!!!

Parents, this amazing and poignant masterpiece from the director of "District 9" is probably on your teens radar, but due to the nonstop language and graphic bloody violence, this sci-fi film is not for kids. The violence is intense and brutal, including stabbings, decapations, shootings, frenetic gunfire and gunplay, explosions, bodies blowing up, a man's skin on his face being cut off, intense weapons shown, the kidnapping of a sick young girl, all deaths on screen, lots of gore, nightmarish imagery in a dream sequences, and a suicide attempt. Language is constant and the most used in any film made in the last 5 years on record. Language includes 239 uses of f--k, 12 uses of s--t, one use of c--k and c--t, 109 uses of b-tch, and 3 uses of "godd-mnit". In the end, this acclaimed science fiction extravaganza is sure to impress and entertain audiences and win plenty of awards, but the content was clearly meant for adults. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: R For Strong Graphic Violence, Intense Images & Language Throughout.
Adult Written byCharlieBundy August 9, 2013

I was surprised how much i loved this movie

Thought the film was great, almost made me cry. Very enjoyable. NOT for children
Parent Written byg-g-g August 10, 2013

Entertaining but violent and heavy-handed on social issues--for older teens only

Like "District 9," Neil Bloomkamp's previous film, "Elysium" is for teenagers near voting age only. The level of violence is just too much for a 13- or 14-year-old--this from a parent who saw "Apocalypse Now" at 13 and thought it borderline back then. The heavy-handed social commentary--bordering on the caricature where "District 9" was more subtle and thoughtful--will probably satisfy the typical 16-year-old's readiness to express outrage at social injustice. To an adult, it feels overly simplistic and somewhat out-of-date already. In a time of Obamacare and shifting attitudes towards immigration across the political landscape, the metaphor of the desperate Spanish-speaking poor ready to risk everything for health care in the rich white world will soon look like yesterday's battle, a little like late 1980s Cold War films felt back when the rise of Japan seemed unstoppable. There's definitely something to view, enjoy and talk about with for parents and mature teenagers here, but I'll take "District 9" over "Elysium" as a support for that kind of discussion.
Kid, 12 years old August 6, 2014

AWESOME!

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLilster1 March 9, 2014

Violent, but amazing

Loved this movie. Some parts were a little gruesome and gory, but had a good story. Swearing wasn't too bad. Watched it with my 12 year old brother, nothing too bad. If your child is used to this kind of action, it's probably fine. My whole family enjoyed this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMichael Payton March 2, 2014

Elysium

A fest of dazzling visuals and special effects, this action-packed thriller certainly delivers. If there are any complaints, they are as follows: the language is unnecessarily excessive and the social commentary Neil Blomkamp is famous for is lacking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviwer November 13, 2013

OK movie for anyone above 13

There is multiple uses of cursing, like almost every 5 minutes. There also is intense fighting scenes, with a scene of Matt Damon's head cut open, multiple stabbing, and a guy's face getting blown by a grenade. I think 13 and up should be able to handle it just fine.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 30, 2013

The 99% meets "District 9"

"Elysium" is definitely a big budget step up from "District 9," but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily worse. It still has the stunning visuals you would expect from Blomkamp, and a ferocious villain to boot, but the connections with the characters are a little underwritten. It didn't reach its full potential, but "Elysium" is still leagues above the other summer competition.
Kid, 10 years old August 24, 2013

Matthew's Elysium Movie Review

I'm 10, only some kids my age would like this, i loved this movie, didn't close my eyes, but very bloody and violent, lots of stabbing and a ton of uses of F**K. shows a guy covered completely in blood. This Should Be the MPAA rating and the reason: This Film Is Rated: R for- Strong Bloody Violence, Instant Sc-Fi Violence, and Strong Lanuage
Teen, 15 years old Written bySithLordBeast August 12, 2013

good for teens

Elysium is a good movie and I recommend it to anyone 13-14 and older. It had a good plot but it largely resembled the movie "In Time" which was also a good movie. Matt Damon was really good and during the scenes on earth it was very gritty and well done (the whole movie was well done in my opinion). A lotta action and violence. The least bloody of it when a robot is shot into a million pieces in an awesome slow mo action scene and another robot's head is ripped off. More bloody violence includes a guy bursting into bloody bits, although the camera cuts away in a second. Another guy has half of his face blown off by a grenade. The scene cuts away quickly but you see the mutilated face for a good 5-10 seconds later before it is quickly repaired by futuristic technology. Language is also quite an issue with the f-word being used about 50-60 times and other language includes sh-- and the like. It's a good movie and I recommend it to any teen who doesn't have a weak stomach.
Parent Written bytomcatturbo August 11, 2013

Extremely VULGAR, F-BOMBS DROPPED Nearly 50x!!! NOT FOR KIDS

I went and saw this movie with a 12 and 8 year old today- by accident. I accidentlally thought this was a sci-fi movie and from the previews it looked pretty much ok for older kids. It was torrents of the F-word, Violence which was graphic and disturbing (Head gets blow up in slow motion) and Stabbings which are graphic. I was so uncomfortable watching this movie I nearly got up to leave. Matt Damon is a great actor, but he is absolutely crude and dissapointing.... I wasted my money, time and shouldn't have saw this movie. Especially with kids! It was predictable as well..
Teen, 15 years old Written byHHH98 September 7, 2013

Elysium

This has a gripping story line and a plot that keeps you motivated and captivated the whole way. But it is the most gory movie I have ever seen. With faces, heads and bodies blown off. A graphic surgery of drilling into the body and a "ugh" healing of a face being formed again. It does have language and themes of rich and poor. But through all that it is a film worth watching.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymattp August 28, 2013

Mature Content, Slightly Less Mature Messages.

To start off, Elysium is just about exactly the movie I expected to see, only slightly less mature in its ideas about society. Essentially, the violent content is just about how I expected it to be, however possibly slightly more or less violent in specific scenes. In other words, as I had predicted, it was extremely gory in single scenes at a time, and in the surgery scene, it wasn't nearly as gory as I had pictured it to be. In fact, despite having watched ultra-violent movies such as Kick-Ass, RoboCop and Blade Runner, I still covered my eyes in some scenes, such as when a grenade explodes and a man's face is half-blown off, eyeball, skin and everything (or at least I tried to, and did so later when they showed his face again), and when Max's (Matt Damon) surgery begins. So, in conclusion, if you're worried about the violence in the film, then I'd recommend the film to a 13 year old, as long as they they are mature, and they cover your eyes in select scenes. In terms of the quality of the actual movie, it was worth watching at best. The cinematography was mixed, in that some shots were great, but the shaky cam technique was used in excess, not that I love it being used at all. I felt that it took away from much of the beautiful special effects that should have been viewed in all of its glory. To be fair, this was mostly disappointing because in fact, the special effects were amazing, especially when viewed without the shaky cam technique. As for the story, it was touching at times, but derivative mostly, as it made out ALL wealthy people just to be power-hungry elitist heartless people, when in reality just because someone has wealth doesn't mean they refuse to share it with the poor, and it certainly doesn't make them ruthless and vicious (which were the two describing words of Jodie Foster's one note character). So, all in all, Elysium is a gritty, violent, somewhat simplified and epic movie that is worth viewing at least once, especially for sci-fi fans.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMrMoneybags August 13, 2013

14 at the least...

I went to go see Elysium with my dad the other day. I have to say, this was the action movie we were both looking for. The violence was constant but never too heavy. The camera lingered on a characters head that had been blown apart for about 10 seconds. Other than that, most PG-13 movies have the same amount. What interested me most about the movie, the all of the computer generated effects. In other words, the movie looked amazing. The language is pretty mild for a R movie. There was no sex at all, even District 9 had a couple references. The overall tone of the movie was pretty dark though, I did like the message about free universal health-care. I think there was a lot to take away from this movie, most of it didn't sink in until a day later... I saw a lot of reviews from people who had taken their kids to see the movie because the trailer looked like a PG-13 movie. Even though it is rated R, I think it just barely earned it. If they had cut the language (which is nothing a teenager won't hear in school) and the scene with the dismembered face, it would have been PG-13. Overall I would say it's fine for most kids 14 and up, also I give it a 9.5/10
Parent of an infant and 4 year old Written byNichole1 January 16, 2014

Good movie, not for kids

Though the movie attacks some great topics, and my son is smart enough to keep up, I don't think its for kids. The violence is graphic and over the top. When I was in the theater with my husband, someone actually had toddlers, AND a baby in their. Too much for them and I would be surprised if those kids didnt have nightmares.
Kid, 12 years old January 12, 2014

Great thinking movie! 5 stars!

I think it a great film that makes you think about how the world is today. There is a lot of violence and language. Some kids and even adults might not even be able to get some of the political satire. I happen to be 12. I got the relationships between the officials and the citizens on earth. I loved this film because it makes you think and realize stuff that goes on around you.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySnookle December 6, 2013

ELYSIUM: strong violence and coarse language

This film, I enjoyed very much. I have never been allowed to watch horror movies from a young age, and from when I was very little, my parents would constantly monitor what I watched. When I turned twelve and thirteen, my dad especially became a bit more lenient. I watched this film recently, and it was very enjoyable. The violence is pretty intense in parts, but there's quick editing and the main thing that is most gruesome is when a guy gets his face blown off by a grenade, and you see his face afterwards. There's language throughout, mostly f-words, but I think the violence is far more of a concern. There isn't much sex, but one of the characters is a very gross guy, who kidnaps a woman and then cuddles up to her and is generally obnoxious and icky. Another character asks her to 'play' with him, and he keeps asking when she says no. (Though it never happens, instead there's more violence) The main character and the same woman have a sweet relationship as children, but there's never any kissing or physical contact. With a 'correct age' for this movie, I think it's hard to pick one, because it highly depends upon what your child has been allowed to previously watch, and how desensitised they are. I do, however, believe that no-one under that age of twelve/thirteen should watch it. And just remember that this movie is rated R in America, and MA in Australia for strong violence and coarse language.
Kid, 10 years old August 23, 2013

ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF THE LAST DECADE

With District 9 being a sci-fi classic. I have been eagerly waiting for Elysium from the writer/director of district 9. And let me tell you I was not disappointed. The film was absolutely fantastic, amazing special effects and a great performance from Sharlto Copley. Elysium is one of the best movies to be made in the last decade
Kid, 12 years old August 13, 2013

Awesomely violent

Very good movie but pretty gruesome for little ones. I would have parents see it first to see if its ok for there child.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTactical Vigilance August 13, 2013

Elysium is a great movie,and if a teen wants to see it really,he/she should close his eyes at the right time

I liked this film.It visually stunning.The main character is like you'd expect,out for himself first,then he's selfless.That sounds cliche,and it is.It's the execution that matters,though.He has a personality and is nice with kids in the movie.He isn't a killing machine.There are consequences for his actions,too.The protagonist Max actually has to wear an exoskeleton if he is to survive on the Elysium space station.This armor suit is actually,like Common Sense said,surgically put on.This means that in order for Max to be more physically awesome,he has to go through a painful operation.Now as for my review title,I think a couple boys or two might want to see Elysium.Don't allow anyone under 15 is my reccomendation.If this is your teen's first time to an R,don't worry the commercials are green band.Moments he/she should close their eye is during the surgery and after a grenade is about to explode in a ship.Don't take what I'm going to say next as a personal attack.It's a counter argument.To the person talking about the French Revolution:the CSM reviewer believes societal issues should be discussed because it's happening right now,just not in the grand scale someone would think. "shoo!step aside from the door!no pets allowed (metaphorical children)!" says the guard just doing his job.You also say that guns are the solution,now kill everyone and take their stuff!I disagree.At the end of the movie,how shall I put this without spoiling.Hmmm.This:sharing is caring.the whole planet,you know?now citizens?original citizens not killed?There,I don't think I spoiled anything.To the person hating the film because it's vulgar:there isn't any racist or sexist language in the movie,just F-bombs and hells.This movie is the real world.Feel free to disagree.It's your fault you brought two kids to this film.Don't blame it on Elysium.